United States
World Triathlon Corporation
Sunny
Total Time = 14h 26m 27s
Overall Rank = 1577/2896
Age Group = F 40-44
Age Group Rank = 76/139
Pre-race routine:

Tried to eat 2 packs of oatmeal. Too nervous and got down half of one. Sipped on gatorade.
Event warmup:

Met up w/ most of our group of @ 10 folks from home that are racing. Chatted, encouraged, hugged and headed down to the lake.
Swim
  • 1h 15m 50s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 48s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started waaaaaay off to the side of the lake quite far from the buoys and about 10 rows back. Plan was to stick to the way outside till the Boathouse then see what happens closer to the bouys. Got inside a little earlier than planned and heard a huge commotion. Unconcious swimmer w/ everyone around trying to keep him afloat and wave for kayaks. Screamed for help for a while then just kept swimming. I heard conflicting results of what happened to him. Rest of the swim was pretty uneventful. My actual course looked more like a long rainbow than a rectangle but I figured if I swim longer in cleaner water it will help me mentally, so I did. Second loop actually found the cable for about 100 yds. but then got swam over and such so went back outside. Very happy with my results considering the lack of swimming I've done this year. 5 mins. off IMFL.
Transition 1
  • 09m 9s
Comments:

Long and Im OK with it. Crowded in tent and wanted to make sure I didn't forget anything. Stopped at a port a pot before I left.
Bike
  • 6h 51m 35s
  • 112 miles
  • 16.33 mile/hr
Comments:

Got passed by everyone and their mothers on the first loop and I just reminded myself to take it easy and I'll get 'em later. Hit the 20 mile mark in exactly 1 hr. and was very pleased. In laws were supposed to be in Ausable Forks so I was looking forward to seeing them - saw the couple with the 2 enormous pet goats but not the inlaws. Oh well. During the first loop my stomach wasn't feeling great - I'd never tried the Ironman perform before - I had heard it was like Gatorade and I have a good stomach. It was not like gatorade. It was disgusting. Stopped drinking it early and had more than enough food to make up for calorie deficit w/out it. Saw Mike at River Rd. before town, made it up the bears and cherries without incident, felt like a total rockstar coming thru town and left to do it all over again. Second loop was 3 mins. slower but I was happy with that. I did see my inlaws the second time. My MIL tried to start a conversation with me (typical) and my FIL was snoring in a chair. (typical) :) I do love them and was excited they chose IMLP weekend to visit their friend up there. Really helped knowing they were gonna be out there half way thru a long loop on bike. Felt really, really good climbing back into town. The climbs are not steep like here, they are long and I like those. I had an 11/28 and did not barely use the 28. Passed oodles and oodles of folks going up past Whiteface and more on bears and cherries. I was in no means going fast, but it did feel good. :)
What would you do differently?:

I think maybe push a little harder? Had I known what the run had in store, I would have for sure...
Transition 2
  • 08m 23s
Comments:

Volunteers are awesome. Came in quite dazed and slow. Feet hurt a lot and I was tired now. Really tired. Really, really tired. Walked into tent, sat down and a few volunteers ran and got me some water. I was chatting w/ them a bit and trying to figure out what to do with my stuff. Got changed, lubed up and sneaks/visor on and off I shuffled. Still kinda in a daze..
Run
  • 6h 01m 30s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 13m 48s  min/mile
Comments:

Saw Mike right outside T2. Ran to him and started to bawl uncontrollably. Didn't want to run a marathon feeling this tired. Just sooo tired. I knew how long it was going to be and I really didn't want to do it. wah, wah, wah. He told me to do a loop and if I still felt like crap, I could stop then. Shuffled away sobbing. Shortly afterwards I needed a port a pot. Desperately. But then nothing. Started running again, felt the need, stopped, nothing. Repeat this process like 14 times. If I ran, I felt the urge to go but walking I was better. Walked a majority of the marathon. When I did run, on the flats only, the legs worked fine and while walking, I was able to keep up a decent pace. Got to chat w/ Team4Cooper a bit, saw Cornick out there but couldn't figure out why ~ I didn't realize he won the BTBadass award till after I saw him finish. :) The River Rd. section was brutal on a lot of folks. Medics and support crew were just scooping people up all over the road. Crazy! Our friends house is the Start Tri house on River Rd. so it was really great to see them and hear them out in force! Also saw my fellow coach who was shooting for 10:30 or so out on the run course. I figured it was his second loop but he flatted w/ a tubular which cost him 45 mins..his race was shot so he ran/walked w/ our other friend who blew up on the bike and was having a tough day of it. Saw Mike at mile 11ish and felt much better - quitting was never an option. Second loop was more of the same. Walking, running, stopping in porta pots. Loved the redneck aid station, too. Finally hit downtown the second time and all the drunks outside the Brew Pub were trying to get everyone to start running again so I picked it up to a slow slog up hill to crowds of rowdy drunks cheering and the guy in the gorilla suit high 5'ing me. Ran past SN, to the turnaround then tried for the next 1/2 mile or so not to cry. Didn't cry - hit the oval and I could not have smiled any more - screaming, high 5'ing everyone, just soaking it all in. Saw Mike and gave him a sweaty hug and kiss and then had the line to myself.
What would you do differently?:

