Sunburst Races
54F / 12C
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 564/567
Age Group = F40-44
Age Group Rank = 18/18
Pre-race routine:

Up early, ate oatmeal and a cliff bar, drank a coke.
Event warmup:

Port-a-potty line-up game. Went inside College Football Hall of Fame, shorter line. Stretched my left calf, it was stiff for some reason. It was okay after the first few miles.
Run
  • 5h 54m 42s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 13m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

We lined up for the start only to hear, "The race will be delayed for 15 minutes due to a haz. mat. alert. It may have to be CANCELLED," Yikes!!!
So we went back inside the Hall of Fame to wait another 15 minutes. They called for us to go out again and we were off and 'running!'

This was NOT a walker-friendly course. The first mile or so, there were people behind me. It got hot fast, I was sweating up a storm. Then there were about six of us in front of the SAG van. I finally went introduce myself to Billy, in the SAG van and asked if he was going to follow us all the way. He said yes, so I asked him to carry my fanny pack so that I could go faster-he very willingly agreed. (I pack enough for a couple of days, I have got to learn to pack lighter!) I saw BEAR and took his picture.

The course did some really weird stuff. We went in circles in parking lots, at one point the 1/2, 10K, and 5K people were altogether. Steve and I ended up walking, running, and shuffling together about mile 4. We got to a cross section where everyone went in different directions, and thought we were lost. Luckily, we were on the right route.

At mile 10, we went on a bike trail. Well, that's when we lost the SAG van and my fanny pack. I worried about it way too long. The 1/2 marathon marker said 2:49-which is great for me. Billy, in the SAG wagon, caught up with us at mile 14 and I took my pack back.:) Took BEAR's picture again, he checked to see if I was okay. I was fine and excited about my 1/2 time.

Then Steve and I crossed the river and did the rat maze. It was beautiful along the river, I took pictures. We did the twists and turns and finally got out of the park.

Back on the route and the mile markers were crazy and off. It was funny. Steve and I thought we'd really speeded up to a 10-minute mile. We were amazed with ourselves, and it was way too early to be 'brain dead' which usually kicks in at mile 20. We figured out real soon that the markers were off. The course was hilly at times, but we just kept moving FAST.

The rest of the route, Steve and I paced each other. We walked, ran, and shuffled while encouraging each other to go FASTER. His wife met up with us twice and took pictures, she was really nice. Another man walked with us off and on-we'd met him at the beginning of the race when we were trying to stay ahead of the SAG van. :)

The last half mile, Steve picked up the pace. I saw the stadium and was happy to be under 6 hours. (I was hoping for 6:15 and would have taken 6:30.) I walked up to the stadium, took more pictures and took some while going into the TUNNEL. It was sooooo..... cool!!! {This is marathon # 8 for me.}

Then I get to the finish line. BEAR is there trying to take my picture, so I slowed down on the finish line. I was so happy to have finished under 6 hours. The BEAR tells me he has some bad news, 'they were out of medals.' Well, the lady was very nice about it and gave me a 1/2 marathon medal. She told me to email them and they'd send me a marathon medal later. So we walked around, talked to others, and congratulated the 3 men who came in behind me-I wasn't last! We ate, drank, and took some more pictures in the stadium.

We got on the last shuttle bus to go back to the car. We sat a while and grumped about waiting. The nice lady, who was giving out medals, came meet us on the bus and gave me a MARATHON MEDAL. She'd found some while packing up. So I ended up with 2 medals. It was worth the wait/grump time.

We ate (Steak N' Shake), swam in the pool at the motel, and took a much needed nap.I had a great time!!!

P.S. Dylan and BEAR set up my new IPOD last week and the new "music" helped to speed me up, too. I guess it's good to have a teenager around to download new music for his ole' MAMA. Thanks ya'll!!!
What would you do differently?:

Train more.

I should have been wearing a singlet, it was HOT.

Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, visited, ate, drank, and took pictures.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

RUN, ANGEL, RUN!!!

Event comments:

Billy was a great SAG van driver, but I would really like to have the SAG van way behind me. I guess I need to speed up.

The water station volunteers were great, they stayed until the last person passed. We thanked them at each stop and the police who did a good job with the traffic for us BOP.

Last updated: 2006-03-04 12:00 AM
Running
05:54:42 | 26.2 miles | 13m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 18/18
Overall: 564/567
Performance: Good
Course: Double out-and-back, north for four miles and back, then south and east for eight miles, and back. Most of the course is within view of the St. Joseph River, very scenic and serene.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-06-07 2:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Carencro, Louisiana
Subject: Sunburst Marathon

2006-06-07 2:34 PM
in reply to: #446430

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Subject: RE: Sunburst Marathon
Way to go, Speedy! Great race, great race report!
2006-06-07 2:47 PM

User image

Crystal Lake, IL

Sounds like you had a great time!  That's excellent.  Also sounds like you did better, relative to your goals, than a certain someone else I know who did that same race.  Congrats.

2006-06-07 3:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Carencro, Louisiana
The fear of being picked up by a SAG wagon or left walking alone really speeded up my time. I think the WILD music selection also help speed me up, too.
2006-06-07 5:33 PM
in reply to: #446491

User image

Pro
Helena, MT
Way to go, Mama Bear! That's awesome that you finished a full 15 min before what you were hoping for. Great job!
2006-06-07 5:37 PM

User image

Expert
New Orleans
Great job Angel! Glad they didn't cancel on you, that would have been such a waste. Congrats on beating your goal time!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Sunburst Marathon Rss Feed