of 27

2013-01-17 11:19 AM
in reply to: #4582207

Veteran
Sunny Oregon
Subject: RE: 1 year, 1000 miles
wgraves7582 - 2013-01-17 5:35 AM

norcal_SAHD - 2013-01-17 1:43 AM

Triguy67 - 2013-01-16 12:51 PM Just came across this and would love to jump in. Started running again in August after a considerable time away and like the idea of this challenge. Definitely need something to keep me motivated and accountable, especially during our rainy, cold winter months. I'm a slower runner and have recently been focusing on some HR based training, and has made me even s l o w e r... but hope to see the fruits of that in the months ahead. Time to turn off Netflix and go lace up the shoes!

Ha, I've just started HR running, trying to keep myself in zone 2.  It's tough!  I'm running (and I use that term loosely...) 11:30-12 minute miles right now.  oof.  No matter, 30 minutes is 30 minutes regardless of how far I go.  Not like I'm in a hurry to get there when training anyway, I just run 1/2 way, turn around and run back.  Who cares how far I go? Smile  On the upside, I have had no soreness and each run ends feeling better than when I started.  They say speed will come, I guess we'll see in a few months.

welcome to the 1000 mile quest.

It will - last winter I did Z1/Z2 solely for 3 months (10 min miles) and then did a 5k TT and went sub 8 min miles.  Just run as often as possible as comfortable as possible for 3-4 months and then add in weekly speed work and you will be amazed at how the times drop off your TT

Bill - beyond the 5K time improvement that you noted, in terms of longer efforts, have you experienced any material improvement in HR/pace over 1/2 or marathon distances? My goal is to eventually complete a 50 miler where I'll need to stay in Z2 for the entire effort. With that said, if I don't experience much improvement in pace per mile at my Z2 level I think I'm going to struggle with cutoff times, etc. in a race of that length. I'm not looking to "race" it per se, only to complete it and have a good day.

2013-01-18 7:27 AM
in reply to: #4582660

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-01-18 3:00 PM
in reply to: #4583983

Elite
Lakewood, CO
wgraves7582 - 2013-01-18 6:27 AM 

I honestly believe people train too fast - especially new people to running - we want instant gratification and cannot set aside the time or show the patience to let our bodies adapt they way they were created to and we push them too hard and get injured.

Hope this helps.

So I read this before going over to the gym to continue week 3 of FIRST  10k plan, where they always having you pushing LT by the end.  So here I am thinking, yeah for the first time in my life I am pursing the opposite idea.

I learned a lesson today about the FIRST plan - don't skip the long run one week and just do the planned on the next week.  I missed my 7 mile run last week.  So I am out targeting the 8 mile run for this week - 8 miles at 5k pace plus about 50 seconds.  I hit the 7 mile mark and things were doing alright - then the wheels came off that last mile was a struggle and hurt.

So as you are building lay each foundation, no short cuts, no skipping.  It will serve you better over the long haul

2013-01-19 1:43 PM
in reply to: #4583983

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
wgraves7582 - 2013-01-18 8:27 AM
Triguy67 - 2013-01-17 12:19 PM

Triguy67 - 2013-01-16 12:51 PM Just came across this and would love to jump in. Started running again in August after a considerable time away and like the idea of this challenge. Definitely need something to keep me motivated and accountable, especially during our rainy, cold winter months. I'm a slower runner and have recently been focusing on some HR based training, and has made me even s l o w e r... but hope to see the fruits of that in the months ahead. Time to turn off Netflix and go lace up the shoes!

Ha, I've just started HR running, trying to keep myself in zone 2.  It's tough!  I'm running (and I use that term loosely...) 11:30-12 minute miles right now.  oof.  No matter, 30 minutes is 30 minutes regardless of how far I go.  Not like I'm in a hurry to get there when training anyway, I just run 1/2 way, turn around and run back.  Who cares how far I go? Smile  On the upside, I have had no soreness and each run ends feeling better than when I started.  They say speed will come, I guess we'll see in a few months.

It will - last winter I did Z1/Z2 solely for 3 months (10 min miles) and then did a 5k TT and went sub 8 min miles.  Just run as often as possible as comfortable as possible for 3-4 months and then add in weekly speed work and you will be amazed at how the times drop off your TT

Bill - beyond the 5K time improvement that you noted, in terms of longer efforts, have you experienced any material improvement in HR/pace over 1/2 or marathon distances? My goal is to eventually complete a 50 miler where I'll need to stay in Z2 for the entire effort. With that said, if I don't experience much improvement in pace per mile at my Z2 level I think I'm going to struggle with cutoff times, etc. in a race of that length. I'm not looking to "race" it per se, only to complete it and have a good day.

I didn't end up doing any long races last year but I would have to imagine that the more z2 training you do at any distance will make you faster and stronger at that distance.  When I did my marathon a couple of years ago I could do 10:00 min miles for hours upon hours.  I did a 32.5 mile ultra the month before the marathon and just stayed at 10:00 min miles and was fine the whole race.

I honestly believe people train too fast - especially new people to running - we want instant gratification and cannot set aside the time or show the patience to let our bodies adapt they way they were created to and we push them too hard and get injured.

Hope this helps.

Wise, wise, wise words Bill.  I was thinking about this today on my long run.  I had no electronics for my first year but every run, I tried to go faster and harder.  Got my Garmin, fell in love with it, and quickly became a slave to it.  I'm watching my pace the whole time on it.  Then I decided to try HR training.  Started on a ez run and per my watch, my HR was about 196.  Since my father died of a heart attack at an early age, that data scared the crap out of me and I stopped HR training because it stressed me too much. 

But I kept reading about ez runs and wanted to learn to do them although I didn't understand the concept.  One day I'm running in the dark and the mile beep happens.  I didn't look at the watch and just kept up with my mileage due to the beeps.  When I got home, I saw that everything was slower - but I felt great.  Did the same the next day, and the next, and the next.  Soon I found that I was running ez but my body wasn't hurting.  Before I was running 3 or 4 times a week because I was hurting too much on other days.  When I began running ez, I found I could run 5 or 6 days a week - more mileage and less pain.  And then the more mileage you have, well races are easier and FASTER than before.  So can you tell, I really believe in the running ez most of the time?  I just go more by feel instead of HR or pace but the concept is the same.  Bill is right, go ez and slow and our bodies will adapt.

2013-01-20 10:15 AM
in reply to: #4582660

Master
St. Louis
Triguy67 - 2013-01-17 11:19 AM

Triguy, I set a goal of taking 10 minutes off my half marathon this year and planned on doing a couple easy z2 runs and speed work every week. Previous PR was 1:55 and change, i was shooting for sub 1:45. After several track sessions doing 800's then 400's at a really fast pace for me (7:15-7:30 miles) I hurt my knees and had to quite running or cycling for weeks. This was six months before the race. Once I started running again I did all zone 2. After a couple months I would throw in a tempo run here or there if I was doing an out and back and my first half in zone 2 was a good split, and my knees and body were feeling good. Basically I would keep speeding up until I couldn't run any faster without risking injury and negative split 5k runs by a minute and a half and 10 k runs by nearly three minutes. These tempo runs weren't planned and weren't every week. I never went to the track. Come race day, I had no ambitions of running 1:45 but knew I could beat my 1:55.

Oh, I should mention I tried to get to 30 miles per week running 6x per week. I rarely hits 30 miles per week and rarely hit 6x but routinely always ran at least 4 x per week. I made sure not to miss my long run and started trail running on the weekends which I think helps strengthen different muscles, mainly gluts, hamstrings and quads. As an aside, I knew I should have been doing hip and butt strengthening exercises but never made the time. Anyway, if you search on BT for the BarryP plan you'll find what I was trying to do, 3 short, 2 medium, and 1 long a week with ratios of the medium being 2x the short and the long being 3x the short. So if your long run is 9 miles I tried to make my week 3-6-3-6-3-0-9 or something like that. Of course it never worked out quite that way and I kept my short and medium runs at 3 and 6 while I increased my long run to 15. If you are training for a 50 miler, find a plan that looks reasonable for you. The ones I looked at have back to back long runs every weekend with a few short/medium runs fduring the week.

Anyway, when it came to race day, I shaved 5 minutes off my PR and felt really good up until about 10 miles, the last 5k hurt. Had I hit the 30 mile per week mark more often, I imagine the last three miles would have been a bit easier.

Let us know what you decide to do for your plan and how it goes. I love hearing about what works for others.
2013-01-20 1:54 PM
in reply to: #4556786

Master
St. Louis
Isn't logging great? I never work out as much as I think I do. :-)

For the six months before the half, I never ran 6x. Only ran 5x four times and only ran 4x four times and ran 3x 14 times. Not exactly practicing what I wrote in my previous post. I should really check my logs before I respond with what I thought I did. Sorry.

2013-01-20 4:05 PM

Veteran
Coldfoot, Alaska

I need a do-over for this week. Between taking a day off to avoid injury, 16+ inches of snow, and some really nice aurora's I just had to go photograph last night - I'm a few days off track. So I'm  going to roll with the punches and start back up in tomorrow morning . 

Hope everyone had a better week than I did!

2013-01-20 7:57 PM
in reply to: #4587010

Master
St. Louis
sanhador - 2013-01-20 4:05 PM

I need a do-over for this week. Between taking a day off to avoid injury, 16+ inches of snow, and some really nice aurora's I just had to go photograph last night - I'm a few days off track. So I'm  going to roll with the punches and start back up in tomorrow morning . 

Hope everyone had a better week than I did!

Do over granted :-). I was on track until. I ended up with a sore ankle today and had to skip my six miler.
2013-01-20 8:58 PM

Master
Central Kansas
Bad week for me. We've had the flu in our house. I think we are recovering, but I am still a little weak and my chest is still buzzing. I tried to get some workouts in this week, but it was super light.
2013-01-20 11:07 PM

Expert

No need to panic, just get back after it!  Plenty of time to make up ground on the bunny, the year is young. Smile

I just finished my third week of running 6x/week (in the past I never ran more than 4x/week, usually 3x), and I feel fantastic!  All the running was in zone 2 (read: slow and easy) and I'm not having any issues of soreness at all.  I'm very tired, but that's more a function of lack of sleep I think...  Anyway, still have a ways to go to catch the bunny, but I will.  Might be in 2 months, might be in 4.  But I'll be having bunny stew soon. Tongue out

2013-01-21 6:06 AM

Expert
Tallahassee

Got to confess, I've been very slack the last few day but not of my choosing.  My legs IT band and quads make it so I can hardly walk, much less run.  Wife (PinkSocks) has been REAL MAD at me cause I'm not very tolerant of injury, don't have time for it AND I have a HM in 2 weeks I have to train for.  She said if I don't take it easy I won't start and i said if I don't train, I won't finish.

I'm as frustrated as a cop on a diet in a donut shop.

2013-01-21 1:33 PM

Extreme Veteran
Shawboro, NC

Mind if I get in on this 1 year, 1000 miles thing?  Some half marathon training might help me, and vice versa!

From January 1, 2013 to now, I only have logged 30.79 miles.  That number will be increasing as I get closer to my half marathon, though.

Some long work days on the submarine (like all this week... 0800 - 2000 work days, plus a 24 hour shift Friday to Saturday of this week) will make it a rough go, but I'm in it!

2013-01-21 7:55 PM
in reply to: #4586744

Veteran
Sunny Oregon
ransick - 2013-01-20 8:15 AM

Triguy67 - 2013-01-17 11:19 AM

Triguy, I set a goal of taking 10 minutes off my half marathon this year and planned on doing a couple easy z2 runs and speed work every week. Previous PR was 1:55 and change, i was shooting for sub 1:45. After several track sessions doing 800's then 400's at a really fast pace for me (7:15-7:30 miles) I hurt my knees and had to quite running or cycling for weeks. This was six months before the race. Once I started running again I did all zone 2. After a couple months I would throw in a tempo run here or there if I was doing an out and back and my first half in zone 2 was a good split, and my knees and body were feeling good. Basically I would keep speeding up until I couldn't run any faster without risking injury and negative split 5k runs by a minute and a half and 10 k runs by nearly three minutes. These tempo runs weren't planned and weren't every week. I never went to the track. Come race day, I had no ambitions of running 1:45 but knew I could beat my 1:55.

Oh, I should mention I tried to get to 30 miles per week running 6x per week. I rarely hits 30 miles per week and rarely hit 6x but routinely always ran at least 4 x per week. I made sure not to miss my long run and started trail running on the weekends which I think helps strengthen different muscles, mainly gluts, hamstrings and quads. As an aside, I knew I should have been doing hip and butt strengthening exercises but never made the time. Anyway, if you search on BT for the BarryP plan you'll find what I was trying to do, 3 short, 2 medium, and 1 long a week with ratios of the medium being 2x the short and the long being 3x the short. So if your long run is 9 miles I tried to make my week 3-6-3-6-3-0-9 or something like that. Of course it never worked out quite that way and I kept my short and medium runs at 3 and 6 while I increased my long run to 15. If you are training for a 50 miler, find a plan that looks reasonable for you. The ones I looked at have back to back long runs every weekend with a few short/medium runs fduring the week.

Anyway, when it came to race day, I shaved 5 minutes off my PR and felt really good up until about 10 miles, the last 5k hurt. Had I hit the 30 mile per week mark more often, I imagine the last three miles would have been a bit easier.

