General Discussion Race Reports! » Mooseman Triathlon Festival - International Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Mooseman Triathlon Festival - International Distance - TriathlonOther

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Bristol, New Hampshire
United States
57F / 14C
Precipitation
Total Time = 3h 49m 47s
Overall Rank = 523/574
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 22/26
Pre-race routine:

I got to NH at around 3:30 Friday afternoon. I was rooming with KathyG and Emily. They weren't there yet and it was raining and miserable so I decided to drive the bike course. I've never been there before and I have only seen a picture of the infamous "Devil hill". After seeing that and many other large hills I was pretty psyched out!
Met up with Kathy..picked up my race packet and we checked into the motel. We each had our own little room to sleep in. It was great!
We had dinner with Rob(CptnJackSparrow) at Cuna Mara restaurant...it was Irish... not Mexican, but yummy anyway
Got up at 4:30. I slept pretty well at the motel. I had my usual cereal and milk and 2 cups of coffee.
I had no idea what to wear...so I brought various items with me.
Event warmup:

Hung out with BT ers Kathy, Ellen, Laura, May, Max.. saw Amanda and met Jorge for the first time.

Set up transition in the rain...not fun. I had my stuff in green trash bags and inside I had 1 little plastic bag each for T1 and T2.

I swam for around 10 minutes. The water felt really cold on my face at first but I got used to it quickly.
Swim
  • 34m 34s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 07s / 100 yards
Comments:

My goal was to feel comfortable and just swim without getting panicky and out of breath.
I stayed way out on the right side so I could swim by myself. It worked. I swam a little extra doing this, but I get nervous with people swimming all over me. I felt calm and strong like I could have kept going.
What would you do differently?:

Get used to swimming with people all around. Not likely though.
Transition 1
  • 07m 24s
Comments:

I was staggering like I was drunk coming out of the water. I am always dizzy after swimming. I have no idea why.
This time is terrible!! I know. I had to sit on my towel and peel the wetsuit off my heels. I got my shirt on...then I can't decide what to wear, vest or jacket...hmm. I finally decide on the vest...like I have all the time in the world. Then I put on my helmet, but my glasses are not inside...I need them to see... So I am panicked. I can't find them in either bag. I am searching the muddy ground. Now I am thinking that I can't race because my glasses are gone. Finally I find them in my running shoe. I put them there so they wouldn't get wet!. Like that really mattered in the long run.

Everything!!

Learn to set up transition.
Bike
  • 1h 50m 48s
  • 27.34 miles
  • 14.81 mile/hr
Comments:

My goal was to not crash or get a flat on the bike. Also not to be upset if I walked up Devil hill.

My shoes had so much mud on them I couldn't clip in right away. It took me awhile to figure that out...they have never even been dirty before because I don't ride in the rain! So now I am dreading the bike..
At about mile 2, my feet are completely soaked and cold.
I knew when to expect Devil hill so I was prepared when I saw the devil lady at the bottom dancing away. I took it easy up the first part (thanks Kathy for the advice) and then just went for it. I was wheezing by the time I got to the top, but I was really happy to have made it!! There was a nice downhill recovery afer that. I saw both Ellen and Kathy on devil hill....it was pretty funny that we were all there, but I think it made me get up the hill!
The course was hilly but fun. If it wasn't raining, it would have been better. I couldn't see very well because my glasses were so wet.
I did drop my gatorade bottle and then I almost crashed because it was under my tire...scary

Wear something a little warmer...I was cold.
Maybe get used to riding when the roads are wet.
Transition 2
  • 04m 59s
Comments:

I had to rummage for my hat and my dry socks since I totally messed up my bags looking for my glasses. I was so glad to have them because my socks were soaked and my feet were cold.
It was a muddy mess in there!!

practice transition more
Run
  • 1h 12m 4s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 11m 36s  min/mile
Comments:

My goal was to stay slow and steady...no negative thoughts.

