General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim etiquette? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2013-02-08 4:45 PM

User image

Master
Bedford, MA
Subject: Swim etiquette?
Today at the pool I shared the lane with someone who, let's just say, had a very hard time swimming straight. To top that, she thought it was wise to mix in some backstroke - if you can't go straight while looking forward what's going to happen when you can't see where you are going? During my warmup she ended up on my side of the lane twice and I bumped into her. At one point when we were both at the end of the pool she said she wasn't a good swimmer. I kindly said something like "well, just try to stay to your side." The main set included a 500TT swim for time, and right in the middle I slammed right into her. She was literally on the lane line on my side attempting back stroke. Upset, I yelled, "I'm doing a f-ing TT!" swimming around her. Apparently she was so flustered that the lifeguard had to jump in. I finished up the TT, but would you have done that? If one can't swim straight in the first place, how can you tell them kindly to not try backstroke? I know we've all been beginners, and if I wasn't doing a TT I probably wouldn't have been so peeved. I did apologize to her and the lifeguard for getting upset, but she didn't say anything in response.

2013-02-08 4:53 PM
in reply to: #4615078

User image

Elite
Cleveland
Subject: RE: Swim etiquette?

The "I'm doing a f-ing TT!" probably meant absolutely nothing to her.  From her perspective, it was just some guy yelling at her because he is really intense about something called a "TeePee" or something.  Once you knew that she wasn't a good swimmer, and you had to mention "try to stay to your side", you kinda should have known that this was likely to happen and perhaps you should have adjusted your expectations for the day.

In the end, it's JUST a workout.  

2013-02-08 4:54 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

You overreacted....BIG TIME!

Since when does a early season TT outweigh common human courtesy.  She wasn't a good swimmer-I get that, but she meant you no ill will.  Perhaps YOU could have changed lanes.   Just my .02

2013-02-08 4:57 PM
in reply to: #4615087

User image

Master
Salt Lake City
cgregg - 2013-02-08 2:53 PM

The In the end, it's JUST a workout.  

So true, although after running headlong into someone on the complete wrong side of a swim lane halfway through an important set I don't think I'd be able to keep that in perspective either.

2013-02-08 4:59 PM

User image

There are a lot of threads similar to this but this is the first time someone's been so wrong (in my opinion)

But you apologised afterwards so you know you were wrong?

I didn't think your first line of 'just try to stay to your side' covered you in glory either.  That was a good time to put her at ease and for you to reassess whether this was the best moment to start swimming as hard as you could for a few minutes.

Swearing at someone feeling vulnerable in that situation is not cool at all.  If I'd have been the life guard I'd have asked you to leave.

2013-02-08 5:25 PM

User image

Champion
marietta

natethomas2000 - 2013-02-08 5:45 PM Today at the pool I shared the lane with someone who, let's just say, had a very hard time swimming straight. To top that, she thought it was wise to mix in some backstroke - if you can't go straight while looking forward what's going to happen when you can't see where you are going? During my warmup she ended up on my side of the lane twice and I bumped into her. At one point when we were both at the end of the pool she said she wasn't a good swimmer. I kindly said something like "well, just try to stay to your side." The main set included a 500TT swim for time, and right in the middle I slammed right into her. She was literally on the lane line on my side attempting back stroke. Upset, I yelled, "I'm doing a f-ing TT!" swimming around her. Apparently she was so flustered that the lifeguard had to jump in. I finished up the TT, but would you have done that? If one can't swim straight in the first place, how can you tell them kindly to not try backstroke? I know we've all been beginners, and if I wasn't doing a TT I probably wouldn't have been so peeved. I did apologize to her and the lifeguard for getting upset, but she didn't say anything in response.

Does Steve actually read posts of yours? 

edit.. to be clear, i think the posters above me are dead on about you narcissistic overreaction.  i'm simply just wondering if you coach understands your train of though during your workout.  if not, he needs to address that. 

Edited by fattyfatfat 2013-02-08 5:28 PM

2013-02-08 5:47 PM

User image

You probably did yourself a favor by choosing to vent here on the internet rather than to somone you know in person.

2013-02-08 5:52 PM

User image

Champion
marietta

this gets better.

your blog says you're a teacher.  (wow)

so you can show this thread to your students as an example of what not to do. as in real life and on the internet.   