No have the tummy troubles!
Post race
Warm down:

Felt so much better than at IMFL. Got chocolate milk and pizza then waited around to find Mike. Borrowed a cell phone only to find out he was at other end of oval. Finally met up, went to our friends place at the Golden Arrow to shower and relax then went back to finish @ 10:45 or so to watch everyone else become Ironmen.

Event comments:

A very challenging course for sure but I liked it better than IMFL. It was beautiful and the crowd support rocks! This race was a good test of mental fortitude - I so did not want to run but I knew I wouldn't quit. A few days before the race while chatting w/ my Dad, I told him how nervous I was. He looked at me and hugged me and said "You should be nervous. It's a lofty goal and it's gonna be tough. I'd be worried if you weren't nervous." It's interesting to find out where "your line" is. Some folks pulled themselves out due to fatigue, some pull out if they don't make their planned splits, others battle it out to the bitter end. I know where I am and Im proud of that. Never will I qualify but never will I quit.

Last updated: 2011-12-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:15:50 | 4224 yards | 01m 48s / 100yards
Age Group: 49/139
Overall: 0/2896
Performance: Good
Suit: QR sleeveless
Course: long rectangle x 2.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 09:09
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
06:51:35 | 112 miles | 16.33 mile/hr
Age Group: 47/139
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: 2x 56 mile loops. Up, down, rollers, uuuuppppp.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 08:23
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
06:01:30 | 26.2 miles | 13m 48s  min/mile
Age Group: 76/139
Performance: Below average
Course: 2 loops.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2012-07-26 2:28 PM

User image

Master
NJ
Subject: Ironman Lake Placid

2012-07-26 7:25 PM
in reply to: #4332274

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, NY
Subject: RE: Ironman Lake Placid
Great race,  we had just about identical swim and bike times.  I had trouble on the run as well, you did great pushing through everything.  congrats on the finish.
2012-07-27 9:23 AM

User image

New user
Westmont
Way to keep a level pace on the swim and bike! 3mins difference between loops is spot on perfect. Congrats!
2012-07-27 11:38 AM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Way to go! 

That Ironman perform must have done a number on your stomach.   Good job doint the run in a wise manner.   

2012-07-27 11:41 AM

User image

Expert
Long Island, NY
Nice job!
2012-07-27 6:15 PM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT

Kristen,

I'm impressed with your even splits! You did great. This is a hard race and it takes a lot to get through the distance, but you really did well to overcome it. With a bit more bike fitness, and confidence, you will go faster on the bike-you know you can...

Congratulations on a very fine race! I'm sure your entire family is proud of you, but I know how you feel when you complete the IM and its very satisfying, yes, very satisfying.

2012-08-02 11:39 AM
in reply to: #4334854

User image

Pro
Burbs
Great job !!
2012-08-02 6:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Harrison, Oh
Congratulations, Kristen!  So glad I got to meet you at the practice swim.  Maybe our paths will cross again someday .
2012-08-03 1:25 PM

User image

Regular
Good job. One thing that struck me was the urge to go, but unable to go. Assuming you're talking about #1? If so, that happened to me at the last race, and the feeling stayed with me well into the next day. I figured it had to do with dehydration. I need to start a thread to see if I can figure it out, but I hate to be the guy that starts those types of threads. Congrats.
2012-08-03 8:08 PM
in reply to: #4345774

User image

Master
NJ

ryanperry - 2012-08-03 2:25 PM Good job. One thing that struck me was the urge to go, but unable to go. Assuming you're talking about #1? If so, that happened to me at the last race, and the feeling stayed with me well into the next day. I figured it had to do with dehydration. I need to start a thread to see if I can figure it out, but I hate to be the guy that starts those types of threads. Congrats.

Uh, no, not talking @ # 1  but I do believe dehydration played a key role in my issues also.  Hope you get yourself sorted out! and thank you

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Lake Placid Rss Feed