General Discussion Race Reports! » 16th Annual Independance Day Duathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

16th Annual Independance Day Duathlon - Duathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Coconut Creek - Tradewinds Park, Florida
United States
Multi-race
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 25m 2s
Overall Rank = 226/226
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I woke up at 4am, took a shower, prepared my water bottles, my bag, my bike rack, and headed out the door. The hour or so drive from Miami to Coconut Creek was very nice. During the drive I ate a peanut butter granola bar. Wasn't really hungry. Once I arrived, I set up my transition and then headed for the bathroom! This bathroom issue is one of the parts I hate the most about this. Uugghh!
Event warmup:

I walked/jogged from the bathroom to the start, and also stretched my legs.
Run
  • 37m 30s
  • 2 miles
  • 18m 45s  min/mile
Comments:

I started off the run w/ a light jog, but quickly stopped and walked the rest of the way. My legs from the knee down were very tight and I had to stop once to stretch them out. I very quickly fell behind everyone else, and realized it would be a lonely race. Before I even arrived at mile 1 the leaders were on the way back. As the rest of the pack passed me by, several cheered me on, which made me feel good. My legs were still very stiff, but felt better during mile 2. I soon had my first of several thoughts of quitting. My legs were hurting, I was dead last, what was the point anyway? But I always fought this off w/ appreciating the nice view, and my mantra of the day, "you can do this." I repeated this over and over again. I thought of my fellow BTer, Dana, who finished her first IM this year. If she can do that, then I can do this.
What would you do differently?:

I would train for the event.
Transition 1
  • 01m 20s
Comments:

Transition was easy and smooth. I don't use bike shoes yet, so I just changed my cap to my bike helmet, drank some water, and hopped on out of T1. I am last... and people cheered me on as I arrived into and out of T1. I was actually doing this crazy thing!
Bike
  • 1h 04m 51s
  • 10 miles
  • 9.25 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike ride was hard for me. I was a bit pumped from the transition and started off faster than normal for me. But I didn't train for this event, and I was uncomfortable on the bike. My upper body became fatigued. It seemed like the course went on and on and on... but not because it was boring. It was a very scenic ride. I was just too uncomfortable and tiring. I came pretty close to giving up twice, and was seriously considering stopping once I finished the first lap of the bike ride. I thought of my fellow BTers again, this time "oliveview" and "MimiR98" and "cadreamer" and "misanthropic" all popped into my head at different times. If these women can do this, then so can I. I thought about how badly did I want this. And that it took getting through the discomfort to come out the other side victorious! All the while my elbows are hurting, my back is fatigued, my hips and thighs are tired... I stopped to drink some water and stretch my legs. Some fellow competitors passing me by cheered me on and specifically said, "don't give up now, you've come this far." I guess it was just what I needed to hear because I finished the first lap and started on the 2nd lap. This last lap was pretty hard. I slowed my pace a lot. It was sheer determination that got me threw this ride. Mind over matter. Miraculously I had made it. I did not give up.

Train properly. Get re-fitted to my bike.
Transition 2
  • 01m 40s
Comments:

As I approached the transition, I saw everyone was already finished w/ the race, and here I was starting the run. I was soooooo last! But I went on w/ the business of finishing this thing. Getting off the bike, my legs felt like spaghetti. As I started out of transition, I got a lot of cheers and this felt sooooo good.
Run
  • 39m 41s
  • 2 miles
  • 19m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

Once I got started, I could see my legs were going to be hurting. Oh my god what was I doing!!!! Then two women who had just finished the race a while ago, came up behind me and announced they were going to finish the race w/ me. I could hardly believe my eyes! This pair of tri-buddies were like angels sent from heaven! They were Patty (who wore pig-tales and who sang the national anthem at the start of the race, and who pointed out every butterfly she saw), and Laurie (who looked much younger than her 50-something years, and had been doing this for 20 years). They chatted the whole way through, taking my mind off my legs and the discomfort, and the tiredness. Patty sang the "triathlete song" which was so unbelievably cute and funny, and just what I needed to hear. I didn't know we had a song! For goodness' sake we have our own song! Anyway, it wasn't until after I had half a mile left that I said outloud, "I'm really going to finish this thing" and Patty and Laurie said yes you are. This quirky pair was my reward for not giving up. I jogged the last few yards to the finish line, and got a round of cheers and applause. Two overall winners made a point of approaching me to congratulate me! I felt pretty good.

Train properly.
Post race
Warm down:

Didn't really warm down. I should've stretched, but I'm only now thinking about it.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My weight, and lack of training.

Event comments:

I am this much closer to truly, being a triathlete. On to the next event... which will be next month.

