TimeOut Productions!
58F / 14C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 28m 50s
Overall Rank = 576/752
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 20/34
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4 am and had coffee and cereal. Stopped at Dunkin Donuts for 1 more coffee (I'm not a morning person)
Drove 45 minutes to Hyannis. I got there right around 5 and got a great parking spot.
The water looked great...fairly flat. Within maybe 45 minutes the winds picked up and there were large waves with whitecaps.
Event warmup:

Walked around and talked with Ellen, her friend Donna and Max. Then we saw Glen. I also saw 4 of my friends from master swim. One girl was doing her first tri. She couldn't figure out why everyone was putting deodorant on their necks and legs.:)
It was starting to become really chilly and I decided to put on my wetsuit a little early to get warm.
I did a small warm up swim...the water was very cold on my face.Lots of waves too.
Swim
  • 08m 8s
  • 220 yards
  • 03m 38s / 100 yards
Comments:

This wasn't real swimming ..it was more like just make it through by any means possible. I did side stroke, breast stroke and a little free. I swallowed a lot of ocean water.
One woman in front of me freaked out and had to be helped on to a board by a fellow swimmer. There were a ton of people hanging off those things.
It was very congested and immpossible to find a swim rhythm.
What would you do differently?:

Not do tri's with ocean swims...I love the ocean...just not swimming in it!
Transition 1
  • 04m
Comments:

They had pools to step in when you exited the beach to rinse your feet. This was great because I never thought to bring a basin or anything. I had my sandals by the pool.

I took my time and put on socks, a shirt and my vest. Had a tought time getting my bike shoes on.

Move faster! It was cold and I would rather waste a little more time and be comfortable.
Bike
  • 36m 18s
  • 10.25 miles
  • 16.94 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt a little sick to my stomach from drinking all the salt water..thank God it went away after 5 minutes or so!
I felt great on the bike and passed a lot of people. I was staying with these 2 guys and we would pass each other and catch up for the last 5 miles or so.
I did end up passing a guy on the right...I know its not allowed, but he would just stay way to the left and not move, and there was traffic in the left lane. I did say loudly "passing on your RIGHT"
I saw a few wipe outs and lots of people with flats.

My bike computer says I average 17mph...I was psyched to see that!

Nothing... did the best I could on the wet roads.

Transition 2
  • 02m 17s
Comments:

My feet were frozen...colder than at Mooseman. I put on dry socks which felt great!

nothing....just move faster...get speed laces one of these days!
Run
  • 38m 40s
  • 3.6 miles
  • 10m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

I did pretty well in my least favorite part of a tri.
My feet didn't start to thaw until mile 2.5.
I tried to distract myself from negative thoughts while tons of people flew past me.

Max passed me on the run and it was just starting to rain. An official guy road by on his bike going the opposite way encouraging us by yelling "come on now people..I don't want to get wet out here, lets go!"
I see Max give him a huge squirt with his water bottle! It was hard to tell if the guy was pissed or amused.
I ran the last mile with 2 women and we chatted about kids...etc. It made the time go by quickly. Plus they were faster than me so they paced me.

Work on my overall running speed. The problem with that is I start hurting as I try to increase my speed in general. If I always stay slow I feel fine.
Post race
Warm down:

It was raining fairly hard now. I saw 2 people from master swim who already finished. I started packing up my stuff and saw Ellen coming in. Wearing the Mooseman jersey and hat, she was easy to spot even without my glasses on...ran over to give her a high five.
I put all my crap in my car and changed clothes in the bathhouse. Another bad thing about salt water is that you are so sticky its hard to get dry clothes on.
I hung out with Ellen, Matt, Max and Donna for the awards. I was really getting cold.
I drove home and went straight to bed to get warm...slept for an hour or so. Then I showered and went to work. We had a really busy night...of course!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The rough water, wet roads...bad weather in general.
Oh yeah...plus I need to get faster!

Event comments:

I can't wait to do the September sprint. I hope I can improve my times.
I would reccommend this race. They do everthing right! I just wish the weather was better...
It's so fun seeing people that I know at the races, plus it keeps me from getting nervous.

Last updated: 2006-04-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:08 | 220 yards | 03m 38s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/34
Overall: 0/752
Performance: Bad
Suit: full wetsuit
Course: rectangle from the left side to the right.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 58F / 14C Current: High
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Bad
Waves: Below average Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Bad
T1
Time: 04:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:36:18 | 10.25 miles | 16.94 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: lots of turns through the towns...roads were slick so the turns were slow.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:17
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:38:40 | 03.6 miles | 10m 44s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: lollipop course...out and back. mostly nice and flat.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-06-11 11:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Plymouth MA
Subject: Hyannis I Sprint Triathlon

2006-06-11 12:25 PM
in reply to: #450275

User image

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431
Subject: RE: Hyannis I Sprint Triathlon

hey Patty, it was great to see you yesterday!  You had another great race, that makes two in two freakin weeks!  You are a tri monster!  LOL

I'm so glad you had a good race, even tho the water was so rough.   I was feeling pretty guilty about talking you into doing this race when the whitecaps appeared.  Hyannis II huh?  It's the same weekend as FirmMan, so I need to make up my mind.

Congrats again 

2006-06-11 2:04 PM

User image

Master
Bronze member
hey- Congatulations! Ellen's right -you ARE a tri monster! Think you are hooked..What a baptism you have had with your 2 races!!!!Give you LOTS of credit for sticking with it in conditions- and have fun doing it..I hope I get to race with you all real soon!
2006-06-11 4:43 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Awesome Race Patty!

Ms. speedy on the bike...wow you are getting fast. Look at that run pace...great work there!

Sounds like even worse conditions than last week...I'm glad the race was shorter.

You did amazing!

Congrats on a great race....can't wait to see how you improve by the next one....I'm sure a lot!

2006-06-12 7:17 AM

User image

Pro
MA

Great race , Patty.  Ocean swim can be tough.  I freaked last year at Boston, even though I grew up swimming in the sea. 

Awesome bike pace! 

2006-06-12 7:24 AM

Pro
Andover
Yeah, GREAT RACE, Tri Monster.

The conditions sure can change in a hurry around these parts. Nice job working through the elements.

2006-06-12 7:34 AM

User image

Expert
wrightsville beach, North Carolina
Hi patty! Very nice meeting you !! Glad you had such a great 'fun' time. Keep up the good work!!
2006-06-12 9:12 AM

User image

Master
Maine
Great job racing on consecutive weekends!
2006-06-12 11:40 AM

User image

Master
Canandaigua
Smoking bike ride. Great time..
2006-06-12 8:18 PM

User image

Master
Canandaigua
Just got a chance to read the whole thing. Look like you are getting this thing down well. You should be proud. Congratulation.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Hyannis I Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed