General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike to Work? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-05-29 10:51 AM

User image

Subject: Bike to Work?
So I've been considering making the transition to biking to work. It's only a 9 to 10 mile ride taking the most mountainous path available in GA however my only other options is a major highway which doesn't seem realistic nor safe. My wife is all about it however she won't be the one that cars whiz by climbing some of these hills.

Anyone else make the transition of biking to/from work during busy traffic hours and what did you do to make it as safe as possible?

2013-05-29 3:50 PM
in reply to: PoleyPower

User image

Elite
Roswell, GA
Subject: RE: Bike to Work?
My wife has done it.  What part of town and which Hwy?
2013-05-29 8:57 PM

User image

Expert
Atlanta, GA
I ride down Peachtree from Buckhead to Midtown 3x a week. Guess you could say it's sorta busy :D

2013-05-30 6:19 AM
in reply to: jamgam

User image

I live in Woodstock and the highway of choice is Highway 92 for 7 miles with 6 lights. But I do have 2 options of back roads which are also busy and hilly but I feel a better bet.
2013-05-30 7:24 PM

User image

Woodstock
I've seen guys do it. Between Trickum and Sandy Plains you're probably okay on the road, there's a fair amount of shoulder, but after Sandy Plains towards 400, you probably want to be stick to the sidewalk, it gets pretty tight and crowded.
2013-05-31 7:48 AM

User image

Elite
Roswell, GA

We live close to Roswell High and my wife commutes to the 400/Mansell area.  I'll get her to swing by and fill you in.

2013-05-31 12:35 PM
in reply to: brown_dog_us

User image

Master
There are a couple of guys who bike commute on Hwy 92, with a LOT of flashing lights. There are three lanes each way on 92, so there are other lanes for cars to pass. However, traffic on 92 averages 50 mph and I have seen a lot of texting/makeup application/eating while driving on this road, so I chose not to ride that way. I took King Road to Woodstock Road to Norcross Street/Warsaw Road instead - hillier, but quieter.

I have only commuted during the summer months and when school was out (spring break) because I do not ride to the front of the line at lights (I just wait in line) and traffic during school months was too heavy and took too long to make the commute worthwhile. It was more time-effective to ride the trainer at home.

I stopped bike commuting because although it was delightful in the morning (people waved, no one buzzed me), drivers in the evenings were rude and sometimes hostile. I was buzzed, honked-at, and yelled-at so regularly that I grew to dread the ride home and simply stopped doing it.

If you have easy shower access and bike storage at work, I encourage you to give it a try to see if you can make it work. Ping me if you need route ideas. Coming from Woodstock, if you can dip through some of the backroads, you may be able to make a fairly bike-friendly route that does not include 92.
2013-05-31 2:17 PM
in reply to: Mrs. brown_dog_us

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
The times I've bike commuted, I had the same experience morning vs. afternoons: perfectly delightful riding around the cars in the a.m., nearly hysterical drivers in the p.m. I really don't remember ever being on anything but my best behavior in those commutes - just something about bikes on the road ticked off drivers to the point they seemed to forget their manners and definitely forgot the law. Still and all, I really plan to find a way to make it work at least a couple of times a year. To the OP, I hope you can make it happen...
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike to Work? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Bike to Work Week: May 17-21

Started by travelfar
Views: 1290 Posts: 14

2010-05-18 3:08 PM brown_dog_us

Tomorrow (5/14) is Bike to Work day

Started by Mrs. brown_dog_us
Views: 1762 Posts: 8

2009-05-15 7:57 AM Mrs. brown_dog_us

couple of inside bikes for sale now that my trainer is working well

Started by phatknot
Views: 1143 Posts: 1

2009-01-19 3:03 PM phatknot

Looking for a Running Partner for Speed Work!

Started by eastri
Views: 1142 Posts: 7

2008-09-30 8:21 PM cornelius300

Sick...work through or rest??

Started by triat180
Views: 1190 Posts: 9

2008-05-14 9:24 AM triat180
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 7, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 0
My trouble is this: I work overnights, 11pm-7am. How many hours should I keep between workouts? What constitutes a 'day'? How does rearranging days affect the overall plans?

date : April 2, 2006
author : Ontherun
Triathlon is more than just three sports. For most of us it includes the real world of work, family and a host of other obligations. Only one problem: when and how much sleep should we get?
date : March 5, 2006
author : Tri Swim Coach
Improving speed in swimming is more than just doing a few sprints at the beginning and end of your workouts. It takes a little more thinking, but I promise there is no high level math involved!

date : July 5, 2005
author : chrisandniki
You’ll find you can work these general routines around your work and family commitments, while keeping yourself fit enough for Sprint or Olympic triathlon distances.
date : October 17, 2004
author : mbologna
One way to improve your speed is to do track work that totals the time and distance goal. The idea is to slowly condition your body to be comfortable at your goal pace.

date : September 14, 2004
author : tri_again
How to juggle life's demands with triathlon training needs.
date : September 10, 2004
author : steve
Well its the middle of winter and there is 5 inches of snow on the ground and I am too cheap to buy a gym membership and take spinning classes, so what do I do?

date : September 4, 2004
author : surfking
Triathlons - Not an Ordinary Workout