World Endurance Canada
25C / 77F
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 42m 54s
Overall Rank = 16/345
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 3/46
Pre-race routine:

Staying at the in laws meant I was only a 5min bike ride from transition, so I didn't have to get up till 6am. However, when I went to inflate my rear wheel the disc cover had shifted a bit and I couldn't get at the valve with the pump. Ultimately I had to remove 1/2 the cover, which took some time. Not too big a deal, but I didn't really want the added stress first thing in the morning, and made me later than I wanted to leave. Still got a prime spot at the end of the bike rack since everyone else had congregated to one end of the rack - not sure why, but bonus for me. Also while I was setting another Running Free athlete racked right across from me - turns out it was the guy who beat me by 13sec in Milton to take the last podium spot.
Event warmup:

Once the transition was all setup I knew that I needed to get in a bike warmup or else I would start out really flat on the bike. I also forgot sunscreen so part of the warmup was heading back to the in laws and getting sun screened. Did the rest of the warmup by riding the run route, and then back to transition.

Made sure everything was setup and then donned the wetsuit and got in about 5min of swimming before the gun went off.
Swim
  • 14m 28s
  • 750 meters
  • 01m 56s / 100 meters
Comments:

First off, with the warm temps this summer I wasn't sure if this would be wetsuit legal, but luckily it was. I need all the help I can get.

The sun was straight into our eyes for the first half of the course, and the reflection off the water literally meant I couldn't see a thing. My goggles aren't tinted, and there was no way I could see the buoys properly. I was going to have to hope everyone else knew where they were going.

Horn sounded and I charged for the water and amazingly had clear water straight away - it was awesome, I had out sprinted people and was getting out ahead of the crowd. Only one problem, I couldn't see where I was going...That was quickly fixed as the swimmers surrounded me and I just stayed within the pack. As usual my drafting skills were non-existant for the swim.

Pretty much uneventful, and I just tried to focus on my stroke and breathing, and managed to avoid any of the rought stuff.
What would you do differently?:

Time to buy some tinted goggles.
Transition 1
  • 01m 17s
Comments:

As usual I lost some time in T1. Not sure how I always manage to be a bit slow for this one.

Not sure, but I need to get faster.
Bike
  • 57m 42s
  • 33 kms
  • 34.32 km/hr
Comments:

The plan was to get on the power straight away, and aim for 95% FTP. Althought things felt a bit tight over the first 10min, I was able to get aero and focus on hitting the target wattage. Because I was in wave 2 there wasn't a lot of traffic in front of me, but I did start passing people.

I got caught by a couple of guys around km 6, one from my AG and one from 35-39. I yo yo'd back and forth for the next 15-20km with the 35-39AG'r, and finally managed to stay ahead. But the guy in my AG slowly pulled away, and I just tried to keep him in sight as much as possible. Eventually I lost track of him, although I saw later he got dinged with a 2min drafting penalty.

I kept my head down for the most part and focused on staying sero as much as possible, and try to pass as many people as possible. Around km 15 another guy from my AG caught and passed me, and again we yo yo'd a bit until the only decent hill that he powered up and left me behind. But I caught back up and passed him in the next couple of km, which funnily he commented on as I came by. I didn't see him again after that as he didn't catch back on going through the rollers on the way back into town.

As I came through the last couple of km I wanted to make sure I got my feet out of the shoes early as there was a hill that led straight to the dismount line. When I saw a cop manning a small intersection I got out of the shoes, only to find out I was was too early as there was a still another 500M to the turn - better early than late...

Jumped off the bike and headed for transition. I was a bit shocked when I got there because there was only one bike on my rack (the guy who passed me), although I knew there was one other rack for my AG that I didn't check.

Nothing really, this was a strong ride for me. 95% FTP goal would have put me around 232 watts, and I finished at 230 watts.
Transition 2
  • 00m 44s
Comments:

Felt like this was a quick transition. Helmet off, shoes, visor and Garmin on, and off I went.

