General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Focusing on striking Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2012-09-18 11:28 AM

User image

New user
Subject: Focusing on striking

This winter I want to try to make big strides in my running.  It's admittedly my weakest link and the one I struggle with.  I have an old injury that can make running painful, and it's just the way it is.  I did my first run today while really focusing on my striking.  I want to develop that good mid/forefoot strike until it becomes natural to me.  I went to the gym to jump on the treadmill today since it's rainy and windy and I figured fewer distractions would be better for me.

The things I noticed:

My striking was right on until about 28 minutes into the run.  I wasn't running fast.  Was running about 5.5 mph.  I'm a slow runner to begin with and really just wanted to focus on form and striking more than anything else.  After that, it got difficult to hold that strike consistently.

There's a HUGE difference once that strike changes that was instantly noticed.  I had less aches and pains when I went back to my old sloppier running, but it didn't feel as good while running.

And lastly...my calves HATE me after 5.25 miles of trying to run like that.  I noticed some small ache in my knee, but mostly just my calves getting tight.  It's going to take some time to get used to this.

How long did it take you to adjust to a different foot strike?

Shane

2012-09-18 11:34 AM
in reply to: #4416587

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Subject: RE: Focusing on striking

Without logs is difficult to form a good opinion, but it sounds like you are not a long time runner.

I'd suggest you just take it easy, running easily and slowly building mileage at what feels natural to YOU.

Trying to force yourself to run a certain way is more likely to get you injured than letting your body figure it out is, especially in a 'young' runner's case.

2012-09-18 11:38 AM

User image

Expert
Savannah
firemedic001918 - 2012-09-18 12:28 PM

This winter I want to try to make big strides in my running.  It's admittedly my weakest link and the one I struggle with.  I have an old injury that can make running painful, and it's just the way it is.  I did my first run today while really focusing on my striking.  I want to develop that good mid/forefoot strike until it becomes natural to me.  I went to the gym to jump on the treadmill today since it's rainy and windy and I figured fewer distractions would be better for me.

The things I noticed:

My striking was right on until about 28 minutes into the run.  I wasn't running fast.  Was running about 5.5 mph.  I'm a slow runner to begin with and really just wanted to focus on form and striking more than anything else.  After that, it got difficult to hold that strike consistently.

There's a HUGE difference once that strike changes that was instantly noticed.  I had less aches and pains when I went back to my old sloppier running, but it didn't feel as good while running.

And lastly...my calves HATE me after 5.25 miles of trying to run like that.  I noticed some small ache in my knee, but mostly just my calves getting tight.  It's going to take some time to get used to this.

Shane

If your natural gait isn't the cause of the old injury that causes pain when you run, why change it.  Also it sounds like your are in less pain when running natural and not trying to force the midfoot/forefoot strike, so why force it?  What's pushing you to WANT to change to a mid/forefoot strike? 

User image

Master
Denison Texas
I moved to a more forefoot form and had some similar tightness/soreness in my calves at first but it did get better, sorry I can't really remember how long but it wasn't bad.

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

These are my thoughts:

First, focus on getting your foot to strike under your center of gravity.  Don't worry too much about which part of your foot is actually contacting the ground first.  Think 'light' feet, with fairly quick turnover and trying to minimize the time your foot actually has contact with the ground.  Second, try to run frequently but mostly short and easy (especially at first).  If you are really doing something that significantly alters your form, 5.25mi is too much.  2 or 3mi might be appropraite.  And, finally, when your running starts to get 'sloppy' then re-focus and fix it.  If you find you can't or it breaks down again quickly, your run is over.  Come back tomorrow and try again.

2012-09-18 11:39 AM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

You say "this winter", and I think you're just beginning to make the change. Then you say "5.25 miles" and I want to cringe.

If you're just starting to make that change, you're pushing it WAY too far too fast.

2012-09-18 11:45 AM

User image

New user

That's the kind of feedback I was looking for.  I'll dial back the milage.  And unfortunately, my logs are not completely up to date.  Work has been getting in the way of logging.

The reason I want to make the change is to hopefully make running my comfortable.  When I was 21 I shattered my talus (the bone that supports your tib/fib) and broke my fibula.  Part of why I don't run more than I currently do is the fact that it gets pretty uncomfortable which is simply a product of the injury.  My thinking is that if I can get to a better foot strike (lighter/quicker feet like was mentioned) I can try to minimize some of that and make running more comfortable and enjoyable once again!

