United States
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 17m 24s
Overall Rank = 126/593
Age Group = M30-39
Age Group Rank = 51/130
Pre-race routine:

And so my second season of triathloning begins...

5:00 a.m. A quick check of the brightening sky - mostly clear! Great day for a race as long as the predicted humidity holds off long enough. A year ago in this same circumstance I was so nervous I could hardly eat. This year, though, it's peanut butter toast, an egg white omelet, and some fruit juice. Crystal and I hit the road at 6:00 and I drank another 16 oz of Gatorade. As we rolled into Buffalo, we knew exactly where to park and got a decent spot just a 2 minute walk from the transition area.
Event warmup:

Registration, body marking, set up transition, yada yada yada. Ran into an old high school buddy who was serving as "support crew" for his GF (an IM-MOO veteran).

Went for a short spin up the road on the bikes and met another athlete walking back toward transition with his bike on his shoulder and his wheel in the other. "Watch out!" he cried, "Broken glass ahead!" Not needing any pre-race annoyances like a couple of flat tires, we wisely turned back.

At 7:45, met a large contingent of BTers. At 7:46, I forgot all their names.

At 9:00, took a shot of Enervit, went for a warmup swim for 15 minutes or so, then headed over to the starting line...

Swim
  • 09m 3s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m 04s / 100 yards
Comments:

The first half would've been great, if that's all I would've had to do. I went out way too fast and blew up on the return leg. I was concentrating so much on rotating to get a good breath and making my stroke long that I didn't notice that I was probably going at my 100 interval pace (1:40/100). Oops. I hit the turnaround and was left wondering, "Where the heck did I leave my breath? I just had it, but now I can't find it." So the back stretch was a mix of slooooow crawl with about 50 yards of backstroke thrown in. A couple of events warrant mentioning:

At the turnaround buoy, the swimmers made what's essentially a hairpin turn. On the "far side" of the turn was a lifeguard sitting on her surfboard. I was about halfway through the turn when I noticed some congestion. A lot of congestion. Crosstown Commons/I-35W levels of congestion. A swimmer had grabbed hold of the tail of the surfboard (perfectly legal), but had then continued to try to swim (definitely not legal), effectively pulling the surfboard with him. So the gap between the buoy and the surfboard was closed to probably only 8 feet or so. 8 feet that 25 swimmers were trying to get through at the same time. The lifeguard was berating the fellow ("Sir, you CAN NOT swim while holding on to me!"), managed to push his hand off, and did an admirable job of paddling back into position.

50 yards further on, as I was struggling through my breathlessness, an unexpected object loomed out of the greenish waters of Lake Buffalo....a rope. A blue and white nylon rope. Lying right underneath the surface. And also perpendicular to my desired path of travel. WTF?!? I got my hand over it and it slid effortlessly underneath me. Until it found the timing chip on my ankle. I had no intention of pulling this rope along with me, so I turned over to shake it free, but it kind of flopped over my foot into a loose loop. I then saw the rope was in use by a lifeguard in the process of rescuing a struggling swimmer (the rope ran off to a pontoon boat about 10 yards off to the side of the course). I could see he had his hands full, and didn't want to trouble him with having to save me, too, so I did the honorable thing and just pulled the rope off my foot and continued on my merry (breathless) way.

What would you do differently?:

Pacing. This year, I was completely comfortable with the waves and the contact, but I just pushed too hard too early.

Last year's time/pace: 10:49 / 2:42
Transition 1
  • 02m 20s
Comments:

"...and I shall make their tormented souls run. Under the blazing sun! For a long distance! Up many hills! And they shall all be clad in neoprene! Muhahahahaha!!!!"
- Lucifer, in a planning meeting with his minions, prior to the grand opening of the Second Level of Hell

I think that about sums up the first part of T1 without requiring any more elaborate explanations, don't ya think?

After emerging from seemingly eternal damnation and arriving at the rack, I stripped off the wetsuit fairly quickly with a little trouble getting it over the timing chip. Damn that chip! First it tried to drown me and now it tried throwing me off balance. That little one-ounce strip of nylon and plastic was quickly turning into my nemesis - what other nefarious plans did it have in store for me?

Not easily foiled, I threw on my helmet and sunglasses, tucked some gel in my pockets and headed for the bike exit...

Pray more?

