Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Toronto Bicycle Show Rss Feed  
Moderators: Silver_wlf, alicefoeller Reply
2012-09-25 6:46 PM

User image

Calgary, Alberta
Subject: Toronto Bicycle Show
So here is my back story. This past season has been my first triathlon season, I have completed a few sprints and one Olympic. In the beginning I decided that to save money I would get a used road bike. I ended up getting an old Trek 1200. The only problem is that I soon learned that the bike was too big for me. It was fine for my first season but now I have a two year plan of Ironman so maybe a bike with a better fit would be a good idea. I am making the transition from student to working world so my wallet is pointing toward entry level bike at about $1600-1800. Right now the plan is to get fitted at Multi Sport Zone in London, ON, Canada that have F.I.S.T. Certification. I am very novice when it comes to biking and the whole buying process so I figure this will at least give me an idea of what bikes to look out for. For $250 bucks they fit me for both a road bike style and a triathlon bike, giving me options in each category that best suit my body specifically (I have not yet decided on road or tri bike..advice as well? lol). Obviously they want me to buy a bike from them and if I did the cost would be $0 instead of $250. I am wondering what to do with the information I get from this fitting:

a) Buy a bike from them.
b) Go to the Fall Toronto Bicycle Show on October 13th and try to get a deal on a bike from the options provided from the fitting. But even if I bought a bike at the show I would still need to get it fitted to me, would venders do that at the show as an included cost to buying the bike?
c) Buy a used bike from the options provided from the fitting. Then get the bike fitted at a local shop.

I just need some direction. I don't have a lot of money to toss around but I've learned my lesson in buying a bike in haste and a bike with a good fit is VERY important to me. I would appreciate any direction you vets could provide.

2012-09-25 8:01 PM
in reply to: #4427516

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Toronto Bicycle Show

Are you in London?  They used to have a bunch of bikes in the store that were previous year's models that you could get for a better price.

The guys at MSZ are great.  I got my bike from the manager when he was getting a new road bike, I bought his tri bike.  I switched areobars for ones that were more comfortable and they did the fit for free with the new bars.

(I am a bit biased since Jeff if my coach, but I really like them at MSZ - most of my disposable income goes to them )

2012-09-25 9:49 PM
in reply to: #4427596

User image

Calgary, Alberta
hmmm so you think its better to go this route than get fit and go to the Toronto show?
2012-09-26 6:08 AM

User image

Expert
Port Colborne, Ontario

I would get the fit, look around the T.O. to see if you find something that fits your requirements.  If it doesn't, then go back the MSZ to see what they can do for you.  If they have any kind of integrity, they should still honour the $250 deduction off a new bike even if you don't get it the same day you get the fitting.

The only think I can see happening when they give you your coordinates at the fitting is, they'll suggests only bikes that they can get, which would be kind of lame.

2012-09-26 6:12 AM

User image

Master
Southern Ontario

I would buy a tri bike.  It is sport-specific which is what you'll be using it for.  I raced on a road bike for 8 years, but I bought my tri bike 5 years ago and you would have to pry it out of my cold dead hands to get it.  I LOVE that bike.  If you're going to be racing tris - then buy a tri bike.  If you're going to be doing a lot of group riding and racing a couple tris - then a road bike is the way to go. 

I bought used because I could get more bike for my buck and I didn't have a huge budget to spend.  I actually found the bike, took it to Jeff at All Seasons and had him look it over - then I took it back to him to get it professionally fitted.  Best $$ I spent.

If you know what bikes to look for and what frame sizes, then you can take it back and have it tweaked by MSZ.  If you buy it from them you will have that service provided.  There are some good deals at the bike show - but it's always limited stock - you may not find what you're looking for. 

If they do the FIST fitting and you pay for it - then you go to the bike show and don't find anything - will they give you any credit towards buying a bike from them after the bike show? 

Here's the other thing - when I went to buy my road bike this year (I do a fair amount of group rides) I bought locally.  I thought it was important to support my local business.  I could have probably bought a similar bike (or the same one) cheaper online or at the spring bike show - but I really wanted to give my LBS some $$ this time.  They have been really good to me and I appreciate that. 

2012-09-26 6:35 AM

User image

Expert
I would get the fit, see what they have in store, and what kind of deal you could get.  Go to the bike show, see what deal you can get there and then make up your mind.  I think the guys at multisport would help tweak your bike to get it properly fit wherever you buy it (that is, if you are in London and it is convenient to get there).

