General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Escape from Alcatraz: tri bike or road bike? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-10-03 12:31 PM

Subject: Escape from Alcatraz: tri bike or road bike?
Just got in for Escape this March. Anyone who has done it before: should I use a tri bike or road bike? I've heard a road bike may be better because of the hills you won't be in the aero position long. Also I'm not sure if I want to ship my bike and was thinking of renting a road bike.Thoughts?

2012-10-03 12:55 PM
in reply to: #4438998

Subject: RE: Escape from Alcatraz: tri bike or road bike?
2012-10-03 1:16 PM
in reply to: #4439051

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I can't help except to confuse the matter.

I raced it once with my TT bike, becuase when I race, I use my TT bike.  Period.

HOWEVER, I was on the hoods almost then entire time from the crowd to the hills.  The only time I had an real advantage was the long finishing straight down Marina Blvd.

I'm trying to decide if I'm bringing the road or TT bike as well for this go at it.

2012-10-03 2:47 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

If I had equivalent road and tri bikes (in bike quality) I would pick the road bike hands down.

I may not have a nice road bike by the race so if that's the case I will be riding my tri bike.

2012-10-03 3:30 PM

User image

Regular
Wisconsin
Have not done the race, but I was in San Fran in July tooling around for a week on foot and on bike.  I would definitely vote road bike and your best hill climbing setup.
2012-10-03 4:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi
I never understood the point of bringing a road bike to a time trial over a TT bike.  Wouldn't you always be better off on a TT bike whether you are in your hoods or not?  The aero advantage of the frame is still there regardless of position.

2012-10-03 5:47 PM

User image

Expert
Alexandria, MN

I did the race last year and chose to rent a bike locally instead of bringing my tri bike.  I called and made the rental reservations the day after we got in and was able to rent myself a top of the line Trek Madone road bike and was thrilled with the result.

One reason folks prefer a road bike to a tri bike is handling, as road bikes are just easier to steer and maneuver on a tough course like that.  Any aerodynamic advantage to a tri bike position, even if you're not on the aero bars will be negated when you're sitting on the side of the road full of road rash.

Call and reserve your bike right now if you still want a decent selection!

2012-10-03 6:50 PM

User image

Regular
Parker, Colorado
I did the race for the first time this year on a road bike and thought it was the best choice, mainly because the number of people on the relatively short course mean you're almost always around someone and make it a concern to ride in aero. The course is hilly, but the descents aren't technical at all and the climbs are pretty short, so if it was a straight time trial, I think a TT bike would be a bit faster due to the first two miles near transition, and the stretch through the park, but the crowding makes it not worthwhile. I would go with your plan to rent a good road bike, and be prepared to ride it to and from transition on race day, since the race hotels are a good distance away.
2012-10-03 6:57 PM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga

I did the course on a road bike with shorties (think ITU aerobars).  This is the best thing to do hands down.  You can climb like a beast due to the geometry of the road bike and you can be in aero on the descents and any flats. 

It always amazes me the people that are willing to train and spend all this money and then waste it all away by renting a bike at a location.  Unless it is the EXACT same bike as yours and you bring your own saddle & pedals along with exact measurements to mimic your current set up, why the bother?

2012-10-03 7:21 PM
in reply to: #4439703

Thanks for the reply. I assume you rented it from a Trek store? Do you remember where?
2012-10-03 7:25 PM

What is the swim like? I was there in June, a week before the race and we went out to Alcatraz. It was so windy and the chop was rough.

2012-10-03 7:39 PM

NYC
Used my road bike the last two years and was glad I made that choice.  Last year there was a bit more chop in the water than the previous year but it wasn't anything the average swimmer couldn't handle.  The cold water is a bit of a shock when you first get in. 
2012-10-03 7:46 PM
in reply to: #4439595

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

msteiner - 2012-10-03 4:28 PM I never understood the point of bringing a road bike to a time trial over a TT bike.  Wouldn't you always be better off on a TT bike whether you are in your hoods or not?  The aero advantage of the frame is still there regardless of position.

Aero bikes are aero because of the position YOU can get into...not the bike itself.  Many road bike frames are easily as aero as an aerobike frame...

2012-10-03 9:06 PM
in reply to: #4439793

User image

Expert
Alexandria, MN

csschafer - 2012-10-03 7:21 PM Thanks for the reply. I assume you rented it from a Trek store? Do you remember where?

I rented mine from Bike & Roll San Francisco.  It was a good experience and I was happy overall with my rental.  Pick up can be time consuming, even though they give you a window during which to pick up your rental.

2012-10-04 12:56 AM

New user
Bay Area

Road Bike. I have done this race about 5 times. It is a climbing and bike handling exercise not really a time trial. Add some poor road conditions and you will be MUCH happier on your/a road bike.  Off the top of my head, there is only about  6 miles of flat in the 18 mile out and back course.

Another thing to keep an eye on this year is going to be the weather. The race is really early due to the Americas Cup schedule. It could be wet and cold. 

2012-10-04 7:17 AM
in reply to: #4439767

User image

Master
Marvarnett - 2012-10-03 6:57 PM

I did the course on a road bike with shorties (think ITU aerobars).  This is the best thing to do hands down.  You can climb like a beast due to the geometry of the road bike and you can be in aero on the descents and any flats. 

It always amazes me the people that are willing to train and spend all this money and then waste it all away by renting a bike at a location.  Unless it is the EXACT same bike as yours and you bring your own saddle & pedals along with exact measurements to mimic your current set up, why the bother?

This... I used a road bike and there were portions that I wish I had shorty bars on it.

