Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2013-02-11 2:22 PM
in reply to: #4615078

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
Subject: RE: Swim etiquette?

Jeeze, folks.  Let's give it a break and move on.  

Mark

2013-02-11 3:11 PM
in reply to: #4617778

User image

Veteran
Redondo Beach, CA
BernardDogs - 2013-02-11 12:10 PM

duggar1 - 2013-02-11 3:05 PM
BernardDogs - 2013-02-11 8:09 AM
duggar1 - 2013-02-09 12:31 AM I'm so tired of putting up with people who want to share a lane, but can't seem to pull it off. I make it a point to get these people "straightened" out early on. You missed that opportunity when you said, "just try to stay to your side". She wasn't trying to not swim straight, she's an admittedly poor swimmer. This was your opportunity to agree with her and say ,"So, please, no more backstroke, and keep an eye out for me because I'll be doing a TT soon and you don't want to get your skull cracked open by causing another collision. Actually, you might want to share a lane with someone else today". She showed you no respect by swimming the way she did. You, unfortunately haven't learned how to remind people that you are not really sharing a lane, you are splitting a lane. When you split a lane you no longer have a nice roomy full sized lane to wander around it, you have a lane wide enough to swim in comfortably. If a person doesn't have the swim skills to properly split a lane, then they shouldn't do it. BTW, I would have yelled at her too. Although I wouldn't have focused on her messing up my TT time, but rather on her mental health and illegitimate canine lineage.

I'm actually worried that you're not being sarcastic.

If that's the case ... that you're being serious ... please stop calling yourself a triathlete. I really hate being defined by the least of my peers and you're fueling those who consider us all to be self absorbed d-bags.

I'm serious. 
Who says I wasn’t being sarcastic? Wait… was that you being sarcastic? Were you being sarcastic about me being sarcastic? And am I now being sarcastic about you having been sarcastic about my sarcastic remarks. Wait… were my remarks sarcastic? Am I being sarcastic now? Are you going to declare this whole thing to be sarcastic? This is really getting confusing. It would have been a lot easier just to stop calling myself a triathlete. Wait… did I call myself a triathlete? Oh no you don’t… don’t you get me start on this too…

You have a hard time accepting responsibility for over-reacting, don't you?

In this scenario, you're part of the problem. And you're puffing up your chest over the interwebs. Feel better?

Seriously ... your attitude gives the sport a bad rep. I wish you'd stop doing that. 

Your complete lack of a sense of humor has just disqualified you from the human race. Report to the stables to be fitted for a saddle, and from now on your shoes shall be nailed to your feet, ...err I mean hoves. This notice shall go out over all the interwebs.
2013-02-11 3:17 PM

Was either swimmer in the early stages of dementia?
2013-02-11 3:20 PM

User image

Master
Burlington, Vermont
Yeah ... it's my humor that's the issue here. We'll go with that.
2013-02-11 4:05 PM
in reply to: #4617919

Glad I don't have to share a lane!  I'd be the one getting yelled at!  I've only been swimming for 2.5 weeks now and pretty much started from scratch! 

I do work at a small university and we just opened a brand new pool this semsester!  This weekend was winter break and last night I had all 10 lanes to myself!

2013-02-11 4:21 PM
in reply to: #4617907

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho
duggar1 - 2013-02-11 2:11 PM
BernardDogs - 2013-02-11 12:10 PM

duggar1 - 2013-02-11 3:05 PM
duggar1 - 2013-02-09 12:31 AM I'm so tired of putting up with people who want to share a lane, but can't seem to pull it off. I make it a point to get these people "straightened" out early on. You missed that opportunity when you said, "just try to stay to your side". She wasn't trying to not swim straight, she's an admittedly poor swimmer. This was your opportunity to agree with her and say ,"So, please, no more backstroke, and keep an eye out for me because I'll be doing a TT soon and you don't want to get your skull cracked open by causing another collision. Actually, you might want to share a lane with someone else today". She showed you no respect by swimming the way she did. You, unfortunately haven't learned how to remind people that you are not really sharing a lane, you are splitting a lane. When you split a lane you no longer have a nice roomy full sized lane to wander around it, you have a lane wide enough to swim in comfortably. If a person doesn't have the swim skills to properly split a lane, then they shouldn't do it. BTW, I would have yelled at her too. Although I wouldn't have focused on her messing up my TT time, but rather on her mental health and illegitimate canine lineage.

If that's the case ... that you're being serious ... please stop calling yourself a triathlete. I really hate being defined by the least of my peers and you're fueling those who consider us all to be self absorbed d-bags.

I'm serious. 
Who says I wasn’t being sarcastic? Wait… was that you being sarcastic? Were you being sarcastic about me being sarcastic? And am I now being sarcastic about you having been sarcastic about my sarcastic remarks. Wait… were my remarks sarcastic? Am I being sarcastic now? Are you going to declare this whole thing to be sarcastic? This is really getting confusing. It would have been a lot easier just to stop calling myself a triathlete. Wait… did I call myself a triathlete? Oh no you don’t… don’t you get me start on this too…

You have a hard time accepting responsibility for over-reacting, don't you?

In this scenario, you're part of the problem. And you're puffing up your chest over the interwebs. Feel better?

Seriously ... your attitude gives the sport a bad rep. I wish you'd stop doing that. 

Your complete lack of a sense of humor has just disqualified you from the human race. Report to the stables to be fitted for a saddle, and from now on your shoes shall be nailed to your feet, ...err I mean hoves. This notice shall go out over all the interwebs.

Doug, At first glance you seem like kinda a tool.  But I wanted to give you the benefit of the doubt so I checked your logs....nothing there lately.  So I checked your race reports....you seem to have a nasty AND FREQUENT habit of blaming EVERYONE else for your lack of performance i.e slow riders, people holding you up in transition.  And EVERY SINGLE TIME you have some clever, demeaning name for these folks who have somehow 'slighted' you.  I wouldn't ever say it here on BT cuz that's forbidden, but I'm certainly thinking, personally mind you, that you may a DB.  (note- NO RED FONT INTENDED)

2013-02-11 4:35 PM

User image

Payson, AZ
I sure am glad this thread isn't turning into a bunch of personal assaults.  oh, wait...
2013-02-11 5:20 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho
Sorry, I was out of line.  Yell
2013-02-11 5:35 PM
in reply to: #4618079

User image

Veteran
Redondo Beach, CA
jeffnboise - 2013-02-11 3:20 PM

Sorry, I was out of line.  Yell

Well Jeff, then you are a better man than I. Congrates on slogging through my old race reports, they are rather lengthy. A true feat of endurance on your part. Probably why I stopped writing them. And I was running out of cleaver demeaning names to use.
2013-02-11 6:33 PM
in reply to: #4617773

User image

Pro
ChrisM - 2013-02-11 3:09 PM

duggar1 - 2013-02-11 12:05 PM

I'm serious. 

LOL, before anyone goes off on Doug, he's actually a really nice guy in person 

So is BernardDogs. Had a great time camping with him at IMLP last year. You gotta love the interwebz. Two perfectly decent grown men going off on each other when in person they'd be sharing a beer and having a chat.
2013-02-11 6:41 PM
in reply to: #4618151

User image

Elite
BrianRunsPhilly - 2013-02-12 11:33 AM
ChrisM - 2013-02-11 3:09 PM

duggar1 - 2013-02-11 12:05 PM

I'm serious. 

LOL, before anyone goes off on Doug, he's actually a really nice guy in person 

So is BernardDogs. Had a great time camping with him at IMLP last year. You gotta love the interwebz. Two perfectly decent grown men going off on each other when in person they'd be sharing a beer and having a chat.

i had a really heated discussion on another board on Sunday night - we were really both very heated!  We messaged after - best buddies gonna meet up in Cairns before IM!

What was really funny after about 3 hours we realised we were both pretty much saying the same thing just came at it different ways.  The other forum members were about to sell tickets!

2013-02-11 7:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Surprised this thread hasn't been deleted or locked down...

FWIW in my experience Nate is a good guy too.  I've been on here a while, and also met him briefly in person at a race last year.

Everyone can have a bad day.

2013-02-11 7:11 PM
in reply to: #4618184

User image

Master
Bedford, MA
wbattaile - 2013-02-11 8:00 PM

FWIW in my experience Nate is a good guy too.  I've been on here a while, and also met him briefly in person at a race last year.

Will,

Thanks for the support.

I just checked back in on this thread, and....wow! I guess I'm not the only one who needs to chill a bit.

I saw the lifeguard again at the pool and apologized again - she said that the swimmer that I collided with was in the wrong, but that I also overreacted a bit. Live and learn.

2013-02-11 8:18 PM
in reply to: #4618184

Master
Northern IL
wbattaile - 2013-02-11 7:00 PM

I thought he looked like an arrogant jerk there (just like on here) so completely ignored him.

2013-02-12 1:09 AM

User image

Regular
Madrid
Here's the thing. If its a public pool, all swimmers have the same rights to use the pool according to the pool rules. If its private, all members paid the same to have pool access and use it according to the same pool rules. Because someone is better or faster doesn't give one person more rights than any other person. That said, since people swim at different levels, when you see a beginner use the opportunity to politely suggest proper swimming ettiquette. In other words teach them. In the end everyone benefits.
2013-02-12 2:59 AM

User image

Wichita

Not that I have all that much recent experience sharing lanes, but I do understand your frustration.  I do think you over-reacted, just as I have in the past.  Last fall I was sharing a lane (he joined me in the lane) with someone who would randomly stop mid-length and tread water effectively taking the entire lane.  I could tell he was an inexperienced swimmer and I gruffly told him to get out of the lane if he was going to continue in such a manner.  Afterwards I felt bad about how I said it, but I think I was in the right for saying something.

When I join someone in a lane or they join me I always talk to them and establish how we are going to share the lanes: split or rotate...  This gives me a chance to establish expectations and gain an understanding of how "vigilant" I need to be.

--Flare

2013-02-12 5:27 AM
in reply to: #4618192

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by Fred D 2013-02-12 5:28 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim etiquette? Rss Feed  

of 3