Let us know what you decide to do for your plan and how it goes. I love hearing about what works for others.

Will keep you posted - haven't picked a specific plan yet and am just working on getting in some miles over the winter before starting to ramp things up in the spring. I have a marathon targeted in April to do basically as a supported training run, and then a self-supported 50K on a local trail after that. With kids sports during the winter, if I can keep my weekly mileage anywhere close to 20/week I'm going to be happy. Then I'll start upping it from there.

I appreciate everyone's feedback - I'm going to try and hang tough with the slow slogging pace in Z2 and think it will ultimately pay off.
2013-01-22 11:55 AM
in reply to: #4586911

Elite
Lakewood, CO

ransick - 2013-01-20 12:54 PM Isn't logging great? I never work out as much as I think I do. :-) For the six months before the half, I never ran 6x. Only ran 5x four times and only ran 4x four times and ran 3x 14 times. Not exactly practicing what I wrote in my previous post. I should really check my logs before I respond with what I thought I did. Sorry.

That is sooo  true for me also, I know what the plans call for, but I seldom remember how much I missed til I look back.

2013-01-22 11:56 AM
in reply to: #4587010

Elite
Lakewood, CO
sanhador - 2013-01-20 3:05 PM

some really nice aurora's I just had to go photograph last night - 

Do you post those anywhere???

2013-01-22 7:58 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2013-01-22 8:18 PM
in reply to: #4588093

Master
St. Louis
SpeedKnight - 2013-01-21 1:33 PM

Mind if I get in on this 1 year, 1000 miles thing?  Some half marathon training might help me, and vice versa!

From January 1, 2013 to now, I only have logged 30.79 miles.  That number will be increasing as I get closer to my half marathon, though.

Some long work days on the submarine (like all this week... 0800 - 2000 work days, plus a 24 hour shift Friday to Saturday of this week) will make it a rough go, but I'm in it!

The more the merrier!
2013-01-24 1:31 PM

Veteran
Raeford, North Carolina

...and I'm back! 

Work flow kept me away from running for almost two weeks but 13 consecutive 19-22 hour work days later, I can get back at it.

Looking forward to some rest tonight and some catching back up tomorrow!

2013-01-24 4:38 PM

Veteran
Coldfoot, Alaska

Ok. So I'm back. Did three miles today and thought I was going to die. I'm not sure I want to even see how far behind pace bunny I am. I planned on doing 4 miles but just couldn't. For many reasons, but mostly me. 

Yes I post my pictures - and a blog at www.imperfectramblings.wordpress.com

So here's to getting back up and doing it again!

2013-01-24 5:38 PM
in reply to: #4593166

Master
St. Louis
yeszir1 - 2013-01-24 1:31 PM

...and I'm back! 

Work flow kept me away from running for almost two weeks but 13 consecutive 19-22 hour work days later, I can get back at it.

Looking forward to some rest tonight and some catching back up tomorrow!

Wow! That's some seriously long hours.
2013-01-25 7:46 AM

Expert
Falls Church
I'm a slacker this week.  Only got in my Tuesday run.  Hoping to get a decent one in on Saturday.

2013-01-25 3:07 PM
in reply to: #4594060

Elite
Lakewood, CO

hoffsquared - 2013-01-25 6:46 AM I'm a slacker this week.  Only got in my Tuesday run.  Hoping to get a decent one in on Saturday.

I relate, I am trying to figure out how to get the next two runs in on my schedule when I don't really like either one of them, my body feels bleechh and I just don't want to do it tonight. (although they if I get both in, they would seriously catch me up to that PACE BUNNY)

2013-01-25 3:29 PM
in reply to: #4594938

Veteran
Coldfoot, Alaska
peto_primo - 2013-01-25 12:07 PM

(although they if I get both in, they would seriously catch me up to that PACE BUNNY)

That pace bunny is an evil sadistic little bugger isn't he? Cry

Ok, off to do my morning run/walk/thing. How many more weeks till I can go outside and get off the treadmill? Laughing

2013-01-25 8:49 PM
in reply to: #4594060

Master
St. Louis
hoffsquared - 2013-01-25 7:46 AM

I'm a slacker this week.  Only got in my Tuesday run.  Hoping to get a decent one in on Saturday.

X2
2013-01-25 10:43 PM

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Got myself out the door and did one of the two runs I am suppose to get in.  Now to do the other one on Sunday...
New Thread
Other Resources Challenge Me! » 1 year, 1000 miles Rss Feed  

of 27