General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What are the differences between OWS in a lake vs. ocean? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-01-12 9:21 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: What are the differences between OWS in a lake vs. ocean?
Curious on how waves, salt water, fear of vast open space of the ocean, sharks, etc. affect your swim.  Both Positive/Negative.  Would love to hear from some Been-There-Done-That folks.  Thanks!  

2013-01-12 9:31 PM
in reply to: #4575630

User image

Expert
Marin County, California
Subject: RE: What are the differences between OWS in a lake vs. ocean?
I swim in the pacific ocean as my 'pool.' And when I lived in Germany the lakes were my 'pools.'

Big diff is that salt water has bouyency(sp?) It will naturally lift you in the water. It has currents, and these can be quite dramatic, as well as tide coming in and out which can be strong. Depending on which ocean you are questioning, or have a swim in, visibility can be clear or black. Also equilibrium can feel out of wack if you don't use ear plugs.

Lakes can get choppy to the point of white caps in high winds. But no tides or currents. If your used to salt water swimming it can feel 'heavy' at first.
2013-01-12 9:36 PM

User image

Regular
Georgetown, KY
I've never done it in a tri, but I LOVE swimming in the ocean... I grew up around it, so that may have something to do with it. The salt is going to keep you afloat a lot better than lake water, so you can rest your core a little bit. I've never been afraid of sharks, the few times I've seen them, they retreat as soon as they get close or I move towards them. Fear of sharks is over-rated IMO. What I am scared of is coral. Maybe they wouldnt have a race where you can reach it, but it will destroy your hands and ankles if you touch it, so swim the course a check before you go all out. Big waves could mess up your breathing, but i've never had the best form so i dont keep my head that low anyway.... (read: slow...)
2013-01-12 9:39 PM

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Ocean has bigger, stronger waves
2013-01-12 9:47 PM

User image

Regular

The taste...

...and those darned pesky tidal currents...

2013-01-13 6:17 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member

All of my tris except one have been tropical ocean swims. But in the summer my OWS is almost entirely in cold lakes.

*The same ocean can be very different depending on time of day or weather. More variability than in lakes. You might have flat water for a practice swim the day before, then high waves and strong current for the race, or vice versa. Conditions can even change between different start waves in a big race, or during a swim. In my opinion you need  better swim fitness and a higher OWS comfort level than for the same distance in a pool or lake to deal with this.

*Visibility varies just as in lakes. I have swum in everything from so black/opaque that I can't clearly see my fingers (Singapore) to pure blue where I could see tens of feet down (Hawaii, Indonesia). The former is generally harder to deal with mentally, but I also find it disconcerting where I can see a long way out to sea underwater (Hawaii); I try to keep looking straight ahead and not think about what might be incoming LOL.

*Most of my ocean tris have very little shark risk but there are jellyfish. I know I'm a bit more relaxed swimming in lakes because I don't have to think about them!

*Ocean waves/currents are generally bigger and more noticable. It's possible for the waves to be so high that sighting is difficult. Particularly annoying are strong onshore or offshore currents. The latter make it hard to get started; the former, hard to finish. Again, you need to be a stronger swimmer for the same distance to deal with this. Times tend to be slower despite buoyancy--I can do 1500m in 25 flat in a pool; my best ocean time is almost 3 minutes slower. Drafting can be VERY useful; if you are a good swimmer, people may quite aggressively try to draft off you--slapping your feet, swimming parallel for a long way, etc.

*As for vertigo, not sure. It affects some more than others, and the triggers may vary. I've done races in high surf where some swimmers were actually vomiting into support boats and the water (yuck) but felt fine myself, but uniformly get vertigo in lakes if not wearing earplugs. For me the trigger appears to be cold water rather than wave motion; for others this may be different. If you manage to swallow large quantities of salt water, it can be nauseating. In one race, I ended up retching in T1. Then again, I can think of some lakes that might cause that, too!

*If you haven't done it before, swimming out toward open ocean is mentally hard. When I lived in Hawaii and first did this when body-surfing, I panicked, even though I'm a strong swimmer. It takes getting used to. Normally not an issue in shorter or multi-lap races, but you can get pretty far from shore in a one-lap Oly or Iron-distance swim.

