BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Swbkrun mentor group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 67

2012-12-22 10:56 PM
in reply to: #4544835

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
Subject: RE: Swbkrun mentor group - OPEN
TriGuyBri - 2012-12-21 7:45 PM

I'd like to be in....

NAME: TRIGUYBRI/Brian

STORY: I am from Salem, Oregon.  Working towards my 5th year in Triathlon's.  Turning the big 50 next year and have signed up for Vineman Full in Guerneville, CA.  Race day (July 27th) is the day before my 50th B-Day (July 28th).  Happy B-Day me.  What a way to turn 50. : ) Involved in our local Tri Club here in Salem, OR...Willamette Valley Triathlon Club.  Have done Sprints, Oly Distance and Half-Iron Distance. 

STATUS: Married (Kay) 25 years and we have one son Brandon and a Westhighlander Terrier (White Westie) named Scooter.

TRAINING: Am in Week 2 of my training plan for Vineman Full.  Using the Fink Competitive Plan. I too love the training and figuring everything out.  Especially enjoy the planning and the journey; except when the journey doesn't end well.

2012 RACES: One sprint this past year. Was training for a marathon that never happened due to an injury.  Took time off to heal.

2013 RACES: Metric Century Bike, Century Bike Ride, Two local sprints, Oly Distance, OWS (Iron Distance Swim)and 2 Practice Race Simulations.  Vineman Full (1st Full).

WEIGHTLOSS - Working on getting back to 190;  Current 219.

Hey neighbor! I just moved to Salem in July, but haven't spent much time here lately due to family events.  Hoping to spend more time at home in 2013. Would love to meet up sometime! Going to have to check out the tri club too.

2012-12-22 11:05 PM
in reply to: #4545264

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California
kkcbelle - 2012-12-22 11:33 AM
velcromom - 2012-12-22 10:33 AM

Here goes...

Name:  Linda - at 49, a stay-at-home mom and one of the more elder members of this group!

Background: Did this all in reverse order.  After a doctor told my that my RA wasn't gonna get any better, I should focus on maintaining the status quo with  meds, I decided to take a different approach.  I signed up to do IMMOO in September of 2008.  Started running the next day.  Cleaned up an old bike and started cycling a few weeks later.  Ran my first race, Rock & Roll half in 10/08.  Did my first mary 4/09.  My first tri was the Wildflower Long Course in 5/09, and I raced IMMOO in September of 2009!  Did a few more tris and runs in between, including Boston, and raced IMCdA in June of 2010 (with Kyla!!) Next IM stops was IMAZ last November.  Took 2012 off in terms of Iron-distance, but did do Boston again.  Raced up at REV3 Portland with Kyla and Julia-fun times!! Struggled with injuries this year, including a torn soleus at Boston, but I'll be back!!!  Have been lucky enough to meet, train, race and socialize with Kim, Kyla, Julia, Trevor, Christina - and can't wait to add more MG peeps to that list!!

Family Status:
Married to Jeff (4-time Ironman) for almost 27 years, have 3 kids (23, daughter, graduates with her Master's NEXT MONTH!!, Son, 19, college sophomore, Son, 17, HS sophomore) and one very fat dog (boxer).  Youngest son, Zach, also races - beat  his dad this year at the HIM and Oly distances, and at the 10K and HM distance.  Fun to watch. 

Weather:  Normally sunny northern California - lucky to to not even own a trainer!!  However, it's raining pretty hard right now, and only about 45 outside, so I'm just going to wrap Christmas presents!!   

Wow. I seem to remember a run in Seattle with, um, ahem, our esteemed leader Steve... He didn't even warrant a mention?? Shame...

XOXOXO. You know I love you, Mama!!!!

DANG.  Missed that.....up in Seattle to celebrate my 25th weding anniversary....got a break for hubby's work.....ran with Kyla and Steve - wonderful.....Ryan just blew the whole plan, called in sick, if I remember!  ADD STEVE TO MY LIST!!!!  Subtract Ryan for the no-show, but give him credit for exceptional advice before Big Sur.

Love this group!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2012-12-22 11:30 PM
in reply to: #4543742

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon

NAME: Roni

STORY: Moving forward

FAMILY STATUS: Married to Gary (gslye) for 24 years. We have two Daughters, Nicole 24 years and Natasha 22 years,  and a nearly 2 year old Grandson, Brayden (totally adorable, cute, funny and sweet). We also have an 18 year old fur baby Tycho (extremely vocal cat).

CURRENT TRAINING: Nada... going to hit it hard in January.

2012  RACES: Surfside Marathon, OnionMan Olympic, and a couple Rogaining events. 

2013 RACES:  Still in the works, but so far it's looking like- more local adventure/orienteering races, Pacific Crest HIM, Columbia Gorge Marathon, Black Hills, SD Marathon, and ticking off a couple more States for my 50 state goal. 

Goals: Get back on a consistent training schedule, drop 40 lbs, and drop my race times. 

Great to be back with this awesome group! Welcome to the new folks! Hope everyone is having a great holiday! Oh, and the thing I'm most looking forward to this Christmas... enjoying every moment with my family.

Edited by RoniS 2012-12-23 12:29 AM
2012-12-22 11:49 PM
in reply to: #4545598

User image

Expert
Salem
RoniS - 2012-12-22 8:56 PM
TriGuyBri - 2012-12-21 7:45 PM

I'd like to be in....

NAME: TRIGUYBRI/Brian

STORY: I am from Salem, Oregon.  Working towards my 5th year in Triathlon's.  Turning the big 50 next year and have signed up for Vineman Full in Guerneville, CA.  Race day (July 27th) is the day before my 50th B-Day (July 28th).  Happy B-Day me.  What a way to turn 50. : ) Involved in our local Tri Club here in Salem, OR...Willamette Valley Triathlon Club.  Have done Sprints, Oly Distance and Half-Iron Distance. 

STATUS: Married (Kay) 25 years and we have one son Brandon and a Westhighlander Terrier (White Westie) named Scooter.

TRAINING: Am in Week 2 of my training plan for Vineman Full.  Using the Fink Competitive Plan. I too love the training and figuring everything out.  Especially enjoy the planning and the journey; except when the journey doesn't end well.

2012 RACES: One sprint this past year. Was training for a marathon that never happened due to an injury.  Took time off to heal.

2013 RACES: Metric Century Bike, Century Bike Ride, Two local sprints, Oly Distance, OWS (Iron Distance Swim)and 2 Practice Race Simulations.  Vineman Full (1st Full).

WEIGHTLOSS - Working on getting back to 190;  Current 219.

Hey neighbor! I just moved to Salem in July, but haven't spent much time here lately due to family events.  Hoping to spend more time at home in 2013. Would love to meet up sometime! Going to have to check out the tri club too.

Hi Roni,I remember speaking to you earlier in the year when you moved here. HOw are things? Most of my swim training is at the Battle Creek Court House Fitness Center and biking on the trainer and running...well in the rain because that is what Oregonians do. Tri club is a great way to meet other athletes in the area. Whole bunch of things going on in Salem and the Northwest for that matter. Big swimming, biking and running community. Not necessarily all together. Look forward to meeting you. Later I'll point you tothe Tri Club Facebook Page, Website is WWW. WVTC.org, we also have a yahoo group here we post alot of our workouts.Have you done Pacific Crest HIM or Columbia Gorge Marathon or Half? PC was my first HIM and Columbia Gorge my first Half Mary. Both very hilly; not sure why I pick the hardest to do. IN line with that I am doing the Vineman Full which is also very hilly both the bike and run.. Go figure. I am not a climber either. Will be spinning up those hills, but the downhills I can get the speed up there.
2012-12-23 12:07 AM
in reply to: #4544911

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
living the dream - 2012-12-21 10:37 PM

Hi everyone, I would love to join in on all the fun!

I really like that there are a lot of members here that have a lot of different experience.  I hope you will have me and I think I will get a lot from this and hope to be able to give something in return as well.  

NAME: Drew Coyle

STORY: In June of 2011 I realized that I would be turning 30 in a year and figured I needed to make a change in my lifestyle.  Included on the list of things to change was weight, diet and overall well being.  It took about 8 more months before I started taking things seriously.  Last April and May I began running a little (more walking than running I think).  I started around 260lbs @ about 6'2".  I started losing weight and feeling better.  In June (the week I turned 30) my sister showed up to stay with my wife and I while she competed in her first Ironman.  It was the first year we embraced the madness that the IM brings to town and didn't leave for calmer waters.  I was beyond inspired.  It was one of the most incredible things I had ever been a part of, and I started wondering...could I maybe do this someday?    The next week I was signed up for a 5k.  Fast forward to the end of July I had a conversation with a colleague who was interested in triathlon as well.  The conversation we had made me want to start very badly.  So I found an "Internet" Half Ironman training plan on some website called Beginner Triathlete....  By the first week of August I had started swimming regularly and purchased a bike and was preparing to step up my running.  I have been training and logging as much as my schedule has allowed ever since.  To date I have lost 40 lbs and am hovering around 220 and still gaining fitness and losing weight.  The same sister, for round two of inspiration, was signed up for Ironman Canada.  Off we went to watch that.  It was equally inspirational and gave a boost of motivation when some of the excitement was waning.  She qualified for Kona on that adventure.  In October I had the privilege of traveling to witness the Mecca of triathlon.  I was able to swim the bay, run on Ali'i drive and even met and got an autograph from Mary Beth Ellis.  I was even more hooked.  I had signed up for the Boise Half Ironman as soon as registration opened.  I am committed and ready to go, but I think I might need some advice and some encouragement along the way!

Aside from the new found joy of training for triathlon, I love to ski and just bought a small sailboat this last summer.  I'm also a sucker for the great beers we are so spoiled by in the Pacific Northwest!  

STATUS: My wife Kate and I live in Coeur d' Alene Idaho, the black lab (Wilbur) & and a mainecoon are the closest things to kids.  I work and commute to Anchorage AK.

TRAINING: As a commuting pilot, training has been an adventure.  I've got 3 pools I use regularly, 2 gyms and lots of running routes.  The bike is difficult this time of year.  I've been using stationary/spin bikes when I can.  I try to train 3-6 days per week depending on what the schedule looks like.  

2013 RACES: I'm a total tri-noob, this is my first go!  I'm signed up for the Boise Half Ironman, and am looking for a sprint or two to mix into my training plan (hopefully in the Northwest).  

WEIGHTLOSS: Training thus far has rewarded me with much better results than I ever dreamed.  I hope to continue until I find my natural healthy weight.

Another PNW resident... love it! Steve (swbkrun) and I both did Boise HIM back in 2009. Coeur d'alene is a great place to train for it! My RR from it is here on BT... if you're bored sometime.  Weather was crazy that year, but it's a great course and I had a blast! I'm looking forward to following your journey to the start line and through the course.

2012-12-23 12:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Georgia
I know there was some talk about HR monitor problems a while back, but I don't remember when or the exact discussion. Mine has started jumping from The low 60s to 140+ within the first couple hundred yards. It eventually works its way back down over the first mile +, but it's a frustrating to try and pace by HR this way. Ideas, suggestions or anyone else have this problem?

Edited by tdl1972 2012-12-23 12:26 AM

2012-12-23 5:26 AM
in reply to: #4545622

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

tdl1972 - 2012-12-23 12:17 AM I know there was some talk about HR monitor problems a while back, but I don't remember when or the exact discussion. Mine has started jumping from The low 60s to 140+ within the first couple hundred yards. It eventually works its way back down over the first mile +, but it's a frustrating to try and pace by HR this way. Ideas, suggestions or anyone else have this problem?

three ideas:  1) how old is the battery?  2)  how well is it stuck to your chest? does it go back to normal when you start sweating?  and 3) interference.  Does it happen everywhere? or just in a single location?

Mine will go from low 50s to 190+ and I always know that is some sort of interference--when I am on the TM, it is because of static electricity in the winter.  I have to Bounce myself and sometimes spray Downy on me to get it to go away.

