Twin Cities in Motion
28F / -2C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 45m 18s
Overall Rank = 6541/8780
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 2455/3685
Pre-race routine:

Dad had a booth at the race expo and he asked me to come home for the weekend to work it with him and the rep of the insoles we were making (Alex). FUN! Sign me up! So I worked the early shift at work, drove home and got to the expo on Friday about 4 and worked till 9. Alex and I were talking and he had the idea to run the 10 mile if he could get his hands on an extra bib. Then he said he's take a marathon bib if he could find one of those... Well, I thought that was a super fun/kinda crazy idea and we went on a mission to find 2 marathon bibs. We made some calls and checked craigs list - it was a crazy hunt! Saturday morning the expo opened at 9 and we were there working again and by noon, both of us had found bibs! SCORE! So I bought some tights and a jacket (had indoor running stuff with me, but not cold weather gear) and some gu's and was set! We worked the booth till 7pm, then had to tear it down and bring it back to the shop (so it was a 12 hour work day) and were at home by 9 for dinner (subway) and a glass of wine.
So...I have been on 2 bike rides and have gone for 1 run (and did a sprint tri) since IMWI on Sept 9th. But I figured I would for sure be able to finish this and with everything just falling into place, it worked out so perfectly! I had to stand on concrete for 2 days prior working at our booth, didn't carb load or hydrate, ran in a totally new outfit never tested before, used my mom's sunglasses - what an adventure! I figured: when else in my life is an opportunity like this going to come along at a time when I'm physically trained enough to run a marathon? Probably NEVER! I had to take it! It was very exciting on Saturday and alex and I threw together our last minute plan! I told my parents and like the BEST SUPPORT CREW EVER, they agreed to sherpa/cheer! so last minute! So fun! ha!
Event warmup:

Mom, Dad and I picked alex up at his hotel about 630am and headed over to the Metrodome in Minneapolis arriving just after 7. Dad dropped us off right outside and we went in, found a potty (NO LINE for the famales - huge line for males!) then hung out with mom and dad for a while. Then made our way over to the start coral area.

We both had coral 2 bibs and our plan was to stay bundled up (we brought alex some warm cloths because he didn't have any pre race warm gear) outside the coral until the gun went off, then strip, give our cloths to mom and dad and get into our coral's line at the back. This worked out perfectly! we were warm right up until the start in our down jackets and sweats! (it was below freezing at the start!) We didn't strip or get in line until after the gun went off and didn't get over the starting line till almost 9 min after the gun (and there was still the coral 3 people behind us!)

There was NO warmup/prep and it was so last minute that we were SO laid back and relaxed! Laughing and giggling and joking around at the start. The start/morning plan worked out perfectly and if i ever do this race again, i'll follow the exact same plan!
Run
  • 4h 45m 18s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 10m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

So, all things considered, this was a GREAT day! IMWI was LESS than a month ago! I did this on a WHIM with no official training and was able to run the whole thing (minus the water stops) and totally had a blast...even though it hurt. I'm SO glad I did it and though it was far from my best performance, i'm stoked with how everything turned out! What an adventure!
Here's a breakdown of my times:
5K 31:29
10K 1:05:05
13.1M 2:16:58
30K 3:18:43
35K 3:54:48
24M 4:20:44
-definitely got slower as the day went on, but ah well!

