General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Burnt out or Over-trained? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-05-16 3:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
GA
Subject: Burnt out or Over-trained?

So I'm looking for some feedback regarding my race season up to this point.  A little background for this year so far...my two "A" races (only races) have been the Publix Marathon and Gulf Coast.  My goals were to go sub 4hrs for the Publix and sub 5:30 for GC.  I felt like those were reasonable goals considering at last years Publix I did 4:10 with a fair bit of walking, and in my two other 70.3s, I've been sub 5:40.

This year at the Publix I went 4:30, and at Gulf Coast I did 5:40 (which includes a 2:26 "run" split).  I'm disappointed that i didn't hit my goals, but really disappointed that during the races, not only was i physically whipped, but I "checked out" mentally, as in stopped caring and just wanted to be done.  

I'm trying to figure out what is going on.  Am I burnt out?  I guess that would explain the mental "throwing in the towel" during these races.  Over-trained?  I keep thinking back to my peak week training for the Publix where I hit 43 miles.  First time going that high for a week, and I was beat down physically and mentally.  The whole training plan i was following may have been too ambitious.  I don't think I ever really recovered from that before the race.  I wonder if i'm still feeling residual fatigue b/c I haven't had any "snap" in my run in a long, long time.  It always feels like I'm running in sand.

However, I did make some improvements in my bike fitness and swim has stayed about the same, so maybe i'm not over-trained.  maybe its that i'm just burnt out on running.

I'm signed up for IMFL in November, and now I'm worried that I won't have the motivation to train properly for it.  I was also going to do Augusta as a fitness test for IMFL, but that just doesn't sound appealing to me at all right now.  So I need some interwebz wisdom.  What's going on with me?  Should I keep on keeping on, and let things work out?  Should I take time off?  Should I take some HTFU pills and wash it down with a glass of STFU?

Biggsmooth out!

2013-05-16 10:02 PM
in reply to: #4745778

User image

Extreme Veteran
Acworth, GA
Subject: RE: Burnt out or Over-trained?
biggsmooth - 2013-05-16 4:11 PM

What's going on with me?  Should I keep on keeping on, and let things work out?  Should I take time off?  

Feel free to ignore me but I would say you need a little downtime as you may be overthinking it a bit.  Take a couple or few days, a week or 2 weeks off and then when you feel the itch to pick up the volume again, you may be surprised that you just needed to let yourself take a mental break.  

Unstructured stuff from time to time is my way to get that mental reset....good luck.

Edited by Mc Q 2013-05-16 10:03 PM
2013-05-17 1:09 PM
in reply to: biggsmooth

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA

I have been in that place many times.  My take is maybe too much volume vs recovery time has the tank a little drained.   However, I know you have done more volume in past years than the last few months.   My guess is you were under prepared for GC and ran out of form to accomplish your goal.   Also, the mental game gets harder when your energy stores are low.   It could be you checked out as a result of nutrition.  I would re-check the game plan and play with it.

As I like to say, a good beat down now and then keeps you sharp.   Try to learn from it then put it in the rear view mirror.

2013-05-17 1:36 PM
in reply to: thecaptin

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
I think the above two posts pretty much capture it...

It seems like I've had several troughs where I felt physically burnt-out but it was really my brain that was tired. Shaking up the training arc has always been my best medicine, and that might mean taking a little time away even if I feel physically capable of doing some S/B/R. I know the thought of a break is counter to how we program ourselves to get to the place where we're confident enough in our fitness to take on long-course events. But, when you're already completing events at those distances, it must mean you've already adopted the routines as a life-style, so coming back to it when you're ready shouldn't be too hard, no?

The process of rebuilding endurance is completely achieveable but re-creating the mental desire to do so needs to come first.

My $.02USD. YMMV and I predict you'll be plenty ready for a great day at IMFL.
2013-05-17 3:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, GA
I have been in that boat before. It is especially tough when you don't hit your race goals.

My advice would be to take some time "off" by going unstructured. I think that brings back some of the fun to the sport. Trying to constantly hit numbers will drain me over time.

Just my two cents.
2013-05-17 5:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Just like everyone else that replied I have been there as well just recently. I actually took two weeks completely off I didn't swim, bike or run or even think about working out. I went down to FL to visit my parents and took my daughter to Disney world and just relaxed. I came back and was actually itching to start up again and i've probably had the best 4-5 week stretch in training I ever had since then.

Take some time off and don't even think about working out just relax, eat, drink and do everything you are not supposed to do lol

Good luck
Edin

2013-05-19 7:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
GA
yeah, i think i agree with you guys. my body feels okay and ready to keep training, but my mind is still "meh". so i'll give it a few weeks of downtime and see if that helps. i have done almost nothing over the past week and it actually feels good.

i know i still need to nail down nutrition and hydration, and its possible i wasn't fully ready for GC. add that to a lack of motivation causing a reduced willingness to enter the "pain cave" during the race, and it makes it hard to finish a race strong. all i know is i've got some things to work on this summer.
2013-05-23 8:27 AM

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA

You are not overtrained. It is very very rare for the age group athlete to achieve true over training (as defined by a screwed up adreanal system).

Like some of the others have said, take a few days off, a week off and see if the desire to train returns.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Burnt out or Over-trained? Rss Feed