General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I'm loving me some Hoka One One's Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-10-02 10:42 PM
in reply to: Stuckinthemiddle

User image

Subject: RE: I'm loving me some Hoka One One's
Originally posted by Stuckinthemiddle

Just completed my first run these.

- uber soft landing (can't see racing in them but training will hopefully take less of a toll)

- hideous ... borderline humiliatingly ugly ( i think the term clown shoe has been mentioned...bang on!)

i'll report back on the long term efficacy with respect to injury prevention...time will tell

Ha Ha.

Good luck. But, having them not work for me was almost a relief (almost). Sure it's $170 down the drain, but at least no one will see me in them.

2013-11-25 8:02 AM
in reply to: adelsud

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Brief update on the Hoka's for me, as well.  

Bought them several months ago (Bondi Speed).  Have about 150 miles in them and just retired them from the rotation.

Very cushy, yes.  But, I also felt like I couldn't corner in them (had to slow way down on turns).  They, oddly enough, started to give me shin splints (each time I'd put them back in and test, the pain would return), despite being cushy.

It FELT (so this is an opinion coming up here) like they both had a long lever arm secondary to just being BIG, which I always felt like I was correcting for as I ran.  Even when it didn't feel like this, unless I landed exactly flat (laterally - not forefoot/heel), it felt like the wide sole wanted to "slap" down - and I usually land slightly on the outside edge of my foot.  That matches with the medial location of the splinting...

I might be making all of the above mechanism up (just thought I'd include for consideration), but they just haven't worked for me.

So, back to my Asics for most runs and my Newtons for races.  The Newtons still are fast and still beat up my forefoot.  Might try Saucony again this winter (had a good experience with them last fall/early winter in some HMs and only went away from them as I tried the Newtons and Hoka's, with my trusty Asics as backups - that got used more than I thought they would… I now have just over 300 miles on them as "backups").

Good luck with the Hoka's.  I think if your body has the mechanics for them, they are a pillowy ride!

Matt

2013-11-27 10:15 AM
in reply to: EKH

User image

Regular
Just need to keep in mind that the Hokas fall under neutral and low drop (4 - 6 mm). I have the bondi speed and stinson evo, both with great success. Used to have calf and quad cramping, but pretty much all gone now. Ive also changed my stride to a more mid foot strike. Ive incorporated a pair of Brooks Pure Flow 2, also 4 mm neutral, but is lighter and less cushion than my bondis, for shorter (> 15 mi) and faster runs. I used to use asic ds trainers and racer, but due to strengthen of my ankles, feet, and changes in stride, i no longer need stability shoes. I like the low drop neutrals.
2014-02-17 10:56 AM
in reply to: drgary

User image

I'm about 4 months into my hoka gunboats.

No calf injuries despite significant mileage increase!!

I can run on pavement for much longer distances with out feeling so banged up in the lower leg, feet.

Despite feeling the pillowy soft landing, these 'feel' fast. My pace does not suffer (at all) in these shoes. They have a springyness that is wierd at first but easy to get used to.

Other than the humiliation and ridicule I receive for wearing these two blue and yellow water beds strapped to my feet, I don't have any negatives to report.
2014-02-17 12:00 PM
in reply to: Stuckinthemiddle

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
yeah, funny how people that haven't "embraced" the Hoka world, just want to make some kind of odd comment(s) when they see you running in them...

"gosh those are ugly"

"what the hell kind of shoes are those?"

"how DO you run in those clod hoppers?"

"isn't that like cheating ?"

"those are bad for your feet"
2014-02-17 2:26 PM
in reply to: metafizx

User image

Seattle

I have been fairly blessed in the fact I don't have to worry too much about my shoes as I don't seem to have any foot/gait issues.

That being said, they were doing a Hoka demo and as one of those people that sees them and thinks many of the things posted above, I thought I should at least try them. 

I thought they were just awful. For how huge and heavy they felt, they didn't feel ultra-cushy like I thought they would. They were awkward on the turns of the track and were just generally uncomfortable. I was a little shocked actually.

I am a huge believer that you just have to do whatever works for you. So, if Hokas work, by all means keep on keepin' on! 

2014-03-30 8:38 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Another plus for HOKA:

Running off the bayous in Houston, I inadvertently stepped RIGHT ON a long rust nail.

Three inch soul to the rescue! Nail didn't even touch my foot 8)

Seriously, in my mizunus (which i **really** like as well) , I would've had a nail an inch deep in my foot - just sayin'

Edited by Stuckinthemiddle 2014-03-30 8:39 AM
2014-03-30 9:58 AM

Originally posted by metafizx

yeah, funny how people that haven't "embraced" the Hoka world, just want to make some kind of odd comment(s) when they see you running in them...

"gosh those are ugly"

"what the hell kind of shoes are those?"

"how DO you run in those clod hoppers?"

"isn't that like cheating ?"

"those are bad for your feet"

Really not much different than comments you hear if you run in zeor drop / barefoot minimal shoes. People like to comment on things that they don't understand.
2014-03-30 11:22 AM

Arden, North Carolina
I love mine too. I still do some runs in my newtons but I've done all my long runs in the hokas and the difference is astounding. No leg pain, no foot pain. I didn't even realize how sore my old shoes made me until I had the comparison. 6 miles in the newtons hurts more than 10 in the hokas. All the little aches and pains are gone too. They're great shoes!
2014-03-30 11:23 AM
in reply to: Oysterboy

Arden, North Carolina
Originally posted by Oysterboy

I'm envious. None of our LRS stock Hokas and I'm not gonna plop down that much money without a test run. These things are never on clearance.

Yes they are. I got my pair on clearance. $100 at Eastern Mountain sports.
2014-03-30 11:26 AM
in reply to: TriDadinAsheville

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
Originally posted by TriDadinAsheville

I'm envious. None of our LRS stock Hokas and I'm not gonna plop down that much money without a test run. These things are never on clearance.

Yes they are. I got my pair on clearance. $100 at Eastern Mountain sports.

They are on clearance at running warehouse and they have a free return policy.

2014-03-30 11:29 AM
in reply to: TriDadinAsheville

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Running warehouse still has Bondi B's on clearance ~$100. Still thinking about buying my 3rd reserve pair. Some people invest in gold, many of us invest in shoes
2014-03-30 1:35 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

I have a question that I can't seem to find a direct answer to.  Sadly, I am an over-pronator.  I currently use both Brooks Adrenaline and Brooks Beast.  I kind of fall in between the two shoes - the Adrenaline is not quite enough support and the Beast is too much support - so I end up using the Adrenaline on my shorter runs and the Beast on my longer runs.

So my question - how do the Hoka's measure up for an over-pronator?  Any thought from those that have used them?

2014-03-30 3:49 PM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
Originally posted by k9car363

I have a question that I can't seem to find a direct answer to.  Sadly, I am an over-pronator.  I currently use both Brooks Adrenaline and Brooks Beast.  I kind of fall in between the two shoes - the Adrenaline is not quite enough support and the Beast is too much support - so I end up using the Adrenaline on my shorter runs and the Beast on my longer runs.

So my question - how do the Hoka's measure up for an over-pronator?  Any thought from those that have used them?

The shoes you mentioned are on the opposite end of the spectrum from the Hoka. The Adrenaline is on the upper end of their support line and I think the Beast is Brooks motion control shoe. The Hoka is a neutral running shoe so if you need that much support there is a good chance the shoe wouldn't work for you.
2014-03-30 8:17 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by k9car363

After retiring my Hoka's (see above), I also have retired my Newtons.  Not for the lack of support, but because for my feet the lugs feel like little hammers on every step.  So sad…  I loved running in those shoes - fastest I have owned, but they were foot breakers for me .  

Ahem...

The Hoka Bondi Speeds (got maybe a couple hundred miles on them, so not a lot but enough to get a feel for them) didn't work for me, unfortunately.  With some pronation, they can be a handful (see other comments about them being neutral and my description FOR ME above).

Anyway, I, too, pronate (although pronation is fairly normal for most feet, many people pronate a LOT, which can cause issues - I'm in the middle and like a little support).  The Adrenalines were a little stiff for my liking (put a few hundred miles on them and retired them out of "meh" feeling for them).  So, hopefully the below will help you (similar profile to me, it seems).

I'm now running in Saucony Mirage 3's (yep, the orange ones, baby!).  There's a newer model, but I haven't tried them yet (nope, no orange… yet).  I love these shoes.  Light, with enough cushion to be comfortable up to 15+ miles (maybe more - haven't gone longer yet), they are my go to shoe.  Just raced a HM in them, too, and loved them.  Just enough support ("guidance") to be comfortable without being too heavy/stiff (I have tried Asics Gel Kayano's again - which I used to run in - and no longer like the heavy feel of them).

I'm also breaking in a pair of Asics Gel Tri-Noosa 9's (did I get that order right?) and like them a lot, too.  Less cushion and more flexible, but with a bit of support for pronation and very light.  They feel good when you run with a mid or forefoot strike.  Haven't done this, but I imagine at the end of a looong run that they might be less comfy if you revert to heelstriking (as many people do).

So, in the end, Hoka's might work well for you.  I'm just throwing in the above as what worked for me.

Good luck and enjoy running!

Matt

ETA - just want to say that I know you've run with a lot of support, and I was offering the above because I used to be more comfortable in shoes with lots of support.  The recommendations above are more mid-level support IF you want to try it - which worked well for me after trying a bunch of shoes (and after having run in heavy support shoes for a long time).  Not trying to suggest that you should go away from a heavier support shoe.  Sorry if I'm being confusing!

Matt

Edited by mcmanusclan5 2014-03-30 8:20 PM
2014-03-30 9:51 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by metafizx

Originally posted by trigal38

Total flop for me.  I was very hopeful because I have a very long history of foot problems but they are just sitting in my closet collecting dust. I really tried but they are a no go.

this was the case with Newtons for me.

And as a NEWTON fanatic, my HOKAS were quickly banished to the darkness of my closet. LUG IT OUT!

2014-03-30 9:54 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado

Running warehouse still has Bondi B's on clearance ~$100. Still thinking about buying my 3rd reserve pair. Some people invest in gold, many of us invest in shoes

Zappos has the Newton Gravity for $105, 4 lugs or 5 I still tried to clear out their inventory. I thought women liked shoes, I'm addicted to having reserve pairs that I know facilitate injury free running for me
2014-03-31 4:05 AM
in reply to: Brian W

User image

Veteran
Coopersburg, PA
Love my Hokas! I have the Bondi 2's Very first run in them I went almost 15 miles and my body felt like it was only 5 miles. Im using these for the run portion of my IM in July. I wanted something that will take it easy on my body.
2014-03-31 8:16 AM

User image

Atlanta, Georgia
Beware if you have wide feet. Hokas only come in one width. I wear a 10.5 4E & typically wear Asics because they make shoes in wide widths. At the GA Marathon expo last weekend, Hoka had a booth. I tried on the Bondi & Stinson. I admit that they both felt great from a cushioning perspective. Almost like cheating. But the sides cut into my feet because my fat foot was spilling over the side of the sole. I tried the 11 & 11.5, but the larger I went, the more the heel would slip or some other issue would emerge. I also wasn't thrilled with the Hoka rep's recommendation to "just take an x-acto knife to the shoe & cut away the area that hurts. Not exactly what I want to do to a brand new pair of $150 shoes.

So while I agree that the shoes are great, make sure they fit you right before you jump in for a quick fix.

And Hoka...if you are listening...start making some wide width shoes!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I'm loving me some Hoka One One's Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Anyone familiar with HOKA One One shoes

Started by dsand97
Views: 3574 Posts: 8

2012-12-13 9:48 AM BigDH

Triathlon One O One - race cancelled in The Woodlands

Started by houston-tri-mama
Views: 1424 Posts: 3

2007-08-26 7:53 PM AusVirgin

one o one halifax

Started by JungleJim
Views: 742 Posts: 2

2007-07-18 2:44 PM Bill

Triathlon One-O-One already in trouble?

Started by cobannero
Views: 1424 Posts: 5

2007-04-18 6:33 AM RedCorvette

Anyone doing one 0 one triathlon????

Started by BADNEWSC
Views: 1226 Posts: 6

2007-02-05 9:12 AM gsmacleod
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 0
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?

date : April 21, 2008
author : mikericci
Do you have jerky one leg drills? Learn about this drill along with several tips and workouts to start improving your pedaling technique.
date : October 11, 2007
comments : 1
Is one month enough time to recover from my first marathon to go and do my first olympic tri? My alternative options are to do the 1/2 marathon and then do the olympic.

date : September 14, 2007
author : Team BT
Squats with one toe on bosu stability ball exercise with picture and video.
date : September 11, 2007
Bosu ball squats with one leg on the floor stability exercise with picture and video.

date : June 27, 2006
comments : 2
One Leg Squat-Dumbbell strength exercise instruction with picture and video.
date : June 23, 2006
One Arm Dumbbell Row strength exercise instruction with picture and video.

date : May 1, 2006
author : Tri Swim Coach
The one-arm drill. This drill will help you with body rotation, breathing, and pull. It also isolates one arm so you can really concentrate on what that arm is doing through the whole stroke cycle.