Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Little lessons learned the hard way..... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-02-25 2:22 PM
in reply to: #4636165

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
Subject: RE: Little lessons learned the hard way.....
trigal38 - 2013-02-25 1:26 PM
mrbbrad - 2013-02-25 11:00 AM
trigal38 - 2013-02-23 2:04 PM

, 30 min later she has finally done it herself and we can go home. 

30 minutes? It's none of my business, but since your posted it....

Why in the world would you spend 30 minutes dealing with this?

Tell her to do it herself. She refuses, tell her again.
She refuses again. Give her one more chance; do it or x will happen.
She doesn't do it, then x happens.

I'm all about giving kids the opportunity to be independent, but they also must learn about consequences for their actions. It's not giving up or giving in if you do it for her with consequences. It may take a few times, but if you are consistent with follow through, she'll get the message. She'll learn to do what you ask her to do because she'll learn that if she doesn't she will have to deal with consequences that are at least less pleasant than doing the thing you wanted her to do.

What is your suggestion of X? I'm not challenging you or being snarky. I actual welcome other suggestions.

I'm not surprised at questioning the time and that is not something I typically have time for myself. It's hard to explain without living in the house but sometimes my daughter brings us to a crossroads and I have to stand firm.

I know my daughter and I know the only way for us to move past this obstacle that we encounter several times a day (buckling herself) is to help her realize she can do it herself. And if it takes 5 min or 30 is irrelevant to me - that choice is hers.

To me this was the appropriate consequence - Mommy is not doing it for you. What she wanted more than anything was for me to do it and then guess where we are again tomorrow? So if I say buckle your seat belt or I'm going to start taking your toys away when we get home (as a different example of consequences not suggesting this is what you had in mind) then how is that relevant to overcoming this obstacle in the future? This was the day to face this issue and take it down. 

Since the fit she has buckled her own seat belt every time we go somewhere with no screaming and yesterday told me I don't need help, I can do it myself. Her overall behavior during other day to day tasks has also improved. So what is 30 min in the grand scheme of things?

X could be anything that works for you and your family: time out, restrictions, confiscations, etc. It could also be positive reinforcement whereby she earns something extra. Both positive and negative reinforcement have their place, though standing in the cold and wet while she dug in her heels would have warranted a negative from me

My kids are old enough to be the parent of your daughter so I may bit a bit old school; the difference between 5 mins and 30 mins was very relevant to me and was not up to the choice of the child.

2013-02-25 2:33 PM
in reply to: #4636460

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
juniperjen - 2013-02-25 2:22 PM
tuwood - 2013-02-25 3:17 PM

Please don't take any of this as critical of you as a parent, but this is an easy fix.  It takes time and patience, but it is easy.

First off, you have to realize that your child is acting this way because you are letting her act this way.  I know you're rolling your eyes at me now, but hear me out.  Children from the earliest ages push our boundaries and they train us to act a certain way.  For example, when infant baby is in the crib, baby cries, mom comes in.  aha, if I cry mom will show up so I'm going to cry a lot more.  Next thing you know mom is complaining because baby cry's all night long and she can't figure out why. 

It's no different as they get older.  If I don't want to do something I'm going to throw a tantrum, and it gets me what I want.  When it starts to not get me what I want I will just throw a bigger tantrum until I do get what I want.  What you've described sounds like this behavior.

Kids will continue to test you no matter how old they are and depending on how you react to the test determines how they will act and treat you in the future.  If you buckle at the little test, then the next test is a little harsher, and so on and so on.

OK, now how to fix this.  As Dr. Phil would say you have to know your child's currency.  There is something that is important to her.  TV, dolls, McDonalds, whatever that is.  You have to inform her that their behavior is unacceptable and if they don't stop they lose X for a period of time.  Then when they don't stop you HAVE to follow through with zero exceptions and it has to be something that is painful to them.  You have to be 100% consistent on this so don't make the punishment unrealistic such as no TV for a year because you're not going to follow through with that.

Personally we believed in corporal punishment which is admittedly a much easier approach.  You stop screaming or you're gonna get a spanking.  Count to three and whammo.  OK, keep freaking out and you'll get another spanking.  Count to three and whammo.  Sooner or later this approach works very well.  I'm not saying you have to spank your child, but you have to come up with consequences that are unpleasant and they have to be consistent so they know you mean it.

My kids are 18, 16, and 14 now and have pretty much given up on testing us because they know our kung fu is strong and they will lose every time.

There's good stuff there - though, I thought she already showed that she understood her childrens' currency in her previous post - her daughter doesn't respond to having things taken away while that would have worked for her son - so here the best course was patience and making her do it herself which was the goal. So, it took some time?

I would counter that she hasn't found her currency yet.  If you take something away and it has no effect then it's not the currency.

