Hutchinson Recreation Commission
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 30m 55s
Overall Rank = 342/428
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 13/18
Pre-race routine:

Got up at about 5:15. Made a tall cup of decaf. Ate oatmeal with peaches and chia seeds. Made my peanut butter, fig jam, and chia seed quarter sandwiches -- bagged each quarter separately.
Event warmup:

Got to Hutch at a little after 7:00, just as the walkers were starting the race. I thought about sitting in the car with the heater on, as some were doing, but I wanted to acclimate to the cold, so I walked around quite a bit. Just slowly, but still trying to stay warm.

Ran into Bayleigh. She was there to cheer on her running coach, who, I think, after looking at the race results, won first female overall in 1:28:xx. About 10 minutes before the race started, Bay came up and asked, "Dr. Squires, would you like me to pray for you?" I said, yes, and we stood there and hugged for 3 or 4 minutes while she prayed for me. It really touched my heart and her words came back to me during the second half of the run.

I stationed myself behind the 2:15 pacer -- not intending to run with him, but wanting to keep him in my sight for as long as possible. I could still see him at mile 5, but I didn't see him at all after that point.
Run
  • 2h 30m 55s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

Mile 1, 2: I felt great. It was cool out, but I was comfortable. I ended up ditching my sweatshirt and gloves both before mile two. The first water stop was at 1.5 miles. I considered skipping it because there were supposed to be water stops at every 1.5 miles throughout the race. I decided to take a Gatorade, but I didn't stop running to drink it. Slowed down to a shuffle. It turned out to be a very good thing that I drank those few ounces of Gatorade.

Miles 3-5: No water. I was freaking out a little because I was starving. I came up to the 3 mile water stop, pulled out my first quarter of pbj, took a bite and then realized there was no water. I ran for the next mile holding that quarter of a sandwich not sure what to do. I kept telling myself, "You can't eat anything if you aren't drinking water." But I was so hungry, and I was holding it in my hand. In the end, I finished it, thinking, "Well, it will be okay. There will be water at 4.5 miles."

Wrong. No water. I started to panic. I asked the volunteers, "Where is the next water?" They said "Rice Park," which was another 1.5 miles away.

Sure enough, there was water there, but it was the most disgusting water I've ever had, and I've had disgusting water. I drank it all, as nasty as it was, because I felt like I had to. But I was mad and a little afraid that the water would make me sick. I mean, it was that nasty. This was my first real walk break -- about one minute.

I was feeling really low. I could feel my pace slowing, I had wasted a lot of emotional energy worrying about water, my left Achilles was starting to ache, and I wasn't even half way done. I remembered the prayer Bay had prayed for me, about helping me stick to my plan, to stay calm, and confident. And I took a little comfort in it. I told myself, "Okay. You panicked a little, and the water situation is dire, but you can work through this."

I knew it was just a short time after leaving the park that we would enter the neighborhood, so I was hoping someone there would have water. Sure enough. Quite a few people did. I took the first bottle offered (passing on the beer) and thanked him heartily. I wasn't happy about carrying a water bottle (and neither were many of the people running around me based on their verbal complaints), but I decided I didn't have a choice. I couldn't trust that there was going to be any water in the next water stops. And there wasn't. Some of the water stop volunteers weren't even around anymore.

At about mile 7, I began walking for a minute every mile. My legs needed the break, and I wanted to drink. I also ate one more quarter of the PBJ.

I did manage to nab a couple small cups of Gatorade -- at the 9 mile stop, I got one of the last four cups available.

And I just kept getting slower and slower. I was so frustrated, but I just couldn't run faster. I could hear some people around me literally shuffling, and I told myself, "At least keep picking up your feet, even if you set them down quickly. You are not going to begin shuffling."

My Achilles started feeling better, and then my right knee started aching. Just as that let up, my hips started hurting. Then the chaffing started on my thighs. I'd already been suffering with chaffing under my arms since about mile 6. I felt like I was just a total mess.

We turned off of the second trail segment and had 2.1 miles left to the finish. I really thought I was kicking that leg up a little, but they were my slowest two miles. I really didn't have anything left.

Just felt really down after the race. 10 hours later, I am still weepy and down. Very disappointed in myself and my training.
What would you do differently?:

Train better and smarter. I have more long races coming up -- one in October (10, I think) and one in November (15), so I need to get my butt in gear and get those long runs in. I have learned the hard way that 5-6 mile runs don't cut it. I cannot skip the long runs. Now, to convince my family of the wisdom of this truth.
Post race
Warm down:

Got some astronaut ice cream and chocolate milk and collapsed on the 45 yard line. Took my shoes off and stretched. I didn't even get in line for a massage. I told myself I hadn't earned it.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

1) Missed key long runs in the last six weeks. I thought I could fake it, but I couldn't. The wheels fell off right where they should have with the long runs I've been able (or not been able) to do.
2) No water at the scheduled second and third water stations. Gross water at the 4th.
3) The water situation unhinged me. I could feel myself panicking, and actually considered that I wouldn't be able to finish or that I would have to go off the route in search of water. If it hadn't have been for the kind guy in the neighborhood handing out bottles of water (and he wasn't the only one), my race would have been more in the toilet than it was.
4) Hadn't actually run in the shirt I chose. Stupid. Stupid. Stupid. I decided to run in a biking shirt because I wanted the pockets. That was a mistake. It rubbed me raw under my arms -- not in the pits, but actually on the arms. It's really painful.
5) Hadn't done this long of a run in a skirt. My thighs started chaffing at about mile 11. Another brain dead decision.
6) I started out too fast, and I didn't pull back because I secretly wanted to come in at 2:20, and I felt like running a little quicker would get me there. This is part of that "fake it" part. I should have slowed down when I saw that I was running basically at 11 min miles rather than the scheduled 11:37. Once I started running 11:40, I thought I was going to be okay, because I had a few minutes to give, but it was too late, and every mile got slower and slower. The last two miles were at nearly 13 minute mile pace. Horrifying.
7) I suck. I know I shouldn't say that, but that's how I feel.
8) Still trying to figure out nutrition. I don't think that sunk my run at all, but I don't know for sure. It's mostly a problem with
9) lack of training and lack of adequate long runs.

