General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim etiquette? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2013-02-10 7:03 AM
in reply to: #4615078

User image

Lenoir
Subject: RE: Swim etiquette?
The lifeguard should not get a pass on this, he should have addressed the eratic swimming and asked the lady to lap swim correctly or get out.  It doesn't make the overreaction ok, but the situation could have been avoided.

2013-02-10 3:01 PM

User image

Time trial in a public pool is about as smart as the guys on bikes who try to Strava the local jogging paths.

2013-02-10 3:30 PM
in reply to: #4615367

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs

Left Brain - 2013-02-08 11:13 PM Dude....you KNEW she couldn't swim straight.  What were you thinking?  

Yup. I've been in similar conditions and moved lanes or changed my workout. Not gonna get a good TT sharing a lane with a meanderer.

2013-02-10 4:36 PM

Nate, I applaud you for realizing you didnt handle this to well.  We all take things to seriously sometimes, me included.

Made me think of this.  Cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgnS9bmP_qw

2013-02-10 5:06 PM
in reply to: #4615087

User image

Expert
Floriduh
cgregg - 2013-02-08 4:53 PM

In the end, it's JUST a workout.  

This is exactly why I don't get too structured in my swim workouts, it is difficult to judge what the pool conditions will be.  In the summer the outdoor pool down the street from me has friendlier hours and there are only a few regulars there so I have yet to hit any "issues".  But during the winter I am relegated to my gym's indoor pool and the myriad of poor swimmers who frequent the pool.  Had a guy get in my lane today and start walking down the center of the lane.  Was on kickboard so no biggie and when I got down to the same end he got out of the pool.  I can't figure people like that out but happens often enough that I just can't get to bent out of shape about it.

2013-02-10 5:46 PM
in reply to: #4615257

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada

natethomas2000 - 2013-02-08 5:49 PM In hindsight, my reaction was a poor one. I was too focused on my workout - hopefully I'll learn from this.

Good on ya for coming back to this thread with your second post.  Look at it as a 'teachable moment'  ....

We all  have off days....

2013-02-10 6:54 PM
in reply to: #4616483

User image

chris948 - 2013-02-10 11:01 AM

Time trial in a public pool is about as smart as the guys on bikes who try to Strava the local jogging paths.

You know that you can easily search for those segments and flag them as dangerous.

2013-02-10 8:21 PM
in reply to: #4616589

User image

Bronze member
triosaurus - 2013-02-10 5:46 PM

natethomas2000 - 2013-02-08 5:49 PM In hindsight, my reaction was a poor one. I was too focused on my workout - hopefully I'll learn from this.

Good on ya for coming back to this thread with your second post.  Look at it as a 'teachable moment'  ....

We all  have off days....

Agree.

I swim in the a.m. most days when there is only one lap lane available. I share with water walkers (even though the whole pool is doing water aerobics), a guy with a snorkel, a lady giving swim lessons etc. A smile and how are you today can go a very long way. Also a little warning like - hey I'm going to start a really hard set so please excuse me in advance. I don't always see what is in the lane when I'm racing the clock but I promise not to take up much room!

I understand your frustration but I feel like a lot can be accomplished in these circumstances with just a little communication.

I've had my moments too though. There is a lady at my pool who always gets the water volleyball net out 5 min early. So everyone has to duck under the net because she just leaves it hanging the water stretched all across the pool until water aerobics is over and volleyball can start. No warning or heads up just look out - here comes the net. Now I've been swimming here for 5 years so I know the routine and usually duck under in time but one day a couple of weeks ago I was swimming a 400 TT and this was 3rd in a series. Here comes the net, I didn't see it in time, got all tangled and I'm sure the frustration on my face was obvious. My fault for not paying attention but I REALLY did not want to start that 400 again!!!

2013-02-10 8:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

The best thing I think you can say after a crash is  "Are you okay?"  Any thing else you have to say should follow that.  Someone could actually be hurt.  It might even give you the 5 seconds you need to collect your thoughts.

If I bash hands with someone- I don't stop my set, but the next time we're both taking breathers I do say sorry about hitting you.  Usually people are very nice. 

2013-02-10 8:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley

Yeah you overreacted just a bit.

