General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Almost hit by a car last night Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-06-21 7:13 AM

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
Subject: Almost hit by a car last night
So I often see threads on here where people have had close calls on their bikes while doing training rides on the roads. I always think to myself that this kind of thing only happens on tight roads with no shoulder or major roadways with alot of traffic. Well, for the first time ever I had a very close call with a car and it scared the you know what out of me. I was on a training ride at a local industrial park with several other triathletes (2.5 mile loop-not alot of cars on road at all, after business hours). I was biking on the shoulder and passed an intersection where a car was rolling to a stop sign. After I passed, the vehicle came out and was driving behind me. At this time, there was a full lane open, a shoulder (which I was on) and the left turn lane and lane in other direction. All lanes were open and he was the only vehicle on the road. Basically, he came up right next to me, into the shoulder and was about 2 inches from hitting me and then he swerved back into his lane. At this time I started to loudly use curse words at him because I knew they had the windows down. I personally think he did it on purpose but you never know. It felt like it was slow motion when it happened and I had to quickly move my bike as to not get hit. I just wanted to say that we should all remember to remain focused while out on the bike and constantly be aware of our surroundings. Ride safe everyone!

2012-06-21 7:37 AM
in reply to: #4272936

Expert
Subject: RE: Almost hit by a car last night

Could have been on purpose but I do see cars all over the road from drivers texting, looking for a radio station, trying to get something out of the back seat and generally doing anything but actually paying attention to their driving.  The number of times I have watched a car in front of me slowly drift out onto the shoulder strait at a big tree and only pull it back quickly when the tire actually leaves pavement is incredible!  Never assume a driver has any idea where their car is going.

2012-06-21 8:59 AM

User image

Master
Salisbury, North Carolina
Trainers work really well.
2012-06-21 9:16 AM

User image

Master
University Park, MD

... and if only he knew what you are when you're not being a biker dude.

A scary story indeed. This is among the reasons why I (i) wear a bright yellow jersey when I ride outside, (ii) ride indoors 99% of the time. I changed my riding habits after a collarbone break in an incident with a car that was going to fast on a narrow lane.

2012-06-21 9:46 AM

User image

TX
Definitely be careful and don't assume that people see you.  I was hit walking through a crosswalk and I've been sidelined from activity for a couple months now, with probably another several to go before I can bike or run again with any intensity.
2012-06-21 9:56 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Syracuse, NY

I feel the same and want to yell and curse and flip someone off but the fact of the matter is this....

If they are that 'stupid' to ride you then they are "this close" from being ticked off into hitting you, pulling a gun, pulling ahead to stop and swing a bat or tackle you off your bike etc. You've got a 4000 lb car up against a 20lb bike (give or take). Regardless of what you do outside of this sport there is always someone crazier than you out there. And those people are even more apt to do something if there is someone else in the car with them saying,"Did you hear what he said??? You gonna let him get away with that????"

2012-06-21 10:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley

Sadly there was a story a few years back when a young girl struck and killed four people on bikes in Monterey.  Plenty of room on the road but she was leaning down looking for some music and drifted into the bikes.

Four people killed and the girl was a complete wreck.  In fact the DA opted to not charge her.  He said sending her to prison would serve no purpose plus it was clear she would be dealing with it for years to come.

The point is I would not rule out malice but I think it far more likely sheer stupidity.  Glad you are OK.

2012-06-21 10:19 AM

User image

Wisconsin
Very scary and I'm glad you are ok.  I have a co-worker who has been hit twice this summer already (Chicago area).  Both drivers got out of their cars and had thought that they killed him.  At that point they were shaking and were so upset but... after the fact right?!  He is fine, no major damage to him but to one of his bikes yes.  In the end the only good thing is there are two more drivers that hopefully will be aware of bikes on the road going forward.  I fear that this is only getting worse and will continue to do so given the amount of inattentive drivers on the roads.  What can be done?  We wear screaming yellow when we are out and have had drivers come up to us at stop lights and say "we saw you about a mile away"!  You can only see the bright colors if you are paying attention to the road though.  Everyone just needs to be so careful out there.  Assume nothing, remember that it's not worth yelling or flipping them off and most of all raise a "thank you" hand to the drivers that do see you and pull over and give you space.  They remember your kindness and will pass it along to other bikers!
2012-06-21 10:52 AM
in reply to: #4273152

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL
tri42 - 2012-06-21 8:59 AM Trainers work really well.
And do nothing for bike handling skills.
2012-06-21 3:05 PM

Not bicycle related, but once I was going down the highway on a motorcycle I used to have, and somebody nearly ran me off the road. I had to repeatedly kick their door and pound on their window before they realized I was there.
2012-06-21 4:14 PM

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
Just so glad the word ALMOST was in the title. Stay safe brother.

