Pine Mountain, Georgia
United States
Dave Johnson Enterprises
Total Time = 2h 30m 54s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4am for the two-hour drive down to Callaway. I had a diet Code Red Mountain Dew and a bottle of water on the drive down. Planned on grabbing a couple of pancakes at the advertised participant's breakfast. When I got there I found out the breakfast was $5. Since I was only planning on eating 2 pancakes, I nixed that idea and grabbed a pack of cheese crackers out of my truck with a bottle of Gatorade.

Despite having a map of Callaway, I got lost trying to find the start. There were no signs anywhere leading up to the event and once on the property, there were random gates requiring key card access turning the place into a giant maze. Saw numerous other drivers having the same problem.

The transition was two long racks with first come, first serve. Found a spot about 3/4 of the way from the swim heading toward the bike out/in. I figured I would rather run the greater distance without my bike from the water and again to the run out. Plenty of room to set up.
Event warmup:

No real warm-up this time.
Swim
  • 17m 33s
  • 1094 yards
  • 01m 36s / 100 yards
Comments:

Rough start as I could not find open water for a couple hundred yards. I planned to start at the front this time, but backed off and started in the second/third row for some assinine reason. Speaking of assinine, the bouys and our swim caps were the same color orange. Guess which blurry, bobbing orange ball in front of you is the bouy!

No way this course was 1K. I'm just not that fast.
What would you do differently?:

Start at the front.
Transition 1
  • 03m 20s
Comments:

Transition times included the long distance between the in/out's. I tried to run coming out of the water, but it hurt my foot so I backed off and walked. Otherwise, I felt like I had a good transition. Forgot to put on my shirt for the bike, which had to have saved me some time.

Run if I can and put on my shirt.
Bike
  • 58m 3s
  • 18.64 miles
  • 18.97 mile/hr
Comments:

Beautiful ride around the Gardens. I missed out on some of the scenery trying to dodge the cars on the course and watching out for the twenty-four 90 degree turns, but there was plenty to go around. Was happy with my ride and felt like I kept a good pace throughout. Dropped one of my gloves coming out of T1, so now I'm riding with no shirt and one glove. This just keeps getting better.

More time on the bike. I was happy with this ride, but there is a lot of room for improvement. Oh, and start riding without gloves.
Transition 2
  • 04m 12s
Comments:

Really wasn't in a hurry to start running, and it showed.
Run
  • 1h 07m 49s
  • 4.97 miles
  • 13m 30s  min/mile
Comments:

My foot felt tight with minimal pain at the outset, so I decided to aim for a twelve minute pace walking every sixth minute. I was able to hold it together for the out and back, but somewhere after the third mile marker my achilles starting hurting. I just shut it down and walked the rest of the way. I've got enough problems with my foot without adding more.

Nothing really; I just need some time to work through this injury. It held up better than I expected it to, quite honestly.
Post race
Warm down:

Ha! I walked the last two miles of the race.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My left foot.

Event comments:

The race itself was well-organized, but the before and after seemed chaotic and poorly planned. Could use more attention to detail.

Last updated: 2012-08-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:33 | 1094 yards | 01m 36s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: One loop, counter-clockwise around the lake.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:20
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:58:03 | 18.64 miles | 18.97 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: Out and back around the perimeter of the property. Twelve 90 degree turns going out and again coming back. Mostly small rolling hills with a couple of good climbs going out. Overall, a fast course.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 04:12
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:07:49 | 04.97 miles | 13m 30s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: First three miles were out and back on a bike trail, then one lap around the lake.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized?
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2012-09-02 5:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Georgia
Subject: Callaway Gardens Triathlon

2012-09-02 6:54 PM
in reply to: #4392321

User image

Expert
Noosa
Subject: RE: Callaway Gardens Triathlon
Excellent! You smashed it!!! I think that 1k swim might be a bit faster than expected though BUT its thats their problem not yours! Now we'll all be expecting you to be swimming 1:36 at your next tri!
2012-09-02 6:57 PM

User image

Champion
marietta
Cars on the course. Wtf. Awesome job!!!!
2012-09-03 8:14 AM

User image

Expert
metro west, MA
Great job, David! Hope your foot heals fast.
2012-09-03 10:29 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Congrats on your day! I agree - that swim course is always short.

Way to go!
2012-09-03 2:53 PM

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina
Nice job, David.  Sounds like you made the right call and played it safe on the run.  There will be other races where you can crush the run just like you did on the swim and bike today.  Heal that foot/achilles and get better.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Callaway Gardens Triathlon Rss Feed