Last year's time: 4:58
Bike
  • 40m 22s
  • 13 miles
  • 19.32 mile/hr
Comments:

...I crossed the mat signaling the end of T1, and the bike leg began. "But wait!", the careful readers amongst you will cry out, "don't you have to get on your bike first?" Alas, I have to get up pretty early to put one past you.

My shoes were already clipped into the pedals, so I just needed to jump on and get my feet into the shoes before The Hill. About 40 yards past the mount line, the road (a parking lot entrance, actually) tilts up quickly. Woe be to those unable to get clipped in, or who haven't left their bike in its lowest gear. The gift of foresight has at least allowed me to do the latter. As to the former, well....my left foot went in easy, but when I tried putting in my right foot, it instead went between the strap and the outsole, leaving me with no pedaling power on the right side. And while my left foot was in its shoe, I hadn't velcroed down its strap yet, so it wasn't going to be a very effective one-footed pedaler if I needed it to be. I pulled the right foot out and tried again as The Hill got closer. Same result! My speed was dropping quickly and I knew I had one more chance before I stalled out and fell ignominiously in front of hundreds of spectators. Time seemed to slow as I stabbed my right foot down and somehow found the proper resting place - I stood out of the saddle and had just enough momentum to push over the top of The Hill and move onto the bike course. Of course, during all my fancy footwork, I had completely deformed the insole in my right shoe, and it was folded up under my heel. And there it remained for the rest of the ride.

Ah yes, the ride. It's interesting (or not): as Crystal and I were leaving to go home at the end of the day, we headed out of town on the same road that the bike course begins. As I was driving along, I was looking at the landmarks and honestly couldn't remember seeing ANY of it while on the bike. Not a thing. It's like I was completely blacked out while on that section of road. The stop sign? Nope. All those houses? Never saw 'em. How 'bout the golf course? Hey, look, there's a golf course! Was that there before?

Once I regained consciousness, I ate an Enervit gel and focused on keeping my cadence up, especially on the numerous hills. 100 rpm felt pretty good to me, so I tried to keep it around there.

During last year's race, I recall the ride being mostly a long single file line of riders. This year it felt like riding in the peloton at the Tour de France. Most of the time it seemed like we were two or three abreast, waiting for the opportunity to pass large groups of people.

The wind coming off the lake over the last couple of miles felt really tough. If that wind had been blowing an hour earlier, the swim would've been a whole lot worse, as the lake really seemed to be churned up.

The last third mile of the ride was uphill, so there wasn't a good opportunity to stand up and stretch my calves and hammies - I should've done it earlier. As the top of the hill approached, I became more concerned with getting my feet out of my shoes before dropping back down The Hill to the dismount line. Given the whole shoe drama at the beginning of the ride, the de-shoeing process was entirely uneventful. So uneventful that it's not even worth mentioning. So just forget that I ever brought it up. Move along, there's nothing to see here...

Do some more tweaking of my position on the bike. Ride more.

Last year's time/pace: 42:50/18.2 mph
Transition 2
  • 01m 13s
Comments:

Yet again, I apparently blacked out here 'cuz I don't remember anything from the point where I jumped off the bike until leaving T2 on the run...

Take some pictures to help me recall what the heck I did.

Last year's time: 2:43
Run
  • 24m 28s
  • 3 miles
  • 08m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

Pain set in immediately as a bugger of a side stitch hit me within the first 200 yards. Since I never get them when training, I'm wasn't really prepared to deal with this one, so I let it have its way with me. It subsided by the 1-mile mark, but it left behind a bitchy little stomach cramp that tagged along the rest of the race. Not sure the cause of this cramp: I didn't drink anything over the last 5 miles of the bike, because if I do it just sloshes around in my belly during the run.

I do like this run course because its location allows you to see a lot of friends as they come in on the bike course, or as they pass you on the run going the other direction. I spotted my wife and gave her a shout; I saw Pete and gave him a thumbs-up; I saw Ben and inexplicably yelled out "Go Pete"; and then I saw Tom (matchman on BT) and yelled out something completely unintelligible. It was obvious that my brain had been left behind in transition so I decided to just shut up the rest of the race.

I tried ignoring the cramp and finally settled into a decent rhythm by the turnaround. I had hoped to break 24 minutes, but the headwind coming back put the kibosh on that dream. The finishing stretch felt really good, and I even had the werewithal to remember to zip up my tri-top and rotate my race number around to my front.

More training bricks to figure out proper nutrition/hydration.