2013-02-08 5:57 PM

Veteran
Not to pile on, but that's a terrible over reaction. Your exercise routine doesn't take priority over hers. Yeah so she is a beginner. We have all been there. Like the poster above said, I would have just tried to give her some reassurance and adjusted my workout routine if there wasn't another lane for me to move into. Remember, we do this for health and fun. I'm sure you are stressed with all the really tough training you have been doing lately, but just try and remember to have fun and be courteous to the newbies around you
2013-02-08 7:49 PM
in reply to: #4615175

User image

Master
Bedford, MA
In hindsight, my reaction was a poor one. I was too focused on my workout - hopefully I'll learn from this.
2013-02-08 7:57 PM
in reply to: #4615257

User image

Regular
Huntington Beach, CA

I can understand your frustration and am also glad you vented here.

What I'm not getting in all of these swimming threads is why is it surprising that you are going to collide?   If I am sharing a lane I am always on the lookout for anyone I might collide with, even when sharing with my husband and we were both competitive swimmers in high school and have circle swam or split lanes for years.  Yes the plan is to stay on your side, but I always keep checking out the view slightly ahead ensuring that I stay out of the other's swimmer's way - same as I'm watching the lane line looking for the end to see the wall coming up. 

2013-02-08 7:57 PM

User image

Elite
Wrong but you made me laugh! If u got a TT set planned and your sharing with a less than straight swimmer abandon that do some drills enjoy your swim move on. Poor woman!!!
2013-02-08 7:58 PM

User image

Expert
McAllen

If it helps any I gave someone a minor concussion my sophomore year of high school. I was told to do backstroke starts, did a nasty start and somehow ended up in a different lane than when I started from and kept going (goggles filled up). Got yelled at by an upper classman. Ouch. My pride.

Swimming is a contact sport, but not many people understand that concept!!

It happens.

Edited by odpaul7 2013-02-08 8:01 PM
2013-02-08 8:03 PM

User image

Pro

Stuff I see posted on here makes me very happy with my pool. We have a lot of very good swimmers (not me!) and we do move around to accommodate each other. It might be because it's a smallish pool and it's primarily the same people at the same times, but I've noticed that it's a lot more polite and organized than when I swam at the college pool.Twice in the past week I've been part of moving around lanes to help keep it going. We have no lifeguard.

That being said, I don't think I'd attempt a 500TT unless I had a lane to myself. Even the most polite of swimmers bump. It's inevitable.

2013-02-08 8:23 PM

User image

Champion
marietta

natethomas2000 - 2013-02-08 8:49 PM In hindsight, my reaction was a poor one. I was too focused on my workout - hopefully I'll learn from this.

good on you for owning it. that doesn't happen much in internet land. 

we all get hyped at some point.  our challenge is to turn it around into something positive.  you teach, so you know how to do this, even for someone doing backstroke in your lane. 

steve won't give you this secret.. but i will.  crush a few beers the night before your next 500tt.  ;-)

2013-02-08 9:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
2 wrongs don't make it right. You over reacted and she's clueless. I have people who are clueless to swim etiquette in my lane. I let things go as much as possible.

2013-02-08 9:11 PM
in reply to: #4615271

User image

Veteran
Great White North
BrianRunsPhilly - 2013-02-08 8:03 PM

Stuff I see posted on here makes me very happy with my pool. We have a lot of very good swimmers (not me!) and we do move around to accommodate each other. It might be because it's a smallish pool and it's primarily the same people at the same times, but I've noticed that it's a lot more polite and organized than when I swam at the college pool.Twice in the past week I've been part of moving around lanes to help keep it going. We have no lifeguard.

That being said, I don't think I'd attempt a 500TT unless I had a lane to myself. Even the most polite of swimmers bump. It's inevitable.

^^^^ This is so true, and getting used to a little bit of contact is good preparation for OW & mass start races.
2013-02-08 9:17 PM
in reply to: #4615267

User image

Veteran
Great White North
I took out a girl in doing a prerace sprint at a meet warm up. I was doing Fly and she was doing backstroke, she went on my coaches "go". I helped her out and her coach looked after her. It was completely her fault but I was still shaken up.
2013-02-08 10:13 PM

User image

Pro
Dude....you KNEW she couldn't swim straight.  What were you thinking?  And then you yelled, "I'm doing an f-ing TT".....as if anyone cares?  That's awesome! 
2013-02-08 11:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Redondo Beach, CA
I'm so tired of putting up with people who want to share a lane, but can't seem to pull it off. I make it a point to get these people "straightened" out early on. You missed that opportunity when you said, "just try to stay to your side". She wasn't trying to not swim straight, she's an admittedly poor swimmer. This was your opportunity to agree with her and say ,"So, please, no more backstroke, and keep an eye out for me because I'll be doing a TT soon and you don't want to get your skull cracked open by causing another collision. Actually, you might want to share a lane with someone else today".

