General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Pump Recommendation Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-06-14 11:35 AM

Regular
American Fork, Utah
Subject: Bike Pump Recommendation
Finally bought a bike with Presta valves, but I don't have a pump which will fit them. What would you "pros" suggest I get? I would like it to also fill my kids bikes. Low cost is plus too. I don't think I need one that I can clip to my bike, do I?

FERG DADDY

2013-06-14 12:29 PM
in reply to: FERG DADDY

User image

Indian Hills, CO
Subject: RE: Bike Pump Recommendation
Get a good floor pump in addition to a frame pump. Frame pump is for emergencies and the floor pump will work much better in the garage. I have a Topeak Joblow. It has a gauge and a bleed valve in case you go over the desired pressure. Works for presta and schrader and worked fine for needles in basketballs and such.

There's an old saying in gear heavy sports "Buy it nice or buy it twice". A cheap pump won't last long.

Ted
2013-06-14 3:15 PM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

As already stated, get both a floor pump and a frame (or mini) pump. I use a Silca Track Pump for my floor pump. It's presta-only, but it's lasted me some 18 years with nothing more than lubing the internal gasket and blowing out the base valve a couple times in all those years.

For frame/mini pumps, I've had really good luck with the Blackburn Airstick pumps. Small, goes up to 120 psi with no problems, and the head switches from presta to schraeder easily.

2013-06-21 4:49 PM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC
2013-06-21 9:32 PM
in reply to: briderdt

User image

I can't remember which floor pump I have but it was about $50 regular price and got it for $40.  I figured I would just get a good one right off the bat and it has worked well for me for almost 4 years now.

As far as a mini pump, I also use the blackburn airstick.  Small enough to easily fit in a jersey pocket and gets the job done.  I still use CO2 for flats, but the mini pump is also good for giving the tube shape and putting in the first 20 or so PSI.  I prefer to use the threadless 12g cartridges that are meant for airsoft guns since they're cheaper (less than $1 each), but they only get you about 70-80 psi by themselves.  A mini pump is also good for pumping up the tube that went flat so you can easily find where the puncture or pinch is...which in turn helps you find if there is anything still stuck in your tire that may cause another flat.

2013-06-23 5:13 AM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

I have had really good luck with specialized pumps.  Everything else I have purchased falls apart after a few years.  My specialized pumps keep going strong.

You definitely want a floor pump for daily tire filling.  Frame pumps are great for emergencies though.  I will admit I still use CO2 for most flats.  Frame pumps really do NOT get your tire up to a sufficient pressure.  But, if it's a choice of thumbing it home or using a frame pump so you can limp home I'd always use the frame pump!  Some frame pumps double as CO2 inflators too...kinda nice feature but then you definitely need the screw top CO2 cartridges which are more expensive.

I have two floor pumps.  I have my beloved yellow specialized floor pump and I also have a red pump I cannot remember the name of but its key feature is that it's semi-FLAT on the bottom so it can fit in my bike case when I fly the bike places.  My beloved yellow specialized pump has a triangle base and wouldn't fit in my bike case.

Whatever you get, you DEFINITELY want it to have a built in pressure gauge so you know what pressure you are filling your bike up to.  MOST of the bike pumps sold these days will work for both presta and shraeder valves.  Very key.

In my flat kit I keep a presta to shraeder adapter just in case I stop somewhere that only has a shraeder pump.  You laugh, but I once flatted across the street from a car repair place.  You bet I went over there with adapter in hand and begged to use their air compressor....without the adapter that would have been impossible.

As others have said, don't be cheap.  You do get what you pay for when it comes to pumps.

2013-06-24 9:18 AM
in reply to: jldicarlo

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

I have a Serfas floor pump that I like a lot.  It works with either Presto or Schrader valves, and has the pressure gauge mounted up high were it's easy to read. 

I used to have a frame pump, but stopped carrying it several years ago after I got my first COinflator.  Just seems so much easier and quicker to me. 

Mark

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Pump Recommendation Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Wheel bag recommendations

Started by Dlaxman31
Views: 534 Posts: 1

2012-06-26 7:59 PM Dlaxman31

XC bike tri training vs road biking

Started by ep1nephr1ne
Views: 1437 Posts: 2

2012-02-19 2:18 PM dalessit

Webistes Recommendations for Cycling News

Started by cornfed
Views: 909 Posts: 3

2011-07-05 11:20 AM D001

An example of the difference between a TT bike and a Road bike (Time Trial comparison)

Started by Leegoocrap
Views: 6401 Posts: 3

2010-08-05 7:52 AM Leegoocrap

TT Bike v. Tri Bike

Started by jsklarz
Views: 2210 Posts: 11

2009-07-11 4:05 PM tjtryon
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 27, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Hint: It's not a one-person job

date : March 14, 2010
author : Ontherun
comments : 1
Ontherun reviews the basics of CO2 inflation systems along with a few of his favorite devices and how to use them including the XLAB NanoInflator and the SecondWind Road and MTB CO2 Inflators.
date : April 22, 2009
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Find out which sports nutrition practices effectively enhance performance. What and when you eat powerfully impacts how well you can perform.

date : January 1, 2008
author : BGTwinDad
comments : 2
We will take a peek into the lowly saddlebag to see what needs to be in there in case of emergency. Much of this may be common sense, some might surprise you, and some are simply just my opinion.
date : September 10, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 12
This video tutorial will show you how to fix a flat tire and also how to change the tire itself. Don't wait until you're out on the course at the races to learn how.

date : April 2, 2006
author : TriDoc5280
comments : 2
This article will cover the basics on the nutritional needs of athletes and will include some standard recommendations from neutral bodies.
date : March 5, 2006
author : chrisandniki
BT'ers vote on all of their favorite products, sites and people. See results for the sports of swim, bike, run and triathlon.

date : December 14, 2004
author : chrisandniki
Learn to perform routine maintenance on your bike. Knowing basic maintenance will make you a better rider. You’ll also come to recognize the complexity and beauty of this machine.