For example my daughter has a huge social life and always wants to go outside with her friends, but my son's were more introverts and wanted to play on their xboxes or watch TV.  My daughter would get grounded so she couldn't go outside and we would ground our boys by making them go outside and play or take their xboxes away.  total different currencies.

2013-02-25 3:00 PM
in reply to: #4636483

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
tuwood - 2013-02-25 3:33 PM
juniperjen - 2013-02-25 2:22 PM
tuwood - 2013-02-25 3:17 PM

Please don't take any of this as critical of you as a parent, but this is an easy fix.  It takes time and patience, but it is easy.

First off, you have to realize that your child is acting this way because you are letting her act this way.  I know you're rolling your eyes at me now, but hear me out.  Children from the earliest ages push our boundaries and they train us to act a certain way.  For example, when infant baby is in the crib, baby cries, mom comes in.  aha, if I cry mom will show up so I'm going to cry a lot more.  Next thing you know mom is complaining because baby cry's all night long and she can't figure out why. 

It's no different as they get older.  If I don't want to do something I'm going to throw a tantrum, and it gets me what I want.  When it starts to not get me what I want I will just throw a bigger tantrum until I do get what I want.  What you've described sounds like this behavior.

Kids will continue to test you no matter how old they are and depending on how you react to the test determines how they will act and treat you in the future.  If you buckle at the little test, then the next test is a little harsher, and so on and so on.

OK, now how to fix this.  As Dr. Phil would say you have to know your child's currency.  There is something that is important to her.  TV, dolls, McDonalds, whatever that is.  You have to inform her that their behavior is unacceptable and if they don't stop they lose X for a period of time.  Then when they don't stop you HAVE to follow through with zero exceptions and it has to be something that is painful to them.  You have to be 100% consistent on this so don't make the punishment unrealistic such as no TV for a year because you're not going to follow through with that.

Personally we believed in corporal punishment which is admittedly a much easier approach.  You stop screaming or you're gonna get a spanking.  Count to three and whammo.  OK, keep freaking out and you'll get another spanking.  Count to three and whammo.  Sooner or later this approach works very well.  I'm not saying you have to spank your child, but you have to come up with consequences that are unpleasant and they have to be consistent so they know you mean it.

My kids are 18, 16, and 14 now and have pretty much given up on testing us because they know our kung fu is strong and they will lose every time.

There's good stuff there - though, I thought she already showed that she understood her childrens' currency in her previous post - her daughter doesn't respond to having things taken away while that would have worked for her son - so here the best course was patience and making her do it herself which was the goal. So, it took some time?

I would counter that she hasn't found her currency yet.  If you take something away and it has no effect then it's not the currency.

For example my daughter has a huge social life and always wants to go outside with her friends, but my son's were more introverts and wanted to play on their xboxes or watch TV.  My daughter would get grounded so she couldn't go outside and we would ground our boys by making them go outside and play or take their xboxes away.  total different currencies.

Well, the desired outcome happened ... buckling her own seatbelt.  It took more time than she would have liked and got to go through full meltdown but the lesson was learned, it appears from the OP.  But given the post at the top of page 2, it was addressed and is now a non-issue

Unless the main issue is that the daughter didn't want to go home and was delaying and that behaviour be addressed.  But the daughter still didn't get what she wanted in either case as they were in the van and not inside with grandma.  Mom having the patience to not just do it for her was the big thing. 

2013-02-25 3:19 PM
in reply to: #4634302

User image

Expert

I had some knock down dragout fights when my son was little.  The consequence was that the little girl had to buckle her own seat belt. Mom didn't give in. A fantastic natural consequence. 

I will give some of the best unsolicited advice I ever got. I am a mom and a primary teacher. I use "1-2-3 Magic" (great book)  in my classroom" and I used it with my son when he was little. That spelled the end of the showdowns. 

2013-02-25 3:41 PM
in reply to: #4636582

Master
Houston, TX
KateTri1 - 2013-02-25 3:19 PM

I will give some of the best unsolicited advice I ever got. I am a mom and a primary teacher. I use "1-2-3 Magic" (great book)  in my classroom" and I used it with my son when he was little. That spelled the end of the showdowns. 

Agreed on 123. Gearboy recommended that one to me a year ago or so.  I use it.  My wife does not.  There is a big difference between behaviors with me and her.

2013-02-25 4:18 PM
in reply to: #4636582

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
KateTri1 - 2013-02-25 4:19 PM

I had some knock down dragout fights when my son was little.  The consequence was that the little girl had to buckle her own seat belt. Mom didn't give in. A fantastic natural consequence. 

If letting her do "it" herself no matter how long it takes or what the cost to others is also part of the desired outcome then I'd agree. IMO, letting it drag out for 30 minutes is not optimal, nor desired. Oh, and get off my lawn!