2012-06-21 4:23 PM
in reply to: #4274160

User image

Expert
Prattville Insane Asylum San Antonio

TheClaaaw - 2012-06-21 4:14 PM Just so glad the word ALMOST was in the title. Stay safe brother.

This ^^ Glad you are safe!  

2012-06-21 4:45 PM
in reply to: #4274171

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Yep, got to be careful out there...
2012-06-21 11:13 PM

User image

Regular
Pleasanton

Intentionally running a bicycle off the road = assault with a deadly weapon

I was hit head on last August by some jackwad with no license or insurance. A week before this ride I competed in a triathlon and took my fore and aft lights off my bike. I forgot to put them back on before this ride and I strongly feel that if they were on my bike and flashing away, the accident would have never happened. This was during the daytime, but that flashing light attracts attention to drivers not paying attention. Its subconscious. I dont know why I rarely ever see another cyclist riding during the daytime without lighting equipment. All that money on batteries wont equal what your medical expenses will be when you get hit! Think about that...

Funny Story:

Last May I competed in the Morgan Hill Sprint Triathlon. 2 miles into the bike I was riding in a small pack and we could hear a car approaching and blasting its horn. We looked back to see a PT Cruiser playing chicken with bikers on the race course. I immediately had a great idea...I said to the other folks in the group "hey, watch this". I pulled ahead slightly and waited for the car. Honking away, this jerk decided to turn his wheels into me. I unclipped my left foot and buried by size 11 cleat and carbon soles into the passenger door. I dont mean like a toe-tap, I mean a full on Jackie Chan move. I must have caused irreparable damage to this guys door. I also exclaimed how he should fornicate with himself. I got a nice little cheer from the others around me and the car stopped honking and drove off, disturbing noone else.

2012-06-22 8:46 AM

User image

Every time you ride on the road, you are trusting each driver to being paying attention, controlling their vehicle and aware of you.  Your lights help.  You paying attention helps.  Etc.  But ultimately it just takes one driver to screw up and you are toast.  Comforting isn't it.

Jim

2012-06-22 1:41 PM
in reply to: #4274685

User image

Expert
Savannah
DIETRIING - 2012-06-22 12:13 AM

Intentionally running a bicycle off the road = assault with a deadly weapon

I was hit head on last August by some jackwad with no license or insurance. A week before this ride I competed in a triathlon and took my fore and aft lights off my bike. I forgot to put them back on before this ride and I strongly feel that if they were on my bike and flashing away, the accident would have never happened. This was during the daytime, but that flashing light attracts attention to drivers not paying attention. Its subconscious. I dont know why I rarely ever see another cyclist riding during the daytime without lighting equipment. All that money on batteries wont equal what your medical expenses will be when you get hit! Think about that...

Funny Story:

Last May I competed in the Morgan Hill Sprint Triathlon. 2 miles into the bike I was riding in a small pack and we could hear a car approaching and blasting its horn. We looked back to see a PT Cruiser playing chicken with bikers on the race course. I immediately had a great idea...I said to the other folks in the group "hey, watch this". I pulled ahead slightly and waited for the car. Honking away, this jerk decided to turn his wheels into me. I unclipped my left foot and buried by size 11 cleat and carbon soles into the passenger door. I dont mean like a toe-tap, I mean a full on Jackie Chan move. I must have caused irreparable damage to this guys door. I also exclaimed how he should fornicate with himself. I got a nice little cheer from the others around me and the car stopped honking and drove off, disturbing noone else.

Note above...this is what NOT to do.

2012-06-22 2:04 PM
in reply to: #4273217

User image

Master
Fulton, MD
colinphillips - 2012-06-21 10:16 AM

... and if only he knew what you are when you're not being a biker dude.

Haha - yeah, assuming you were OK, can you imagine the guy's joy when he found out he just ran over a police officer?

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Almost hit by a car last night Rss Feed