Last year's time/pace: 26:07/8:43
Post race
Warm down:

Bottle of H20, bottle of Powerade. Walked down to the lake and waded in - oh, that felt good!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I was completely happy with my race. My conservative goal was 5 minutes faster than last year's time (1:27:25), so I easily met that goal. And the best part is that I still see plenty of room for improvement.

Last updated: 2006-04-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:03 | 440 yards | 02m 04s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/130
Overall: 362/593
Performance: Average
Suit: Ironman Instinct long-john
Course: A triangle. Kind of. More like a triangle that my three-year-old draws: straight on one side, but the other two sides kind of morph into a curve.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:20
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:40:22 | 13 miles | 19.32 mile/hr
Overall: 120/593
Performance:
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: The consensus seems to be that this was a 13 (not 12) mile course, so my pace has been adjusted accordingly.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:13
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:24:28 | 03 miles | 08m 10s  min/mile
Overall: 189/593
Course: Mostly flat. Out and back along lake.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-06-06 11:24 AM

User image

Regular
Eden Prairie, MN
Subject: Buffalo Triathlon

2006-06-06 12:56 PM
in reply to: #444845

User image

Master
A Prairie Home
Subject: RE: Buffalo Triathlon
Yeah.. I am having a hard time remember 1/2 the race right now. A different part of my brain/personality was in control when I was racing, I suppose.

Your report is HILARIOUS!!! What about Crystal's?
2006-06-06 1:13 PM

User image

Master
Minnesota
Nice job at the tri! I loved your report
2006-06-06 8:58 PM

User image

Regular
Central Minnesota
I enjoyed reading your report!

It was nice to meet you, and forget your name, too! Good job on the race!

Jon
2006-06-06 11:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
MN

You're pretty funny.  You should have helped the lifeguard and cut t the rope; survival of the fitest.

I raced as well, on the olympic, which was really confusing.

2006-06-07 12:04 PM

User image

molto veloce mama
here it is! nice job! i wonder what was worse, running up that hill in a wetsuit, or running up it with your bike (which is what the oly folks had to do). running DOWN the hill with the bike after riding in that wind was tough. didn't see anyone fall on their butt, but i bet it happened! hee hee. nice to see you again, and to meet your lovely wife. maybe we'll see the kidlets one of these days?

2006-06-07 12:19 PM

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
Great race and very entertaining race report! Thanks for the laugh!
2006-06-07 12:27 PM
in reply to: #446191

User image

Regular
Eden Prairie, MN
I'm soooo glad I didn't have to run my bike up/down that hill between the oly and sprint transition areas.

Can you imagine the carnage on that hill if there had been even just a little rain?!? That hill would have been completely non-negotiable! I wonder if the RD had a contingency plan for that...

You might see the kiddos at MinneMan. Crystal's not racing, so we'll see if she can get them rousted out of bed in time for the race!

-Kevin
2006-06-07 1:42 PM

User image

Elite
Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea

Great race report, Kevin.  Very nice to have met you and Crystal (one of the few names I did remember).  Sounds like you had a great race despite the swim gods placing obstacles in your way, Beelzelbub and his damnable transition plan, and "The Hill" as you so exquisitely described.  I was almost thankful I didn't have tri shoes clipped to my pedals.

Congrats and hope to see you on the circuit again soon.

Cheers!

Tom 

2006-06-08 8:42 AM

User image

Montrose, MN
Great race report. I sounds like you had a fun and interesting race. The hill out of T1 was tough. I went up it with my feet on top of my shoes, slowly!
2006-06-08 9:07 AM
in reply to: #447255

User image

Regular
Eden Prairie, MN
Feet on top of the shoes until over the hill? That's so crazy it just might work!
I seriously never even thought of that - thanks for the good idea!

marz_racer - 2006-06-08 8:42 AM
The hill out of T1 was tough. I went up it with my feet on top of my shoes, slowly!

2006-06-08 9:21 AM
in reply to: #447292

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
Great report. I don't know how some of you remember so much from the race to type up. My Buffalo report is pretty boring compared to yours. Good luck in your next race.
2006-06-08 10:33 AM
in reply to: #447320

User image

Regular
Eden Prairie, MN
Well, you see, Jim, it's like this: most of us are out on the course a lot longer than you, so we have a lot more time to remember things. You're going so fast that everything is just a blur!

Birkierunner - 2006-06-08 9:21 AM
Great report. I don't know how some of you remember so much from the race to type up. My Buffalo report is pretty boring compared to yours.
2006-06-08 10:46 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Buffalo Triathlon Rss Feed