2012-09-26 6:37 AM
in reply to: #4427874

User image

Expert
RVachon - 2012-09-26 7:08 AM

I would get the fit, look around the T.O. to see if you find something that fits your requirements.  If it doesn't, then go back the MSZ to see what they can do for you.  If they have any kind of integrity, they should still honour the $250 deduction off a new bike even if you don't get it the same day you get the fitting.

The only think I can see happening when they give you your coordinates at the fitting is, they'll suggests only bikes that they can get, which would be kind of lame.

I can guarantee that they don't do this.

2012-09-26 7:24 AM
in reply to: #4427897

User image

Master
Southern Ontario

Daffodil - 2012-09-26 6:35 AM I would get the fit, see what they have in store, and what kind of deal you could get.  Go to the bike show, see what deal you can get there and then make up your mind.  I think the guys at multisport would help tweak your bike to get it properly fit wherever you buy it (that is, if you are in London and it is convenient to get there).

Agreed.

I agree - I doubt this would happen.  I don't deal with them often - and aside from one unpleasant experience they have been very helpful and straightforward. 

2012-09-26 8:46 AM

User image

Expert
Port Colborne, Ontario
Sorry, that's my cynicism.  I'm all about guilty until proven innocent when it comes to retailers.
2012-09-26 8:53 AM

I would suggest getting your bike first.

Step 1: Go here: http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=FIT_CALCULATOR_INTRO

This will help you figure out what bikes will work for you. Then I suggest going to the bike show and working out a deal. All of the big dealers will be there. I would also suggest going with imfit for your bike fit as they have reutal

http://www.imfit.ca/home.html

I should add I'm selling a bike in your price range but I don't know your size.

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-bikes-road-Argon-18-e-80-Aero-Triathlon-Bike-Size-51-W0QQAdIdZ416611930 

Hopefully that helps. I think you'll be able to get some good bikes in that price range, and negotiate as they will always drop their price.

2012-09-26 10:07 AM
in reply to: #4427942

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Silver_wlf - 2012-09-26 8:24 AM

Daffodil - 2012-09-26 6:35 AM I would get the fit, see what they have in store, and what kind of deal you could get.  Go to the bike show, see what deal you can get there and then make up your mind.  I think the guys at multisport would help tweak your bike to get it properly fit wherever you buy it (that is, if you are in London and it is convenient to get there).

Agreed.

I agree - I doubt this would happen.  I don't deal with them often - and aside from one unpleasant experience they have been very helpful and straightforward. 

Except if you see something at the bike show you like - take it right away.  It gets very crowded and the best deals go first.  This is especially true if you're looking for a special size or type of bike where there isn't a lot of stock to begin with ... the very high end bikes won't go as quickly, well, because everyone is looking for a deal

It is a really good idea to know what you are looking for.  Get an idea of the size and types of bikes that would work for you and be ready with your research done.  I got my road bike there (thankfully, with assistance from my now hubby) and we knew the size and then he was looking for a level of componentry that would last for a while. There were only two of the bike i bought on the floor.  I still love and ride that bike

As I mentioned, it gets crazy crowded - so get in line early.

2012-09-26 11:59 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2012-09-26 12:34 PM

Orangeville, ON

Since you'll be doing an IM, I suggest you buy a tri bike. You'll be more comfortable and fast on it and you will run faster off the bike. (IMO)

I bought my first road bike four years ago at the bike show. I got a good deal on a Trek Madone 4.7 (entry level madone). It was more an impulsive buy rather than an educated buy, and I was lucky to get the right size. I didn't know anything about components and geometry at that early point in my tri addiction, and I would not buy that same bike today. Do your homework and know what you really need and want before going to the bike show.

I recently bought my second bike (cervelo P3) from MSZ which I rode at IMMT.  They started by taking measures and looking how I ride, and then suggested four/five different brands/models that would fit me. Some of them were not brands they deal with (like Felt). At the end I chose one that they had in store. The measuring and fitting process was meticulously done, but I wasn't too happy with the assemble of the bike. (lot's of loose bolts). Overall it was a good experience and it worth the 2 hr drive from home.

I hope this helps you in your buying process.

2012-09-26 1:29 PM

Elite
Ontario

Another vote for get fit first, get your coordinates, and then buy a bike.

