General Discussion Race Reports! » North Carolina Triathlon Series Race #9 - Triangle Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

North Carolina Triathlon Series Race #9 - Triangle - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Morrisville, North Carolina
United States
Set-Up, Inc.
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 19m 25s
Overall Rank = 172/552
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 26/93
Pre-race routine:

This race was an interesting one. Denise and I both set alarms for around 4:30. Her's never went off. Mine has got that weekday/weekend type setting on it. I forgot to turn it to weekend. LOL! Thank God I'm a paranoid sleeper the night before a race. I woke at 5:10 and stayed calm while I muttered a few curses. heh heh. The kids mysteriously got ready quickly and I had packed the car the night before (which I don't normally do), so we did good.

Ate French Vanilla yogurt and some canteloupe at about 5:30. Race start was at 7:38. Gatorade during the 50 min drive.
Event warmup:

As we're walking in with the bike, there's WakeMan doing his run warmup. He's looking to be in peak form! Packet picket, chip pickup, TA setup. All smooth. Ran into Stake, Chippy, and Fit, NickinNC, ChrisHughes. Stake looks awesome by the way. Again - grats on CDA!

Ran about a 1/2 mile. Gelled with 30 mins to go - washed down with water. Grabbed my NEW goggles and said a little prayer for my old ones which are still probably tumbling around in the Kure Beach surf along with about 40 other pairs. heh heh. Swim warmup was about 300y. Started with 200 easy. Then about 100y of drills, then sighting practice, then a few sprints. By then, it was time to go. Woot!
Swim
  • 11m 14s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 22s / 100 yards
Comments:

Another good swim. Knocked a few seconds off of last year. Got front and center at the start. Last couple of swims, I've been a little less aggressive in the swim taking the first 200y at a moderate to heavy pace. This time, I went for it and hit the pacing hard to get some distance from the rest of the pack. Found some feet on the way out to the buoy. Started running into the wave that went off in front of us. I swam over one person (sorry to whoever that was)

This lake was NASTY. In every sense of the word. A week or so before the race, they had heavy rains and sewage backups. The lake water was tested right after that and the results came back ok, but somehow I wonder about all that. It was like swimming in iced tea (warm iced tea). There was about a 3 inch visibility. lol. So I'm on my way out to the turn buoy and I'm really concentrating on my breathing and not getting a drop of water in my mouth. 5 mins in, I turn and inhale a HUGE ASS mouthful of water. So, My next thought is that I just drank some shit. I start cursing to myself under the water and coughing on my exhales to clear the little bit of water in my windpipe. Then, a brilliant thought came to me - right in the middle of the swim. I thought to myself - the doctors office always swabs your skin with alcohol to kill any germs right before they inject you with something. I'm going to use the alcohol method to clean up the system after the race. Muah ha ha.

Got a few more passes in at the end of the swim - though someone actually passed me with about 100y to go.

My only other strong memory of the swim end was as I was exiting the water, I literally heard someone say - look - that guy actually looks happy - he's smiling. And yes. I was having fun. Right before I crossed the mats, I saw the family there and got a high five from Sammy! I had a great cheering section!!!!!

Hey - its a new personal best for the swim segment. Gotta be happy with that. Came out of the water running and feeling good.
What would you do differently?:

My rotation on the breathing stroke was awkward feeling. Especially when I was breathing every 2. I need to work on this in the pool a little more - especially on the speed sets.
Transition 1
  • 01m 3s
Comments:

This is one of the biggest NCTS races with around 1100 people. I had a pretty decent spot in the middle of the TA. My T1 time absolutely kicks ass. I still need to learn how to tie up my shoes with bands and leap onto the bike. But, that's it - I've got the rest down. I figure the bands would save me about 10-15 more seconds perhaps. Personally, I need to work on other parts of my game before this becomes a pressing issue.

As I was exiting T1, there was the clan cheering me on again. They're sooo awesome.

Tie up the shoes - mount on the fly.
Bike
  • 43m 35s
  • 15 miles
  • 20.65 mile/hr
Comments:

BTW - the bike course cannot be 15 miles. Mandy had it at 13 and some change. Last year the Garmin had around 14. Its so damn hilly, there's no way I did anything close to 20 mph.

I have such a sweet setup on the bike, yet I suck soooooo bad. I'm not doing my wheels and bike any justice. The bike was grueling this year for some reason. I burnt up the legs going up the hills. It truly was a brutal experience for me.