I have only had this happen to me once a few weeks ago.  This teenage girl was trying to swim but had little understanding of the mechanics of the freestyle.  After a collision because she strayed way over to the wrong side I stopped my workout to see if I could help her.  I guess the dad in me (and former swim instructor) overrode the annoyance.

I gave her a few pointers and a few times when I stopped I would offer encouragement.  I think she went way out of her way to NOT get in my way again.  I am sure it would not work all the time but in this instance a kind word did wonders for the situation.

2013-02-11 5:09 AM

User image

Elite
OMG tonight at masters two older people in the lane good enough swimmers kept their fins on to keep up all good but swam down the centre of the lane I have so many bruises on my knuckles from collisions! Coach said its good training for racing . I didn't shout at anyone but after the first 500m I stopped getting out if their way and just crashed!!!

2013-02-11 6:10 AM
in reply to: #4615271

User image

Regular
BrianRunsPhilly - 2013-02-08 9:03 PM

Stuff I see posted on here makes me very happy with my pool. We have a lot of very good swimmers (not me!) and we do move around to accommodate each other. It might be because it's a smallish pool and it's primarily the same people at the same times, but I've noticed that it's a lot more polite and organized than when I swam at the college pool.Twice in the past week I've been part of moving around lanes to help keep it going. We have no lifeguard.

That being said, I don't think I'd attempt a 500TT unless I had a lane to myself. Even the most polite of swimmers bump. It's inevitable.

Brian - I am with you 100%.  I swim at an 8 lane YMCA and usually I am the youngest one there (I'm 43).  I'm not the fastest swimmer in the world, but most of the people around me are older people doing all kinds of strokes slowly.  I think because we are all there around the same time, we "know" each other and what to look out for.  If someone is in my lane, I am aware of them until they pass and then the same coming back.  Even being so careful, we occasionally bump and move on. 

2013-02-11 6:51 AM
in reply to: #4615257

User image

Veteran
Northern Illinois

I would have guessed from some of your other posts and from this one that you were a kid. I read your blog and see that you are in the 35-39 age group and a teacher. You really need to get some perspective. You are an age-group triathlete. You do understand that to 99% of the world that means nothing? Dropping f-bombs at a woman in a public place, wow you are a real piece of work.

Instead of "venting" on here why don't you replay what happened to your class and see what your students think of your behavior?

2013-02-11 7:25 AM

Way over top reaction. i could not imaging cursing at someone because the interupted my workout.

That being said I think it is in poor etiquette to attempt back stroke when you can't swim straight and you are sharing the lane with a stranger.

2013-02-11 10:09 AM
in reply to: #4615394

User image

Master
Burlington, Vermont
duggar1 - 2013-02-09 12:31 AM I'm so tired of putting up with people who want to share a lane, but can't seem to pull it off. I make it a point to get these people "straightened" out early on. You missed that opportunity when you said, "just try to stay to your side". She wasn't trying to not swim straight, she's an admittedly poor swimmer. This was your opportunity to agree with her and say ,"So, please, no more backstroke, and keep an eye out for me because I'll be doing a TT soon and you don't want to get your skull cracked open by causing another collision. Actually, you might want to share a lane with someone else today". She showed you no respect by swimming the way she did. You, unfortunately haven't learned how to remind people that you are not really sharing a lane, you are splitting a lane. When you split a lane you no longer have a nice roomy full sized lane to wander around it, you have a lane wide enough to swim in comfortably. If a person doesn't have the swim skills to properly split a lane, then they shouldn't do it. BTW, I would have yelled at her too. Although I wouldn't have focused on her messing up my TT time, but rather on her mental health and illegitimate canine lineage.

I'm actually worried that you're not being sarcastic.

If that's the case ... that you're being serious ... please stop calling yourself a triathlete. I really hate being defined by the least of my peers and you're fueling those who consider us all to be self absorbed d-bags.

