Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Higher Insurance Cost for Smokers Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2013-06-20 10:21 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Subject: Higher Insurance Cost for Smokers
I just found out that starting in January, people who smoke will pay an additional $50 per month for our company health insurance. If their covered spouse smokes also they will pay $100 more per month.

I hate that society demonizes smokers! I'd venture obesity kills 10x more people than smokng. It will not suprise me at all if soon there is a sliding scale for health insurance based on your BMI and/or BF.

I saw this coming with Obamacare and my 'Cadalac health care' coverage costing more the last 2 years.

2013-06-20 10:24 AM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas
Subject: RE: Higher Insurance Cost for Smokers

Originally posted by Rogillio I just found out that starting in January, people who smoke will pay an additional $50 per month for our company health insurance. If their covered spouse smokes also they will pay $100 more per month. I hate that society demonizes smokers! I'd venture obesity kills 10x more people than smokng. It will not suprise me at all if soon there is a sliding scale for health insurance based on your BMI and/or BF. I saw this coming with Obamacare and my 'Cadalac health care' coverage costing more the last 2 years.

this isn't new.  i've worked for employers in the past that charged smokers more money than non-smokers.

2013-06-20 10:30 AM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by mehaner

Originally posted by Rogillio I just found out that starting in January, people who smoke will pay an additional $50 per month for our company health insurance. If their covered spouse smokes also they will pay $100 more per month. I hate that society demonizes smokers! I'd venture obesity kills 10x more people than smokng. It will not suprise me at all if soon there is a sliding scale for health insurance based on your BMI and/or BF. I saw this coming with Obamacare and my 'Cadalac health care' coverage costing more the last 2 years.

this isn't new.  i've worked for employers in the past that charged smokers more money than non-smokers.

It is new. Starts this coming January. ;-)
2013-06-20 10:31 AM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
And is the "smoking" self-reported? Gee... If I say I smoke, I pay $50 more per month.
2013-06-20 10:39 AM
in reply to: briderdt

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Originally posted by briderdt And is the "smoking" self-reported? Gee... If I say I smoke, I pay $50 more per month.

Yes it is. And by the way... Are you registered to vote? Would you like to be?

2013-06-20 10:40 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas
Originally posted by Rogillio

maybe it's new at your company, but it is NOT a new concept.  i've worked places that do this in the past.

2013-06-20 10:40 AM
in reply to: briderdt

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by briderdt

And is the "smoking" self-reported? Gee... If I say I smoke, I pay $50 more per month.

Yes, self reported. So the honest people who smoke a few cigs a day pay $600/year more but the 2 pack a day person with no integrity pays nothing.

Wonder why they don't question alcohol use? Maybe becuase the executives who drink a 1/2 bottle of scotch an night don't see that as a health risk?

2013-06-20 10:41 AM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Champion
Alabama

maybe it's new at your company, but it is NOT a new concept.  i've worked places that do this in the past.

Yeah, I was being a smartarse but could not find the red font with this new website format. (I didn't look hard)
2013-06-20 10:56 AM

User image

So wait... a certain portion of the populace uses more healthcare than others, and you're upset that they pay more in insurance than anyone else?

Does this logic also apply to your thoughts on automobile insurance rates?  You'd be OK with a 16 year old boy paying the same insurance rates you pay for liability?  Or someone with a bad record and a couple DUIs?

I have no problem with this whatsoever.  Calculate my insurance rate based on a likelihood of needing services.  My BMI is normal.  I exercise regularly.  My BP is normal.  My resting heart rate is in the 50s.  I don't smoke.  I don't drink excessively.  I don't feel I should be paying the same rate as the other 41 year old guy who's 45lbs. overweight and is probably out in front of the building right now sucking on a cancer stick.

2013-06-20 11:21 AM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX

I just found out that starting in January, people who smoke will pay an additional $50 per month for our company health insurance. If their covered spouse smokes also they will pay $100 more per month.

I hate that society demonizes smokers! I'd venture obesity kills 10x more people than smokng. It will not suprise me at all if soon there is a sliding scale for health insurance based on your BMI and/or BF.

I saw this coming with Obamacare and my 'Cadalac health care' coverage costing more the last 2 years.

Hard to say if it is a good or bad thing if smokers pay more. It makes me think that people who need more health care need to pay more for insurance. But that includes diabetics too... right? I mean, it is a given they are going to cost more to cover than someone who isn't diabetic. So should they pay more?

Some people smoke and don't have any health issues from it. By charging more the insurance company is saying smokers will have more health issues. It would make more sense to charge more to cover people who are absolutely going to cost the insurance company more to cover.
2013-06-20 11:24 AM
in reply to: RussTKD

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by RussTKD

So wait... a certain portion of the populace uses more healthcare than others, and you're upset that they pay more in insurance than anyone else?

Does this logic also apply to your thoughts on automobile insurance rates?  You'd be OK with a 16 year old boy paying the same insurance rates you pay for liability?  Or someone with a bad record and a couple DUIs?

I have no problem with this whatsoever.  Calculate my insurance rate based on a likelihood of needing services.  My BMI is normal.  I exercise regularly.  My BP is normal.  My resting heart rate is in the 50s.  I don't smoke.  I don't drink excessively.  I don't feel I should be paying the same rate as the other 41 year old guy who's 45lbs. overweight and is probably out in front of the building right now sucking on a cancer stick.

Not all smokers contribute to higher health care. Many smokers use nicotine to help maintain a healthy body weight. So if they quit smoking they'd eat and blimp up to 400 lbs and then you have even more health issues. Some smokers can smoke a few cigarettes a day and NEVER have a single health related issue attibuted to smoking. Just like some people drink only modestly and don't end up with liver disease. But since you drink, should you have to pay more for insurance due to the statistical data that says drinkers are a higher risk than non drinkers? This applies to health insurance and autoinsurance.

By your logic, if you don't have kids using public schools then you should pay less income tax. The problem I have with this new rule is it puts more emphasis on smoking than obesity.

BTW, I am never sick and almost never go to the doctor. I guess I got lucky with good genes. Other people have to go to the doctor every couple of weeks for soemthing. Should our insurance rates be like autoinsurance? That is, the more you go to the doctor, the more 'incidents' you have directly drive your insurance costs? I'm all for that! Let the guy who gets sick all the time pay more. But don't charge more for a behavior that you can't quantify.

2013-06-20 11:37 AM
in reply to: KSH

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by KSH

Hard to say if it is a good or bad thing if smokers pay more. It makes me think that people who need more health care need to pay more for insurance. But that includes diabetics too... right? I mean, it is a given they are going to cost more to cover than someone who isn't diabetic. So should they pay more?

Some people smoke and don't have any health issues from it. By charging more the insurance company is saying smokers will have more health issues. It would make more sense to charge more to cover people who are absolutely going to cost the insurance company more to cover.

Good point. Some smoke with no issues. Some drink with no issues. Some overweight people never have issues.

So where do we draw the line? It's a statistical fact that race, gender, sexual orientation, eithnicity and genetics all effect one's need for medical insurance. If all 4 of your grandparents lived to be 98 and died peacefully in their sleep, there is a good chance you might also. Me, OTOH, had all 4 of my grandparents die of cancer....as well as one of my parents. So I figure I will die of cancer rather than a heart attack. I'm thinking death by cancer cost insurance companies much more than death by heart attack. So should I pay more for my insurance?

Well, the Affordable Care Act will continue to prove to be far more reaching than people thought. The part of pre-existing conditions just confounds me. It is basically force social care. From a business perspective, it makes no sense to force someone into a losing contract which is what is being put on insurance companies.
2013-06-20 11:41 AM

User image

Champion
PA

Yeah, I was being a smartarse but could not find the red font with this new website format. (I didn't look hard)

Ah man, will that be another $50 for erectile dysfunction?
2013-06-20 11:43 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by Rogillio  Not all smokers contribute to higher health care. Many smokers use nicotine to help maintain a healthy body weight. So if they quit smoking they'd eat and blimp up to 400 lbs and then you have even more health issues. Some smokers can smoke a few cigarettes a day and NEVER have a single health related issue attibuted to smoking. Just like some people drink only modestly and don't end up with liver disease. But since you drink, should you have to pay more for insurance due to the statistical data that says drinkers are a higher risk than non drinkers? This applies to health insurance and autoinsurance. By your logic, if you don't have kids using public schools then you should pay less income tax. The problem I have with this new rule is it puts more emphasis on smoking than obesity. BTW, I am never sick and almost never go to the doctor. I guess I got lucky with good genes. Other people have to go to the doctor every couple of weeks for soemthing. Should our insurance rates be like autoinsurance? That is, the more you go to the doctor, the more 'incidents' you have directly drive your insurance costs? I'm all for that! Let the guy who gets sick all the time pay more. But don't charge more for a behavior that you can't quantify.

Not all teenage drivers have accidents, but enough do to justify insurance companies charging more to insure them.

If you look hard enough, there are exceptions to anything.  But generalizations become generalizations because they're generally true.  My parents were both smokers, and my Mom probably used up enough health care costs to fund a minor league hockey team by the time she died.  Multiple strokes, emphysema, etc.  In comparison, my Dad used very little since he died in his sleep from a heart attack.

As for the analogy about public schools, it's invalid.  I pay for public schools even though my kid doesn't go to one so I can live amongst an educated populace.  Though in Louisiana it's arguable as to what the value for my money is.

And yes, I do think there should be a component of calculating health insurance costs that is tied in with personal behavior.  I'm not sure where you're coming from to think that smoking and the risks associated with it aren't quantifiable.

Keep in mind that cigarettes are the only legally sold product in this country that will cause death to the user when used in their intended manner. 

Edited by RussTKD 2013-06-20 11:44 AM
2013-06-20 12:05 PM
in reply to: Pector55

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by Pector55

Ah man, will that be another $50 for erectile dysfunction?

Took me a sec to get that. Well played. LOL
2013-06-20 12:15 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama

Originally posted by Rogillio  Not all smokers contribute to higher health care. Many smokers use nicotine to help maintain a healthy body weight. So if they quit smoking they'd eat and blimp up to 400 lbs and then you have even more health issues. Some smokers can smoke a few cigarettes a day and NEVER have a single health related issue attibuted to smoking. Just like some people drink only modestly and don't end up with liver disease. But since you drink, should you have to pay more for insurance due to the statistical data that says drinkers are a higher risk than non drinkers? This applies to health insurance and autoinsurance. By your logic, if you don't have kids using public schools then you should pay less income tax. The problem I have with this new rule is it puts more emphasis on smoking than obesity. BTW, I am never sick and almost never go to the doctor. I guess I got lucky with good genes. Other people have to go to the doctor every couple of weeks for soemthing. Should our insurance rates be like autoinsurance? That is, the more you go to the doctor, the more 'incidents' you have directly drive your insurance costs? I'm all for that! Let the guy who gets sick all the time pay more. But don't charge more for a behavior that you can't quantify.

Not all teenage drivers have accidents, but enough do to justify insurance companies charging more to insure them.

If you look hard enough, there are exceptions to anything.  But generalizations become generalizations because they're generally true.  My parents were both smokers, and my Mom probably used up enough health care costs to fund a minor league hockey team by the time she died.  Multiple strokes, emphysema, etc.  In comparison, my Dad used very little since he died in his sleep from a heart attack.

As for the analogy about public schools, it's invalid.  I pay for public schools even though my kid doesn't go to one so I can live amongst an educated populace.  Though in Louisiana it's arguable as to what the value for my money is.

And yes, I do think there should be a component of calculating health insurance costs that is tied in with personal behavior.  I'm not sure where you're coming from to think that smoking and the risks associated with it aren't quantifiable.

Keep in mind that cigarettes are the only legally sold product in this country that will cause death to the user when used in their intended manner. 

That's not true. There is no 'intended manner' for frequency. If you smoke 3 cigs a day to help you maintain a healhty body weight you might actually increase your longevity. Drinkin Coke or Mountain Dew will kill you too if used in excess. My point about being quantifible....there is no way of knowing how much people smoke...or what kind of cigarettes. My dad smoked 2+ packs a day of filterless Lucky's....he woke up every hour during the night to smoke. He did this for 40+ years. HE was a high risk. I know other people who smoke occasionally....couple of cigs a day.....sometimes more, sometimes none. And they smoked lite, filtered cigarettes.

I just fundamentally think this is a slippery slope. I don't smoke so this will not effect me....but next year when they require my BMI effects my rate or if I occasionally drink or run with sizzors or ride my bike out on the highway putting myself in greater peril......

2013-06-20 12:26 PM

User image

Originally posted by Rogillio That's not true. There is no 'intended manner' for frequency. If you smoke 3 cigs a day to help you maintain a healhty body weight you might actually increase your longevity. Drinkin Coke or Mountain Dew will kill you too if used in excess. My point about being quantifible....there is no way of knowing how much people smoke...or what kind of cigarettes. My dad smoked 2+ packs a day of filterless Lucky's....he woke up every hour during the night to smoke. He did this for 40+ years. HE was a high risk. I know other people who smoke occasionally....couple of cigs a day.....sometimes more, sometimes none. And they smoked lite, filtered cigarettes. I just fundamentally think this is a slippery slope. I don't smoke so this will not effect me....but next year when they require my BMI effects my rate or if I occasionally drink or run with sizzors or ride my bike out on the highway putting myself in greater peril......

