of 3

2012-06-25 6:52 AM
in reply to: #4277887

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Subject: RE: Aggressive Swimmers
smoothj - 2012-06-24 7:34 PM

How do I get a number when I'm in the water?  My theory is if you make contact you back off or go around.  The fast people just pass with no problem.  This person. once she made contact, kept trying to push me out of the way.  I didn't want to be rude, but I felt like I needed to show her that she couldn't push me around.  Is there a swin technique to handle this?

I had the same thing happen in a recent race - pretty annoying... The other swimmer and I just happened to be occupying the same space at the same time, she (I assume it was a she, as it was most likely a swimmer in my wave) was slightly behind me, and for a period of time, we kept crossing paths, as frequently happens in an open water swim. On at least two occasions, the other swimmer didn't give me a gently push to the side as suggested by KSH, but actually grabbed my calf with what felt like 2 hands and SHOVED my legs to the side - at least she wasn't pushing down, but it was still pretty annoying, rude, and a waste of energy for the other swimmer... My response to this swimmer was - - - to just kept swimming my own race. Not worth wasting MY energy to try to respond to that in any way....

2012-06-25 10:02 AM
in reply to: #4277877

User image

Veteran
asheville, nc

AdventureBear - 2012-06-24 7:24 PM Nothing...just swim your swim. REcall that you are swimming in water, which is a fluid medium. One or both of you will just float away from each other as the two cannot occupy the same space. you can be aggressive and waste energy, or you can just let it go and keep swimming. Just keep swimming.

Agreed, you have to let it go, or it'll ruin your race. I'm speaking from experience.  I got into it with a swimmer one time, who pushed me down and tried to swim over me.  I shoved him off me, and he retalitated with a punch to my shoulder.  Regardless who was right, I lost.  my HR skyrocketed to 200 and it completely ruined my race.  When those things happen now, I just move and let them by. You'll forget it happened 10 seconds later and you just keep swimming your swim.

2012-06-25 10:12 AM
in reply to: #4277851

User image

Master
I doubt you are experiencing "aggressive" or intentional contact. The goal is to get to the finish line as fast as you can, and intentionally swimming in to people slows that down. More likely, you are dealing with someone who is having their own sighting issues. (And let's face it we've all had them.)

When I have this problem, I just try to get out of the way. But contact happens. It's part of the sport. I always try to accept it and do my best to deal.
2012-06-25 10:19 AM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
I accidentally swam over a young guy (teenager/college age) at my mini tri in puerto rico. It was a fun tri with the local club. It was our 2nd go at the mini tri of 500yd swim 3 mi bike, 1 mi run, so there were fewer participants. First bouy was straight out about 30 yards, then a hard right turn along the shore. I started in the back as many of hte locals were very aggressive (but not fast) swimmers. I didn't want to have to sprint in the beginnig just to get away from them.

Right before the first bouy I came up on this young man and could clearly see his struggle. He could swim bu was not pretty. Every time he breathed his hips would plummet 2 feet down. I touched his toes once...then the were gone. I thought he was out of my way, but they were just depe in the water. My next stroke placed me directly over his body which had sunk whiel he was breathing. When he took HIS next stroke, he'd leveled off and there I was on top of him briefly.

I kept swimming and moved far away from him so as not to cause him any more issues.

I felt bad, but it is what it is.
2012-06-25 10:40 AM

User image

Pro
It's a triathlon swim....there will be contact....if it bothers you (not singling out anyone in particular) then you should work to get over it or find another sport.  The contact is not going away.
2012-06-25 11:02 AM
in reply to: #4278875

User image

Phoenix AZ

Left Brain - 2012-06-25 9:40 AM It's a triathlon swim....there will be contact....if it bothers you (not singling out anyone in particular) then you should work to get over it or find another sport.  The contact is not going away.

this, or start further back or to the side. this kind of advice is infinitely wiser and more useful than "kick like a mule if someone makes incidental contact with your toes" - that's what i'd expect to hear from an inexperienced, insecure beginning swimmer. not a "coach".

