Town of Pittsford Recreation Dept
60F / 16C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 24m 28s
Overall Rank = 34/168
Age Group = 30-39 female
Age Group Rank = 2/20
Pre-race routine:

Background - I count this as my first tri really. Theoretically it is my 2nd. I did a sprint one in UK about 5 years ago as a big dare at work but didn't take it seriously like this one. It did mean that I didn't find transitions as scary as a genuine first timer though.

I was 3rd overall female

Slept well and found myself surprisningly awake when alarm went off at 5.15am (I really must do some early morning training to get used to mornings).
Forced some oatmeal down, pumped my tyres, threw everything into car and went to race (local - only 5 miles away). It was raining.
Got there at 6.10 and a queue of people standing in rain waiting for bibs etc. Think they were late (told to get there 6 to 6.30) which meant everything else was then a rush. I was number 49 and I had only just racked my bike when they said numbers 1 to 50 should be at the pool. Put my transition stuff in plastic bags to keep as dry as possible and headed to the pool.
Event warmup:

I was worried that I would have to jump straight in and go but the pool was L -shaped so there was room to do a tiny amount of warming up in the water before we went. I was grateful for this since I know when I first start swimming I can feel "winded" after first couple of lengths.
Forgot to eat my banana in all the rushing.

Swim
  • 05m 52s
  • 300 yards
  • 01m 58s / 100 yards
Comments:

5th overall female
I knew pushing myself on swim would only save a few seconds so I was pretty relaxed and just swam up and down and a comfortable pace.
Placed myself about right I think. I did pass 2 people but no one caught up with me.
The timing mat was out of the pool building, across a bit of carpark and down some steps so the swim time won't be just time in pool
What would you do differently?:

Practice tumble turns under lane ropes (which I didn't do)
Transition 1
  • 01m 50s
Comments:

12th in age group, 27th overall female - definitely room for improvement!
Sat down in rain to put shoes and socks on. Socks went on better than I thought so all seemed to go quite well. Didn't need to rinse feet which was good.
Most people put on a long sleeved top as the weather was so horrid but I hadn't planned for it so didn't even think about it and off I went.

Nothing, felt I was organised and efficient
Bike
  • 47m 12s
  • 15 miles
  • 19.07 mile/hr
Comments:

1st overall female - I'd never have guessed that cycling was my strength!

Having ridden the course before I knew that the hardest parts for me were a couple of rolling hills in first half. Think my mental preparation was good as I talked myself over them. Passed a few people and one person whizzed past me but all in all felt quite alone on the road. Shame really as I was hoping there would always be someone I could see up front to motivate me to keep going.
Went by very fast and hubby and my boys and my friend were waving as I came into T2.
People commented afterwards that they found it hard with rain into their faces. Now I know with hindsight I wasn't particularly slow and I didn't feel that a problem so wonder if it was the extra peak on my bike helmet.

Nothing - felt like a good ride to me
Transition 2
  • 01m 3s
Comments:

10th in age group, 22nd overall female

Hands were quite cold which I only realised as I was trying to pull my running shoes on

Learn to get off my bike faster and more elegantly!
Run
  • 28m 31s
  • 3.3 miles
  • 08m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

The first half mile or so I found hard for a surprising reason. My legs were fine (or perhaps numb with cold?) but I felt really breathless. I just told myself to keep going and it would wear off which it did. I overtook 3 people on the first hill about half a mile in and then I saw no one (except a distant blob at one point on a long straight bit) for the rest of the course.

I did stop at one point to try and adjust my timing chip. It was low on my ankle and was rubbing between my shoe and skin. Adjustment only worked temporarily though and I have the blister to prove it!

I really could have done with some other runners there to push myself. Felt nice and strong at the finish.

Push myself a bit harder as I wasn't as tired as I expected at the finish.

Put the timing chip higher up on ankle (but won't it slip back down?) so it doesn't rub between my skin and shoe.
Post race
Warm down:

Walking around and chatted to people. Eventually ate a banana (the one I had forgotten to eat at start)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

This was a good race for me and I am absolutely GOBSMACKED at my result and how well I did.

With hindsight looks like my transitions need work (and I thought they went fine!). Always thought running was the weaker of the three for me but didn't realise that I was so strong on the bike!

Looking forward to my first Olympic distance in 4 weeks

Event comments:

The start was a bit of a mess. Turning up earlier wouldn't have helped cos the organisers weren't ready with the bibs. Standing in a long queue waiting for this and body marking etc in the rain was not fun. Didn't have time to think about anything after that except set out transition and rush to pool as I was number 49 and they were calling 1 to 50.
Was one corner on run I wish they had a volunteer but luckily I knew the route quite well. There wasn't an arrow or anything on that particular turn.
Full points to helpful smiling, encouraging volunteers on a rainy Sunday morning!
There was pizza, cookies and cold drinks at end which was nice. However, given the weather after the first 10minutes I really could have done with a hot drink. Also fruit would have been nice.
There was a long wait for awards etc at end but that was always going to be the nature of the event with a staggered start and waiting for last person to finish. I am sure the wait would have been OK if the weather was nicer.

Last updated: 2006-04-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:52 | 300 yards | 01m 58s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/20
Overall: 29/168
Performance: Average
Suit: tri suit - pool swim
Course: Up and back 6 lanes (under lane rope every 2 lengths) at 20 second intervals.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:50
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:47:12 | 15 miles | 19.07 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/20
Overall: 22/168
Performance:
Wind:
Course: One loop with rolling hills. No big horrors but enough (for me) to use all my gears
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 90
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:03
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:28:31 | 03.3 miles | 08m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/20
Overall: 72/168
Performance: Average
Course: It is a loop around roads. No major hills but a few gentlish slopes to keep the heart pounding!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-06-04 1:30 PM

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
Subject: Town of Pittsford Triathlon

2006-06-04 3:30 PM
in reply to: #442510

User image

Master
Canandaigua
Subject: RE: Town of Pittsford Triathlon
Congratulation on your first Tri.
You were up there with Maramadaddy and Chris, I was around a 1:34.

Looked fo you there. Sorry we missed you. We started really late. 1 hour.

OWS starts this friday at 7:00

Dex

Edited by dexter 2006-06-04 3:41 PM
2006-06-04 7:36 PM
in reply to: #442563

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
Subject: RE: Town of Pittsford Triathlon
just bumping this up now cos the results are out so I have entered splits etc

Jackie
2006-06-04 7:53 PM