Callaway Gardens
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 52m 39s
Overall Rank = 56/493
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 6/36
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5:15 AM to get my kids, my sister, and her kids ready to go. My sister doesn't get the concept of "sense of urgency". Got to the race at 6:45 AM. Was stressing out a bit because I wanted to get there as close to gate-opening time because we were told yesterday that they didn't have enough bike racks for all that registered for the race. Luckily, there was still room on the bike racks. Got that setup. I don't have a tri-bag, so I luggged all my stuff in a red bucket. That worked out GREAT...was able to use it as a seat during transitions, and it made my area easy to find. Then got myself over to the swim leg start for the pre-race meeting at 7:45 AM.
Event warmup:

Pretty much nothing. Unless you count the 1/4 mile walk to the start. Got in the water to get my swim cap and goggles on. Swam a few strokes to see what (I thought) it was going to be like swimming in open water.
Swim
  • 10m 40s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m 25s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was NOT prepared for this experience. I've put in TENS OF THOUSANDS of yards at the pool over the last few months. This was my first OWS. I just COULDN'T get free of all the bodies around me. I was pretty much spent after the first 50 to 100 yards...I guess I just didn't let myself relax. Kept trying to pass/get around people and couldn't do it. Do people know if they're doing a frog-kick/breast stroke, it's virtually impossible to get around them. With the water that got in my goggles and the sun, quick/sighting incorporated with breathing did not work. At one point, I got tangled in one of the string bouys. That was a VERY hard 440 yards for me.
What would you do differently?:

Practice in OW. Have some sort of strategy (that works) for maneuvering around others.
Transition 1
  • 02m
Comments:

Not a bad transition. Running to the transition area from the beach was tough...because my body didn't want to move, not because of the path. I decided to go with a tight-fitting Under Armor shirt during the bike and run. Wasn't easy getting that down my wet back.

Have an extra towel available for drying off body/feet. Cleaning off feet with a bottle of water worked fine, but may try a small tub or plate next time. I'm thinking a biking jersey would be easier to put on then the Under Armor shirt...I need to get me one of those.
Bike
  • 23m 35s
  • 8.43 miles
  • 21.45 mile/hr
Comments:

This has progressed into my strong suit. Putting in all the miles I've put in, plus the hilly terrain I train on, made this course extremely EASY. NOBODY passed me on the bike. Me and another guy were passing people left and right (including each other). 18.8 mph has been my fastest training ride average pace. 21+ mph was a pleasent surprise.

Maybe...hold a little back for the run. Watch out better for sharp curves. Got myself off-road at one point. Getting back on the pavement almost caused a spill. That would have been VERY bad...as it was almost at the same spot I wrecked during the Duathlon.
Transition 2
  • 01m 16s
Comments:

The iBungee Laces worked like a charm. Running with my bike, in biking shoes was difficult. The bike entrance and run exit were on opposite ends of the transition area. I started to head out the wrong way. Duh!

Work on the "keep shoes clipped in the pedals" dismount technique. Would probably make running with the bike a little easier.
Run
  • 15m 52s
  • 2 miles
  • 07m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

Did not feel good at all the first mile or so...though my split time was 7:26. Second mile was 8:26, but I started to feel "normal" the last half mile or so. Surprisingly, I only got passed by a couple guys. And managed to pass a couple.

Not sure...I think my body was trying to figure out what this 21+ mph bike pace stuff was all about.
Post race
Warm down:

Walking back to the start area to pick up my BT T-shirt, moccasins, and extra pair of goggles. Took in a fair portion of post-race goodies.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My swim performance. Lack of restful sleep most of this week. To some extent, the wave start.

Event comments:

Last year they had approximately 150 racers at this race. It grew to more than 550 this year, and they weren't quite prepared. The wave start was a last minute change. That made compiling the top-three in each age group results for the awards ceremony time-consuming. They were about 45 minutes later than planned. Of course, the volunteers were AWESOME.

Last updated: 2006-06-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:40 | 440 yards | 02m 25s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/36
Overall: 0/493
Performance: Bad
Suit: Bike Shorts
Course: Robin Lake. Very nice, small lake at Callaway Gardens. I hear they empty the lake out every year and haul in new sand. Buoys were set up along a portion of the shoreline at 6'. Swimmers had to keep the buoys to their right. Pretty much a straight shot to the first buoy, sharp right turn, then slight curve to the ending point.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 02:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:23:35 | 08.43 miles | 21.45 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: None
Course: Bike through beautiful Callaway Gardens...roads, not bike paths. Pretty much one loop instead of two, that I did a few weeks back during the Duathlon.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:16
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:15:52 | 02 miles | 07m 56s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: Around Robin Lake. Paved path just outside the beach for the first mile. Second mile was on a scenic, curvy road.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-06-25 6:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Joplin, MO
Subject: Callaway Gardens Sprint Triathlon

2006-06-25 6:57 PM
in reply to: #465138

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Callaway Gardens Sprint Triathlon

Oh wow! Holy smokes! You KILLED the race! What an awesome first tri! (This was your first one, right?)

Your "bad first OWS" experience was about half the time mine was And the transition exits... didn't you read my first tri report? hehe... j/k.

Great job

2006-06-25 9:54 PM

User image

Master
Canandaigua

Way to go!!! Congratulation.  Yoshi and I sitting reading your report.  You smoked the bike.  OWS is a tough swim and sometimes combat.  Run looking good too. 

You are a triathlete. 

2006-06-25 10:29 PM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA

Totally awesome race! 

OWS is a different animal than the pool (guess you figured that out) - as far as passing breast-strokers, just swing wide around them.  Usually I wait until someone faster comes along and then jump on their feet.  It is pretty much always shoulder to shoulder the first 100 yards.  If you can take it out as a sprint and then relax into it once the melee thins out that works pretty well.

You might want to start closer to the front of your wave as well, it's less crowded, usually.

I'd think about just swimming with the UnderArmour shirt ON if it's tight fitting.  You probably wouldn't notice a whole lot of difference.

That totally smoked for your first tri ever - congrats!

2006-06-26 2:49 PM

User image

Expert
San Diego
Great bike and run! The swim will get easier with time and experience. You set that course on fire your first time!
2006-06-26 10:06 PM

User image

Regular
Draper, Utah

Hey, awesome job on your FIRST triathlon!!  You shouldn't feel bad- the OWS is a bit rough for the first bit... I'll totally agree with you there.  I got hit and kicked sooo many times (and did my fair share of hitting and kicking) in the first 200m of my first OWS race on Saturday, and I think the thing that saved me was somehow escaping the crowd for the remaining 700...  Had I been in the thick of it through the whole mess I'd be singing a different tune.  If you have to, bob your head up and look for a clear spot.  Try to stay where it's clear (although it may be hard if there's alot of people... sounds like your race was quite a bit larger than mine).  I figure it's better to stay on the outside and swim a little long than to have to fight the crowd.  And sighting... well, I can't really give any advice on that- still working on that myself.  I just kept stopping and poking my head up to make sure I wasn't too far off track.  Anyway, I imagine it gets easier to relax in the chaos over time... 

Your bike was awesome on this race!! 21+ mph is impressive!  I managed to surprise myself with a 21+ mph race on Saturday too (for the first time ever)..  Go figure! I was just shooting to break 20...  And you did well on the run considering the wild bike... I think I had the same trouble- my legs didn't know what to do after my bike either-it didn't feel the same as all my other prev. bricks in training.  Looks like you handled it better than I did. 

Get a couple more under your belt and you'll be placing 1st in AG regularly...  Seriously impressive!

2006-06-26 10:15 PM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills

Wow!!! That was fantastic ... swim stunk, but not for a lack of ability.  Bike = rocket!  My goodness, you racked up the rpms there.  The run may not have felt that great, but that's because it's running ...

You worked hard over the months ... and that hard work paid off with an absolutely fantastic showing for your fitst tri.

Well done, triathlete. Well done.

2006-06-30 11:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Seattle

How is it I missed this report earlier this week?  Doh!    You did great.  Your bike leg was AWESOME.... so glad you didn't get a second bout of road rash. 

Congrats on your first tri !!!! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Callaway Gardens Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed