General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Seeking Open Water Swim Advice...A Scary Experience! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-06-25 9:00 PM

User image

In The Adirondacks
Subject: Seeking Open Water Swim Advice...A Scary Experience!
I had the most traumatic open water swim experience during this weekend's Tupper Lake Tinman. Ok...first I'd like to say, I had not even attempted an OWS before this race and boy did I pay for it! I was averaging between 2:05 and 2:10/100 yds in the pool. I had swam 2500 yards on countless occassions and felt good during those workouts, although these workouts were in the pool. So I felt confident when I step into the lake before the horn went off that I could swim the 1.2 mile course with no problem. However, within 10 minutes, all hell broke loose!

The day before the race, the seal on my swim googles appeared to wear...they weren't holding the suction very well. So I bought new goggles. I was advised to buy the larger goggles because the smaller goggles tended to get knocked off easier when you get bumped around during the swim. So I bought the larger goggles. Well...for some reason my larger googles were not holding the suction either and water kept coming in. This started to happen 500 yards into the swim and continued throughout. I could not see where I was going so I would find myself off course each time I started to swim after adjusting my goggles. I was treading water frequently and started to fatigue, but I refused to quit.

I was exhausted and still had 1600 or so yards to swim. I kept trying to find the feet of other competitors to follow, but because I was getting tired from treading water and swimming further than necessary (because I kept swimming off course), I couldn't keep up. The water was very murky so I couldn't see a mere 2 feet in front of me, especially when my goggles were filling up with water. I was getting more tired as the swim went on.

When I finally made the turn to complete the final leg of the swim course the sun hit me directly in the face. I was now being pulled under, punched, and kicked and still swimming off course. I was swallowing a lot of water and now after I would paddle a few strokes and come up to sight where I was, I was so disoriented I didn't know which was I was swimming. What an enormously scary feeling. I kept swimming, only after I made sense of where I was by the direction the other swimmers were going. I would swim a couple more strokes and sight. I repeated this until I finally made it to shore. I was completely exhausted. My family and friends were calling my name and cheering me on and then it went completely silent. Even the other fans cheering on their loved ones stopped cheering. I could hear them, I just could respond. I stood there on the beach and didn't move. All eyes were on me and from the report of my family and friends concern came over everyone's face. They didn't know if I was ok. I didn't know if I was ok. If I had moved I would have falling on my face. I finally took steps toward my transition area. Once getting there I stood still until my head stopped spinning and I gained my bearings. This wasn't a good start to my first tri...ever.

I managed to go on and finish in a humbling 6:42. My goal was to finish in 6:30 or better. My devestating swim certainly made this difficult. I am very proud that I finished. However, I do not want to experience this type of swim performance ever again! I am racing in the Lake George Triathlon on September 3rd. It's an Olympic distant race and I have downloaded the 8-week Olympic plan to begin as soon as I can. I believe I'm to rest for atleast one week after Tupper Lake and then I can begin training again. I will be doing Tupper Lake next year, but I assure you that I will be more prepared for that race than I was this weekend.

I need as much guidance as I can get. The plan that I have imported (mentioned above) does not have OWS as part of the program. What advice could you provide to help me with my OWS technique? Can I implement some OWS in this program? I have plenty of local lakes here in the Adirondacks to practice.

I sincerely and thoroughly enjoy BT. I have learned so much about training and race prep over the short time I have been a member here. I am looking to pursue more races in the future and look forward to learn as much as possible about becoming a more fit and efficient triathlete. Thanks!

2006-06-25 9:28 PM
in reply to: #465261

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
Subject: RE: Seeking Open Water Swim Advice...A Scary Experience!
Congratulations for finishing! Very sorry to hear about your swim experience though. It does sound that it wasn't the OWS that was the problem though, more the goggles - so sounds like you would be fine in another OWS.

Good for you for getting right back into planning for the next one.

Jackie
2006-06-25 9:28 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
First off, great job on finishing, when everything went to hell in a hand basket! You did a great job to make it out of the water and not quitting!

Now, it sounds like your problems are easily fixed:

1) Don't wear new goggles to your next tri. Make sure you are able to test your gear before you get in the water.

2) Just get out there in the lake and start swimming. Replace some of your pool time with OWS time. If you know you swim around a 2 minutes for each 100 yards... then time your OWS swimming to meet your distance needs.

You have the swimming down, now you just need some time in the OW. It's a challenge swimming in the OW and you took on a long distance for your first try!

2006-06-25 9:39 PM

Santa Cruz, Ca
First of all congratulations on finishing the race. It would have been easy to just have thrown in the towel after the swim but you stuck with it! Good Job! The dizzy feeling you had coming out of the water is pretty normal for most people when they are done. You've gone from a horizontal position to now standing upright. It's kind of like standing up too fast. I would say this was made worse due to your leaking goggles making you disorientated for most of your swim. You definately want to get in as many of the lakes by you as possible to practrice the OWS. Swimming in a pool is completely different, you can see, there's no waves and there aren't hundreds of people knocking you around. So first thing you need to do is find a pair of goggles that fit you right. Not easy while standing in the store. The way to tell if they will fit right is to press them onto your eyes without the strap over your head. If the goggles suction to your face and stay on for a few seconds they should work in the water. Keep doing your pool workouts to build strength and speed but get in the open water at least once a week so you will become more comfortable in that environment.
2006-06-25 9:44 PM

User image

Master
Harvard, Illinois
 I would incoporate more swims into your training. If you can find a boater or someone on the lake moving that would be great. While your swimming lift your head up maybe every 10-20 seconds and try to site where they are. That way you get use to lifting your head up and having to look around. Don't always swim in the open water on days when the water is still. If it gets choppy that is great so you can experience the swells and how to overcome them.
2006-06-25 9:47 PM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
It sounds like your biggest problem was the goggles you used during your swim.  Whenever you buy new goggles, try them out at the store first.  You want to make sure that they form a seal without using the straps.  If they do this, they are the right size and shouldn't leak during your swim.  There's no reason to use large goggles if they aren't the right size for your face.  Poorly fitting goggles will be more likely to leak than correctly fitting ones.