2012-10-04 7:33 AM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Looking at the course profile and map, I would very likely run my tribike but instead of my normal racing cassette (11-23) I would switch it out for a 12-27. The course doesn't appear to be overly technical and with the appropriate gearing and practice, one can climb as well (or almost as well) on a tribike as they can on a road bike.

Shane
2012-10-04 5:16 PM
in reply to: #4439817

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi
jldicarlo - 2012-10-03 7:46 PM

msteiner - 2012-10-03 4:28 PM I never understood the point of bringing a road bike to a time trial over a TT bike.  Wouldn't you always be better off on a TT bike whether you are in your hoods or not?  The aero advantage of the frame is still there regardless of position.

Aero bikes are aero because of the position YOU can get into...not the bike itself.  Many road bike frames are easily as aero as an aerobike frame...

No they're called TT bikes/Tri bikes because of the position they enable.  They're aero by design.  My SC is more aero than my 1.2 whether I'm on my bullhorns or in my aerobars.  I can put aero-bars on the 1.2, and the SC will still be faster.  It has little to do with position.

2012-10-04 5:36 PM
in reply to: #4441321

User image

Sensei
Sin City
msteiner - 2012-10-04 3:16 PM
jldicarlo - 2012-10-03 7:46 PM

No they're called TT bikes/Tri bikes because of the position they enable.  They're aero by design.  My SC is more aero than my 1.2 whether I'm on my bullhorns or in my aerobars.  I can put aero-bars on the 1.2, and the SC will still be faster.  It has little to do with position.

Can you please clarify?  Because this make ZERO sense to me.

I can agree if you put the bikes alone in a wind tunnel, most TT bikes will be "faster".  Or more earo as a machine.

But "little to do with position"?  I can't disagree more.  If I'm in earo on my middle of the road alluminum Felt road bike, I should be faster than if I was sitting up and on the hoods of my Cervello P3.  It has everything to do with a rider's position and the balance between aero/power.

As for the OP.  I will probably go with my road bike.  From racing there before, I'm assuming the minimal gains I can make riding in earo in the rare instances I can (not in a crowd or climbing or braking after some of the descents) I can more than make up for being quicker on the shifting and braking in the crowds, the slightly more stable ride through the turns and bumps, etc.

If I was out front like the pros and didn't have much in my way, I would use the TT bike.  But in the mob scene of the main field, just my comfort level of being on the road bike with hands close to the shifters and brakes probably makes me just as fast.

2012-10-04 8:23 PM

User image

Veteran

A dedicated Tri Bike fit and a TT fit are actually different. Tri bike fit is about saving gas for the run. TT fit is about maxing out your power in the aero position with no concern for saving gas and you don't do that by resting any of your muscles. Nobody goes for a run after a TT. You might go for a puke and pass out, but not a run.

Unless you are in REALLY relaxed fit (and probably not even then) on your Tri bike there is NO WAY you can put down as much power on a hill climb as you could on a road bike. The rule of thumb I was told about the Tri bike/Road bike comparision was that any time you're in aero on a tri bike you're on a better bike than a road bike, and any time you're on the horns you'd be better off on a road bike.

So if you're feeling that you won't be spending much time in aero, go with a road bike with ITU style clip on aero bars. You'll be able to climb more efficiently and have more gas for the run.

2012-10-05 8:12 AM
in reply to: #4441535

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
MikeK_PA - 2012-10-04 10:23 PM

A dedicated Tri Bike fit and a TT fit are actually different.

Corrrect, but...

Tri bike fit is about saving gas for the run. TT fit is about maxing out your power in the aero position with no concern for saving gas and you don't do that by resting any of your muscles. Nobody goes for a run after a TT. You might go for a puke and pass out, but not a run.

Both fits are putting an athlete in the fastest position they can sustain for the duration of the race; this is obviously different for a tri fit versus TT fit since, as you point out, the TTer doesn't need to run after the bike so they can often a slightly more extreme position. However, the tribike fit is not about saving gas for the run; that is a pacing issue and since a triathlete needs to run off they bike, they can't ride as high a percentage of their FTP for a bike leg as if it was a TT.

Unless you are in REALLY relaxed fit (and probably not even then) on your Tri bike there is NO WAY you can put down as much power on a hill climb as you could on a road bike.

This is incorrect; in aero I lose about 5-10W compared to my road bike but in the basebar, I cannot detect a difference between road and tribike.

The rule of thumb I was told about the Tri bike/Road bike comparision was that any time you're in aero on a tri bike you're on a better bike than a road bike, and any time you're on the horns you'd be better off on a road bike.

Correct, however you need to take the total impact of the event into consideration in order to determine which bike is better suited to a given event. For example, the difference between my road position (hoods) and tri position (aero) is about 7.5s/km (in favour of tribike) but when climbing, the difference between my tri position (basebar) and road position (hoods or tops) is less than 0.5s/km (in favour of the road bike). So, even if I spent 50% of the ride climbing and losing 0.5s/km on my tribike, the net effect will still be a faster bike split on my tribike.

So if you're feeling that you won't be spending much time in aero, go with a road bike with ITU style clip on aero bars.

Agreed; if the course is such that you will spend very little time in the aero position, go with a road bike with clipons. If you are going to be aero at every opportunity, tribike.

You'll be able to climb more efficiently and have more gas for the run.

With proper gearing and a little practice, most athletes can climb almost as efficiently on their tribike as their road bike and having gas for the run is a function of pacing, not position.

Shane

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Escape from Alcatraz: tri bike or road bike? Rss Feed