I was determined to have fun - said hi to a couple of cops and thanked them for their help.

I keep trying to figure out what is different this year than last year. I'm on the same frame, but have a disc on the back and a 50mm rim on the front. I keep coming back to the extra weight I'm carrying this year (171 lbs vs. 163) and the lack of consistent saddle time from all my travelling. Is that realistic? Or is there something else?

Well, I can do something about the weight, but the saddle time is kind of screwed right now with the travelling. Get back to my 163 lb prime. lol.
Transition 2
  • 01m 6s
Comments:

Awesome T2. Not often that my T2 is actually longer than my T1. Had feet out of shoes earlier this year - last year I got screwed up and was running to T2 barefoot on one foot, shoe on the other. Approached the dismount line standing on one pedal and took off running without coming to a full stop. The crowd could actually hear my thighs screaming. I didn't overhear anyone saying - wow-that guy looks happy. He's actually smiling. ROFL!

The family was there cheering me as I got back. I was too busy avoiding stepping on rocks in my bare feet to look up. Undid the helmet strap during the run to the bike rack. Put the bike in the rack, helmet off, shoes on in the same motion. I've learned that you can save a few seconds by staying bent over when you're putting your shoes on instead of standing up in between shoes. I can now go sockless for up to 10k, so threw on the shoes and grabbed a hat and race belt and put them on while running out the exit. Got some more Sammy high-fives and cheers from the rest of the family.

Great T2. Wouldn't change a thing.
Run
  • 22m 28s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

I was so happy to be off my bike. Felt pretty good until mile 2 when the right quads were gradually complaining more and more. The walk demons were closing in fast - that's when this guy passed me. He had that runners build and stride. Real smooth looking and he calls my name out as he goes by me. The brain wasn't really firing on all cylinders at that moment and it took a few steps to realize that NickinNC (Nick) passed me....and he was looking STRONG! He got me thinking about my own form and I tried to hang with him as long as I could. It was enough of a distraction and motivation that I stopped thinking about how bad the legs felt. I reached a point where I was on the last uphill before the finish and started my kick right in the middle of that hill. The family cheered me in at the finish, but Nick got me from mile 2 to mile 3.1. Thanks bro.

From an age group standpoint, I'm surprised at my ranking. I'm normally right in the middle of the pack. This was a nice finish from my perspective. I'm worried about my legs though. It seems like whenever I run, my legs really hurt bad the first 2 miles. I'm not sure if its scarring or knots in there, but it seems like its taking an awful long time for the legs to settle down - not just in racing, but in every training run I do. Maybe I should look into some massage therapy or ART? Don't know, but last year, I could run 10+ miles with no problem. Now, I'm lucky if I can get in 6.

Figure out the muscular issues. Get the legs right. They just feel downright trashed.
Post race
Warm down:

First priority after every race is to get hugs from the family. :) They were awesome out there and helped me get through the race. Gave the lake water/alcohol cleanout some additional though. We hung out with fit and Stake. Got to see Chippy come into T2!!! I don't remember her exact words, but it went something like - "What the fuck are you doing done?". LOL! She's awesome. I then got to see Chippy and Stake play Hide the water bottle. Heh heh.

We chatted some more and met TriinginNC - not sure if I spelled that right or not. He volunteer out on the swim course in a rescue canoe. You rock bro! Thanks for your help out there. I can't wait to see you crank it out in Tanglewood! Saw a bunch of other BT'ers before we packed it up and headed over to Fit's house for some attorney grilled burgers and dogs, and THE BEST FREAKING COBBLER EVER.

Got to see Stake's Mdot tattoo. Very nice!

What a day. Thanks for all the hospitality guys.

P.S. The alcohol theory seems to be working. :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My legs...my legs...my legs are on fire...we don't need no water....

I seriously need to figure out what is up with the legs and get it right. Considering daily stretching exercises, massage or ART, the stick. Anyone else have ideas?

Event comments:

Next stop - Mission Man.

Last updated: 2006-07-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:14 | 820 yards | 01m 22s / 100yards
Age Group: 7/93
Overall: 65/552
Performance: Good
Suit: BT trisuit
Course: 2 sides of a triangle. Out to buoy, then back
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:03
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
00:43:35 | 15 miles | 20.65 mile/hr
Age Group: 48/93
Overall: 265/552
Performance: Bad
Wind: None
Course: X shaped course - for the most part uphill when going away from the center of the X - down hill when going toward it.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Bad
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:06
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:22:28 | 03.11 miles | 07m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 34/93
Overall: 225/552
Performance: Average
Course: An out and back followed by a double loop course. All asphalt.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-07-11 11:15 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, North Carolina
Subject: North Carolina Triathlon Series Race #9 - Triangle
Oops...it only saved 1/2 my race report. That kind of sucks....must retype.....