2012-12-23 6:51 AM

User image

Master
Maryland
Good morning everyone I'm in again! Welcome new members! We love discussing all things triathlon and some other fun things too. This is a great Mentor Group to be with!
2012-12-23 7:22 AM

User image

Expert
Noosa
tdl1972 - 2012-12-23 3:17 PMI know there was some talk about HR monitor problems a while back, but I don't remember when or the exact discussion. Mine has started jumping from The low 60s to 140+ within the first couple hundred yards. It eventually works its way back down over the first mile +, but it's a frustrating to try and pace by HR this way. Ideas, suggestions or anyone else have this problem?

My old strap gave up after about 3 years, how old is yours? With my new one I'll still get problems if I'm cold and so not as sweaty as usual and also with some synthetic materials causing static.

I tend to lick the strap or wet it before I use it but as you might remember from the old post I'd heard that using KY Jelly on the strap works!
2012-12-23 7:48 AM
in reply to: #4545330

User image

Champion
marietta
kt65 - 2012-12-22 4:15 PM

My ears have been ringing all morning! Now I know why!  Wah!!!

Thank you, David.  Dad was a special guy and it was an honor for me to spend those moments with him.

NAME:kt65/ Kim (aka Suzy's twin because we have the same birthday and a few shared neurosis')

STORY: in progress.

FAMILY STATUS: Married (John<<) i mean kathy.  wait. what?  two 4 legged rescued kiddos: Mochi (7 yr old brown tabby) and Ripley (4 year old Pit mix who is a terrific running partner)

CURRENT TRAINING: hitting it. wait. what?!  I am currently not much of a triathlete, but have been enjoying getting stronger with Crossfit and running 2-3x week with the pooch.

2012  RACES: The Goofy Challenge, a local duathlon, Vineman 70.3, Disneyland Half Marathon

2013 RACES:  Hits Napa Olympic in April (with Linda and her speedy son, Zach), Oakland Half Marathon (with Suzy) and then Vineman 70.3 #5 for me! (with Linda again!)

Goals: Last year was a bit trying with a heel injury and dealing with some family stuff throughout the year, but I am looking forward to 2013 as things have been feeling pretty good with my heel.  Not sure how things will play out but I am dedicated to keeping things mellow this coming year. 

Welcome to all of our newest members.  Looking forward to sharing the journey with the MG in 2013.  Was it Brian who is doing the Vineman Full?  Love the course, love, love, love it!  Please feel free to shoot me any questions!

WAIT, WHAT. 

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAA. 

jack found the annoying orange.  its delayed my run but so worth it... if you like childish stuff.

2012-12-23 8:30 AM
in reply to: #4545749

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
fattyfatfat - 2012-12-23 6:48 AM
kt65 - 2012-12-22 4:15 PM

My ears have been ringing all morning! Now I know why!  Wah!!!

Thank you, David.  Dad was a special guy and it was an honor for me to spend those moments with him.

NAME:kt65/ Kim (aka Suzy's twin because we have the same birthday and a few shared neurosis')

STORY: in progress.

FAMILY STATUS: Married (John<<) i mean kathy.  wait. what?  two 4 legged rescued kiddos: Mochi (7 yr old brown tabby) and Ripley (4 year old Pit mix who is a terrific running partner)

CURRENT TRAINING: hitting it. wait. what?!  I am currently not much of a triathlete, but have been enjoying getting stronger with Crossfit and running 2-3x week with the pooch.

2012  RACES: The Goofy Challenge, a local duathlon, Vineman 70.3, Disneyland Half Marathon

2013 RACES:  Hits Napa Olympic in April (with Linda and her speedy son, Zach), Oakland Half Marathon (with Suzy) and then Vineman 70.3 #5 for me! (with Linda again!)

Goals: Last year was a bit trying with a heel injury and dealing with some family stuff throughout the year, but I am looking forward to 2013 as things have been feeling pretty good with my heel.  Not sure how things will play out but I am dedicated to keeping things mellow this coming year. 

Welcome to all of our newest members.  Looking forward to sharing the journey with the MG in 2013.  Was it Brian who is doing the Vineman Full?  Love the course, love, love, love it!  Please feel free to shoot me any questions!

WAIT, WHAT. 

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAA. 

jack found the annoying orange.  its delayed my run but so worth it... if you like childish stuff.

Give it a month. We had one is the summer. Was funny for a while, but after a month it truly did become annoying!

2012-12-23 9:21 AM

User image

Veteran

Bruce Whittemore  - Just went over the 52 mark, not sure where that puts me in the age group category with this group....but still feeling 30 something most days Live in the Garden State (and there are some beautiful spots here despite public opinion) Grew up in Fairfield County CT.

Background:
Always played sports my whole life, lacrosse in HS, lots of softball over the years, rugby, ultimate frisbee , football, snowboarding, hiking ....love the outdoors.....bring it on and I will try it.

Family: Married 29 years, three adult children that still live at home , son 25 who is a personal trainer, two daughters, 23 and 21....they have it to easy at home...time to move.

Races/Goals:  Third year of triathlons, done sprints, and Olympics, and half mary, looking to do my first HIM in 2013, and full in 2014.

What I need to work on: Need to work on it all, mostly motivation is my enemy, need to get out there early in the morning so that I don't lose the day....

Role in MG: Cheerleader add what I can when I can....

Other Tidbits: One dog and three cats (cats go with the kids when they move out , had a monkey growing up if anyone cares, I am a business development manager for a large printing company, work from home and love it most of the time....can get lonely....

Hope you all with have me back

2012-12-23 9:29 AM
in reply to: #4545820

User image

Champion
marietta
bfwhitt - 2012-12-23 10:21 AM

Grew up in Fairfield County CT.

no kidding.  i grew up in greenwich.  what town are you from? 

2012-12-23 10:34 AM

User image

Expert
Salem
tdl1972 - 2012-12-22 10:17 PMI know there was some talk about HR monitor problems a while back, but I don't remember when or the exact discussion. Mine has started jumping from The low 60s to 140+ within the first couple hundred yards. It eventually works its way back down over the first mile +, but it's a frustrating to try and pace by HR this way. Ideas, suggestions or anyone else have this problem?
MY HEART RATE MONITOR ON MY GARMIN 305 DOES THIS AT THE START AND SETTLES IN AND COMES BACK DOWN. ALL MY RUNS ARE THIS WAY THOUGH. MY HEART RATE SPIKES ON THE FIRST INTERVAL. UNSURE IF IT IS WITHIN THE FIRST HUNDRED YARDS, BUT DEFINITELY WITHIN THE FIRST 8 MIN.AS SLOW AS I AM THAT VERY WELL COULDBE THE FIRST 100 YDS. : )
2012-12-23 11:46 AM

Centralia

Hi everyone, still says open and you all sound like a great bunch!!

Name: Cheryl DuPrey

Story: I am 40 years old and live in Centralia, WA. Grew up around Leavenworth, WA one of the most beautiful places to live. Very active as a youth and even young adult. Played soccer, rode bicycle and of course went skiing continuously (of course it helps when you live 7 miles from the ski area). And here I am trying something new and exciting.

Status: Married for 20 years to Gene, deputy in Thurston Co. We work opposite shifts, ugh. I have three children: Gary, 18; Austin, 16; and Elyssa (Miss E), 14. Then of course I have my four legged babies. Two dogs - Sasha, a newf and Oskar, an Australian Shepard; Kay-dee, Arabian and Misty, my species confused miniature horse.

Training: Currently we are training 3 times a week, running. Attempted a brick last week and was flooded out of the fitness center, haha. So, gonna try to get into bricks hard and heavy in January.

2012 Races: We have completed three 5ks this year. The last one was on Dec. 22, 2012.

2013 Races: The goal is to compete at Lake Chelan in the Try-a-Tri. I want to make sure I really can get into this sport, but I don't think there will be an issue. I am a complete geek about this stuff and love to improve my time, even in 5ks. We will also be competing in the Rage in the Sage Duathlon, and the kicker........wait for it......the 5k Foam Fest, Issaquah. Laughing

Goals: Improve my running, learn how to swim (properly) and have lots and lots of fun.

Weightloss: I am probably what is considered an athena, don't care. I know what my set point is and although insurance companies would like to see me 25 lbs lighter, too bad. Once I start exercising appropriately again, I gain muscle and lose fat.

(When you read we above, please note, I am taking on this adventure with my two office mates. Also, note, none of us know a thing about triathlons and we get nervous when we go do our 5ks. So any and all advice is greatly appreciated.)

Thank you,

Cheryl

2012-12-23 12:26 PM

Coeur d' Alene, and AK

I think this is aimed at Brian, not sure I'm going to have to get better with everyone's name here.

I use a Garmin 305.  I have found with the strap I originally I wore it above my sternum and it worked great.  As my body shape has been changing, I've had to lower the strap to rest just below the sternum or it won't get a good contact.  I also lather my chest up with water before I put it on.  I've found, especially when I'm running in AK and it's bitterly cold, that it will be very erratic when I wear it until I begin sweating enough to create a better contact.

Drew

2012-12-23 2:08 PM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV

I would like back in!  

Name:  Chet

Profile:  8th season running / triathlon, married 2 kids

Goals:  New challenge presented recently but goal is to run Boston in 2014.

Favorite workout: 3 mile trail run with my golden retriever.

Least favorite workout:  Anything on the bike.

2012-12-23 2:12 PM
in reply to: #4545514

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
SSMinnow - 2012-12-22 7:03 PM

Christmas #1 is officially in the books.  Off to Lambeau in the morning!

So happy to see you back Kim!!!!  You too Deb.

PS.  Kyla, I was kidding.....good grief.  I felt a few feathers ruffle. Off to sulk in the dog house.

Suzy - looks like you are having a good day at the stadium!

2012-12-23 2:23 PM
in reply to: #4545940

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
dupreyck - 2012-12-23 9:46 AM

Hi everyone, still says open and you all sound like a great bunch!!

Name: Cheryl DuPrey

Story: I am 40 years old and live in Centralia, WA. Grew up around Leavenworth, WA one of the most beautiful places to live. Very active as a youth and even young adult. Played soccer, rode bicycle and of course went skiing continuously (of course it helps when you live 7 miles from the ski area). And here I am trying something new and exciting.

Status: Married for 20 years to Gene, deputy in Thurston Co. We work opposite shifts, ugh. I have three children: Gary, 18; Austin, 16; and Elyssa (Miss E), 14. Then of course I have my four legged babies. Two dogs - Sasha, a newf and Oskar, an Australian Shepard; Kay-dee, Arabian and Misty, my species confused miniature horse.

Training: Currently we are training 3 times a week, running. Attempted a brick last week and was flooded out of the fitness center, haha. So, gonna try to get into bricks hard and heavy in January.

2012 Races: We have completed three 5ks this year. The last one was on Dec. 22, 2012.

2013 Races: The goal is to compete at Lake Chelan in the Try-a-Tri. I want to make sure I really can get into this sport, but I don't think there will be an issue. I am a complete geek about this stuff and love to improve my time, even in 5ks. We will also be competing in the Rage in the Sage Duathlon, and the kicker........wait for it......the 5k Foam Fest, Issaquah. Laughing

Goals: Improve my running, learn how to swim (properly) and have lots and lots of fun.

Weightloss: I am probably what is considered an athena, don't care. I know what my set point is and although insurance companies would like to see me 25 lbs lighter, too bad. Once I start exercising appropriately again, I gain muscle and lose fat.

(When you read we above, please note, I am taking on this adventure with my two office mates. Also, note, none of us know a thing about triathlons and we get nervous when we go do our 5ks. So any and all advice is greatly appreciated.)

Thank you,

Cheryl

Welcome you fellow north westerner!!!
2012-12-23 4:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Oklahoma City, OK
Hey everyone. It's been a while but I would love to come hang with you all again. I didn't do any tri's in 2012 and am sooo ready to get back at it! I can't even remember the last time I was on my bike. I am off to battle the masses and finish my xmas shopping and will post a bio when I get back.
2012-12-23 4:58 PM
in reply to: #4545964

User image

Expert
Salem
living the dream - 2012-12-23 10:26 AM

I think this is aimed at Brian, not sure I'm going to have to get better with everyone's name here.