I'm serious. 
2013-02-11 10:21 AM
in reply to: #4615394

User image

Veteran
asheville, nc

duggar1 - 2013-02-09 12:31 AM I'm so tired of putting up with people who want to share a lane, but can't seem to pull it off. I make it a point to get these people "straightened" out early on. You missed that opportunity when you said, "just try to stay to your side". She wasn't trying to not swim straight, she's an admittedly poor swimmer. This was your opportunity to agree with her and say ,"So, please, no more backstroke, and keep an eye out for me because I'll be doing a TT soon and you don't want to get your skull cracked open by causing another collision. Actually, you might want to share a lane with someone else today". She showed you no respect by swimming the way she did. You, unfortunately haven't learned how to remind people that you are not really sharing a lane, you are splitting a lane. When you split a lane you no longer have a nice roomy full sized lane to wander around it, you have a lane wide enough to swim in comfortably. If a person doesn't have the swim skills to properly split a lane, then they shouldn't do it. BTW, I would have yelled at her too. Although I wouldn't have focused on her messing up my TT time, but rather on her mental health and illegitimate canine lineage.

Wow.  So, what you're saying is the person who joined her lane should've, not so politely, told her to move to another lane so you could have it to yourself.  Glad you don't share my gym. 

Then you would've yelled at a beginner swimmer and accused them of being mentally challenged and descended from dogs?  Would you use that same behavior towards a muscular 6'4", 220 pound man? or is this just internet chest pounding?

2013-02-11 10:53 AM
in reply to: #4616642

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
tri808 - 2013-02-10 7:54 PM
chris948 - 2013-02-10 11:01 AM

You know that you can easily search for those segments and flag them as dangerous.

That would just invite more people

2013-02-11 11:16 AM
in reply to: #4616786

User image

Master
Livonia, MI
Moonrocket - 2013-02-10 9:49 PM

The best thing I think you can say after a crash is  "Are you okay?"  Any thing else you have to say should follow that.  Someone could actually be hurt.  It might even give you the 5 seconds you need to collect your thoughts.

If I bash hands with someone- I don't stop my set, but the next time we're both taking breathers I do say sorry about hitting you.  Usually people are very nice. 

x2, this was my first thought.  Here you are just doing a LEISURE activity, and you don't care that someone could be hurt regardless of who was at fault for the collision?

I'm glad the OP recognized his over-reaction after the fact.

Patience people.  It's arrogant to think you're big important workout is more meaningful than someone else's form of exercise or leisure activity.  They don't care any more about your big race than you do about their aqua jogging, crookedly attempting to learn a stroke or water aerobics.

The right thing to do in this situation is to kindly explain why it's important for each person to stay on his or her side of the lane and maybe extend some assistance.  For all you know this is her first time sharing a lane and she's a total newbie to swimming.  It's one thing if someone knows and understands the rules and is being blatantly disrespectful; it's quite a another if someone is just new and learning about the dynamics of the pool swim.

2013-02-11 11:25 AM
in reply to: #4617454

User image

Veteran
noelle1230 - 2013-02-11 12:16 PM

The right thing to do in this situation is to kindly explain why it's important for each person to stay on his or her side of the lane and maybe extend some assistance.  For all you know this is her first time sharing a lane and she's a total newbie to swimming.  It's one thing if someone knows and understands the rules and is being blatantly disrespectful; it's quite a another if someone is just new and learning about the dynamics of the pool swim.

Agree! And like another poster said, sometimes you just have to be flexible with your workouts. If I am alone in my lane I'll add in some butterfly and mess around but if the pool is crowded, I stick to mostly freestyle and (straight) backstroke.

But at least you know you overreacted. It's super frustrating to be interrupted during a TT. You don't want to start over because you're already fatigued. It was a suck situation all around.

2013-02-11 12:44 PM
in reply to: #4615367

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Left Brain - 2013-02-08 10:13 PM Dude....you KNEW she couldn't swim straight.  What were you thinking?  And then you yelled, "I'm doing an f-ing TT".....as if anyone cares?  That's awesome! 

x 1billion.

Verbal assault is so cool! Undecided

2013-02-11 2:02 PM
in reply to: #4617373

User image

Veteran
Redondo Beach, CA
RookieIM - 2013-02-11 8:21 AM

Wow.  So, what you're saying is the person who joined her lane should've, not so politely, told her to move to another lane so you could have it to yourself.  Glad you don't share my gym. 