I feel like I have to check my calendar to make sure it's 2013 and not 1983.

And no, it's not a fundamentally slippery slope.  The damage smoking does to the body is real.  It's been demonstrated and studied going back 60 years now.  It's the single worst health related decision someone can make.  Period. 

So no, I don't feel that adding a modifier to an insurance rate that accounts for smoking and tobacco use is bad.  If you smoke, statistically you are more likely to use more health care, and will therefore cost the insurance company more. 

To me, this isn't any sort of gross governmental overreach.  On the contrary, it's the market deciding what is and isn't acceptable in today's society. 

2013-06-20 12:33 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
My company does it too. The wording in the enrollment documents is that they provide "discounted rates to nonsmokers".

Regarding obesity, I think what you're already seeing is a "carrot" approach, rather than a "stick" approach. A lot of companies have wellness programs that offer a discounted healthcare insurance premium or other benefits if you participate or they provide annual health fairs where people can get flu shots, cholestorol and BMI tests, blood pressure tests, etc.free of charge. My company has one and they have raffles and prizes to encourage people to attend. For the moment, most companies seem to be going that route with respect to obesity, though I could see it changing in the future.

There's a stigma attached to smoking and smokers that (for the most part) doesn't exist with obesity that makes it easier for smokers to be given the "stick" treatment without a lot of public outcry.

2013-06-20 12:46 PM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

Master
Memphis, TN
Life insurance premiums are already higher for smokers versus non-smokers

I don't see a problem with this but then again I don't smoke at all. If you choose to smoke with all the evidence around you and ways to quit smoking with patches, gum and pills then you pay the extra price. There is no reason I should pay the same health insurance rates as a smoker or for that matter as a morbidly obese co-workers.

2013-06-20 12:50 PM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn

My company does it too. The wording in the enrollment documents is that they provide "discounted rates to nonsmokers".

Regarding obesity, I think what you're already seeing is a "carrot" approach, rather than a "stick" approach. A lot of companies have wellness programs that offer a discounted healthcare insurance premium or other benefits if you participate or they provide annual health fairs where people can get flu shots, cholestorol and BMI tests, blood pressure tests, etc.free of charge. My company has one and they have raffles and prizes to encourage people to attend. For the moment, most companies seem to be going that route with respect to obesity, though I could see it changing in the future.

There's a stigma attached to smoking and smokers that (for the most part) doesn't exist with obesity that makes it easier for smokers to be given the "stick" treatment without a lot of public outcry.

Yes, we have the carrot aproach for obesity too.

Another reason this bothers me is statisitically the 25% of Americans who smoke are vastly more likely to come from blue-collar, working class demographics....that is, the demographic who can least afford it.

Smoking is an addiction and you can drive some people to quit with financial penalities but other people would starve their kids before quitting smoking. I am not a fan of 'demonizing' smoking or, like you say, usinig a stick to beat people into submission. I am a live and let die person. If you want to partificpate in high risk activities such as smoking, drinking, sky diving, bungee jumping, riding your bike on the highway in the rain, not wearing helmet when you ride a bike, a horse, a 4 wheeler, etc that is your right. You live your life and I will live mine.

2013-06-20 12:56 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama

Originally posted by Rogillio That's not true. There is no 'intended manner' for frequency. If you smoke 3 cigs a day to help you maintain a healhty body weight you might actually increase your longevity. Drinkin Coke or Mountain Dew will kill you too if used in excess. My point about being quantifible....there is no way of knowing how much people smoke...or what kind of cigarettes. My dad smoked 2+ packs a day of filterless Lucky's....he woke up every hour during the night to smoke. He did this for 40+ years. HE was a high risk. I know other people who smoke occasionally....couple of cigs a day.....sometimes more, sometimes none. And they smoked lite, filtered cigarettes. I just fundamentally think this is a slippery slope. I don't smoke so this will not effect me....but next year when they require my BMI effects my rate or if I occasionally drink or run with sizzors or ride my bike out on the highway putting myself in greater peril......

And no, it's not a fundamentally slippery slope.  The damage smoking does to the body is real.  It's been demonstrated and studied going back 60 years now.  It's the single worst health related decision someone can make.  Period. 

So no, I don't feel that adding a modifier to an insurance rate that accounts for smoking and tobacco use is bad.  If you smoke, statistically you are more likely to use more health care, and will therefore cost the insurance company more. 

