General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What are the differences between OWS in a lake vs. ocean? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-01-15 5:52 PM
in reply to: #4575630

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: What are the differences between OWS in a lake vs. ocean?

Most of the ocean swims I've done in races are roughly triangular; occasionally more like three sides of a rectangle. Straight out and back is not typical. There's generally a part where you head out, either straight or at an angle, around a buoy or boat, then parallel to the shore for awhile, then another turn, and in to the finish, again either straigjt or at an angle. Olys are often 2 laps of a 750m course, but not always. I've done races where you swam almost 500m out to sea before turning. Paralleling the beach is a bit easier, assuming you can see the beach (which is a big assumption if you're a few hundred yards out to sea with waves), but you need to be able to breathe to both sides to deal with racing in either direction. Bilateral breathing is also very useful if the current is coming at you from one side, as you need to be able to breathe from the other side. Otherwise you will have to waste energy lifting your head to breathe.

2013-01-16 6:36 AM
in reply to: #4575630

For me, the big difference was the ocean currents and the jellyfish. When I would do ocean races when I was younger, there would be 2 start locations and we would find out right before the race which start location to go to.

I always loved the ocean and was afraid of lakes but now I like lakes. I came out of an ocean race once with jelly stings all over my body. Uncomfortable!

2013-01-16 11:13 AM
in reply to: #4580590

User image

New user
I would say you introduce a lot more variability in the ocean OWS than you do with the lake or river. I've done a few HIM swims in both fresh water and salt water. I had the misfortune of catching the 1.2 mile ocean swim on a day with rough conditions in the gulf, and nothing I had trained for could have prepared me for the chop/current/rolling etc. Granted, I never trained in the ocean and I'm sure the FLA natives would have been less affected. But there are other days that the ocean can be quite calm and you gain the added buoyancy. So, as with most things, it depends. Just need to assess your appetite for variability in the swim conditions. 
2013-01-16 2:27 PM
in reply to: #4580114

User image

Veteran
asheville, nc
Hot Runner - 2013-01-15 6:52 PM

Most of the ocean swims I've done in races are roughly triangular; occasionally more like three sides of a rectangle. Straight out and back is not typical. There's generally a part where you head out, either straight or at an angle, around a buoy or boat, then parallel to the shore for awhile, then another turn, and in to the finish, again either straigjt or at an angle. Olys are often 2 laps of a 750m course, but not always. I've done races where you swam almost 500m out to sea before turning. Paralleling the beach is a bit easier, assuming you can see the beach (which is a big assumption if you're a few hundred yards out to sea with waves), but you need to be able to breathe to both sides to deal with racing in either direction. Bilateral breathing is also very useful if the current is coming at you from one side, as you need to be able to breathe from the other side. Otherwise you will have to waste energy lifting your head to breathe.

Holy s#*%t!   Yea, I never anywhere close to that in a training swim.  50 tops maybe.  My wife would've crapped a chicken if i had done that.  I can how sighting would be problematic.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What are the differences between OWS in a lake vs. ocean? Rss Feed  

of 2