2012-06-25 11:13 AM
in reply to: #4278937

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Bunsbert Montcroff - 2012-06-25 10:02 AM

Left Brain - 2012-06-25 9:40 AM It's a triathlon swim....there will be contact....if it bothers you (not singling out anyone in particular) then you should work to get over it or find another sport.  The contact is not going away.

this, or start further back or to the side. this kind of advice is infinitely wiser and more useful than "kick like a mule if someone makes incidental contact with your toes" - that's what i'd expect to hear from an inexperienced, insecure beginning swimmer. not a "coach".

A couple of years ago there was a swimmer I believe at FLA St. Anthony's Oly, who was a very good swimmer according to family. She died and the suspected mechanism was being kicked in the head.

I would not want to be responsible for this.

When someone is on my toes i actually kick less. It doesn't affect my swim much and I know I won't hurt them. I'm secure enough in my own pace and swimming ability to know that 5-10 seconds of easier kicking will have no material impact on my final outcome...as is the case for 98% of age group swimmers/triathletes.

If someone was deliberately putting a hand on my shoulder and pushing me away, I think I'd find it pretty funny and keep up my pestering knowing that they have the skill to play games in the water as well.

I teach my swimmers to share the space, swim like spirits, slipping in and out of hte open spaces in front of them, parting two busy kickers in front with a wider sweeping entry, using a wide recovery with fingertip drag to create space...all of this in a non-aggressive manner that keeps them inside their own body, heart rates and anxiety undercontrol and poses no risk of injury or agitation to any other swimmers. Swim like a buddist.

Edited by AdventureBear 2012-06-25 11:15 AM
2012-06-25 11:16 AM

User image

There is contact, and there is CONTACT. IMTX was by far the worst I've ever experienced, and it is my opinion that there are a lot of people who just don't sight or they don't sight well. Not a judgement on others, but a statement of opinion based on watching how many people zigzag during swim portions of tris. I don't have a problem with contact, but when that contact is aggressive swimming by another that is coming up from behind you and 1) refusing to just go around, 2) groping portions of me that only my husband should, and/or 3) causing me problems on my swim, I don't think I'd have a problem kicking harder to get my point across.

So in summary, contact okay. It can and does happen. A lot. Aggressive crappy swimmer contact not okay. How you handle is up to you, but be prepared to deal with the consequences of what you do.

2012-06-25 11:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Torrance, CA

99.99% of the time, it's unintentional and the person who is getting bumped/rubbed/kicked/swam over/etc is making much more out of it than what it actually is.  

It doesn't make sense for a complete stranger to choose you out of a crowd (during a competition no less) and start picking on you just for the sake of picking on you.

2012-06-25 11:34 AM
in reply to: #4278097

User image

Expert
Wendell, NC
rkreuser - 2012-06-24 10:12 PM
KSH - 2012-06-24 8:09 PM
smoothj - 2012-06-24 6:34 PM

How do I get a number when I'm in the water?  My theory is if you make contact you back off or go around.  The fast people just pass with no problem.  This person. once she made contact, kept trying to push me out of the way.  I didn't want to be rude, but I felt like I needed to show her that she couldn't push me around.  Is there a swin technique to handle this?

Well, I like to teach what I call "defensive swimming". It's really very basic.... 1) if someone touches your toes, you start kicking really hard. It will let them know someone is there, and that someone is NOT going down easy, so they better go around. 2) if someone is on your side, you can place a hand on them and push them away. Simple as that. Not push them UNDER, but away from you. Works best on the shoulder.

Holy hell. You teach that? So much to say here that I won't. 

Whatever happened to picking the right starting spot, finding some open water, and adjusting as you go? 

To the OP, AdventureBear got it right: swim your race, adjust as you need to, and don't burn a lot of energy trying to deal with goofy swimmers. You'll save energy and get 'em on the bike and run. Just stay cool. 

x2

2012-06-25 11:50 AM
in reply to: #4278964

New user

AdventureBear - 2012-06-25 11:13 AM
 I teach my swimmers to share the space, swim like spirits, slipping in and out of hte open spaces in front of them, parting two busy kickers in front with a wider sweeping entry, using a wide recovery with fingertip drag to create space...all of this in a non-aggressive manner that keeps them inside their own body, heart rates and anxiety undercontrol and poses no risk of injury or agitation to any other swimmers. Swim like a buddist.