To me, this isn't any sort of gross governmental overreach.  On the contrary, it's the market deciding what is and isn't acceptable in today's society. 

It is NOT market driven. It is the ACA that is driving up health insurance costs. If it were market driven this would have been implemented in 1883. Health insurance is sky rocketing. The idea that you can magically insure 40 million more people and not drive up insurance cost is ridiculous. BTW, the ACA requires coverage of people with 'pre-existing conditions'. So there is really no reason to get insurance until you get a very costly disease since insurance companies will have to accept you even if you are already diagnosed with cancer. How's that for free market?!

2013-06-20 1:07 PM

User image

It is NOT market driven. It is the ACA that is driving up health insurance costs. If it were market driven this would have been implemented in 1883. Health insurance is sky rocketing. The idea that you can magically insure 40 million more people and not drive up insurance cost is ridiculous. BTW, the ACA requires coverage of people with 'pre-existing conditions'. So there is really no reason to get insurance until you get a very costly disease since insurance companies will have to accept you even if you are already diagnosed with cancer. How's that for free market?!

Maybe you're right.  I forget health insurance costs were flat from 1994 (when I started paying my own insurance) until 2009 when the ACA was passed.

And seriously, who smokes 2-3 cigarettes a day to "maintain body weight"?  That's the kind of crap you'd read on a back cover ad from a 1930's Ladies Home Journal.

Edited by RussTKD 2013-06-20 1:13 PM
2013-06-20 1:26 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama

Maybe you're right.  I forget health insurance costs were flat from 1994 (when I started paying my own insurance) until 2009 when the ACA was passed.

And seriously, who smokes 2-3 cigarettes a day to "maintain body weight"?  That's the kind of crap you'd read on a back cover ad from a 1930's Ladies Home Journal.

A very good friend of mine. Just becuase your don't know it, does not make it crap.
2013-06-20 1:30 PM

User image

Originally posted by Rogillio A very good friend of mine. Just becuase your don't know it, does not make it crap.

It's crap and you know it.

(images.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
images.jpg (11KB - 8 downloads)
2013-06-20 1:35 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama

Originally posted by Rogillio A very good friend of mine. Just becuase your don't know it, does not make it crap.

It's crap and you know it.

Wow, so now you know what I know! That's remarkable! Tell me, do I know how to solve partial differential equations and perform continuity, isolation and high-pot tests?

The picture in the ad is pretty good. 17 years ago I was a smoker. It kept me thin. :-) You can argue that all you want but I lived it.

Edited by Rogillio 2013-06-20 1:37 PM
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Higher Insurance Cost for Smokers Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

New sidebox smoker

Started by gair70.3
Views: 1290 Posts: 10

2006-11-04 1:47 PM gair70.3

Another reason I hate smokers.... Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by oipolloi
Views: 4142 Posts: 106

2006-10-27 1:53 PM autumn

BBQ Smoker/Keg

Started by parrj
Views: 2668 Posts: 11

2006-08-02 9:42 AM The Mac

Ex-smokers are the worst.

Started by rice
Views: 2334 Posts: 13

2005-09-08 8:16 PM max

Would you date a smoker?

Started by newbiedoo
Views: 1456 Posts: 23

2005-08-23 1:46 PM phoenixazul
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 16, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 2
Road cyclists tend to have a higher cadence than triathletes. Why is this? Is it bad?

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 0
This is a video of the fingertip drag drill used for recovery to promote high elbows upon hand entry.
date : March 17, 2008
author : BWL
comments : 4
Using tri training for breaking bad habits, getting healthy and gaining confidence plus a little bit of humility.

date : August 7, 2007
author : AMSSM
After finishing a sprint triathlon I ate a large meal and about 8 hours later I became very ill with chills, fever and diarrhea. I attributed it to food poisoning but it happened again after a brick.
date : March 8, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
Are organic products worth the extra cost? In terms of nutrition, some research suggests organic foods may have slightly more minerals and antioxidants than conventionally grown counterparts.

date : March 6, 2007
author : gsmacleod
comments : 6
A comparison between two athletes and their results based on a high intensity vs a low intensity program.
date : February 8, 2007
author : MegL
comments : 25
No one likes to look like a fool, but it’s hard not to when you don’t know what you’re doing as a beginner, so if it helps, go ahead and pretend.

date : October 2, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 9
Studies have shown a correlation between pedaling at a high cadence and running at a high cadence, which leads to faster running. The shorter your ground contact time , the less chance for injury.