It took a while before I got feeling back in my feet! They were cold.
I was happy with this time, especially since I walked through the water stops. I also walked up one hill and used the porta-potty..(with a one piece suit on).
I got to see Frank (my friend from work), May, Laura, Amanda, Kathy and Ellen on the run. That makes it so much more fun. They all looked great!

become a better runner
Post race
Warm down:

I was so happy to cross the finish line..with BTers cheering! Thanks guys!! This was a big deal for me to do an olympic distance! In my mind I didn't really think I could do it.
When I saw mile marker 5, I finally realized that I WAS doing it!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

the rain!!
bad transition times

Event comments:

This race was a blast and I hope to do it again next year. It made it more fun to see people from BT. Especially since my family couldn't be there.
They do a great job with this race despite the horrible weather!

Last updated: 2006-02-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:34 | 1640 yards | 02m 07s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/26
Overall: 465/574
Performance: Good
Suit: Zoot wetsuit
Course: triangle
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 07:24
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
01:50:48 | 27.34 miles | 14.81 mile/hr
Overall: 506/574
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: hilly route around Newfound Lake
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 04:59
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
01:12:04 | 06.21 miles | 11m 36s  min/mile
Overall: 542/574
Performance: Average
Course: out and back with hills
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-06-04 11:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Plymouth MA
Subject: Mooseman Triathlon Festival - International Distance

2006-06-05 3:54 AM
in reply to: #442930

Online or Offline
Subject: RE: Mooseman Triathlon Festival - International Distance
You guys had a BT get together on Devil Hill and no one said anything about it??

Nice race strategy and glad it worked out for you. Definitely seems like you had a good time despite the rain!
2006-06-05 5:07 AM

User image

Master
Maine
Great job staying positive and enjoying yourself in nasty conditions. And you beat the devil hill! Nice getting to meet you - thanks for volunteering yesterday.
2006-06-05 5:44 AM

User image

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431
see?   I knew you could do it! You looked amazingly strong as you whipped by me going up that hill  LOL
2006-06-05 6:15 AM

User image

Master
Canandaigua
Great work Pat. You should be very proud of yourself. Now I can say I'll do an Oly. Sounds like Devil was a big accomplishiment.

I know what you mean in the rain the transition site goes to hell fast. My was a mess yesterday too.
2006-06-05 6:19 AM

Pro
Andover
That hill ain't so bad after all, is it?

Nice job in poor conditions. Way to stay positive and get 'er done!

2006-06-05 6:27 AM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Great job and really cool that you and your friends were so close. I feel your pain on the glasses in the rain. Glasses tip for transition, put them in your bike helmet and sit the helmet on top of your handlebars.
2006-06-05 7:00 AM

User image

Master
Bronze member
HOORAY FOR PATTY!!!!!!I knew you could do it!!!!!What horrendous conditions to do your first OLy-but now you KNOW you can do just about ANYTHING you set your mind to..Great job!!!!!
It was really great the BT women could hang & race together- the picture max took of the SIX of you is AWESOME....IYou overcame all kinds of "glitches" that could have deterred you- Congrats for sticking with yuor plan and the race..You must feel GREAT today as you realize your accomplishment. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!
2006-06-05 7:03 AM

Champion

You did fantastic!  It was such rough conditions, easy for someone to just quit and drop out.  Having the other BT-ers around really makes a big difference, and it's motivating to have someone out there cheering for you.  Great job on a rough day!!

(RS_Mooseman024.jpg)

(RS_Mooseman004.jpg)

(RS_Mooseman017.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
RS_Mooseman024.jpg (69KB - 74 downloads)
RS_Mooseman004.jpg (74KB - 82 downloads)
RS_Mooseman017.jpg (75KB - 71 downloads)
2006-06-05 7:39 AM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA

Great job! Congratulations in accomplishing your goal in such rough conditions... it was hard!

2006-06-05 8:53 AM

User image

Pro
MA
Great job Patty.  You look good in the pictures!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mooseman Triathlon Festival - International Distance Rss Feed