HFP Racing
95F / 35C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 00m 52s
Overall Rank = 65/45
Age Group = 20-24 F
Age Group Rank = 3/4
Pre-race routine:

Well, we stayed at my apartment in Westerville, about 45 minutes away. BF and I printed out the directions from from the website, but aparently, they weren't correct because we ended up in the completely wrong part of the park, and we weren't alone. The fog didn't help either. What is with HFP events and fog?

Finally got there, got checked in, numbers, transition set up, etc. Ran into Buckeye66 and Stupidnickname in line for the Port-a-Loo's. Chewed the fat for a bit, then decided to go down to the water and swim...it was really warm!

Had a Gel and a bit of Cliff bar...peed 4 times.
Event warmup:

Swimming around, relaxing, not much really.
Swim
  • 29m 3s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 56s / 100 meters
Comments:

Had an awesome swim. I started up front on the beach and charged in. There weren't a whole lot of girls in my wave, even though all women in the international distance were in the same wave. Didn't get bumped or jostled at all. There were 2 girls who took off and I lost them from the beginning, but for 98 percent of the swim, I was alone and just cruising along. My navigation was surprisingly good, except the buoys were hard to see coming back into shore due to the sun.

Couldn't believe people were wearing wetsuits! This water was like bathwater. And I think some people were freaked out by the fact that the water was GREEN, very, very GREEN. To the point where you couldn't see your arm when it went into the water.

AG- 2/3
OA- 23/72
What would you do differently?:

Nothing really, maybe swim a bit harder?
Transition 1
  • 01m 24s
Comments:

Had a good transition because I didn't have to take anything off. I had swam with my insulin pump on as an experiment, which was a good idea. Cap, helmet, glasses, gels into pocket, grabbed the bike and was gone. Stupidnickname was on his was into transition when I was on my way out, stopped to say Hi!

dunno...get bike shoes without laces.
Bike
  • 1h 17m 46s
  • 24.8 miles
  • 19.13 mile/hr
Comments:

I'm not saying this was a tough course, but it was more than I had bargained for. There were a lot of rollers. Coming out of transition, you had to zig-zag your way, Alp Du Ez style through the residentail part of the lake...at this point I was very glad to not be using aerobars.

when we got out onto the road, it was basically a rolling course, very few straight aways, lots of turns, and lots of hills/grades. First lap was hard on the ol' legs, second one was much improved.

However, there was the issue of Fido. In one of the more remote parts of the course, I heard the sound of carbon wheels coming up behind me. I looked behind to make sure they were passing on the left, and I thought I saw a dog, but I thought it could just be the biker...biker passes me, and I look behind and there is Fido and his buddy, chasing the 3 or 4 of us that were in a group. I started cussing at him and screaming (don't know why, seemed like the right idea at the time and I didn't want to waste my water to squirt him). Finally his owner called him off...never been chased by a dog before and didn't think the first time would be during a race.

In other doggy news, they had marked on the road, in florescent paint, "DOG" about 2 miles AWAY from where my canine encounter happened. Great. Thanks for the heads up. But then a few miles away, they had painted "DOG COW" on the road. Ummm...ok, I understand the concern about the dog, but cow? seriously? Does Bessie have a vandetta against bikes?

AG- 2/3
OA- 65/72 (ouch)

Buy a tri bike. I was one of maybe 3 people without one, and it showed.

Not get chased by a dog (furry bastard).

Take more liquids...I was roasting.
Transition 2
  • 01m 25s
Comments:

Came in with my bike, racked her, changed out my gels, switched shoes. I made the decision to run without socks in my running shoes. More on this later. Had a nice talk with the girl across the rack, she was super nice and she ruled. Decided to run without my trisuit up, so I unzipped and let the sports bra hang out...pale guts of the world, UNITE!

See run portion!
Run
  • 1h 11m 43s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 11m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

Oh boy, where to start. Firstly, it was almost 11 by the time I started. Translation: hot. First mile was pure pain, and my HR was wayyy up there. Finally hit the first aid station about mile 1.5. 2 cups water. I was eating my sport beanz as I went along (tasty buggers, those). At about mile 2 and some change, some people had set up a sprinkler and were cow belling and cheering everyone on (made me happy). The majority of miles 2-3 was shaded, rolling hills. Nearing mile 3 there was another aid station. Hit it on the wat out. Ran in the open to the turn around, did so, and came back (hit up aid again).

By mile 3, I was feeling pretty good. Stride was relaxing, breathing was calming down and my HR was coming down a bit too. But I could feel disaster starting in my right shoe. Uh-oh. Add to that, I could feel a bit of GI problems starting as well.

At theturn around, I saw a girl who I thought was in my AG...made mental note to push harder. more on this later.

Started to come back into town. hit the mile 1.5 aid station again. But I could feel the wheels starting to come off, in a big way. I had stopped sweating a while ago. I was starting to get cold (yeah, WTF?), but most worrying, I could feel my blood sugar dropping. Oh crap.

Blister on my foot was now SCREAMING...didn't want to know.

AG- 3/3
OA- 73/75...ouch ouch ouch

bring fuel belt, drink more water, cure diabetes, not be a spaz, oh, and WEAR SOCKS WHEN YOU BUY NEW RUNNING SHOES!!! I thought I had worn those things in enough...aparently, no.
Post race
Warm down:

Couldn't take a gel because I had no water and I knew I couldn't get it down without it. Thougt I should just press forward to the finish. Could see girl in blue coming behind me. Oh crap. Started to push, felt ill. Got passed by a guy who asked how I was, I decided to be honest.

"um, I think I might be going into shock, and/or hypoglycemia...I'm not doing well but I just want to finish". But this point, I'm like, less than .25 of a mile from the finish. He takes off, and I can see him telling people to get the medics. At this point, i'm shivering, hurting, and really incoherent. And I'm about to get passed. So I start sprinting, and my BF joins up with me. Girl in blue yells at BF to stop pacing me (wtf?), I try to pass her, with about 4 feet left in the shoot, and I just let her go. I walk the finish line, get my chip taken, and the medics come over and fixed me up, along with help from BT'rs Buckeye66 and his SO and Stupidnickname.

Apparently, as I was finishing, the RD announced my name, and kept asking if I was ok, like 3 times...don't remember this really.

Girl in blue must have thought I was a maniac, but then I saw her in the finish tent...she was only 19. Not in my AG. I laughed and apologized.

Huge blister on the instep of my foot as well.

BUT! I also got some AWESOME news when I came in the finish tent... I PLACED!!! I got 3rd! Yeah!

I was a bit disapointed..everything had been packed up by the time I finished and most of the food and stuff was gone by the time I finished.

I want to find the guy who was ahead of me and thank him for sounding the alarm ahead of time...really appreciated it. The volutneers were awesome too, they came up to me at the end and were asking how i was and telling me i had a good race.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Diabetes, heat, lack of run training, not wearing socks on the run.

**EDIT***
I always hate when results come out. I feel great about my race and then I see how crappy I did. My run time is absolutely disasterous. I've put so much into running, you'd think I'd be able to do better than that.

Event comments:

There were no bike marshalls, although the Fairfield county Sheriffs were AWESOME. I saw a bit of drafting going on as well. Also no bike aid stations for the INT bikers. Would have liked a bottle drop.

Transition/finish area had no water fountains or really anywhere to fill water bottles up...not good.

Also, the website directions took you nowhere near where you wanted to be, and we got lost (as did several others).