Last updated: 2006-05-15 12:00 AM
Running
00:37:30 | 02 miles | 18m 45s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/226
Performance: Good
Course: The course was flat, and very scenic. This is a beautiful park. There were butterflies everywhere!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 01:20
Overall: Good
Run with bike?
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes:
Biking
01:04:51 | 10 miles | 9.25 mile/hr
Performance: Below average
Wind: Little
Course: Nice scenic course, w/ a couple of light slopes. I can't say enough of how beautiful this park is. The bike ride passed by the equestrian center, and this lovely little train for children.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:40
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:39:41 | 02 miles | 19m 50s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-07-04 10:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Miami, FL
Subject: 16th Annual Independance Day Duathlon

2006-07-05 8:49 AM
in reply to: #473752

Master
Boston
Subject: RE: 16th Annual Independance Day Duathlon
What a great RR!! I wish I would have decided to do this race so I could have seen you out there! You should be very proud of yourself for hanging in there and finishing! You will be ready for your first tri coming up soon. Keep up with the training- you're doing great!
2006-07-05 9:09 AM

User image

Elite
South Florida

Congratulations!  That took a lot of motivation to finish the race.  How cool that those ladies came out to finish with you. 

You took my place this year - I was DFL at the same event last summer.  Last year it was at some industrial park in Sunrise - it was so ugly.  I was riding through empty parking lots and watching the finishers drive home while I was still on my bike.   Tradewinds is pretty - it is a much better place for a race.  Which tri are you doing next month?  I'm considering doing one of the Key Biscayne ones but I haven't been training so I'd be pretty slow!

2006-07-05 11:47 AM

User image

Master
Virginia Beach, VA
Great job sticking with it and finishing your race!! Congrats!
2006-07-05 6:50 PM

User image

Master
Keller Tx
Great job finishing.  Better yet, great job finding the motivation to keep going.
2006-07-05 8:06 PM
in reply to: #473939

User image

Extreme Veteran
Miami, FL

GatorGirl22 - 2006-07-05 9:49 AM What a great RR!! I wish I would have decided to do this race so I could have seen you out there! You should be very proud of yourself for hanging in there and finishing! You will be ready for your first tri coming up soon. Keep up with the training- you're doing great!

Thanks Lisa.  My first tri will be on Aug. 27th.  I can't wait.

2006-07-05 8:10 PM
in reply to: #473967

User image

Extreme Veteran
Miami, FL
MomX3 - 2006-07-05 10:09 AM

Congratulations!  That took a lot of motivation to finish the race.  How cool that those ladies came out to finish with you. 

You took my place this year - I was DFL at the same event last summer.  Last year it was at some industrial park in Sunrise - it was so ugly.  I was riding through empty parking lots and watching the finishers drive home while I was still on my bike.   Tradewinds is pretty - it is a much better place for a race.  Which tri are you doing next month?  I'm considering doing one of the Key Biscayne ones but I haven't been training so I'd be pretty slow!

I'm doing the one on Key Biscayne on 8/27.  Come'on Amy... it would be great to do my first tri w/ a fellow BTer.  It would be great to schedule a ride now and then too.  What'dya say?

2006-07-06 11:50 AM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA

Congrats on finishing that is awesome!

As far as discomfort on the bike, you should just ride, ride, ride - and maybe you are resting too much of your weight on your handlebars.  I used to do this when I first started riding and had the same issues as you.  Just something to think about.

You did it!

2006-07-07 10:23 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northeast Ohio

what a great race report!  Thanks for reminding me that finishing DFL is nothing to be ashamed of.

I'm really proud of you for sticking with it.  Way to go!

Debi

2006-07-09 6:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Way to go Cari!!  I am so happy for you!!
2006-07-09 7:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Waterboro, Maine
Inspiring race report for anyone who thinks of giving up or quitting (don't we all have those thoughts?)

And what is the triathlon song?

2006-07-11 12:12 PM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Congratulations on sticking it out and finishing!!! Woohoo! Go Go Go Go!

-Frank
2006-07-13 8:37 PM

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin
Congrats! I will think of your inspriational story and your wonderful finish as I compete in my first triathlon on July 23rd. Just remember, anything you set your mind to you can do!

Congrats again!
2006-07-16 4:40 PM

User image

Master
South Florida
I'm so proud of you Cari!!!!  YOU DID IT!  I knew you could.  I just knew it.  I'm so sorry I couldn't be there to support you the way you supported me...just as I was having thoughts of quitting myself.  You're awesome.  Way to go. 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 16th Annual Independance Day Duathlon Rss Feed