I actually really like that thought - "Swim like a Buddist".   You wouldn't swerve at another biker to make a point, or push another runner off the path, right?  Of course not.  You'd race your race.  But for some reason, it's acceptable to talk about "aggressive" swimming.  It's idiocy, and a good way to cause a panic attack or a drowning.  I have to believe that the vast majority of the contact in the swim is unintentional at any level below a HIM, so to react to it as though it is an intentional move on someone else's part to harm you is simply over reacting. 

If it is a poor swimmer in the middle of the pack that gets that "aggressive" kick to "warn" them, and they panic, one of two things is going to happen:  at a minimum, you are going to have one less person involved in our sport, and it's just as likely all the spectators on the beach are going to watch a water rescue and worry about what is going on.

2012-06-25 11:59 AM

User image

Expanding on this  ^^^

There is only one answer, whether you are a fast swimmer or a slow swimmer.  Do not swim over anyone, if you are fast, and move out of the way if someone is getting aggressive with you.  As a faster swimmer that starts in later waves, I have to swim through huge packs every race.   Including at the last two races very slow swimmers swimming backstroke perpendicularly to the course.  Most races here in So Cal are in pretty murky water, many times into the sun, and I don't see the person until I am on them, at which point I veer around them.  Closely, and there will be contact, but it's very minor.

If I've touched your feet, I am sorry.  It was an accident.   There is no excuse for me to swim over you, or for you to start kicking hard "to teach me a lesson."  I am 6'2" and 210, played NCAA Div. I water polo, no one needs to teach me a lesson about getting rough in the water.  Trust me, if I wanted to, I would win that "lesson."  But I am there to race, not get aggro in the water to prove a point.  Swim venues are usually fairly large areas.  I've moved away from people getting aggressive with me, since it's simply faster than engaging in aggressive behavior.

2012-06-25 12:03 PM
in reply to: #4279040

User image

Expert
Prattville Insane Asylum San Antonio
JakeMcCandles - 2012-06-25 11:50 AM

AdventureBear - 2012-06-25 11:13 AM

I actually really like that thought - "Swim like a Buddist".   You wouldn't swerve at another biker to make a point, or push another runner off the path, right?  Of course not.  You'd race your race.  But for some reason, it's acceptable to talk about "aggressive" swimming.  It's idiocy, and a good way to cause a panic attack or a drowning.  I have to believe that the vast majority of the contact in the swim is unintentional at any level below a HIM, so to react to it as though it is an intentional move on someone else's part to harm you is simply over reacting. 

If it is a poor swimmer in the middle of the pack that gets that "aggressive" kick to "warn" them, and they panic, one of two things is going to happen:  at a minimum, you are going to have one less person involved in our sport, and it's just as likely all the spectators on the beach are going to watch a water rescue and worry about what is going on.

Being a buddhist, I love this idea.  I had an issue this weekend in my race, that I will share.  

I started the race it was a TT style swim start.  I was in the last group to go.  I was probably 250m out to the first buoy, and the next thing I know I am UNDER the water, with a very large man right above me.  I had to swim underwater for a few and pop up in front of him.  He was a zigzag swimmer, who just had no idea how to sight, and was just doing his best out there.  When I came up in front of him, I could have easily kicked him in the face, he was that close, but instead just used my power to pull ahead of him so that I wouldn't make contact with him.  He didn't need anything else to contend with, he had enough going on, and I just wanted to make sure he didn't panic.  He looked like he was about to anyway, so I just yelled back "You can do it!" and kept swimming.  

The reason I got into this sport was because of the support each athlete gives one another.  I have only had one time when someone did something intentionally, but I still kept the "buddhist" approach and in the end, karma ended up handling that particular racer.  

Edited by ecozenmama 2012-06-25 12:03 PM
2012-06-25 12:42 PM
in reply to: #4278268

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
erik.norgaard - 2012-06-25 3:10 AM

Better yet, avoid the problem entirely: The trick is to learn to place yourself in the pack, if you know you're a slow swimmer, no point rushing to be the first in the water. Also, you can place yourself away from the centre out to the side, it's only slightly longer to the first buoy and much easier swim.