I use a Garmin 305.  I have found with the strap I originally I wore it above my sternum and it worked great.  As my body shape has been changing, I've had to lower the strap to rest just below the sternum or it won't get a good contact.  I also lather my chest up with water before I put it on.  I've found, especially when I'm running in AK and it's bitterly cold, that it will be very erratic when I wear it until I begin sweating enough to create a better contact.

Drew

I'll give it a try and see if it makes a difference. THX

2012-12-23 5:01 PM

User image

Expert
Salem
The rain today is just neverending in Salem, OR. Kind of felt a little guilty going to the gym and while on my way I see people running out in the rain.Anyway why I am writing...what is it about the treadmill that make it feel so much harder than running outside. Did an hour at an average of 11:45/mile and it just felt like forever and seems so much harder. Had a 1% incline as well. I think I'll take my chances with the rain.
2012-12-23 6:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Tucson

Hello.  A newbie here wanting to join!  I can use all the help that I can get.  Cool

Name: desertchica/ Margo

Story:  I am on the outskirts of Tucson, AZ.  Love it here!  Can train year round outside.  I hate training indoors.  I have been running for about 4 years.  Have had a bad relationship with it as I would go too hard and injured myself repeatedly.  I have always wanted to do a tri but didn't know how to swim and didn't own a bike.  I hurt my right hip flexor for the third time back in May so took 8 weeks off from running.  Decided to get going with the tri training in July.  The swimming has taken much longer to get the hang of than I anticipated so I haven't done my first real tri yet.  I am super excited to be getting involved in triathlon. 

Status:  Happily married for 17 years.  My fitness is rubbing off on my hubbie.  He is now running and cycling!  Just got to get him in the pool now!  We have two boys.  An 8 year old and soon to be 11 year old.  We also own the best pitbull ever, Macy.  She is my running partner.

Training:  I love it!  I want to do more of it.  I do about 6-7 hours of s/b/r a week.  My last few weeks have been a bit low with the crazyness of the holidays.  I just completed my first mock sprint on Thursday though.  I was very pleased with the results.

2013 races:  I plan on doing the 3 sprints here at the U of A.  They will be in a pool.  I would also like to expand my run base quite a bit by the end of the year and do an 8.5 mile race that is in Nov.

I plan on getting into longer distance stuff in the years to come.  I need to really work on my swim before I look at open water though.  Now I need to get an avatar and a signature!

2012-12-23 7:06 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

I'm excited because Chet and Holly are back, Bruce is over 2 years older than me, we have more new members with Cheryl and Margo AND we totally kicked it at Lambeau today.  

Chet, you're right, we had a ton of fun at the game.  The weather turned a balmy 22F and the sign was a hit.  

Edited by SSMinnow 2012-12-23 7:19 PM
2012-12-23 8:01 PM

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina

Count me in again!!

Name:  Jayne

Background: I'm 46 years experienced.  I'm a middle school U.S. History teacher, and exercise is my stress-reliever. 

Family Status:  Married with 3 children (ages 24 (Tyler--just got engaged), 24 (Ben--Currently taking up running), 22 (Samantha--Graduating from IU in the spring), 2 dogs, 1 cat.

Current Training:  Maintain the swim/bike and stretch the running distances.

2012 Races: Did my first 1/2 marathon in March, an "accidental" 30 mile ultra in April and another trail 1/2 marathon two weeks later.  A few sprint triathlons and an oly.  Finishing my my year with a 50k trail ultra on December 29.

2013 Races: I'm registered for a very fun nighttime trail 1/2 marathon in January with Julia, a 50 mile trail run in April, and planning to register for my first HIM (Muncie in July).  Add a spattering of sprints/trail races, etc.

Weight Loss:  I have lost about 35lbs in the past couple of years and would like to take off another 10.  I need to learn more about, and focus on good nutrition. 

Overall Goal:  Go longer and get faster.  I finally have 10 toenails, so I'd kinda like to keep them for the season.  

What do I bring to the mentor group?:  I love to joke around and have fun.  Don't want to take life (or myself) too seriously. I bring a lot of questions.  Some of them are occasionally on topic Laughing

I look forward to getting to know everyone, hearing your stories, and working together to meet our goals!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Swbkrun mentor group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 67