-Alex ran the first 2 miles with me (he's a rock star) and it was slow (for him, good pace for me) and fun chit chatting through downtown minneapolis.
-the first 13 miles or so were PACKED! fun, but lots of weaving.
-Started to feel my legs at mile 5 (uhhh... that's kinda early...)
-I had to go potty again around mile 2 and though I'd make it about an hour before it was a prob and started looking for johns...every one i passed there was a huge line! Around mile 6 there was a couple johns in frond of a forrest and I though screw it - i'm just going to go get in line and wait before it gets uncomfy. Right as i was getting in line, 2 girls came out of the woods (pretty thick, couldn't see into the trees) and I made the split decision to go in there too! when i walked in there, other people were going too, it was funny, cuz you couldn't see it from the road so it was kinda a shock. so i hid behind a tree, did my business quickly and was out of there - crazy.
-i told myself that I'd run till mile 13, then wing it from there. At mile 8 I was already playing games with myself to keep running because i was sore. I was not pushing myself by any means (breathing was under control, I chated with TONS of people all along the whole course), but my legs were definitely holding my back. ouch. i think it was mostly from standing on concrete the 2 days before (and truthfully, prob had a bit to do with not running for 2.5 weeks...)
-i drank at every aid station (~q2-2.5 miles) powerade and water and ate a gu at every other aid station (~q4-4.5 miles). This seemed to work out well. it was super cool out so didn't feel the need to have more than a 1/4 cup ade and a 1/4 -1/2 cup water at every station. This worked out well - no GI issues AT ALL! win!
-after mile 13 i played this game: run to the next mile (ex mile 14). When i'd get there I'd tell myself that the aid station was only 1 more mile away and that I could just run there then walk throug the station. so I did. I was able to keep that up through the end of the marathon, just running 'one more mile' even though it hurt.
-i was warned about the 3 mile long hill on Summit. but when I got there, i was able to run up the whole thing (passed alot of people and encouraged them along the way). it was easy effort-wise to run up them, but painful leg-wise.
-the last 5 miles were brutal, leg-wise. my legs have never hurt so much during a run. it got to the point that I didn't stop at the last 2 aid stations because starting back running was so hard because it hurt so bad. it hurt to run, but hurt worse to 'start running' that i just didn't stop. i was moving slow, but digging deep. and kept reminding myself that this was actually really fun and i was lucky to be out there and that I'd be done soon. it was great mental training and a beautiful day out there.
-the finish is fun. we came over a crest and saw the last 1/4 mile downhill and the finish and the capital - tons of people! Mom and dad were waiting at the end (alex finished about an hour before me). we walked to the car and went home.
-it was AWESOME! I'm SO glad we did it!

Post race
Warm down:

walked to the truck about 3 blocks away. stopped at McDonalds for a cheesburger (gross, but yum!) and napped! Seriously, it was SO FUN!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

legs!!

Last updated: 2012-10-09 12:00 AM
Running
04:45:18 | 26.2 miles | 10m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/3685
Overall: 0/8780
Performance: Below average
Course: Begins in Minneapolis at the Metrodome and runs through the city lakes area, along the mississippi river, through the Summit neighborhood and ends in St paul at the state capital. Billed as the most beautiful urban marathon in the America!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-10-10 4:29 PM

User image

Expert
Western WI
Subject: Medtronic Twin Cities Marathon

2012-10-10 5:03 PM
in reply to: #4448904

User image

Seattle
Subject: RE: Medtronic Twin Cities Marathon

annnnnnd THIS is why I was excited for your RR. They never disappoint! Dude, droppin' trou in the woods is bad azz! Haha!

"So...I have been on 2 bike rides and have gone for 1 run (and did a sprint tri) since IMWI on Sept 9th. But I figured I would for sure be able to finish this and with everything just falling into place, it worked out so perfectly! I had to stand on concrete for 2 days prior working at our booth, didn't carb load or hydrate, ran in a totally new outfit never tested before, used my mom's sunglasses "

This sounds like the perfect race plan Wink + fashion points for mom's sunglasses. The only thing you were missing was a 6 pack of beer the night before. But wine is close.

Anyway, very cool you just jumped in on the opportunity! Nice work!

Edited by Asalzwed 2012-10-10 5:08 PM
2012-10-11 5:55 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
So cool that you took this opportunity. I am impressed by your bad azzness. And your entire outlook was/as perfect. You went with the flow and enjoyed the experience and that is COOL!!!!

Congrats on a great weekend!
2012-10-11 9:44 AM

User image

Master
Central Kansas
Awesome job! I'm so glad you had a great time and had the opportunity to push through the pain and finish strong. You are amazing!!
2012-10-11 10:22 AM
in reply to: #4449739

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
I was thinking you weren't racing when you posted about working at the Expo... and I guess that was the plan.    That's pretty bada$$ to pick up and do a marathon on a whim.  If I ever have enough guts to try one, I hope it's as fast as this!
2012-10-15 3:00 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Wow. Way to rock a last-minute MARATHON!!!!!!! Sounds like a good time and you mentally pushed through the tough parts. Way to GO!!!!!!!!!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Medtronic Twin Cities Marathon Rss Feed