General Discussion Race Reports! » Life Time Minneapolis Triathlon - International Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Life Time Minneapolis Triathlon - International Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Minneapolis, Minnesota
United States
Life Time Fitness Athletic Events
93F / 34C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 45m 41s
Overall Rank = 303/646
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 49/93
Pre-race routine:

Woke up a little late at 5:30 and had to rush a little bit. Planned to be up at 4:45, but must have turned the alarm off rather than hit snooze. Luckily, I was all packed the night before. Scarfed down a Penaut Butter PowerBar, SaltCap, and took in some water. Nokomis is only 5 miles away so I was able to get there pretty quickly, transition closed at 6:45.
Event warmup:

Rode my bike from the car as a warmup about a half mile. T1 was well organized by race number and the rack had plenty of room. It was actually tall enough that I could rest my bike on the nose of the seat rather than the aero bars. Met up with other BTers before the event after the National Anthem. Ran about 1/2 mile working on drills high knees, high heels, etc. Jumped and swam about 200 yards, the water was very warm.
Swim
  • 32m
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 57s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim start was organized by race number within your age group with racers going off every three seconds. It was a good experience swimming in such a large event. To be honest I had a horrible swim. The first 200 went well and then my goggles started to fog up so I had to get those clear because we were going into the sun. Then I, just, had no where to go. I kept running into feet tried moving outside and then inside and it everywhere was blocked. Basically had to play frogger the whole swim running into people and then trying to find a whole to get past. A lot of moving inside and then outside. Never settled into a good rythm. Road ID came flying off, but I was able to catch it before it sank and then spent a couple of seconds putting it back on. When I rounded the last leg, I knew the swim was going to be slow and really tried to push it to salvage as much time as I could.
What would you do differently?:

More open water swim experience, swimming in packs. Get used to swimming in the open water without a wetsuit.
Transition 1
  • 01m 52s
Comments:

Plenty of room in Transition even with soo many participants.

Nothing it was a good transition.
Bike
  • 1h 12m 27s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 20.58 mile/hr
Comments:

Lifetime is a known to be a bumpy ride with some tight corners. Lost my water handle bar mounted water bottle on the rail road tracks before the round-about at Minnehaha park, turned around and picked it up cost maybe 45 seconds. Tried to push as hard as I could to make up for the swim. A lot of on your left, it was a busy race course. Picked up a helmet sticker on the front wheel after Lake Harriet and thought that I had flatted, but the bike seemed ok so I just kept going. Almost hit a group of spectators crossing Cedar at the turn into Nokomis. Had to pick a spot between two of them and darted for it. Made with mayb a foot to spare.

Nothing it was a good bike. The water bottle had never come of in training.
Transition 2
  • 02m 1s
Comments:

Stopped to put socks on and it took a little bit of time. Longer T2 than normal.

Needed to socks, still blistered, but it could have been much worse.
Run
  • 57m 19s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

Coming out of T2, I was back on pace for a PR in the Oly. It wasn't meant to be. Not a good run, once again left too much on the bike. It was hot and just couldn't cool down. First lap went well with about an 8:30/mi pace. It sttarted to fall apart in the 3rd mile. Started to get overheated and had to walk for 30 seconds three time in the second loop. Started running consistently at mile 4.5, but the PR was lost.

Need more run training in the heat.
Post race
Warm down:

Ran about 1/2 mile in the shade in the grass without shoes.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Need more training.

Event comments:

Overall a good race, just wasn't in the cards today. Didn't feel top notch this morning. Need more swim training, should have been much better. Work has been really busy the last several weeks with long days and weekends and I think I was just a little overtired. Diet during that stretch hasn't been the best and the training schedule has been a little heavy. Will look to do better next time.

Last updated: 2012-07-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:00 | 1640 yards | 01m 57s / 100yards
Age Group: 39/93
Overall: 317/646
Performance: Bad
Suit: Not Wetsuit Legal - Tri Kit
Course: Clockwise Triangle away from Nokomis beach. First length short and is directly awawy from the beach, second length is long and is perpendicular to the beach. Last length is medium in distance and back to the beach.
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:52
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:12:27 | 24.85 miles | 20.58 mile/hr
Age Group: 44/93
Overall: 237/646
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Around Nokomis out to E. Minnehaha to West River Rd. to Franklin Ave. Bridge to East River Rd. to Ford Parkway to W. Minnehaha to Harriet to E. Minnehaha to Cedar Ave to Nokomis Pkwy.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:01
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:57:19 | 06.21 miles | 09m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 61/93
Overall: 406/646
Performance: Bad
Course: Two laps around Nokomis on the bike trail with an out and back section on the Cedar Ave. Bridge
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-07-15 9:20 AM

User image

New user

Subject: Life Time Minneapolis Triathlon - International Course

2012-07-15 11:15 AM
in reply to: #4312094

User image

Subject: RE: Life Time Minneapolis Triathlon - International Course
Nice work! That's a hot, tough course. I did it in 2010 and no plans to sign up again anytime soon. 
2012-07-17 2:54 PM
in reply to: #4312190

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Life Time Minneapolis Triathlon - International Course
It sounds like you encountered a lot of race specific "issues", too bad!   I think you did great.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Life Time Minneapolis Triathlon - International Course Rss Feed