This is a great idea in theory but most races, save for an Ironman start, go in waves. And in the ones I do, they put the fastest athletes (Males 20-40) in the last waves. So no matter how well I seed myself in my own wave, there will be 3, 4, 5  or more waves coming up behind me consisting of very fast male swimmers. I think this is the crux of what people are describing when they talk about "aggressive" swimmers.

I've gotten pretty good at anticipating when they will be approaching me, based on the number of minutes between waves. So I can try to move more to the outside. Plus I can literally hear them coming - they seem to have very loud punch-the-water-like strokes.

Edited by lisac957 2012-06-25 12:42 PM
2012-06-25 12:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I'm with everyone else here and I think it's completely unintentional and non-aggressive.  Annoying yes, aggressive no.  Contact happens - deal with it, it's part of the fun.  If they grab you by the ankle and pull ... that's another story.
2012-06-25 12:58 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Like AB, my initial reaction when someone swims up onto my feet is to stop kicking and glide for a couple of strokes. I’m a MOP swimmer and I assume the contact was involuntary. Who’s to say I didn’t cross into their line? Perhaps the contact was my fault, even though I’m in front. In any case, it’s certainly not worth injuring someone over.

2012-06-25 1:04 PM
in reply to: #4279157

User image

Master
lisac957 - 2012-06-25 12:42 PM

Better yet, avoid the problem entirely: The trick is to learn to place yourself in the pack, if you know you're a slow swimmer, no point rushing to be the first in the water. Also, you can place yourself away from the centre out to the side, it's only slightly longer to the first buoy and much easier swim.

This is a great idea in theory but most races, save for an Ironman start, go in waves. And in the ones I do, they put the fastest athletes (Males 20-40) in the last waves. So no matter how well I seed myself in my own wave, there will be 3, 4, 5  or more waves coming up behind me consisting of very fast male swimmers. I think this is the crux of what people are describing when they talk about "aggressive" swimmers.

I've gotten pretty good at anticipating when they will be approaching me, based on the number of minutes between waves. So I can try to move more to the outside. Plus I can literally hear them coming - they seem to have very loud punch-the-water-like strokes.

I was just talking with my training partner about this at a race yesterday. They had the waves set to go based on distance (Sprint first then Oly) and age (youngest to oldest.) This meant Olympic distance racers in their 30's and 40's were among the last to get in the water. In my experience, this group is often the fastest on the course, and it showed not only on the swim, but on the bike as well. There was lots of crowding.

We were wondering if it might not make more sense to ask racers to submit estimated times for each leg and seed waves based on those estimates. Fastest go first ect.. I think most marathons are started this way with "pens." Wouldn't be perfect, but might solve a bit of the problem discussed in this thread.
2012-06-25 1:32 PM
in reply to: #4279157

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Kobenhavns Kommune
lisac957 - 2012-06-25 7:42 PM

OK, I've only done one and can't speak of how other races are organised. In my race males were first, three waves, 3 min. apart then another 3 an hour later, but there was no distinguishing between time as far as I could tell. 

By the time I caught up to BOP of the previous wave the pack had been spread out and it wasn't that much of a problem, nothing like the chaos right at the start. Yes, I did get physical contact with these but recognise the agressive behaviour in either direction. It was accidental, it was simply impossible to see more than 100cm ahead in the water. 

I have registered for some others and they ask expected time, no idea since I haven't done that distance yet - and for the whole race. Even before this thread I considered if it would be appropriate for a fast swimmer to lie to get in the first wave?

BR, Erik

2012-06-25 1:39 PM
in reply to: #4279190

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
abraxas - 2012-06-25 11:52 AM

I'm with everyone else here and I think it's completely unintentional and non-aggressive.  Annoying yes, aggressive no.  Contact happens - deal with it, it's part of the fun.  If they grab you by the ankle and pull ... that's another story.

Worst case if you do nothing...you will be 18" further back on the course. Seriously that's it. it does not harm you in any way. So EVEN IF THEY PULL YOUR ANKLES every one still wins by you not reacting with aggression.