Edited by jkbostic 2006-07-11 11:45 AM

2006-07-11 12:53 PM
in reply to: #478914

User image

Master
Colorado
Subject: RE: North Carolina Triathlon Series Race #9 - Triangle

I have such a sweet setup on the bike, yet I suck soooooo bad. I'm not doing my wheels and bike any justice.

Oh, word. People always compliment my bike... as they pass me. Sheesh.

Hee hee. T2 was so great...that whole "You're DONE and I still have a 5k to do? JEEZ!" And, yes, you quoted my exact words. I hope your kids had their earmuffs on

So great to see you and the clan again! (for the first time? Feels like we've known you forever!)

2006-07-11 1:19 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Great race report! Looks like you had a solid race!

Burning legs? Where do your legs burn? I use to have lower leg pain... and my lower legs would burn through the entire run. This was due to poor form- a heel strike motion- I have since gotten a coach and reworked my form- now I have a mid foot strike. You can see my Training Log for details on all of that.

My only other strong memory of the swim end was as I was exiting the water, I literally heard someone say - look - that guy actually looks happy - he's smiling. And yes. I was having fun.

I read in one of my tri books that we should smile, because it will make the spectators think, "This looks like fun, I should try it". So, I always try to smile for the crowds! You should keep smiling too!

2006-07-11 1:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Clayton/Raleigh, North Carolina
OMG, your comments about the nasty water made me laugh so hard! I tried not to think about it too much, but everyone around me kept mentioning it to me -- that and my husband kept telling me how many snakes were out there. Glad I proved him wrong on that one!

Great race... hope to meet up with you out there at one of these races.....
2006-07-11 2:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Wilmington, NC
Gold member
Great race Jeff, thanks for the kind comments on the run, although motivation works both ways. I have no doubt that I was faster on the run trying to stay out in front of you.
Great race report, loved that your family was there to cheer you on. At the Wilmington race I'll have to tell my wife what your wearing so she can give you some cowbell!
2006-07-11 3:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA

Sounds like a grreat race, even though you had some (minor) disappointments! Chugging the shitwater would be gross. But, your theory of self-medication surely worked. Nice PB for the swim. Sounds like you figured out the bike thing. The pros try to shave oz. off in components...think of what 10 lbs would do! So, it is easier and less expensive to take it off your body, but how fun would that be? No more Fitcobbler. I think ART may be good for your legs. We have a good friend who works as an ART massage guy. He is a Cat1 racer and swears by them, esp if you have a lot of past-tri life injuries. And, we all know (well Nease and I do) how accident prone you USED to be!! GREAT RACE! I need to come down soon!!

2006-07-11 4:16 PM

User image

Expert
WA

great job bosto!!!!

i always like reading your reports cuz you's a funny dude, and they're so inspiring too.  dang, you're fast.  1:22/100 swim?  sheesh.  

2006-07-11 4:18 PM

Regular
Wilmington, NC
The review of the lake water almost made me hurl!  I love the "family racing style" of the Bostic clan!  Can I rent your kids for my next race!  I want the kid-hugs at the end!  Come to think of it, I did get to borrow them for my first-ever triathlon (Angels).   Great race, my man!  And thanks for the help out by the grill!
2006-07-11 4:22 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Awesome race as usualy Jeff   Hope that nasty ole lake water is cleared out by now   Take care -SMO
2006-07-11 8:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Winston-Salem, NC

Such a great race Jeffer!! I just love reading your RR's. You find the humor in the details most of us overlook. It was great seeing you again. I don't know if I will make the Duke Liver HIM, so it might be Pinehurst before I get to see the Bostic clan again.

oh yeah, I'm STILL trying to get that shitwater flushed through my system!!!

2006-07-11 10:45 PM

User image

Expert
Seattle WA

Great race jeff! congrats on the swim PR! I second the alcohol to kill the lake germs - that should definitely be a regular part of the post-race plan. i mean, youi don't want to get sick now, do you?

nice job on the bike - that course is a tough one, and great transitions!

congrats. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » North Carolina Triathlon Series Race #9 - Triangle Rss Feed