World Triathlon Corporation
91F / 33C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 40m 32s
Overall Rank = 454/1653
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 72/
Pre-race routine:

Got up, had breakfast #1 and got my nutrition bottles and water out of the hotel fridge. Got my race outfit on and packed up breakfast number 2 for when I arrived at the race site. The race site was about 20 minutes from my hotel. Got there around 0445 and set-up my transition area as usual.
Event warmup:

Not much. Splashed around in the water during the time between the wave in front of us went and our start.
Swim
  • 32m 18s
  • 2112 meters
  • 01m 32s / 100 meters
Comments:

I positioned myself outside front row as I am a fairly strong swimmer. The first "leg" of the course went great. Clear water, not much bumping. Got to the first turn and started running into people from the wave in front of me. The entire rest of the swim was a struggle swimming over, around and through swimmers from the waves in front of me. When I exited the water, I was running up the beach with a guy wearing a cap from 4 waves in front me. Just a really crowded swim course. Felt great coming out...even felt that I should have taken it out harder but this was my first half and what lie ahead was so unknown, I didn't wanna blow it out so early.
What would you do differently?:

Not much could have been done differently
Transition 1
  • 05m 4s
Comments:

I have never been a "shoes on the bike guy." I've always put them on in transition and run with them on. I might do it differently next race. The distance was lengthy and I definitly could have run faster barefoot. But, that aside, go the arm coolers on and everything else in average time.

Put shoes onto bike
Bike
  • 3h 01m 40s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.56 mile/hr
Comments:

I think I took the bike out too easy. I was so afraid of killing it on the bike and having nothing left for what I knew would be a tough run in the heat, that I think I rode it too conservative. My goal was to stay firmly in Z3 HR. For the exception of a couple times that I coulght myself creeping up into high Z3, I stayed mid-low Z3 the whole time. I got nailed with a red card around mile 35 and had to serve a 4 minute penally. The girl that hit me with hit was nailing all kinds of people for ridiculously wrong reasons. Anyways, I served the 4 minutes ad tried to use the time to my advantage. I refilled my Speedfil, ate a waffle and refocused. The majority of the ride was smooth. A couple rough spots just outta transition and at the end. The rollers weren't that bad and the down hills allowed for good rest opportunities. Overall, a decent bike, but one I felt I could have taken out a bit harder

Ride mid-high Z3 the whole ride with spikes into Z4.
Transition 2
  • 04m 8s
Comments:

Not bad. Saw my wife and kids right next to my transition area which gave me a huge boost. I felt awesome coming off the bike. Probably b/c I took it out too easily! Rest of T2 went smooth.

Nothing
Run
  • 1h 55m 22s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 51s  min/mile
Comments:

My coaches always say "there is no such thing as a great bike and poor run." There were alot of people that learned that lesson the hard way during this race! It was HOT and the first 2 miles of each lap were brutal. Huge hill just out of the race expo area. Coupled with the heat and most people were walking. I passed ALOT of people throughout the run. I walked the water stations taking just water and ice in my hat. Keeping the ice on top of my head inside my hat really helped keep me cool. I felt good on the second lap. By the third lap, everybody was walking the hill at the start of the lap. My legs felt good until around mile 9. Some minor hip pain into the finsih. I was pleased with my run given the conditions. Gotta give props to my coaches for steering me right and pounding it into my head not to kill it on the bike. It made all the difference on the run! Most people were not successful in doing that. I passed alot of people on the run that clipped me early on in the bike.

Nothing...executed the run just as I wanted to.
Post race
Warm down:

Met up with my wife and kids. Waited for my other training partners to finish. Ate alot of the food they had in the athlete tent and drank alot of water trying to stay cool.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

HEAT

Event comments:

Great race!! Great organization, great community support. Would definitely do the race again and would recommend it to anyone. I'll be back next year!

Last updated: 2013-05-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:18 | 2112 meters | 01m 32s / 100meters
Age Group: 32/
Overall: 249/1653
Performance: Good
Suit: tri shorts
Course: Inverted "M"
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 05:04
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:01:40 | 56 miles | 18.56 mile/hr
Age Group: 115/
Overall: 657/1653
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Rollers with moderate wind. Largely sooth and fast
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 92
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:08
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:55:22 | 13.1 miles | 08m 51s  min/mile
Age Group: 73/
Overall: 454/1653
Performance: Good
Course: Hot and hilly
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-05-24 7:07 PM

User image

Subject: Ironman 70.3 Florida

2013-05-25 6:02 AM
in reply to: #4756292

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Florida

Nice race!!  It was a crowded swim, I was probably one of the slower swimmers from the wave ahead of you. 

Congrats!

2013-05-25 12:23 PM
in reply to: kenj

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Guam
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Florida
Nice report and congratulations on a nice race well done.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Florida Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman 70.3 Florida

Started by golfraboni
Views: 2459 Posts: 4

2013-05-21 9:04 AM miamiamy

Ironman 70.3 Florida

Started by jenny1
Views: 2489 Posts: 7

2007-05-24 7:03 PM Tri3

Ironman 70.3 Florida

Started by The Mac
Views: 3305 Posts: 22

2007-05-24 4:59 PM panout

Ironman 70.3 Florida

Started by Tri3
Views: 2737 Posts: 6

2007-05-30 8:38 PM Mimir98

Ironman 70.3 Florida

Started by mrlow954
Views: 2635 Posts: 6

2007-05-29 8:19 AM Marvarnett
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : packetron
comments : 4
My personal experience to complete the Ironman 70.3

date : October 8, 2009
author : brianyanowski
comments : 2
Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.
date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.

date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.
date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.

date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.