I'm going to call this one, "Swim like Gandhi".
2012-06-25 1:44 PM
in reply to: #4279322

User image

Extreme Veteran

AdventureBear - 2012-06-25 8:39 PM
abraxas - 2012-06-25 11:52 AM I'm with everyone else here and I think it's completely unintentional and non-aggressive.  Annoying yes, aggressive no.  Contact happens - deal with it, it's part of the fun.  If they grab you by the ankle and pull ... that's another story.
Worst case if you do nothing...you will be 18" further back on the course. Seriously that's it. it does not harm you in any way. So EVEN IF THEY PULL YOUR ANKLES every one still wins by you not reacting with aggression. I'm going to call this one, "Swim like Gandhi".

Very true.  Mostly annoying though.  I usually ignore it ...

2012-06-25 1:44 PM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga

As usual, AdventureBear is spot on.  I am actually going to 'steal' the Swim like a Buddhist mantra.

I'm going to go ahead and say that what most people have mentioned is purely incidental contact.  We all do a majority of our swimming in a pool where no one touches us.  Then we get to OWS and freak out when someone touches us.  Keep swimming and in all but the RAREST of situations, that person will be gone in 1-2 seconds.

During our OWS clinics we cover methods to evade should one get in a bad situation with another swimmer. And it's NEVER kick harder.  For one, it causes you to use too much energy and ruin your race.  Would you surge if someone is around you on the bike? 

1) if someone is constantly bumping into you from the side, we teach our athletes to roll over and the person is gone.  It's a quick maneuver and you even get an extra breath. 

The biggest thing we do is to force contact during the clinic.  This is the most fun for me.  I get to play shark.  And I can tell you when it's my job to bump, grab, interfere, it's very hard.  So if I'm trying to race, it would be almost impossible.

And for those that say your ankle was grabbed.  I have a hard time believing that.  The reason is because I actually do this, or rather try to, (because we teach how to get out of it) and it's almost impossible.  I swim up on someone, have to slow way down and then try and grab a moving object with a firm grip...good luck.

In short, as AB says, just swim.

2012-06-25 1:49 PM

User image

Olney

Another vote for swim your own race.  Many times I have come up on a slower swimmer and you just can't see them until you are one their legs.  

Now a few weeks ago at the Columbia Tri, I had some guy try the pushing/aggressive routine on me.  I just slowed down a bit and started drafting him.  I tickled his toes (no grabbing or anything) every 30 sec or so to watch him kick extra hard.  It helped keep me entertained for the swim.

2012-06-25 1:51 PM

User image

Pro
Marvarnett made a good point.  My kid has been swimming since he was 4....he swims 1:05 - 1:10 hundreds all day.  He LOVES the contact of the open water swim.  He doesn't have a mean bone in his body....he is just completely comfortable and unafraid in the water.  He will say things like, "it was crazy at that first bouy, I couldn't even get a stroke in for about 20 meters, just keep grabbbing and moving, some guy had my ankle (big laugh from him), it was great!!!".  Huh???  That'd have me in peril of drowning so I avoid it like the flu.  Most of us can't swim worth a damn compared to swimmers....and they're just swimming.

Edited by Left Brain 2012-06-25 1:52 PM
2012-06-25 2:05 PM
in reply to: #4279333

User image

NC

Marvarnett - 2012-06-25 2:44 PM

Would you surge if someone is around you on the bike? 

Obviously.

2012-06-25 2:08 PM

User image

San Diego, CA

Like many other things in life, it is much easier to laugh it off then get angry and plot your revenge.  I've been swum over, punched, kicked, slapped, and even been the one doing the punching, kicking, etc.  It's just part of the race.  Once I was actually poked right in that "taint" region between the legs during the last 100 or so of a race.  I'm not exactly sure how it happend but it got my attention for sure!  Once out of the water the woman who poked me was so embarrassed she made a point to get my attention and apologize.  I laughed and told her the pleasure was all mine.  Off we went to complete the race, smiling!

To quote a hillarious favorite movie of mine, "Don't take life too seriously, you'll never make it out alive!"

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Aggressive Swimmers Rss Feed  

of 3