I am not going to try to rationalize what happened, or justify it, or excuse it away. I really can't express the depth of my disappointment in myself.

Last updated: 2012-01-10 12:00 AM
Running
02:30:55 | 13.1 miles | 11m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 13/18
Overall: 342/428
Performance: Below average
First two miles (forgot to hit the pace button at the one mile marker): 21:50 11:01 11:06 11:07 11:31 11:23 (first 6.55 in 1:12:24) 11:40 11:46 Next two miles (weren't marked clearly) 23:38 Final 2.1 miles 26.05 (Final 6.55 in 1:18:31)
Course: 5 miles on biking/running trail 3 miles (or so) through local neighborhoods 3 miles more on biking/running trail 2.1 miles through city streets into Gowan Stadium -- 3/4 lap around the track.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2012-09-23 8:52 PM

User image

Master
Central Kansas
Subject: Salt City Run for the Rocks

2012-09-23 9:24 PM
in reply to: #4424367

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Salt City Run for the Rocks

"I'll just stick with my 2:30 pace bracelet. It looks tough enough.

I am SOOOOO excited!"

Try to remember this, Felicia.  I am so proud of you for calming yourself despite the situation and toughing it out.  I know it is hard and you feel disappointed, but I hope I can be as tough next Sunday.  And I bet the dude was right--you looked great in your pink miniskirt.  Laughing

2012-09-23 9:57 PM

User image

Seattle
Alright, Dr. Squires (OMG that's so hot!) you had a really great race and you certainly don't suck. You also did this race shortly after another really well executed race which, let's not forget, you podiumed! You have some really great takeaways that you can work on and some stuff that was completely out of your control. You have a lot to be proud of today, including the sexy pink skirt!
2012-09-23 10:30 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
That water situation sounds horrible  
One of my favorite sayings is "live and learn" - and it sounds like you did a lot of that! Which is good, trust me! Congrats on gutting it out. These kinds of races make us stronger in the long run than we realize. 
2012-09-24 2:11 AM

User image

Elite

If you haven't got nutrition and hydrations (not by choice) you will be emotional - that's the way the body works.  You could have done the same time with water and PBJ and you would probably be smiling today....It's your body's chemical reaction to no hydration.

so don't be too down - by Wednesday you'll be feeling better as you will have carbed up post race!

Hey I cry when i fail on the stoopid bike - every time.  But I keep getting back on, as will you with the run.  And every time you will improve or learn something...

Love ya!

2012-09-24 6:16 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
WOW, Felica, you rock. In the face of adversity, you KEPT GOING!. You toughed out a race that threw you curve balls and you KEPT GOING! No water, you are chafing, you have a sore body, and you KEPT GOING! And in 1 minute over your goal time! Then, when it was all done, you analyzed the whole deal and figured out spots that you can fix. And you already know what you need to do to improve. That is a successful race in my book. You have no reason to be disappointed in yourself.

2012-09-24 12:03 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

I second (or third) what everyone else is saying. In spite of some tough challenges you still only missed your public goal by a minute! After the way you rocked the off-road race I would say that you'll learn from this one and come out stronger!

I'm glad you had a students prayer to reflect on.  That means a lot. I hope you are feeling better emotionally today.

2012-09-24 12:32 PM

User image

Pennsylvania
Felicia, you are one tough chick!  Chafing (ouchie ouchie ouchie), abysmal water situation, eating PBJ 'dry', sore legs and more but you toughed it out and finished.  You persevered and finished a half marathon in less than ideal conditions.  As others said, many lessons have been learned from this race; respect the lesson, learn from them, and use them to improve your races in the future.  And no, you do not suck.  Not one bit.
2012-09-25 8:34 PM
in reply to: #4424559

User image

Expert
Western WI

cdban66 - 2012-09-24 6:16 AM WOW, Felica, you rock. In the face of adversity, you KEPT GOING!. You toughed out a race that threw you curve balls and you KEPT GOING! No water, you are chafing, you have a sore body, and you KEPT GOING! And in 1 minute over your goal time! Then, when it was all done, you analyzed the whole deal and figured out spots that you can fix. And you already know what you need to do to improve. That is a successful race in my book. You have no reason to be disappointed in yourself.

Doub6 has it right - this is exactly what I was thinking!  You faced obstacle after obstacle and you pushed through them and KEPT GOING!  I am SO PROUD OF YOU, MANATEE!!  You showed us that even in circumstances beyond your control, even when they are not so good, you can summon up both physical (kept running!) and mental (telling yourself to keep picking up your feet) STRENGTH and got it done!!  AND, within 1 min of goal time!  Felicia, that, my friend, is a great day!  You may feel down, and that's alright, but don't forget how hard you worked out there and give yourself the credit you deserve.  You are very strong, Felica.  Thanks for being a great example to us!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Salt City Run for the Rocks Rss Feed