USA Triathlon
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 57m 42s
Overall Rank = 172/532
Age Group = f30-34
Age Group Rank = 5/52
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 3:10 AM - YIKES!!! Then drove up to Loveland while eating a double PBJ on Wheat and drinking diet coke and Heed (first the diet coke then the heed, not together...) Got set up EARLY with THE best trans spot :)
Event warmup:

Jogged a mile or so with Stacey and Shannon. A little stretching. Didn't really have time to get in the water as we were the FIRST wave!
Swim
  • 25m 46s
  • 1500 yards
  • 01m 43s / 100 yards
Comments:

I actually drafted for quite a while on this one!! I also could have had a better water exit. I erroneously thought that the left side would be deeper allowing me to swim longer, but low and behold the right side (closer to the shore...) had a channel and I had to slog through the muck... I felt like I was just swimming steady concentrating on form. I never really felt like I was pushing too hard - which was part of my goal!
What would you do differently?:

check out the exit first.
Transition 1
  • 01m 26s
Comments:

Mounting the bike went more smoothly, but I definately cost a little bit of time putting the socks on. And had to stop to get my helmet clipped.

Get my helmet on sooner... No socks, but I my feet are a MESS right now and this wasn't an a race, so I didn't much care about losing time there. Incedentally, it was about the same as last week, so that means improvement since I didn't do the socks last week :)
Bike
  • 1h 42m 12s
  • 31.8 miles
  • 18.67 mile/hr
Comments:

I thought I was riding pretty strong, but I obviously needed to pushh harder. My legs were slightly fatigued at the start from the track workout and the ride earlier in the week, but I still have some work to do on the bike. My goal was to push this as hard as possible with no regard for running later. I thought I was doing well until the last 5 miles or so. I got really uncomfortable in my saddle and my hip was bugging me. The guy I had been trading places with all race lost me and I just felt out of whack.

Get new aerobars, and get my bike fit better for the aero's. I got a good fit before I put them on, so it fits great for riding without them, but this is the longest ride I've ever done in them and I felt it for sure.
Transition 2
  • 00m 34s
Comments:

Fastest yet! The transition spot helped, but this also included downing a little water.

Nothing :)
Run
  • 47m 43s
  • 6 miles
  • 07m 57s  min/mile
Comments:

Steadiest pace I've ever held!! I had a 8:10 first mile - my HIP and groin were really bugging me that first half mile - I thought I had strained something, but then I fell into a 7:55 pace. Fell off a little around mile 4.5 but brought it back for a good finish!

NOTHING!
Post race
Warm down:

walk around and stretch before PIGGING out at the burrito buffet :) Shannon, Stacey and Lilia can testify as to the piggish quantity of food I consumed!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

saddle time...

Event comments:

Loved the post race food - the fruit bars and burritos hit the spot!!

Last updated: 2006-06-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:25:46 | 1500 yards | 01m 43s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/52
Overall: 73/532
Performance: Average
This included the 400 yd trek up to the transition area and the sloggy 50 yd run through the knee deep water in MUCK. That being said, I think the swim was short. But I made my swim goal!
Suit: sleveless super
Course: rectangle then up the cannal. Pretty easy to sight, but sun was in the eyes on the right side breathing on the last leg, which was the easiest side to sight on, so that was a little annoying.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:26
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:42:12 | 31.8 miles | 18.67 mile/hr
Age Group: 14/52
Overall: 282/532
Performance:
So my goal was 20 mph. This was again where I fell apart!
Wind: Little
Course: Out some country roads, up to Horsetooth and over a few decent little climbs. One longer sustained climb (not too steep) and then a steeper, shorter climb. then down and back up some false flats, onto some city streets. The last 6 miles or so was flat against the wind.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:34
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:47:43 | 06 miles | 07m 57s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/52
Overall: 166/532
Performance: Good
Ok, so I have to admit - NO one else thought this course was short, but I checked the gps when I got home and it was 6 miles on the nose - not 6.2 I'm still thrilled with the time because I would have been sub 50 minutes and I held 8 min miles the whole way!!!!
Course: kind of out and back... The back was longer than the out though because of where the finish was. You basically went out the grass, down a hill, and onto the sidewalk/ pavement. Turnaround, and then at the end of the back, you did a little loop around this park.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-06-26 9:30 AM

User image

Master
Colorado
Subject: Loveland Lake to Lake

2006-06-26 9:36 AM
in reply to: #465638

User image

Expert
Conifer, Colorado
Subject: RE: Loveland Lake to Lake
Great ride... really impressive in all areas! Wow..
2006-06-26 10:29 AM

User image

Expert
Denver
Nice race and good job on holding a sub-8 run pace over the longer distance! Apparently all that run training's paying off. Or maybe it was just because you were starving and wanted to get to the burrito eating contest faster?
2006-06-26 10:40 AM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Good work and great run. Thanks for confirming what I thought about the run. I had no way to verify it.
2006-06-26 11:11 AM

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO
Good race, especially on very little (or no) taper last week.  If that bike speed comes up even a little you're on the podium.  Nice work.
2006-06-26 11:16 AM

User image

Expert
Littleton, CO
Wow,  not an A race for you, but an A race performance!  Really well done

2006-06-26 11:45 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
Nice race girl!  You were cooking by the looks of the results.  5th in your agegroup!  Nice work.
2006-06-26 2:12 PM
in reply to: #465910

User image

Expert

Good grief, that's an impressive run pace on an Olympic course.  Your entire race looks great, but the run - OMG - the run!!!

It would suffice to say that I'm impressed

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Loveland Lake to Lake Rss Feed