Try to be a touch faster, but not too much I would change for this one.
Run
  • 28m 45s
  • 7 kms
  • 04m 07s  min/km
Comments:

I wanted to run fast straight off the bike as I usually negative split my runs. But I started off slower than intended, however I did settle down over the next km. I told myself that if I could run close to a 4min pace I'd be happy, and my overall pace was a tiny bit slower than I wanted, but I'm still happy.

There weren't many runners ahead of me on the course, but I realized I was closing in on a small group of 3 or 4 and caught them at the turnaround. The group included the one guy that had passed me on the bike in my AG, and that left only one other runner in front of me that I could actually see. It took another couple of km to catch him, but he was in a different AG. That then left me running all alone, which felt kind of wierd. With a couple of hundred meters to go, I asked one of the volunteers if there was anyone behind me and they let me know that I was all alone by at least 100M.

I cruised into the finish - nothing really left in the tank.

Not much. Try to run the first km a little faster, but that's about it.
Post race
Warm down:

Just stretched out a bit, and walked around waiting for them to post the results. Really happy to see that I had made the podium.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I need to learn to swim faster - but it's not so simple. Otherwise, I was really happy with the performance all around.

Event comments:

This was the first venue I ever raced as a Try a Tri, and because it's at the in laws I'll keep coming back every year. Apart from that it really is a great site, and I love this race.

Last updated: 2012-07-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:28 | 750 meters | 01m 56s / 100meters
Age Group: 11/46
Overall: 65/345
Performance: Average
Suit: Nineteen Pipeline
Course: Straight out two buoys across for anout 100M and then back to shore.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:17
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:57:42 | 33 kms | 34.32 km/hr
Age Group: 5/46
Overall: 21/345
Performance: Good
10min Laps 1: AP 220 / NP 239, Cad 78, HR 171 2: AP 221 / NP 228, Cad 83, HR 171 3: AP 225 / NP 228, Cad 81, HR 169 4: AP 234 / NP 237, Cad 87, HR 167 5: AP 223 / NP 225, Cad 87, HR 167 6: AP 178 / NP 211, Cad 69, HR 165 Overall: AP 224 / NP 231, Cad 83, HR 169, 3.46watts/kg
Wind: Little
Course: A rather disjointed rectangle. Measured 1km longer on my powertap.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 83
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:44
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:28:45 | 07 kms | 04m 07s  min/km
Age Group: 1/46
Overall: 21/345
Performance: Good
Per km: 1: 4:18/km, HR 165 2: 4:09/km, HR 164 3: 4:02/km, HR 167 4: 4:08/km, HR 168 5: 4:01/km, HR 170 6: 4:06/km, HR 169 7: 3:54/km, HR 171
Course: Out and back, reasonably flat with some slight inclines and declines.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-08-02 3:40 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario
Subject: Orillia Triathlon - Sprint Course

2012-08-03 7:00 AM
in reply to: #4344123

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: Orillia Triathlon - Sprint Course
Congrats, Neil! Awesome podium finish, with a smokin' fast run as usual and screaming bike to set it up. Solid swim, too. Always nice to re-visit a good and personal-history venue.
2012-08-03 9:35 AM

User image

Pro
Woo hoo! Nice race
2012-08-03 2:51 PM

User image

Great job Neil.  Loved the RR.  I'd love to race a course like that.  Short swim, long bike, and medium length run.
2012-08-07 1:01 PM
in reply to: #4345978

User image

Extreme Veteran
Acton, Ontario

Nice work out there!

Very impressive bike/run combo on a fairly tough course. 1st AG on the run, and 3rd in AG overall is just a good sign of a very well executed race where you finished strong!

<2min separating you from 1st in your AG. 

Your limiter as you pointed out is the swim, but it is still in the top 25% of racers. Time to shave 2 min off that swim time!

2012-08-07 3:44 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Great job!! Not too much else to say - must be an awesome feeling to really see how far you've come given this was the site of your first tri!

2012-08-07 3:54 PM
in reply to: #4351795

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Orillia Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed