General Discussion Race Reports! » Cayuga Lake Triathlon - Intermediate Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Cayuga Lake Triathlon - Intermediate Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Taughannock Falls State Park, New York
United States
Ithaca Triathlon Club
80F / 27C
Precipitation
Total Time = 3h 00m 20s
Overall Rank = 118/230
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 8/13
Pre-race routine:

I signed up to race with Mike. Unfortunately he had a bizarre running accident, stung by a bee and has some weird thing going on with it healing up. So no steak on this race either. I set a goal of under 3 hours. I was damn close.
Caught a ride down with Lynn, masters coach. Its about an hour and quarter so its nice to have company there and back. We did have better last weather than the last time we rode together. Still 80 degrees at 4:00am. Left at 4:40am.
Arrived at 5:45am first thing. No lines for anything. Its a wide open transition with lots of room. Hung out with Broome County team a little mainly just stood around. Waited mainly to see if we were wetsuit legal or not. It was.
Event warmup:

Took a 50yd swim to get wet.
Swim
  • 28m 21s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 44s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started dead center front. Not sure but no one was crowding the line. Oh well more room for me. I was sure I would be run over but didn't. The spaced 10 minutes off the last wave instead of 5. It was a straight out and back. Must be the yellow turn buoy looked far away because I was asked like a dozen times "Do we turn at that far yellow buoy?" You're in the Oly its the longest.
There was a chop coming head in. We started and no one running me over. Its a line swim so had a bunch next to the line mixing it up. Couple on the left so after a 200yd sprint settle in to a long reach and glide. Had a guy drafting. Now I have drafted and hit a few toes but this guy was mauling my feet, after 5 or 6 times gave a good kick to let him know move it. Half way out some guy must have been trying line cause he likes climb over my legs. Then he was gone. Didn't see hide nor hair of him. rest of the swim was good passing some of the stragglers off the wave before. I did have a hard time staying off the line returning. The sucked as it was rough nylon. Swam right up to the shore and hit the mats well.
What would you do differently?:

Not much.
Transition 1
  • 01m 17s
Comments:

Went well. I got this T1 thing down after 7 years. Love the sleeveless suit no more elbows stuck in suit.
1/13 in AG.

Realize I can go that fast. I always thing I'm forgetting something.
Bike
  • 1h 23m 18s
  • 24.3 miles
  • 17.50 mile/hr
Comments:

Well this course is a bear. It starts with about 2 miles of climbing. No chance to rest after then swim. Except for a lot of grinding the gears it was uneventful except for pushing a downhill and almost biting it. I did know it was there just pushed it a little hard. Used all the shoulder for sure. The route goes up from the lake then back down and reverse. Had a couple gels at the half way point. Glad I brought two bottles of water. The bottle exchange they had 3 years ago was a no go. Have to check the course map. Nobody fault but mine. As we turned back it started to rain a little then started to spit a little more. At spots a pretty good rain.
Get past by the first female about two miles from the finish. She started ten minutes behind. As least a little bike booty for about 3 seconds.
Guess I'll have ot wait for the run.
Slide into the park of course its a two mile downhill so if 35mph is sliding so be it. Gotta love it, its the only reason I go up hills to go down them.

Anti-gravity shoes.
I was hoping to do better but the same as three years ago.
Transition 2
  • 03m 31s
Comments:

13/13 AG, 225/230

OK, no I didn't fall down. I yet to figure out stop the chaffing of the armpits. I glided the hell out of them before the swim and still serious chaff. I had to run to my bag and find the A&D ointment to slather up the pits to be able to stand the run.
Lucky for the lady standing by the fence it was my pits not my shorts she may have gone blind. This is where I missed my sub three hours.
Really wet suit off, up on bike in a minute some and 3 minutes to put a pair of shoes on??
Run
  • 1h 03m 23s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

2 minutes faster. can't complain its a improvement.
The rain let up and weather got muggy and hot. I could tell because after a mile the was a constant drip off the corner of my visor. Its a really nice run. Too nice to ruin it with a mile swim and 24 miles of bike but that is the sport.
I knew I had to keep moving along to finish under 3 so got going right away. Skipped the first water stop right out of Transition. Got a mile and half to go for water. There is a half way water stop but decided to skip that one too. Its a trail run for the most part well the whole thing. Grass for half then smooth trail some with light gravel. High five Bob Stocks on the way by. He is looking a little fatigued but end of an Oly after a day with sprint and Oly could do that to a person. You are still ahead of me. Need to stop and stretch back out and that does me good. You run up to the base of a nice falls then back out to the lake front. 2x today. Its cooler then a road race but still painfully humid and hot. There wasn't much talking except for some great cheering from the volunteers. Just kept mentally pushing on. Got passed by one of my AG mates in the last 1/4 mile.

Again uneventful. Find a pair of sneakers that I like.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed a couple bottles of water, stopped watchWeight. but figure I was to close to call it a goal. Picked up some watermelon and bagel and walked.
Cleaned up transition. Begged the volunteers for a shirt. I'm a sucker for pink shirts. So now i'm committed to volunteer next year.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Weight. Lack of hard training and the A&D ointment on the bottom of the bag.
Lack of coffee in AM.

Event comments:

I would rather have been racing Mike and Ken for this race.
They do a great job with everything but lunch. It bagels and fruit. can't have everything.
To tell you the truth I don't really like the oly distance to me you might as well go for a half.

Last updated: 2012-02-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:21 | 1640 yards | 01m 44s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/13
Overall: 24/230
Performance: Good
Suit: Sleeveless
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:17
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:23:18 | 24.3 miles | 17.50 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/13
Overall: 132/230
Performance: Average
Wind: Strong
Course:
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:31
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
01:03:23 | 06.21 miles | 10m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/13
Overall: 125/230
Performance: Average
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-08-06 9:48 PM

User image

Master
Canandaigua
Subject: Cayuga Lake Triathlon - Intermediate Course

2012-08-07 8:14 AM
in reply to: #4350314

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Cayuga Lake Triathlon - Intermediate Course
So close to goal!  Awesome!!!

You didn't have coffee....but remember when we last did that race you drank my coffee then lost a few minutes in transition having to pee.  Wouldn't be as close to goal if you had the coffee Tongue out
2012-08-07 8:21 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Nice race!  I think that makes you 3 - 0 in the challenge contests this year. I guess I owe a steak or something!
2012-08-07 3:22 PM

User image

Master
Rochester, NY
Entertaining report as always.  Good job getting it done.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cayuga Lake Triathlon - Intermediate Course Rss Feed