*In both types of swims, but much more for ocean swims, I find the best strategy is to just focus on getting to the next buoy in a straight line at a decent pace, rather than thinking about too much else.

Hope this is useful!

2013-01-13 7:11 AM

User image

Elite
All good info above. Let me put it to you this way. My toughest swim in competition came in a 500 m sprint with an outgoing current within a narrows bay. It was harder , and I came out of it gassed compared to my HIM in a lake earlier in the year.
2013-01-13 7:24 AM

User image

Chop and currents in the ocean. During the season I like to train in the ocean and compete in lakes.
2013-01-13 7:32 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Kobenhavns Kommune

Hmm

Waves and surf is more violent in the ocean, things can be choppy on big lakes, but in the ocean I had to sync my sighting to the waves in order to see the buoys. There are also more currents in the ocean.

Lakes can either be much colder if fed by melting water from nearby mountains, or much warmer because of low depth and still standing water. AFIAK ocean temperature is relatively more stable over the year.

Easier to find fix points for sighting in a lake, since they are all the way around.

The ocean is used as a dump, fortunately waste water is now cleaned most places and it dilutes more due to size. Local lake is easier to protect but depends on upstream rivers and things accumulate. Lakes are often more filled with algas making it a green soup, in the ocean you can actually see where you're swimming. 

It just feels different to swim in. Don't know if it's the salt and buoyancy but it's different. Salt irritates eyes, dryes your skin when you get out and tastes bad, but taking a sip replenish your electrolytes :P

Things that will like to eat you are surprisingly absent both in lakes and the ocean. The likelyhood of becoming shark dinner is infinitesimal, but look at the bright side, if that happens you will help saving an endangered species.

2013-01-13 7:38 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Lots of good stuff above, all true.

A lake swim will *feel* colder, even at the same temperature as the ocean.

Less chafing likely from wetsuit (or whatever you're swimming in, for that matter) in lake water.

2013-01-13 7:39 AM

User image

Expert
South Windsor CT
There is a huge difference.

Edited by CarlG 2013-01-13 7:40 AM

2013-01-13 9:35 AM
in reply to: #4575835

New user
Key West

CarlG - 2013-01-13 8:39 AM There is a huge difference.

Holy cow, if I saw that, I would just turnaround and call it a day. I was going to whine about the waves we dealt with yesterday at the Bone Island TRI where we had 20 mph winds and 3-4' waves, but that pales in comparison. That said, it was really hard to sight buoys and it wasn't a straightline course. The good thing was that, with the exception of swimming out against an incoming tide, we were going with the current. It is easy to get all in your head if you are not used to OWS, especially in the ocean, but if you have trained well, and go out for at least a few practice swims, you can get over that. I actually felt better yesterday with all the waves, etc., than I have in a long time in an OWS. Training was the key.

Edited by topolina 2013-01-13 9:36 AM
2013-01-13 9:50 AM

User image

Wow! I had no idea Tris are done in those conditions.
2013-01-13 10:27 AM

User image

Expert
I've done 15-20 tris with ocean swims and I have come to the conclusion that I hate swimming in the ocean, it freaks me out and I suck in every single ocean swim i have done! I have no issues with lakes or river swims, most times are consistent with my training but every ocean event my swim times suck!
2013-01-13 1:13 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
just to add, altitude can be a factor with lake swims, which can certainly muck with your endurance if you aren't used to it. Ocean swims, of course, are always at sea level.
2013-01-13 1:23 PM

The biggest difference is the horrible taste. You quickly learn to exhale through your nose and keep your mouth clamped firmly shut!

Another difference is abrasion. You need a lot more lubricant to keep from being chafed raw where your swimsuit or anything else rubs. Get someone else to apply it if possible - the last thing you want is vaseline or other lubricants on your hands when you're trying to adjust your goggles. Your eyes will burn if you get the salt water in them, so make sure your goggles are right before you get in. If you're a guy, shave before swimming, you don't want stubble rubbing against your shoulders in salt water.

For some reason polyester suits are slightly more abrasive than those made of lycra.

Salt water feels a bit warmer for the same temperature, for some reason. Not sure why.

2013-01-13 4:28 PM

User image

Given you were running tris in Texas....you can actually see other people.   Much easier to draft.
2013-01-13 4:39 PM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Besides the differences already mentioned, for me, I can get motion sickness in ocean waves.  It's rare that I do an ocean swim, but when I do, I take ginger pills to avoid chumming.

2013-01-13 5:43 PM

Depends on the lake. I've done some OWS in the Great Lakes that were every bit as rough as Bondi or Alcatraz. In contrast, Kona is in the ocean, but pretty tame.One big difference is that salt water chafes much more than fresh, so load up on the Body Glide.Buoyancy is better in salt water. I notice it when swimming in a suit, but not with a wetsuit on.Ocean currents tend to be much stronger, so sighting is critical.Even moderate waves make it much harder to see buoys and contribute to a sense of isolation. With the waves at Alcatraz, you can easily look up and feel like you are alone in the Bay, even though there are swimmers 10 feet from you.Ocean swims just feel more "epic" than lake swims. There aren't too many lake swims on people's "to do" lists.Don't worry about sharks (easier said than done). Any shark that gets near you is likely to be struck by lightening, since the odds of being hit by lightening are significantly greater than those of being attacked by a shark ;P.
2013-01-15 3:17 AM

User image

New user

I'm the opposite. I get 'The Fear' big time in Lake swims where I can't see the bottom. Something about deep dark water scares the beejezus out of me. Ocean swims don't bother me. I find my mind wandering and watching the fish.

Sharks? Meh! I used to Swim in the ocean in South Africa. Our local tri series race briefing here in Sydney, Australia contains these great words which scared me the first time I took part. Apparently the mollusc can slice off toes! I swim very early on!

"Two notes of caution:
• At the start - in the weed beds of the Bay lives a mollusk that has a sharp razor like lip. They do not live in the clear sand areas. Therefore ensure you are swimming before you cross any weed beds and do not wade through any weed beds.
• When exiting the water, please remain within the confines of the channel that is clearly marked and avoid walking or swimming over the rocks as the Botany Bay oysters are not friendly to bare feet or hands. Be careful."

2013-01-15 6:54 AM

User image

Mainly buoyancy.  I prefer salt water and a wetsuit.  I recall one lake swim when I decided to skip the wetsuit due to water temp.  I felt like I was sinking the whole swim.  I normally train in a pool, so maybe it was the absence of a line?!  Maybe because it felt different wearing a trisuit as opposed to just a swimsuit?  Don't know, but the next time I did that race, I wore a wetsuit.

2013-01-15 8:59 AM

User image

Veteran
Panama City, FL
Living in FLA, we swim in both- mostly gulf/ocean though. The more you do it, the better you feel. In OWS ocean, you can have current, roll, chop etc all at same time. In lake, (not talking about like Great Lakes etc) you might have some chop, but usually calmer overall. The lakes "taste better".  As for sealife etc, you just put that out of your mind and train with others and in a race, it's a non-issue. Sharks (so i'm told) are not interested in a thrashing group of 200-500 swimmers. The ones i've ever seen in clear waters of north FLA are scurring away. There are jellies from time to time and they can sting, but it's not a serious issue most of time.  Bottom line is it IS different that just swimming laps in pool. Get some practice in OWS and you will gain confidence.
2013-01-15 9:31 AM
in reply to: #4579097

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Guam
I prefer ocean OWS here in Miami.  I like the sea life in the ocean and the generally better viz of the ocean water as opposed to the lake waters.  I race in both and prefer the ocean OWS.  I train exclusively in the ocean.
2013-01-15 9:59 AM
in reply to: #4579097

User image

Veteran
asheville, nc

I've never done an ocean swim, but i have done some ocean swimming while on vacation.  I'm curious how the courses are typically set up.  Do they usually go straight out then turn and run parallel to the beach, or do they just head straight out and come back.  When I've practiced I've done the former and have been totally comfortable, since sighting is super easy since I can just look at the beach and as long as it's there I'm good.  But I could see it being a bit alarming to head straight out and come back.

2013-01-15 10:16 AM
in reply to: #4579214

User image

Extreme Veteran

Lake:

Stroke Stroke Breath Stroke Stroke Breath! (repeat as many times as u want

Ocean:

Stroke Stroke Water Stroke Breath Stroke trying Sight WhereTF am I? Stroke Stroke Wave WTF Breath

LOL

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What are the differences between OWS in a lake vs. ocean? Rss Feed  

of 2