2013-02-25 4:50 PM
in reply to: #4635220

User image

Austin, Texas or Jupiter, Florida

BloomingRunner - 2013-02-24 7:05 PM

You story reminded me of this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ycoXiEDBZk

Hang in there mom!

I needed to see this today. 

It is funny when it's someone else's kid.

2013-02-25 5:06 PM
in reply to: #4636694

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
GomesBolt - 2013-02-25 4:50 PM

Hang in there mom!

I love the top comment:
I don't want to judge other people's parenting styles, but this is just awful. ? Why is he forcing her to lift a bowl that is OBVIOUSLY WAY TOO HEAVY FOR HER TO LIFT?!?!? What kind of monster is this guy?

2013-02-25 5:13 PM
in reply to: #4636707

User image

Austin, Texas or Jupiter, Florida
tuwood - 2013-02-25 5:06 PM

Hang in there mom!

I love the top comment:
I don't want to judge other people's parenting styles, but this is just awful. ? Why is he forcing her to lift a bowl that is OBVIOUSLY WAY TOO HEAVY FOR HER TO LIFT?!?!? What kind of monster is this guy?

My kids try to say "My arms are too tired." 

I usually find out how tired their arms are.  If they can block a thump on their head, then their arms aren't too tired to pickup their toys...

Then there's water.  Gabriel Iglesias does a whole routine about how "Kids don't like getting wet when it's not their idea, Squirt them!" 

We've tried that when our daughter is just melting down about changing out of her pajamas on the weekend. 

"Don't want to change out of your pajamas? ok, how about now that they're cold and wet?"

2013-02-25 5:39 PM
in reply to: #4636711

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
GomesBolt - 2013-02-25 5:13 PM
tuwood - 2013-02-25 5:06 PM

Hang in there mom!

I love the top comment:

My kids try to say "My arms are too tired." 

I usually find out how tired their arms are.  If they can block a thump on their head, then their arms aren't too tired to pickup their toys...

Then there's water.  Gabriel Iglesias does a whole routine about how "Kids don't like getting wet when it's not their idea, Squirt them!" 

We've tried that when our daughter is just melting down about changing out of her pajamas on the weekend. 

"Don't want to change out of your pajamas? ok, how about now that they're cold and wet?"

lol, I think your parenting style is similar to mine.

I've got some stories...

2013-02-25 7:14 PM
in reply to: #4636660

User image

Bronze member
mrbbrad - 2013-02-25 4:18 PM

If letting her do "it" herself no matter how long it takes or what the cost to others is also part of the desired outcome then I'd agree. IMO, letting it drag out for 30 minutes is not optimal, nor desired. Oh, and get off my lawn!

I was the only person impacted by how long it took and I wanted her to do it herself more than I cared about how long it took.

Now, I will concede another option could have been to buckle her myself so I could get home with the understanding that when we got there she was going to have to practice buckling all by herself and she could not play until she finished but I didn't have a script so I just did what I thought was best at the time. 

2013-02-25 7:55 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
There's no one right way, but the thing is, consistency is really important when you're training...oops I mean raising kids. It's unlikely that in every case where your daughter has a similar meltdown you're always going to have the luxury of waiting her out for a half hour. In this case, no one but she was impacted by the 30-minute tantrum, so you let her drag it out. What happens the next time she does the same thing when you've got to be somewhere in ten minutes? You won't be able to let her yell and scream for thirty minutes again and so you'll have to deal with it more stringently. You're saying to her "Sometimes I'm going to let you scream for as long as it takes, sometimes I'm not." IMO, better to get her used to the more efficient solution.
2013-02-25 8:45 PM
in reply to: #4636660

User image

Expert
mrbbrad - 2013-02-25 5:18 PM

Get off your what?

30 minutes today... Mom held her ground.. and prolly it won't take thirty minutes next time. It's called "testing limits".

I agree that it's really good to have a consistant behavior system so one is rarely brought to the point of winging it. That's why I suggested "One Two Three Magic".  It's an extremely consistent way to handle those situations and keep the parent in control of the outcome. 

I am not a proponent of smacking your kid or pouring water on them... You will get nothing but seething resentment from them. they won't learn a lesson.. kids are too selfish. All one gets with that is short term (possibly) compliance, and long term potential mistrust. 

2013-02-25 9:33 PM
in reply to: #4636890

User image

Bronze member

jmk-brooklyn - 2013-02-25 7:55 PM There's no one right way, but the thing is, consistency is really important when you're training...oops I mean raising kids. It's unlikely that in every case where your daughter has a similar meltdown you're always going to have the luxury of waiting her out for a half hour. In this case, no one but she was impacted by the 30-minute tantrum, so you let her drag it out. What happens the next time she does the same thing when you've got to be somewhere in ten minutes? You won't be able to let her yell and scream for thirty minutes again and so you'll have to deal with it more stringently. You're saying to her "Sometimes I'm going to let you scream for as long as it takes, sometimes I'm not." IMO, better to get her used to the more efficient solution.