2006-06-25 10:15 PM

User image

In The Adirondacks
Thanks for the congrats! I too believe the goggles were a major problem. I'll be looking for a new pair before I swim again, but I will make sure they fit properly before my next OWS. Thanks for the support!
2006-06-25 11:29 PM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA

Also, the water is usually murky in OW.  Something else to get used to.  There is no lane line to follow - which means it's very easy to get off course.  Something to practice swimming straight in the pool is to close your eyes and swim.  When you open your eyes are you still on target?

I agree that most of your problems were the goggles, but if you tend to pull to one side or the other, that will make the experience worse.

2006-06-26 7:20 AM

User image

Master
The previous posts are right on. You need to know that OWS freak outs are VERY common and you have plenty of company. In addition to using tested equipment and ow practice, it's also good to get into the water and swim a bit the morning of the race. Knowing what to expect with the water temperature and murkiness will put your mind at ease. Your first experience will provide motivation and perspective to make future swims go much better. If you only missed your goal by 12 minutes after that experience, you'll do great in the future.
2006-06-27 10:03 AM

User image

Veteran
McKinney, TX

I have absolutely NO Advice for this topic....

I just wanted to say Congrats and Major Kudos to you for Finishing!!!

2006-06-27 11:06 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
I've only done one open water race, last weekend. I found that switching to the breast stroke was the most helpful and most important thing I did by far.

By switching to a stroke where your head literally comes up out of the water and you can SEE where you are going at every stroke - that alleviates the problem of veering off course. Every time I switched to freestyle for more than 3 strokes I ended up going too far right or left because my head was down.

I'd incorporate the breast stroke into your training so you can use it in your next race with confidence.

2006-06-27 11:14 AM

User image

In The Adirondacks
I did resort to the breast stroke to get back on course. This was very helpful. I believe if I had gone out for a warm up swim the morning of or before the race, I would have been more aware of the murkiness and I would have known about my goggles ahead of time. Important lessons learned!
2006-06-27 11:18 AM

User image

Congratulations!!!

Let me ask you, what do you think you would do differently if you knew 6 weeks ago what you know now?

2006-06-27 11:38 AM

User image

Elite
Texas

Check my race reports from Cactus Challenge in April :

500 yard OW swim at 2:55 per 100 yards,

and Sunday at BSLT IM 70.3 :

2112 yard OW swim at 1:36 per 100 yards

Both swims were in the wetsuit. Look over my log and see what I did. I wrote quite a bit about my crappy swimming, and I did a lot of training to get better.  OW practice is essential. Not for the fitness or techniques as much as for the mental edge you will gain. The techniques are important, but I didn't really have any trouble picking them up once I got over my fear of the OW. Good luck. It CAN be done. PM me if you have any specific questions.

2006-06-27 1:29 PM

User image

Expert
Manchester, NH
Hey,Congrats on getting through it!You need to spend more time on this site! It's been stated many times here, but I'll say it again. "Never do anything new on race day!" That includes new goggles as well as your first OWS!! Not to even mention your first Tri is a HIM? Yikes!As far as the dissorientation out of the water, I too, don't know which way is up after getting out of the water. I would imagine that it was especially tough after 1.2 miles of sucking down lake water and getting bumped around. With your determination you'll do well in triathlon, methinks!
2006-06-27 1:41 PM

User image

Master
South Florida

for one...a HIM for your first???  WOW.  impressive!  our master's group did an OWS clinic recently...one thing I learned to do-which now seems obvious but I never did-was to walk to the water's edge and turn around away from the course, or better yet get IN the water, and look at your surroundings.  Most of us see the course from the land, but it's a whole lot different when you're in the water.   Look and see what landmarks there are and where they fall in your race.   I also use breast stroke for some active recovery and sighting in races...just a few strokes every 10 min or so, or as needed.  Great job on finishing your first tri and HIM!

2006-06-27 1:47 PM

User image

Giver

Ahhh...you violated the Prime Directive, the A-#1 rule of racing: NOTHING NEW ON RACE DAY!

Live and learn.  

2006-06-27 1:47 PM

User image

Giver
DP

Edited by run4yrlif 2006-06-27 1:48 PM
2006-06-27 2:37 PM

User image

In The Adirondacks
I did read not to try anything new during a race, including nutrition or equipment. I did not, however, anticipate the consequence of neglecting this rule. I learned the hard way, but now it is engrained! I love the idea of looking back towards land from the water to pick out a landmark.

Yes...that was a common response from many people when I expressed I was doing a HIM for my first tri..."You're crazy!" or "Did any one of your friends or family members try to talk you out of it?" Yes, it is crazy, but it is the challenge of the triathlon that drew me to the sport. Although the swim was nerve-wrenching, I loved that it was up to me, solely, to pull myself together and finish. If I had known I was going to experience what I had during this HIM 6 weeks or 6 months ago, I would have still participated. I learned a lot about myself during the training and actual HIM event.

Thanks for all of your congrats and insight. I welcome it all and hope to give back to others in the same way I have been supported here at BT!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Seeking Open Water Swim Advice...A Scary Experience! Rss Feed