Time to slow down and start from square one with the running!

Thanks,
Shane 

2012-09-18 11:48 AM

Veteran
Niagara Region
I made the change this year and it has paid major dividends. I used to heal strike an would have aches and pains after running now after about 70 miles running as a mid foot stricker I find running easier and not much pain if any at all. Im built like a linebacker at 6ft 225. Not fat just heavy, but I can run long runs of 10 miles and am working towards a 1/2 marathon in November. In a sprint tri on the weekend i rode about 34 kph on the bike and using my chi running ran a 26 minute 5km my quads where pumped but the runn was great within anout 100 meters.

Also shoes are import for the mid foot strike I find my old runners feel dead and the heal can get in the way. I switched to the newton sir Isaac. And it is a great runner for the mid foot strike. Lastly yes your calves and Achilles will need time to adjust. get your chi on.
2012-09-18 11:54 AM

User image

Expert
Floriduh
"Run often, mostly easy, sometimes hard" 
2012-09-18 12:13 PM

User image

Master

Changing your stride can take a while. As others have said, make sure you know why you are doing it.

I don't know enough bio-mechanics to tell you whether the forefoot/midfoot will relieve stress on your talus.

I can tell you that I have been working on my stride for about 2 years and still slip into heel striking when I am tired. It took a while to develop the habit and musculature to support the change.

From what I have read, heel striking vs. midfoot doesn't reduce the stress, it just moves it to a different part of the leg. I have read that when you heel strike, more of the force needs to be absorbed by the bones vs. a midfoot/forefoot strike where the muscles and tendons absorb more.

Good luck!

2012-09-18 12:19 PM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
Also make sure that you're allowing the heel to come down after the initial forefoot/midfoot contact. Do NOT "stay on your toes" -- that's a sure-fire recipe for achilles issues.

2012-09-18 12:29 PM
in reply to: #4416626

User image

Runner
You say that in the past, running has been painful and difficult due to your prior injury. I'm curious as to what your running consisted of in those days.

Did you go out and try to set a good time every run?
Did you try to run each run better/faster/longer than your previous ones?
Did you have specific goals for your overall training?
Did you have a specific goal for every run you went on?
How often did you run?

A person with an injury such as yours is going to have to take a loooong time developing the structural components (specifically, the bones, muscles, connective tissues). You develop these components by applying stress, and then allowing the body to recover. If you do too much and keep at it, you short-change your body by cutting down on its ability to absorb and adapt to the stress you are putting on it.

All of that is a long way of saying that shorter, easier runs on a more frequent basis are going to serve you far better than trying to focus on what part of your foot touches the ground when (which, to be honest, I don't think most people are quite as good at being able to determine this as they think).
2012-09-18 2:28 PM
in reply to: #4416721

User image

New user
Scout7 - 2012-09-18 1:29 PMYou say that in the past, running has been painful and difficult due to your prior injury. I'm curious as to what your running consisted of in those days.Did you go out and try to set a good time every run?Did you try to run each run better/faster/longer than your previous ones?Did you have specific goals for your overall training?Did you have a specific goal for every run you went on?How often did you run?A person with an injury such as yours is going to have to take a loooong time developing the structural components (specifically, the bones, muscles, connective tissues). You develop these components by applying stress, and then allowing the body to recover. If you do too much and keep at it, you short-change your body by cutting down on its ability to absorb and adapt to the stress you are putting on it.All of that is a long way of saying that shorter, easier runs on a more frequent basis are going to serve you far better than trying to focus on what part of your foot touches the ground when (which, to be honest, I don't think most people are quite as good at being able to determine this as they think).

You certainly provided some interesting points. Thank you for that. I started running in preparation for the CT Fire Academy when I got hired. During the academy we ran at least 2-3 times per week and distances varied depending on the instructors whims and how our class was doing. After graduating the academy I just kind of stuck with running a bit despite the pain.

For your first question, I didn't really set a goal for a run for each one. More often not it was simply to run. The downside was that I knew the longer I ran, the more I'd have to pay for it. As for setting a "good time" every run, I'm admittedly a one speed runner. Regardless of distance I find my pace to be the same (relatively slow which I'm ok with).

For faster, longer, etc; it would depend on the day. How much time I had, where I was running. Things like that. I would run further outside then on a treadmill since boredom sets in on the treadmill. And I would run further on a trail run then a road run since it tended to make my legs feel better. I've never really followed a running plan. Which I'm sure is something that would benefit me greatly.

My goals for running would be to make it so that I look forward to my runs rather than viewing and treating them as a necessary evil. I did a HIM this year, and admittedly way undertrained the run (which I knew gong into it). I paid for it on the run as I expected to and don't want to make the mistake again. I did sign up for IMMT for August simply with a goal to finish. I'm confident in my swim and my bike. My run always leaves me doubts. For me success will come with a time inside the cutoff.

My goals for running to this point were simply to get out and run. I would always try to keep my mileage somewhat consistent. So I wouldn't do 3 miles one day and then try for 15 the next. I'd add a quarter mile here and there. Again, a plan would probably benefit me a lot.

As for run frequency, it would vary anywhere from 2-3 times a week to 5-6 times a week. When I was running frequently, I kept it to three miles on the treadmill at the gym. The treadmill was good for reducing impact. Now I want to make running more comfortable like I said so I can actually look forward to running. That's my major goal at this point.

Thanks for the questions and making me think more about this. And for the feedback! There's a ton of experience on these forums and I appreciate the help. And maybe someone else is having similar issues but was afraid to ask.

Thanks again, Shane

Edited by firemedic001918 2012-09-18 2:31 PM

2012-09-18 2:40 PM

My suggestion would be to make the change gradually--let yourself continue to do some runs with your old form while slowly mixing in the new form. I'd recommend taking a look at this blog post (not mine)--I think there are some pretty good tips for modifying your form:

http://www.runblogger.com/2010/09/changing-running-form-my-journey-to.html

2012-09-18 3:00 PM

User image

Regular
Madison
Others have said it, and I'll repeat it. When working on your strike/gait, you need to really reel it back in. I made the mistake of starting to work on mine and I got Newtons (which now I love) and went out two days later for a 7 mile run. Did I survive, yes, but my calves were tight for the next 2 days. So I switched back and forth between my Brooks and Newtons throughout the week and now solely run in the Newtons while occasionally in others. You're looking at the whole Vibram 5-finger lawsuit incident all over again. You can't just strap on a pair of barely there shoes and expect an instant result. First time I wore my 5Fingers, I ran a half mile, then 3/4, and then up to a couple miles. But I've never run more than 2 in them that I can remember. You've got to break it in slow. You can't just expect to undo a lifelong style of running overnight.
2012-09-18 3:18 PM
in reply to: #4417055

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
firemedic001918 - 2012-09-18 3:28 PM

As for run frequency, it would vary anywhere from 2-3 times a week to 5-6 times a week. When I was running frequently, I kept it to three miles on the treadmill at the gym. The treadmill was good for reducing impact. Now I want to make running more comfortable like I said so I can actually look forward to running. That's my major goal at this point.

That's a good goal.  The best way to do that is likley to do that 5-6x/wk consistently for a long time.  Scout's advice, as usual, is quite good.

2012-09-18 3:41 PM
in reply to: #4417055

User image

Runner
firemedic001918 - 2012-09-18 3:28 PM

My goals for running would be to make it so that I look forward to my runs rather than viewing and treating them as a necessary evil.

I did a HIM this year, and admittedly way undertrained the run (which I knew gong into it). I paid for it on the run as I expected to and don't want to make the mistake again. My run always leaves me doubts. For me success will come with a time inside the cutoff.

My goals for running to this point were simply to get out and run. I would always try to keep my mileage somewhat consistent. ... I want to make running more comfortable like I said so I can actually look forward to running. That's my major goal at this point.

OK, I trimmed down your response to focus on the things I feel are important for now (not that the rest wasn't good or useful, just not what I think the focus should be on).

The hardest part of running is the patience required. Unfortunately, with your history and injury, you are going to need more of this than some other people might. So, focusing on making running enjoyable is a good way to help, which means that your stated goal of making running fun is probably one of the best goals, if not the singular best goal, a person in your position (specifically, someone who is relatively new to running) can have. So for that, I commend you.

Now, how to go about it...
Firstly, you gotta stop thinking about "fast" and "slow". Change those words to "hard" and "easy". Right now, the effort you run is way more important than the pace that you run at, so focus on words that relate to effort. (Note: you are doing better than some people I have met in this regard, but you do mention being slow. So knock that off.)

Next, I think a good training plan for you would be on that focuses on getting in a bunch of little runs (like I alluded to earlier), all done at a pretty easy effort. These runs are going to help you build up your body to handle the impact of running hard later on. You are laying a foundation on which you can build your future fitness, and you are establishing running as a habit. As I mentioned in a post in a separate thread, consistency in training and experience are probably the two biggest factors in having a good race (that you can control, anyway). So lots of short easy runs will help with both of those things.

Right now, don't focus on adding mileage to runs, but rather focus on adding to the number of runs you do. That means for now, your runs may be ridiculously short on some days; that's not a bad thing at all. You go out and jog around the block for 15 minutes. It's a run, it counts, and it helps your body build itself up. And when you go out, don't worry about the time or pace. Focus on feeling good. When you finish, you should feel like you can go out and do the exact same run at the exact same effort again without a problem.

When you run, as others have mentioned, listen to the sounds you make. You want to hear a soft thudding from your feet. Anything like a loud slapping, scuffing, or stomping sound is just bad juju. When you notice something that's not sounding right, ease up on the effort, and focus on adjusting what you are doing until it sounds right again.

Focus on those things, you will do alright.
2012-09-18 3:47 PM

User image

New user
Thank you so much for the awesome reply. I can't thank you enough! I'll give all of your suggestions a try this week. Thanks again,Shane
2012-09-18 4:09 PM
in reply to: #4417305

User image

Expert
Wendell, NC

Scout7 - 2012-09-18 4:41 PM
firemedic001918 - 2012-09-18 3:28 PM My goals for running would be to make it so that I look forward to my runs rather than viewing and treating them as a necessary evil. I did a HIM this year, and admittedly way undertrained the run (which I knew gong into it). I paid for it on the run as I expected to and don't want to make the mistake again. My run always leaves me doubts. For me success will come with a time inside the cutoff. My goals for running to this point were simply to get out and run. I would always try to keep my mileage somewhat consistent. ... I want to make running more comfortable like I said so I can actually look forward to running. That's my major goal at this point.
OK, I trimmed down your response to focus on the things I feel are important for now (not that the rest wasn't good or useful, just not what I think the focus should be on). The hardest part of running is the patience required. Unfortunately, with your history and injury, you are going to need more of this than some other people might. So, focusing on making running enjoyable is a good way to help, which means that your stated goal of making running fun is probably one of the best goals, if not the singular best goal, a person in your position (specifically, someone who is relatively new to running) can have. So for that, I commend you. Now, how to go about it... Firstly, you gotta stop thinking about "fast" and "slow". Change those words to "hard" and "easy". Right now, the effort you run is way more important than the pace that you run at, so focus on words that relate to effort. (Note: you are doing better than some people I have met in this regard, but you do mention being slow. So knock that off.) Next, I think a good training plan for you would be on that focuses on getting in a bunch of little runs (like I alluded to earlier), all done at a pretty easy effort. These runs are going to help you build up your body to handle the impact of running hard later on. You are laying a foundation on which you can build your future fitness, and you are establishing running as a habit. As I mentioned in a post in a separate thread, consistency in training and experience are probably the two biggest factors in having a good race (that you can control, anyway). So lots of short easy runs will help with both of those things. Right now, don't focus on adding mileage to runs, but rather focus on adding to the number of runs you do. That means for now, your runs may be ridiculously short on some days; that's not a bad thing at all. You go out and jog around the block for 15 minutes. It's a run, it counts, and it helps your body build itself up. And when you go out, don't worry about the time or pace. Focus on feeling good. When you finish, you should feel like you can go out and do the exact same run at the exact same effort again without a problem. When you run, as others have mentioned, listen to the sounds you make. You want to hear a soft thudding from your feet. Anything like a loud slapping, scuffing, or stomping sound is just bad juju. When you notice something that's not sounding right, ease up on the effort, and focus on adjusting what you are doing until it sounds right again. Focus on those things, you will do alright.

Stuff like this is why I love BT.  Well thought out and well said Scout.

2012-09-18 4:13 PM
in reply to: #4417165

User image

Regular
Thousand Oaks

djrigby9 - 2012-09-18 1:00 PM Others have said it, and I'll repeat it. When working on your strike/gait, you need to really reel it back in. I made the mistake of starting to work on mine and I got Newtons (which now I love) and went out two days later for a 7 mile run. Did I survive, yes, but my calves were tight for the next 2 days. So I switched back and forth between my Brooks and Newtons throughout the week and now solely run in the Newtons while occasionally in others. You're looking at the whole Vibram 5-finger lawsuit incident all over again. You can't just strap on a pair of barely there shoes and expect an instant result. First time I wore my 5Fingers, I ran a half mile, then 3/4, and then up to a couple miles. But I've never run more than 2 in them that I can remember. You've got to break it in slow. You can't just expect to undo a lifelong style of running overnight.