She showed you no respect by swimming the way she did. You, unfortunately haven't learned how to remind people that you are not really sharing a lane, you are splitting a lane. When you split a lane you no longer have a nice roomy full sized lane to wander around it, you have a lane wide enough to swim in comfortably. If a person doesn't have the swim skills to properly split a lane, then they shouldn't do it.

BTW, I would have yelled at her too. Although I wouldn't have focused on her messing up my TT time, but rather on her mental health and illegitimate canine lineage.
2013-02-09 1:11 AM
in reply to: #4615394

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

duggar1 - 2013-02-08 9:31 PM I'm so tired of putting up with people who want to share a lane, but can't seem to pull it off. I make it a point to get these people "straightened" out early on. You missed that opportunity when you said, "just try to stay to your side". She wasn't trying to not swim straight, she's an admittedly poor swimmer. This was your opportunity to agree with her and say ,"So, please, no more backstroke, and keep an eye out for me because I'll be doing a TT soon and you don't want to get your skull cracked open by causing another collision. Actually, you might want to share a lane with someone else today". She showed you no respect by swimming the way she did. You, unfortunately haven't learned how to remind people that you are not really sharing a lane, you are splitting a lane. When you split a lane you no longer have a nice roomy full sized lane to wander around it, you have a lane wide enough to swim in comfortably. If a person doesn't have the swim skills to properly split a lane, then they shouldn't do it. BTW, I would have yelled at her too. Although I wouldn't have focused on her messing up my TT time, but rather on her mental health and illegitimate canine lineage.

You forgot the sarcasm font.  Ahh, I hope?!?

2013-02-09 3:12 PM
in reply to: #4615262

User image

theresa_nelson - 2013-02-08 3:57 PM

I can understand your frustration and am also glad you vented here.

What I'm not getting in all of these swimming threads is why is it surprising that you are going to collide?   If I am sharing a lane I am always on the lookout for anyone I might collide with, even when sharing with my husband and we were both competitive swimmers in high school and have circle swam or split lanes for years.  Yes the plan is to stay on your side, but I always keep checking out the view slightly ahead ensuring that I stay out of the other's swimmer's way - same as I'm watching the lane line looking for the end to see the wall coming up. 

Your approach works fine if you're just swimming.  But if the OP is trying to do a TT, it makes no sense for him to degrade his TT performance by constantly looking out for other swimmers.  Hence...he probably should have waited for another time to do his TT.

2013-02-09 4:35 PM
in reply to: #4615394

Veteran
Hoosier heartland

duggar1 - 2013-02-08 11:31 PM I'm so tired of putting up with people who want to share a lane, but can't seem to pull it off. I make it a point to get these people "straightened" out early on. You missed that opportunity when you said, "just try to stay to your side". She wasn't trying to not swim straight, she's an admittedly poor swimmer. This was your opportunity to agree with her and say ,"So, please, no more backstroke, and keep an eye out for me because I'll be doing a TT soon and you don't want to get your skull cracked open by causing another collision. Actually, you might want to share a lane with someone else today". She showed you no respect by swimming the way she did. You, unfortunately haven't learned how to remind people that you are not really sharing a lane, you are splitting a lane. When you split a lane you no longer have a nice roomy full sized lane to wander around it, you have a lane wide enough to swim in comfortably. If a person doesn't have the swim skills to properly split a lane, then they shouldn't do it. BTW, I would have yelled at her too. Although I wouldn't have focused on her messing up my TT time, but rather on her mental health and illegitimate canine lineage.

Yes, please make sure all sarcastic comments are in red font.  

To the OP.   Who was in the lane first?  I usually try to get in a lane with someone who swims a similar speed.  If you observed her to be a beginner swimmer, than you should have moved lanes if at all possible.  Perhaps she should have moved. I don't know.  In any event,  everyone has a right to swim and workout in a safe environment.   We can't assume that our workouts are going to be perfect.  As in life, we must adjust to changes and be respectful to one another.  Good on you for recognizing you overreacted.   

2013-02-09 4:57 PM

User image

Ashland

Have you considered anger management? Let's face it, if she's a beginner she probably doesn't even know what a TT is.

I think this was a great opportunity for you to practice staying cool under pressure. Cause you probably wasted some valuable energy getting so worked up. 

Consider some mindset strategies so when things don't work as planned on race day, you have the skills to deal with it. 

2013-02-09 10:13 PM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
I would only do a TT swim if I was the only one in the lane, unless it was during masters swim or the person was near my swim pace. If you see that person again I would apologize once more. Then she'd know you meant it.Good open water swim activity though
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim etiquette? Rss Feed  

of 3