BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Swbkrun mentor group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 67

2012-12-22 9:44 AM
in reply to: #4544969

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Subject: RE: Swbkrun mentor group - OPEN

Yep, we really did get 21 inches of snow.  The communities had a very hard time figuring out what to do with it all.  The roads are like driving in a third world country (or so I imagine), very bumpy from the ice patches and crust left on the side roads.  Funny story, a dump truck was out doing snow removal on a County Hwy and came across a drift taller than his truck.  Now that's a big drift!

We're off to the Packer game in the morning.  With 11F temperatures it should be interesting!

2012-12-22 9:44 AM
in reply to: #4543742

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada

Canada is going to be well represented here!!!

here's my current weather. Going to run 10k right now... for you Suz, in F degrees.

Calgary, AB

Current Weather 8:05MST

Overcast

°F

Overcast

ITS COLD!!!!
2012-12-22 9:48 AM
in reply to: #4544965

User image

Champion
mighty mom - 2012-12-22 6:21 AM

Name: Christina

STORY:  I am 39 and live in the burbs of Boston.  I was active my entire life (mostly skiing, cycling, and soccer) up til I got married, moved to the burbs and had kids. After four years of putting on the pounds, I got fed up and set myself 2 goals for 2010; run a 1/2 marathon and do a sprint tri.  Since I've done two 1/2 IM (Timberman '11 and Patriot '12) and IMWI '12 (well, sort of).  I'm not fast but I love training and competing against myself.

Family Status: Separated with 2 fabulous kids; 1 boy (Nicholas, 6.5 yo) and 1 girl (Alexa, 4.5 yo).  No pets.

2013 Races:  sprint tri in May and undecided on anything else. 

What I need to work on: I've recently taken on a new role as a full time single mom while working full time so its been tough sticking to a regular training schedule.  I feel I need to get into a good groove before commiting to any new races.

What I bring to the MG:  Not much if anything. I am still building experience in triathlons, so I take more than I give.  I do have background in many sports so I do try to speak up when I can offer perspective.

Weightloss: Since beginning this journey in 2010 I've lost 40 lbs.  Looking to rid myself of another 10-15.

Welcome newbies!

Uhm, Christina didn't sort of do IM WI.  She perserved through some very bad stomach stuff to get to that finish line!  Here is a picture of the two of us waiting for the start....

A

2012-12-22 10:31 AM

Coeur d' Alene, and AK
It looks like there are plenty of cold WX folks training, that's good news!  It's currently 0 F here in Anchorage today.  Heading to ice covered Juneau for  a few days.  The high is 12 today and I will get a chance to try out the new studs in the running shoes!
2012-12-22 11:28 AM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.

WELCOME TO THE CREW EVERYONE!! I love hearing the stories of how it all started....

Brian- Welcome fellow Northwesterner'r'r'r.  I know that there are couple people in the group that have raced Vineman before and you will get to meet them this year (we like pictures!) however I am not sure they have done the full like you!  AWESOME!

Jon- I love it your very 1st post on BT and we were lucky enough to have it be on SWBKRUN!  You are going have great time hear, and I think there are some people here that experience the cold like you (maybe not as bad, dang!!).

Jeremy- You have found the motivation to get back in shape!  Congrats.  What I love is that you have realized what your weakness is.  Now allow us to help you through that... It is going to take patience and some trial and error (bike fit, saddle, nutrition, building muscles, etc...)

Drew- you have some awesome experience's already and you have found motivation in the best way.  It's funny when you go to Ironman Hawaii and watch these people.  It brings out a whole new drive in you.  I remember I was running with RP (B.I.L- on here as well) and we were on Ali'i Drive and Dave Scott had managed to pass us 3 times and we were running at an ok clip.  But after that I was motivated to run faster...

This is going to be a great group.... **** Note **** We all like to look at workout logs, and motivate others.... (And call you out if you aren't working out!)...... Please do as I say not as I do... I don't log on here, but have vowed to start at the 1st of the year.  I log my workouts elsewhere.

2012-12-22 11:36 AM

User image

Champion
marietta

2012-12-22 12:04 PM
in reply to: #4545175

User image

Welcome to the new peeps!

Finally found my bio on page 11 (shame) of the last MG thread. Here's the updated version:

Name: gotta run/Julia

Background: I grew up swimming through high school, took up mountain biking in college, and then started running in graduate school. I did a few running races here and there, but mostly just ran for fitness until I started entering races a few years ago. I got injured training for a marathon in 2009, so I got back in the pool for the first time in nearly 20 years, found I liked it, and tried a triathlon. I was hooked by the time I got to the run in my first sprint. Since then I've done lots of sprints and Olys, a couple of HIMs, and a bunch of running races.

Family Status: Married for 13 years, 2 kids (9 and 7), one fabulous dog, and one little round kitty.

2012 Races: a local sprint, REV3 Portland (olympic), RnR Seattle, and a bunch of trail runs, including my first 50k.

2013 Races:  I have a night trail race coming up in January (with jfought), Boston in April, and US Masters Swimming Nationals in May. I'm still figuring out which triathlons to do. My goal for 2013 is to get faster at the olympic distance and have fun at some trail races.

What I bring to the MG:  I’m pretty quiet, but I try to help when I can. I'm the last person to ask about anything bike related, but I've been swimming and running for a long time.

2012-12-22 12:29 PM

User image

Champion
marietta

Oh. For the new folks.

http://www.beerforboobs.org/

http://beerbaconboobs.com/

Just want you to feel welcome!

2012-12-22 12:33 PM

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California

Here goes...

Name:  Linda - at 49, a stay-at-home mom and one of the more elder members of this group!

Background: Did this all in reverse order.  After a doctor told my that my RA wasn't gonna get any better, I should focus on maintaining the status quo with  meds, I decided to take a different approach.  I signed up to do IMMOO in September of 2008.  Started running the next day.  Cleaned up an old bike and started cycling a few weeks later.  Ran my first race, Rock & Roll half in 10/08.  Did my first mary 4/09.  My first tri was the Wildflower Long Course in 5/09, and I raced IMMOO in September of 2009!  Did a few more tris and runs in between, including Boston, and raced IMCdA in June of 2010 (with Kyla!!) Next IM stops was IMAZ last November.  Took 2012 off in terms of Iron-distance, but did do Boston again.  Raced up at REV3 Portland with Kyla and Julia-fun times!! Struggled with injuries this year, including a torn soleus at Boston, but I'll be back!!!  Have been lucky enough to meet, train, race and socialize with Kim, Kyla, Julia, Trevor, Christina - and can't wait to add more MG peeps to that list!!

Family Status:
Married to Jeff (4-time Ironman) for almost 27 years, have 3 kids (23, daughter, graduates with her Master's NEXT MONTH!!, Son, 19, college sophomore, Son, 17, HS sophomore) and one very fat dog (boxer).  Youngest son, Zach, also races - beat  his dad this year at the HIM and Oly distances, and at the 10K and HM distance.  Fun to watch. 

Weather:  Normally sunny northern California - lucky to to not even own a trainer!!  However, it's raining pretty hard right now, and only about 45 outside, so I'm just going to wrap Christmas presents!!   

Edited by velcromom 2012-12-22 12:33 PM
2012-12-22 12:36 PM

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California

I'm also very challenged when it comes to posting - texts and photos - and that's why for some reason the second half of my Bio isn't there.  Hmmph.

2013 RACES:  Currently planning on the HITS Napa Oly in April, Vineman HIM in July, and the 'A' race is Ironman Lake Tahoe in September

2012-12-22 12:46 PM
in reply to: #4545168

User image

Champion
swbkrun - 2012-12-22 11:28 AM

WELCOME TO THE CREW EVERYONE!! I love hearing the stories of how it all started....

Brian- Welcome fellow Northwesterner'r'r'r.  I know that there are couple people in the group that have raced Vineman before and you will get to meet them this year (we like pictures!) however I am not sure they have done the full like you!  AWESOME!

Jon- I love it your very 1st post on BT and we were lucky enough to have it be on SWBKRUN!  You are going have great time hear, and I think there are some people here that experience the cold like you (maybe not as bad, dang!!).

Jeremy- You have found the motivation to get back in shape!  Congrats.  What I love is that you have realized what your weakness is.  Now allow us to help you through that... It is going to take patience and some trial and error (bike fit, saddle, nutrition, building muscles, etc...)

Drew- you have some awesome experience's already and you have found motivation in the best way.  It's funny when you go to Ironman Hawaii and watch these people.  It brings out a whole new drive in you.  I remember I was running with RP (B.I.L- on here as well) and we were on Ali'i Drive and Dave Scott had managed to pass us 3 times and we were running at an ok clip.  But after that I was motivated to run faster...

This is going to be a great group.... **** Note **** We all like to look at workout logs, and motivate others.... (And call you out if you aren't working out!)...... Please do as I say not as I do... I don't log on here, but have vowed to start at the 1st of the year.  I log my workouts elsewhere.

How did I miss Jeremy?  Welcome!!!!

And Birdy, I get a $1 for everyday you DON'T log your workout on BT.  I also use TP, but still manage to slip something in here.  Same rant to Fatty who can look for pictures to denigrate Canadians, but can't log his workouts....or maybe he just isn't working out?

2012-12-22 12:47 PM
in reply to: #4545224

User image

Champion
velcromom - 2012-12-22 12:36 PM

I'm also very challenged when it comes to posting - texts and photos - and that's why for some reason the second half of my Bio isn't there.  Hmmph.

2013 RACES:  Currently planning on the HITS Napa Oly in April, Vineman HIM in July, and the 'A' race is Ironman Lake Tahoe in September

HITS Napa, what a great idea! Surprised  What about Oakland????

Edited by SSMinnow 2012-12-22 12:47 PM
2012-12-22 1:30 PM
in reply to: #4545097

User image

Expert
metro west, MA
SSMinnow - 2012-12-22 10:48 AM
mighty mom - 2012-12-22 6:21 AM

Name: Christina

STORY:  I am 39 and live in the burbs of Boston.  I was active my entire life (mostly skiing, cycling, and soccer) up til I got married, moved to the burbs and had kids. After four years of putting on the pounds, I got fed up and set myself 2 goals for 2010; run a 1/2 marathon and do a sprint tri.  Since I've done two 1/2 IM (Timberman '11 and Patriot '12) and IMWI '12 (well, sort of).  I'm not fast but I love training and competing against myself.

Family Status: Separated with 2 fabulous kids; 1 boy (Nicholas, 6.5 yo) and 1 girl (Alexa, 4.5 yo).  No pets.

2013 Races:  sprint tri in May and undecided on anything else. 

What I need to work on: I've recently taken on a new role as a full time single mom while working full time so its been tough sticking to a regular training schedule.  I feel I need to get into a good groove before commiting to any new races.

What I bring to the MG:  Not much if anything. I am still building experience in triathlons, so I take more than I give.  I do have background in many sports so I do try to speak up when I can offer perspective.

Weightloss: Since beginning this journey in 2010 I've lost 40 lbs.  Looking to rid myself of another 10-15.

Welcome newbies!

Uhm, Christina didn't sort of do IM WI.  She perserved through some very bad stomach stuff to get to that finish line!  Here is a picture of the two of us waiting for the start....

A

Ha!  Talk about lokoing scared out of my mind!  I much prefer this pic...

At least I'm smiling.

Edited by mighty mom 2012-12-22 1:31 PM
2012-12-22 1:33 PM
in reply to: #4545220

User image

Master
velcromom - 2012-12-22 10:33 AM

Here goes...

Name:  Linda - at 49, a stay-at-home mom and one of the more elder members of this group!

Background: Did this all in reverse order.  After a doctor told my that my RA wasn't gonna get any better, I should focus on maintaining the status quo with  meds, I decided to take a different approach.  I signed up to do IMMOO in September of 2008.  Started running the next day.  Cleaned up an old bike and started cycling a few weeks later.  Ran my first race, Rock & Roll half in 10/08.  Did my first mary 4/09.  My first tri was the Wildflower Long Course in 5/09, and I raced IMMOO in September of 2009!  Did a few more tris and runs in between, including Boston, and raced IMCdA in June of 2010 (with Kyla!!) Next IM stops was IMAZ last November.  Took 2012 off in terms of Iron-distance, but did do Boston again.  Raced up at REV3 Portland with Kyla and Julia-fun times!! Struggled with injuries this year, including a torn soleus at Boston, but I'll be back!!!  Have been lucky enough to meet, train, race and socialize with Kim, Kyla, Julia, Trevor, Christina - and can't wait to add more MG peeps to that list!!

Family Status:
Married to Jeff (4-time Ironman) for almost 27 years, have 3 kids (23, daughter, graduates with her Master's NEXT MONTH!!, Son, 19, college sophomore, Son, 17, HS sophomore) and one very fat dog (boxer).  Youngest son, Zach, also races - beat  his dad this year at the HIM and Oly distances, and at the 10K and HM distance.  Fun to watch. 

Weather:  Normally sunny northern California - lucky to to not even own a trainer!!  However, it's raining pretty hard right now, and only about 45 outside, so I'm just going to wrap Christmas presents!!   

Wow. I seem to remember a run in Seattle with, um, ahem, our esteemed leader Steve... He didn't even warrant a mention?? Shame...

XOXOXO. You know I love you, Mama!!!!

2012-12-22 1:45 PM
in reply to: #4545168

User image

Master

Welcome to the new peeps, and always love to see the old, er, experienced...

Here's my story:

Name: kkcbelle/Kyla

Location:  Washington (close enough to Steve to run/train with him a few times a month)

Background: Swam competitively from age 6 through college. Ran here and there. First marathon in 1998 (Napa) pre-kids. Grew up in the Bay Area, so have a soft spot for those peeps!! Lived in WA 8 years and one day. Joined a Y, did a spin class, met a girl who did triathlons, said, "I've always wanted to do that." Took a class, bought a bike, bought a wetsuit, entered races, bought another bike, entered more races. I've done a bunch of sprints, one Oly, two halves (Victoria and Rev3 Portland), and two fulls (Coeur d'Alene 2010 and 2011). Run a bunch of half marathons, do marathons here and there. Love to swim but love the simplicity of running the best. Biking is fun on sunny days with friends, hard work otherwise. I'm a stay-at-home mom who is busy -- not much time for bon-bons and pillow fights, sadly.

Family Status: Married for 15 years, 2 kids (12 and 10), awesome dog Trip (Flat-Coated Retriever, trail-runner extraordinaire), fluffy cat Lupine (Ragdoll).

2012 Races: a local sprint, REV3 Portland HIM, two half marathons, a 10K with my 10-year-old daughter, 20-mile trail race, maybe some others?

2013 Races:  This year I want to run. Doing the Vancouver Marathon in May. We'll see what else comes my way.

What I bring to the MG:  I'm a slacker at heart, but truthfully I'm a little OCD. Always trying to find/keep/maintain balance and train just for fun. I've gotten MUCH better over the past couple of years just doing what I want (thanks in large part to peeps here!), not what a plan says. I try to train with friends when I can. At 45, I'm fighting the mental age battle -- my goal for 2013 is to PR in a 5K, 10K, half, and full marathon... to prove this old lady's still got it. I know how to swim, and I have some racing experience, both good and bad, to share. My glass is usually half full, and I like to share my water with others.

2012-12-22 2:14 PM

User image

Champion

Well Kyla if we're bragging about who we've met, I can say Fatty, Trevor, Julia, Tracy, Christina, Sam, Tony, Justin and Twin, better known as Kim to the new folks.  Some of these guys have yet to check in with family obligations/Holidays, but I am sure they will show eventually!

Now if I could only meet the rest of the group my year would be complete!

P.S.  Kyla, didn't you spend '12 running?  Your bike misses you.

2012-12-22 2:30 PM
in reply to: #4545264

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
kkcbelle - 2012-12-22 11:33 AM
velcromom - 2012-12-22 10:33 AM

Here goes...

Family Status:

Wow. I seem to remember a run in Seattle with, um, ahem, our esteemed leader Steve... He didn't even warrant a mention?? Shame...

XOXOXO. You know I love you, Mama!!!!

You guys were faster than me... So she didn't see me much!!!
2012-12-22 2:34 PM

User image

Expert
Noosa

Hi everyone,just checking in from the UK. Got back in from Spain last night after a fun week.The highlight (or low depending on how you feel about suffering) was a 14km climb called "the Beast". I would describe it as pure survival but I suppose some people would love it. I just about managed to appreciate the amazing views but I couldn't have climbed another km, I was totally spent!

Tonight I went for a run with my sister-in-law and her new boyfriend, turns out he's a marine but we managed to have a fun run with him. He wants me to join him at the gym at the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst next week (where Prince William and Harry trained for all you ladies...!) next week, might be good.Last time I went there was for a wedding so I didn't get to do much.

Anyway, I'd love to stay with this MG, I'll post a bio when I get on a laptop, this IPad drives me a bit crazy. Merry Christmas everyone!

PS Sorry about your loss Kim, I'm glad you were able to have that time with your dad at the end, I'm sure it meant the world to him.

2012-12-22 2:48 PM
in reply to: #4545293

User image

Master
SSMinnow - 2012-12-22 12:14 PM

Well Kyla if we're bragging about who we've met, I can say Fatty, Trevor, Julia, Tracy, Christina, Sam, Tony, Justin and Twin, better known as Kim to the new folks.  Some of these guys have yet to check in with family obligations/Holidays, but I am sure they will show eventually!

Now if I could only meet the rest of the group my year would be complete!

P.S.  Kyla, didn't you spend '12 running?  Your bike misses you.

I think I logged lots of bike hours training for my HIM, but what do I know?
2012-12-22 2:52 PM

User image

Champion
marietta

NAME:fattyfatfat / john

STORY: in progress.

FAMILY STATUS: Married (KIM<<) i mean jarrett.  three 2 legged kiddos (Jack is 7, June is 5  and Jacy is a 3) three 4 legged kiddos (madison the JRT is 12, joe the dog is our 11 year old JRT and tony T is our 8 year old blue healer who was born on St Pats so we always have an excuse to drink on St Pats!!!!

CURRENT TRAINING: hitting it

2012  RACES: The Florida Ironman.  an oly and some running races.

2013 RACES:  not sure yet.  rev3 williamsburg is on the calendar but we may have family plans change that. 

WEIGHTLOSS: i was skinny then i got fat now i'm in between.  right now i'm at ~230.  

Goals: not sign up for any long course races this year.

BIG welcome to all the new folks and awesome to have some old folks back!!!

2012-12-22 3:15 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco

My ears have been ringing all morning! Now I know why!  Wah!!!

Thank you, David.  Dad was a special guy and it was an honor for me to spend those moments with him.

NAME:kt65/ Kim (aka Suzy's twin because we have the same birthday and a few shared neurosis')

FAMILY STATUS: Married (John<<) i mean kathy.  wait. what?  two 4 legged rescued kiddos: Mochi (7 yr old brown tabby) and Ripley (4 year old Pit mix who is a terrific running partner)

CURRENT TRAINING: hitting it. wait. what?!  I am currently not much of a triathlete, but have been enjoying getting stronger with Crossfit and running 2-3x week with the pooch.

2012  RACES: The Goofy Challenge, a local duathlon, Vineman 70.3, Disneyland Half Marathon

2013 RACES:  Hits Napa Olympic in April (with Linda and her speedy son, Zach), Oakland Half Marathon (with Suzy) and then Vineman 70.3 #5 for me! (with Linda again!)

Goals: Last year was a bit trying with a heel injury and dealing with some family stuff throughout the year, but I am looking forward to 2013 as things have been feeling pretty good with my heel.  Not sure how things will play out but I am dedicated to keeping things mellow this coming year. 

Welcome to all of our newest members.  Looking forward to sharing the journey with the MG in 2013.  Was it Brian who is doing the Vineman Full?  Love the course, love, love, love it!  Please feel free to shoot me any questions!

2012-12-22 3:21 PM
in reply to: #4545330

User image

Expert
Salem
kt65 - 2012-12-22 1:15 PM

My ears have been ringing all morning! Now I know why!  Wah!!!

Thank you, David.  Dad was a special guy and it was an honor for me to spend those moments with him.

NAME:kt65/ Kim (aka Suzy's twin because we have the same birthday and a few shared neurosis')

FAMILY STATUS: Married (John<<) i mean kathy.  wait. what?  two 4 legged rescued kiddos: Mochi (7 yr old brown tabby) and Ripley (4 year old Pit mix who is a terrific running partner)

CURRENT TRAINING: hitting it. wait. what?!  I am currently not much of a triathlete, but have been enjoying getting stronger with Crossfit and running 2-3x week with the pooch.

2012  RACES: The Goofy Challenge, a local duathlon, Vineman 70.3, Disneyland Half Marathon

2013 RACES:  Hits Napa Olympic in April (with Linda and her speedy son, Zach), Oakland Half Marathon (with Suzy) and then Vineman 70.3 #5 for me! (with Linda again!)

Goals: Last year was a bit trying with a heel injury and dealing with some family stuff throughout the year, but I am looking forward to 2013 as things have been feeling pretty good with my heel.  Not sure how things will play out but I am dedicated to keeping things mellow this coming year. 

Welcome to all of our newest members.  Looking forward to sharing the journey with the MG in 2013.  Was it Brian who is doing the Vineman Full?  Love the course, love, love, love it!  Please feel free to shoot me any questions!

Yes signed up and in training. Ending week two. Tomorrow will be an hour run on a very hilly route. This route will be my replica of Vineman.
2012-12-22 4:54 PM

User image

Regular
I want back in!  I'll post my bio tomorrow.  I'm in the process of getting ready for a Christmas party.
2012-12-22 9:03 PM

User image

Champion

Christmas #1 is officially in the books.  Off to Lambeau in the morning!

So happy to see you back Kim!!!!  You too Deb.

PS.  Kyla, I was kidding.....good grief.  I felt a few feathers ruffle. Off to sulk in the dog house.

2012-12-22 9:43 PM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada

official updated bio.....

My story.....Grew up living a very active lifestyle.  Then like a typical guy, I got married, had kids and got fat.
Joined a gym about 5 years ago, got a trainer for a few months and shed alot of the weight..Down about 50 lbs so far. Hit my long-term training goal weight of 199lbs prior to my 1st season of tri's. Have never been a runner, so this lifestyle started as a great way to mix up my training and get me out of my comfort zones.

FAMILY STATUS: Married almost 9 years, 2 little girls (7 and 5), and a Wheaten Terrier named Kona(we were married in Hawaii, I had no idea about this ironman thing back then)

Past Races: Completed IM Canada the last two summers. WILL NOT be completing it or any other distance longer than 70.3 miles this year. A bunch of other 1/2's,Olympics, etc.

2013 Races: just a HIM in July that I'm currently not all that thrilled about training for.

Looking forward to racing the Vancouver Marathon in May. Would like to best my time in the only other stand alone marathon I've done. Should be easy with a bit of 45 year-old pace booty out there. 

WEIGHTLOSS: I'm 6' 205-210 lbs. Really need/want to shed a few lbs for Vancouver.
I don't feel like my nutrition is what it should be, so this will be another test. 

Welcome new guys! We have fun here!

Edited by TrevorC 2012-12-22 9:45 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Swbkrun mentor group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 67