Then you would've yelled at a beginner swimmer and accused them of being mentally challenged and descended from dogs?  Would you use that same behavior towards a muscular 6'4", 220 pound man? or is this just internet chest pounding?

You really need to read slower or something before you go off on someone. Nowhere does it say the OP joined her lane. Who got there first was never established. But somehow you’ve come to believe that. Your bad.

Next, I didn’t advise the OP to “tell” her to move to another lane, just that it “might” be the safer thing for her to do. Your bad.

Also the level of “politeness” you’ve assumed here is strictly your interpretation of my words. You’ve taken “sternness” and ratcheted it up to “rudeness”. Your bad.

Extrapolating the suggestion to swim respectfully to mean I would just be trying to have the lane all to myself is just plain old verbal fabrication. I don’t think anyone here has yet accused the OP of trying to get the lane to himself. Your bad.

Was it ever established that the poor woman was a beginner swimmer? No, just a rude, reckless and inconsiderate swimmer. Again, your bad.

I accused her of “being mentally challenged”? Actually “crazy” was the word I was leaving clues to. “Descended from dogs”??? (How very middle-eastern of you in that interpretation) OK I guess I went over-board on combining illegitimate lineage and female canine lineage (the female part was implied). Maybe I should have gone with the less gender-specific insult of illegitimate lineage, resulting in the yelling part of the final mid-pool collision something like, “Watch where you’re going, you crazy ba$-tard!” My bad.

And finally, are you trying to say that a 6’4”, 220 pound man would do violence to me if I used all this behavior, you have made-up, toward him? Is that what you would have done? Well, there you go again, ratcheting up the facts to make your point. Once more, your bad.

So I guess it is a good thing I don’t share your gym with you. I’d be too tired from constantly correcting your misunderstandings and misinterpretations of everything being said around you to get in a decent workout.

2013-02-11 2:05 PM
in reply to: #4617346

User image

Veteran
Redondo Beach, CA
BernardDogs - 2013-02-11 8:09 AM

If that's the case ... that you're being serious ... please stop calling yourself a triathlete. I really hate being defined by the least of my peers and you're fueling those who consider us all to be self absorbed d-bags.

I'm serious. 

Who says I wasn’t being sarcastic? Wait… was that you being sarcastic? Were you being sarcastic about me being sarcastic? And am I now being sarcastic about you having been sarcastic about my sarcastic remarks. Wait… were my remarks sarcastic? Am I being sarcastic now? Are you going to declare this whole thing to be sarcastic? This is really getting confusing. It would have been a lot easier just to stop calling myself a triathlete. Wait… did I call myself a triathlete? Oh no you don’t… don’t you get me start on this too…
2013-02-11 2:09 PM
in reply to: #4617763

User image

duggar1 - 2013-02-11 12:05 PM

I'm serious. 
Who says I wasn’t being sarcastic? Wait… was that you being sarcastic? Were you being sarcastic about me being sarcastic? And am I now being sarcastic about you having been sarcastic about my sarcastic remarks. Wait… were my remarks sarcastic? Am I being sarcastic now? Are you going to declare this whole thing to be sarcastic? This is really getting confusing. It would have been a lot easier just to stop calling myself a triathlete. Wait… did I call myself a triathlete? Oh no you don’t… don’t you get me start on this too…

LOL, before anyone goes off on Doug, he's actually a really nice guy in person 

2013-02-11 2:10 PM
in reply to: #4617763

User image

Master
Burlington, Vermont

duggar1 - 2013-02-11 3:05 PM

I'm serious. 

You have a hard time accepting responsibility for over-reacting, don't you?

In this scenario, you're part of the problem. And you're puffing up your chest over the interwebs. Feel better?

Seriously ... your attitude gives the sport a bad rep. I wish you'd stop doing that. 

2013-02-11 2:22 PM
in reply to: #4617063

User image

Master
Sidney Porter - 2013-02-11 7:25 AM

Way over top reaction. i could not imaging cursing at someone because the interupted my workout.

That being said I think it is in poor etiquette to attempt back stroke when you can't swim straight and you are sharing the lane with a stranger.

Pretty much this. 

Though I'd add breaststroke, as well, as even those old lady heels hurt like the dickens when they get you. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim etiquette? Rss Feed  

of 3