Yeah the Newtons are a good suggestion here as they are categorized as "trainers" in a way. They train you to eliminate the heel strike which sometimes can cause injuries in a lot of people.  Everybody I know that switched says the same thing which is that "they love them." I've only been running trails and I love my Brooks Cascadia, but as I got back to the pavement I think I'll give the Newtons a try.

2012-09-18 4:42 PM
in reply to: #4417366

User image

New user
Hilltopper1972 - 2012-09-18 5:13 PM

djrigby9 - 2012-09-18 1:00 PM Others have said it, and I'll repeat it. When working on your strike/gait, you need to really reel it back in. I made the mistake of starting to work on mine and I got Newtons (which now I love) and went out two days later for a 7 mile run. Did I survive, yes, but my calves were tight for the next 2 days. So I switched back and forth between my Brooks and Newtons throughout the week and now solely run in the Newtons while occasionally in others. You're looking at the whole Vibram 5-finger lawsuit incident all over again. You can't just strap on a pair of barely there shoes and expect an instant result. First time I wore my 5Fingers, I ran a half mile, then 3/4, and then up to a couple miles. But I've never run more than 2 in them that I can remember. You've got to break it in slow. You can't just expect to undo a lifelong style of running overnight.

Yeah the Newtons are a good suggestion here as they are categorized as "trainers" in a way. They train you to eliminate the heel strike which sometimes can cause injuries in a lot of people.  Everybody I know that switched says the same thing which is that "they love them." I've only been running trails and I love my Brooks Cascadia, but as I got back to the pavement I think I'll give the Newtons a try.

I have the newton sir issac stability trainers and love them. I have less pain in those than any shoe I've ever run in. And I've been fit for the past few years at a running store for proper shoes. I'm pleased with the shoes, but I want to get the most out of the shoes, and out of my running. Shane

2012-09-18 9:16 PM

Veteran
Niagara Region
Sir isaacs here and I want to add a pair of gravity newtons to the stable. I love the shoe and will be running a half in them in November.
2012-09-19 11:39 AM
in reply to: #4417317

User image

Regular
Boston

I would also try to video yourself when running!

we (ubersense) just came out with a free iphone app that you can use to video yourself, and then analyze your stride.  

When I videod myself i was surprised at some aspects of my stride.  

You can also use our app to compare two videos- so you can take a "before" video, and then a series of "after" videos and check your progress.

The app (did I mention its free?) is here: http://ubersen.se/trihub_bt

the how-to manual for improving your run form using the app is here: http://ubersen.se/trihub_runform

2012-09-19 12:57 PM
in reply to: #4418580

User image

Expert
Savannah
It strikes again!
2012-09-19 1:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wauwatosa, WI
firemedic001918 - 2012-09-18 11:28 AM

Shane

It took me four months. I started out running a quarter mile. Then a half. Then three quarters. Then one. I did a couch-to-5k over the course of 12 weeks incorporating walk/run intervals.

After four months, I still had achy metatarsals (or whatever the tendons along them are called). My feet were just chronically sore. Sometimes sore enough to make me wonder if I should skip and take another recovery day. 

Then something fortuitous happened. I sprained my toe. It turned purple and was very painful for a week. I didn't run AT ALL on it for a full week. During that week, my feet FINALLY had a chance to heal. When I resumed running a week later, my feet were strong and recovered. I can now run several days in a row with no recovery and my feet STILL don't hurt. Just a little anecdote to remind us how important recovery really is, and if I hadn't taken the time to recover (even though it was against my will), I might have spiraled into chronic foot injury problems!

I started my midfoot strike transition in Vibram KSOs, but knew I didn't want to race in them, and I got blisters from them in warmer weather. Now I run in Merrell Dash Gloves. I love them because I can wear thin socks, and run in the cold, and bike in them for a sprint tri. I love them so much I walk the dog and go shopping in them too. 

The biggest thing if you're insisting on changing foot strike is to TAKE IT SLOW. Like, really REALLY slow. It will go so much better and be less frustrating and painful that way!

Edited by Neek-neek 2012-09-19 1:44 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Focusing on striking Rss Feed  

of 2