So summing up the consensus from the men in this thread, I am inconsistent, and don't understand my own daughters "currency".

Got it.

I'm not going to get into what will you do when because obviously the more I try to explain the more I am told I am wrong, or some other issue is brought up. I'm kind of tired of being judged at this point and I really understand that I opened myself up for criticism by starting the thread so no need to point that out.

As I've tried to explain, the bigger issue to me was that she perform the task, not even because I said so but because she can. That she see herself as a capable person/child/individual. And if it takes kicking and screaming for her to see her own abilities then so be it. This is the biggest issue we face on a daily basis which I'm pretty sure I outlined in the original post with the explanation of her belief that she can't write her letters or complete a puzzle etc. Her ability to tell time is not a goal at this point and she did not really have a concept of how much time had passed. She still calls today tomorrow and everything that happens in the past was "last night".

So since the tantrum just on this day alone she has - completed 4 puzzles without my help, colored pictures for her aunts, uncles, cousins and wrote all of their names by herself, worked on adding numbers and wrote the numbers by herself, chose toys to play with that she could manage independently while I was on the trainer and when she picked something that was too hard and needed me to help instead of having a tantrum she put that toy down and chose another.

So you can tell me I'm wrong all you want. I know the truth, you have an opinion.

2013-02-26 6:04 AM
in reply to: #4636983

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
trigal38 - 2013-02-25 10:33 PM

So summing up the consensus from the men in this thread, I am inconsistent, and don't understand my own daughters "currency".

Got it.

I'm not going to get into what will you do when because obviously the more I try to explain the more I am told I am wrong, or some other issue is brought up. I'm kind of tired of being judged at this point and I really understand that I opened myself up for criticism by starting the thread so no need to point that out.

As I've tried to explain, the bigger issue to me was that she perform the task, not even because I said so but because she can. That she see herself as a capable person/child/individual. And if it takes kicking and screaming for her to see her own abilities then so be it. This is the biggest issue we face on a daily basis which I'm pretty sure I outlined in the original post with the explanation of her belief that she can't write her letters or complete a puzzle etc. Her ability to tell time is not a goal at this point and she did not really have a concept of how much time had passed. She still calls today tomorrow and everything that happens in the past was "last night".

So since the tantrum just on this day alone she has - completed 4 puzzles without my help, colored pictures for her aunts, uncles, cousins and wrote all of their names by herself, worked on adding numbers and wrote the numbers by herself, chose toys to play with that she could manage independently while I was on the trainer and when she picked something that was too hard and needed me to help instead of having a tantrum she put that toy down and chose another.

So you can tell me I'm wrong all you want. I know the truth, you have an opinion.

My son is only 19 months old, so Trigal you have more experience than I in the parenting world, but the best piece of advice I ever recieved in regards to raising your kids was that they are your kids, you are the parent and whatever way you choose to do things is the right way for your kids.  No one else can tell you how to do things for your daughter.  Hopefully everyone else in this thread was just sharing their opinions and none of it was meant to overly critique your quality of parenting or anything of the sort.  Have a great day!

2013-02-26 11:23 AM
in reply to: #4636947

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
KateTri1 - 2013-02-25 9:45 PM
mrbbrad - 2013-02-25 5:18 PM

30 minutes today... Mom held her ground.. and prolly it won't take thirty minutes next time. It's called "testing limits".

My limit is significantly less than hers.

2013-02-26 12:59 PM
in reply to: #4636267

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Another thing I'm not missing by not having kids.

What if you prepare and just wait it out?  Have a coat in the car and of course I have my kindle on my phone.  Just shut them in the car and tell them we are not going anywhere until it's done?  Just sit on the curb and read while they scream and scream?

2013-02-26 1:03 PM
in reply to: #4637668

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Ok, and what's the problem of just buckling the belt for her and just going?  Just making a point?  Or is there a fear that by doing that, they will think they have control and have you doing everything for them?  BTW, aren't you doing just about everything for them anyway?

As someone else said, won't it be quickly the time when they want to do EVERYTHING themselves anyway as they learn their own independence?

Not sure who just giving in to go is detrimental to development.

I guess I would stand my ground at a point it's more comfortable for ME to stand my ground.  Not wet and cold and shivering.  and 30  minutes?  I would be scolding WAY before that, me thinks.  Like 5 - 10 TOPS.

Edited by Kido 2013-02-26 1:04 PM
2013-02-26 2:30 PM

User image

Expert
jim. cute. lol
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Little lessons learned the hard way..... Rss Feed  

of 2