Would have thought there would have been more aid stations on the run, considering the heat. If it was a cooler day, what they had would have been fine, but on a 95 degree day, spreading them out over the 10k would have helped.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-05-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:03 | 1500 meters | 01m 56s / 100meters
Age Group: 2/4
Overall: 23/45
Performance: Good
Suit: DeSoto Tri suit and tri bra
Course: Long rectangle perpendicular to the beach, counterclockwise swim.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:24
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:17:46 | 24.8 miles | 19.13 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/4
Overall: 65/45
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: ROLLING! Rolling hills everywhere. Beginning was in a residential part of town, with unbelievably windy streets.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:25
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:11:43 | 06.2 miles | 11m 34s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/4
Overall: 73/45
Performance: Below average
Course: Out and back through the countryside, and again, ROLLING!
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-07-17 8:01 AM

User image

Pro
Pittsburgh, my heart is in Glasgow
Subject: Buckeye Lake Triathlon & Duathlon

2006-07-17 9:13 AM
in reply to: #484380

User image

Elite
Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea
Subject: RE: Buckeye Lake Triathlon & Duathlon

Congratulations, Tracey.  Great to hear they had people to take care of you at the end.  Next time please do what you need to do so that they don't have to scrape you off the course somewhere before the finish. 

Cheers!

Tom 

2006-07-17 11:02 AM

User image

Expert
Ross, Ohio

Good job Tracy, you were awesome.  I do have to admit you looked REALLY angry coming into the chute, I will send you the photo I took.  Congrats on the hardware and I am looking forward to seeeing you again at a race.  Hopefully Superfuzz will race at pineman as well and he can join in on the great Buckeye buttkicking contest.

BTW, phoenix is the only person I have ever met that can use the term "sticky buns" in a sentence and sound cool.

2006-07-17 11:06 AM
in reply to: #484689

User image

Pro
Pittsburgh, my heart is in Glasgow
buckeye66 - 2006-07-17 12:02 PM

Good job Tracy, you were awesome. I do have to admit you looked REALLY angry coming into the chute, I will send you the photo I took. Congrats on the hardware and I am looking forward to seeeing you again at a race. Hopefully Superfuzz will race at pineman as well and he can join in on the great Buckeye buttkicking contest.

BTW, phoenix is the only person I have ever met that can use the term "sticky buns" in a sentence and sound cool.

Oh god, I hope your computer eats that file. I don't want to know. I want to find that girl and appologize/explain the whole deal.

And it's not "Sticky buns", it's "wee buns". My Irish flatmates used it when something wasn't a big deal, or was easy. I used it as a mantra during my 1/2 mary, and it made me laugh because I was always following someone's...um...wee buns.
2006-07-18 11:54 AM

User image

Master
La Crosse
phoenixazul - 2006-07-18 7:32 AM

heh, nice race photo too!

Oh, no, that photo is clearly the result of the early onset of endorphin hallucinations. At that point in time, I thought I was Batman. "Son, how many fingers am I holding up?" "I'm BATMAN!" "What's your name, son?" "I'm BATMAN!"

You had an awesome swim, BTW.

In other doggy news, they had marked on the road, in florescent paint, "DOG" about 2 miles AWAY from where my canine encounter happened. Great. Thanks for the heads up. But then a few miles away, they had painted "DOG COW" on the road.

HA! I never even saw either of those. Fat lot of good it did me . . . MOOF!

Apparently, as I was finishing, the RD announced my name, and kept asking if I was ok, like 3 times...don't remember this really.

Yeah, you were pretty clearly unresponsive to stimuli at that point . . .

So I wonder why there were no volunteers? Donna May's RR says that last year there was a lot of community support. What happened in the intervening 12 months? Did HFP forget to solicit locals for volunteering?
2006-07-18 7:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio

Great job Tracey!!!!!  Your first oly, right?  You have some amazing mental toughness girl!!!!  What an inspiration to do what you are doing and have to deal with the 'betes thing.

Loved the dog/cow story. 

2006-07-19 5:04 AM

User image

Veteran
Stirling, Scotland
Great race report. Really exciting to read if you were going to finish in time. Good luck with getting the cure for diabetes for the next time.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Buckeye Lake Triathlon & Duathlon Rss Feed