Freedom Board, Inc.
70sF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 24m 41s
Overall Rank = 4/4
Age Group = 50-59
Age Group Rank = 1/1
Pre-race routine:

I woke up before the alarm. Took a shower, made my oatmeal, organized my stuff, made a large coffee, then drove up to Concordia (nearly to Nebraska). I had to stop to get gas on the way.
Event warmup:

Got to the start/finish/aid station about 20 minutes before race time. Registered for the 25k. I had been somewhat on the fence, but I knew I wouldn't have been satisfied doing the 15k.
Run
  • 3h 24m 41s
  • 15.53 miles
  • 13m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

65 when we started; 75 when I ended. Just amazing temperatures for early November. A cold front was on its way, so the wind was fierce. 25-41 mph with gusts.

My strategy was to walk up most of the hills, running whenever I could, heading down the hills as quickly as safe.

I followed that strategy. I was hoping for 12 minute miles, which would have meant faster running down or more running up, but I figured out at the 5k point, when I was sitting at 40 minutes, that I wasn't going to make that. Even running downhill against the wind felt slow. Marching/plodding up the hill against the wind was torture. Truly miserable.

So I decided near the 5k point that this race was not going to be about averaging 12 minute/mile pace. It was going to be mental toughness. Whenever I felt like quitting (and there were plenty of those moments in the first 8k) I told myself, "This is mental. Not physical." Because actually, my body did not feel bad. The wind and hills were just so disheartening.

Just before the 15k point, a mule deer buck ran up along side of me in the field adjacent. He was gorgeous. He ran with me for a few steps and then bolted off. I found myself thinking of persistence hunting and how I needed my clan.

I got to the 15k aid station just a couple minutes slower than I completed the 15k race last year. I decided that was okay. I stopped at my car, dumped off my running cap, which I kept having to chase down in the wind, grabbed a band to tie my hair back and a halo sweat band. The RD refilled my water for me, gave me a little coke to drink. I chatted up some of the 10k/15k racers, and headed back out.

Only 10k to go. The first four miles of which were in heavy cross/head winds. Miles 3/4, against the wind, took me 30 minutes. But I didn't despair (too much). I told myself that I just needed to get to the next cross street, turn right, and I would have the wind at my back and be on miles 14 and 15. "This is mental, not physical."

My butt was really aching at this point. But that was the only thing that I could identify that was really hurting. I allowed myself to run more uphill in this last section, but I wimped out at the final hill, and just walked up to the start/finish/aid station.
What would you do differently?:

Really, not much. I wanted to run more in the first 15k, but I held myself back. I was trying to be conservative. I wanted to finish with a smile on my face. I needed to be able to walk the next day because I'm leaving for a three day business trip. I'm running a 10 mile turkey trot next Saturday.

Hydration and nutrition were perfect, although I haven't figured out the post-race recovery nutrition very well. I was pretty sick last night before dinner. I ended up choking down a pancake and a sausage patty, and felt a little better.

I don't like being last. Everyone left me going down the first hill. So I was last at the beginning, last during, and last at the finish. But it was an extremely small field (only 4 finished the 25k), so I guess that's to be expected. The guy directly in front of me was just a mile ahead of me, so if I had pushed myself more from the beginning, I might have been able to stay with him. But I wasn't willing to even try.
Post race
Warm down:

Sat on a hay bale out of the wind and drank some coke, Gatorade, and finished my almond butter/honey Naan. There was other food there, but I didn't feel like I could stomach it.

Put my compression sleeves on my calves when I got to the car, and headed home. I was very tired after about 50 miles, so I pulled off, and very uncharacteristically, bought a big mac, fries, and a coke. I didn't eat all three bread, so that made it healthier. Right? lol Anyway, that woke me up, and I made it home safely.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

This was my longest distance to date. More training runs at this distance. More hills (but I'd have to drive two hours to find hills like these). More running.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2012-09-04 12:00 AM
Running
03:24:41 | 15.53 miles | 13m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/1
Overall: 4/4
Performance: Average
First 5k 40 minutes 15k 1:56:00 3-4 minutes at the aid station, chatting, refilling water, drinking coke final 10k 1:25
Course: From the race website: THE COURSE DESCRIPTION: LONG HILLS, SHORT HILLS, LARGE HILLS, TALL HILLS. SOME ON GRAVEL, LOTS ON ROCK, WITH A LITTLE BIT OF GRASS IN SPOTS The race bills itself as hilly -- there is one 100m flat section. The rest is either up or down. Always. We do a 10k rural road loop, with a 5k spur to make either 15k, 25k, or 50k.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2012-11-11 10:33 AM

User image

Master
Central Kansas
Subject: One Hill at a Time - 25K

2012-11-11 10:45 AM
in reply to: #4493715

User image

Master
Central Kansas
Subject: RE: One Hill at a Time - 25K

I also want to add that I think more Kansans/Nebraskans should do this race. The RD is a super great guy. His father and a handful of volunteers help put this race on, so it is a very friendly atmosphere. The RDs dad called me by name and gave me a big hug when I finished. It is a tough, tough course, but a lot of fun. This is my second year "running" it, and I will definitely be back. It's worth the drive.

You are on your own a lot, however. There is just the start/finish for the aid station. At about the 5k spot on the 10k loop there is a "water block," where you can refill your own water. So it's not a race to do if you need crowd support.

Although, one farmer in his truck did stop and talk to me for a few seconds. He was encouraging. :-)

2012-11-11 11:12 AM

User image

Master
Orlando
I never enjoy racing in such tough conditions until it's over and then the sense of accomplishment is so much more than if the race had been "easy".  Way to tough it out!
2012-11-11 12:14 PM

User image

Master
Holy cow, Felicia, that course profile looks brutal in good conditions, never mind all that wind!!!  Awesome job on staying mentally tough and being willing to change your plan.  Makes it all the tougher with little support along the way.
2012-11-12 9:18 AM

User image

Pennsylvania
Stick-to-it-tiveness: you got it!!  Excellent job persevering through a tough course and insane winds, both of which made you work harder mentally and physically.  Congrats at conquering a new distance, wow!  Just think how easy the next 25K will be after this challenging race!
2012-11-12 10:26 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Awesome job Felicia. You are one mentally tough lady, that sure sounds like a pretty brutal day.

2012-11-12 11:51 AM

User image

Seattle

Nice execution! I think it's good to play this one a bit conservative since, especially with your next race coming up.

2012-11-13 10:17 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Wow, way to push through the conditions! Nice job on deciding to do the 25k and making it work.

I have the same glute pain issue with longer distances. Glad you pushed through mentally and physically. If I still  lived in Nebraska I'd join you for this one.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » One Hill at a Time - 25K Rss Feed