It sounds like the store you are dealing with should provide good advice.  I would take that advice and head off to the bike show and see what you can find.  I bought my bike for almost 1/2 off MSRP last year.  I got a very non-entry level bike at an entry level price.

2012-09-26 5:44 PM

Calgary, Alberta

This is why I love this site. I have a fitting booked for Saturday. I will sit on the options they give me so I can at least check out the show. See what happens from there.

2012-09-26 6:14 PM
in reply to: #4428092

Expert

RVachon - 2012-09-26 9:46 AM Sorry, that's my cynicism.  I'm all about guilty until proven innocent when it comes to retailers.

I know the guys quite well.  Jeff is probably TOO honest to own a store.  He will tell you flat out "no you don't need this, it is a waste of your money" if I were to spend $200 on something in the store that he thought was unneccessary.

ETA If you feel like they are yanking you around at all, let then know that Laura Jones had high recommendations for them.  Donnie (there main mechanic) is the best roadie mechanic in London and does a great job on my bike. 

Edited by Daffodil 2012-09-26 6:21 PM

2012-09-27 8:34 AM

Toronto-ish

What kind of riding (not racing) do you plan to do most?

If you like group rides (likely the best way to improve, and have fun) some are not tri bike friendly as you need to react to things happening in a hurry and if you're in aero the brakes are just too far away to be sufficiently timely. Two years is a lot of time to benefit from a road bike. Plus, in two years you will know bikes better and therefore be better equipped to get the right one for you.

The fall bike show is a great place to get a deal, but there are things to keep in mind. Do you know bikes well enough to know if you are getting a deal or not? Do you know exactly what you're looking for? Can you purchase without a considerable amount of assistance? The show is hectic, busy, crowded, and full of energy - shops there are interested in moving old stock they don't want sitting around consuming money all winter, and they'll be swamped, likely unable to spend much time with you as they juggle multiple customers simultaneously (been there, done that, loved it). Think of it more like a busy bike flea market than a diamond store where you get to poke around, take your time and get great customer service (just my humble opinion from two visits to this show).

A bike is an investment, so is your relationship with your local store. If you buy locally they will treat you differently, that's my experience. Free tune ups, deals on parts/accessories/clothing and repairs will add up. The bike you buy will need to be tweaked to you in ways you won't be able to get at the bike show. Parts may need to be swapped out (stem, bars, seat post, etc.) and that definitely won't happen at the show, but could with your local bike shop who will have a vested interest in earning and keeping a long-term customer (you don't get that at the bike show as they expect to never see you again and since you are from London they'll likely be right).

Also keep in mind there will be LOTS of road bikes and perhaps only a handful of tri bikes at the show, so your ability to get a deal (on a bike that suits you) will be compromised. So, while you CAN get a good deal at the show the odds of long-term success (fit, comfort, enjoyment) are likely considerably greater with your local bike shop.

Best of luck, and enjoy the ride

2012-09-27 9:31 AM

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
My experience at the bike show is they will do a fit for your after the show - just call and bring it in but the caveat is that the particular shop may not be near you.  I bought my tri bike from Wheels of Bloor at the spring show - luckily I live near the store and going in for a fit is no big deal.
2012-09-28 10:30 AM
in reply to: #4428101

Calgary, Alberta

Thanks,

I did try this site. This popped up for my Tri Bike Measurements:

2012-10-01 7:43 AM
in reply to: #4428101

New user

I second Ian @ IMFIT.  He is stellar when it comes to fitting and getting the most out of your abilities.  I have had both my TT bike and Road Bike fit by him after some other not so memorable experiences with others.  He is non-biased (non retail environment) and will do pre-buy fits (gives you shopping list of geometry specific bikes that would work best for you) and obviously does fits on existing bikes.  We worth the money.  Good coach as well.
2012-10-03 6:04 PM

Expert
Apparently MSZ is going to have a pre bike show sale.  Might be worth checking out.  Who did the fit?  Darryl or Jeff?

2012-10-12 11:46 AM

Veteran
Elmira, ON

Here is a link if you want a 1$ off admission price to the Bike Sale in Toronto tomorrow!

Yes..a whole dolla!

http://us5.campaign-archive2.com/?u=b2da30601ba2ec27ed03b3c5c&id=6466866491&e=5f9ec10071

New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Toronto Bicycle Show Rss Feed