General Discussion Race Reports! » Motor City Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Motor City Triathlon - Olympic Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Detroit, Michigan
United States
3 Disciplines Racing
68F / 20C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 24m 31s
Overall Rank = 37/200
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 1/5
Pre-race routine:

Changed up my nutrition and its a bit simpler Basically the same protocol as Leons. Got up, ate, loaded car with the cooler for the picnic and headed downtown.
Event warmup:

quick trot back from chip pick up to get the bike, then rode the bike to T1. Did some hip stretches and arm swings before swimming to in the water start.
Swim
  • 26m 9s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 44s / 100 meters
Comments:

this was a VERY rough swim. Usually it's very fast...with the shore current to the turn, then you catch the river current which makes for a very fast swim...usually. Today the strong winds negated the river current and made for some serious chop...like 2 footers along the "speedy" part of the swim. I was worried for two buddies who are not strong swimmers. One made it, the other didn't. :( I had to sight quite a bit more than usual, and drank more of the Detroit River than I wanted too for sure! Probably the roughest swim I've had in a race.
What would you do differently?:

Sight more on the choppy bit of the swim. I got pushed off course here and Mr. Garmin says I swam 1700 meters. That's a LOT of extra swimming!
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

really really bad transition. I have got to figure out how to get out of the new westuit! It's a bit of a run up to t1, but I didn't get my zipper going till I entered t1 and was walking. Made it to my rack, and the helmet and glasses got knocked off of the bike. Stepped on glasses, had to figure out how to replace lens (I chose my yellow lense glasses I rarely wear due to clouds) because I was not going to ride in that wind with no eye protection! Gahhhh!

Glasses IN helmet, not on edge because it was so windy. PRACTICE WETSUIT REMOVAL! I WILL master this by Steelhead!
Bike
  • 1h 06m 19s
  • 23 miles
  • 20.88 mile/hr
Comments:

Holy Headwind! It was tough on the US side of the island today! I knew last years PR bike would not be going on today, so I just tried my best to hit my power #'s (soft again darn it!) and ride smart. There was some standing water on the course, but it really wasn't an issue. This course is always congested on the 2-4 laps due to sprinters entering but it's 2.5 lanes and usually enough room for passing if you communicate a LOT on the bike!

I still need to work on consistancy in reaching for my power numbers in this distance. I have come short two races now, and not sure why other than I don't often race this distance. I was happy to have ridden in such nasty winds this week...mentally prepared me for the wind today. :)
I did get a little "fluffy" in the middle. Staying focused on all laps is tough for me.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

This t2 has a ramp and tight turn so I made sure with the wet conditions I scrubbed lots of speed and slowed down so I didn't fall like last year on my race prep. No issues today thank goodness!
In t2, I had to get all the crud off my feet with my Lions towel since Cathleen convinced me to run sockless. That took a few seconds. But I think it was worth it! Grabbed the lid and belt and took off!

Not much. Maybe on a dry day come into the bike dismount a little hotter.
Run
  • 52m 5s
  • 6.02 miles
  • 08m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

Did not have the run I did two weeks ago, but it wasn't horrible either. Since I was not tapered for today, I didn't expect to pr, but I did want to do better than last year, where I had a crappy run. I did do that!
I tried to execute the race plan from Leon's, but while I got close, the speeds were just not as good. I walked through 4 aid stations for water, and if I had stayed running, I'd have done a bit better for sure. I felt like I needed the water though. Cathleen was awesome on loop 1 and 2 cheering me. There were lots of folks cheering (ATCK and FRASER peeps) and I took in all that mojo! As always there was lots of love from teammates and buddies on the course too. I was very good and talked very little! :) I feel like I'm actually starting to learn how to race on the run. Focus when it hurts is improving, and little voices in the head that suggest slowing down are not as loud. :) I got a blister on my right foot....I ran sockless in different shoes than Leons Tri, and either I need different shoes or socks. :)

Should have run through all the aid stations. I took in no nutrition so I didn't need to stop while drinking really. I wish I had started counting (to distract myself from the hurt and improve cadence) a bit earlier. Hard to stay focused on it, but it helps a ton!
Post race
Warm down:

Pretty much just chatted and got food (eventually). cheered in my friends finishing.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not being tapered mostly. I think I did well considering the conditions and my training this week.

Last updated: 2013-02-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:09 | 1500 meters | 01m 44s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/5
Overall: 0/200
Performance: Good
Suit: zoot full
Course: triangle with buoys on the left.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 62F / 17C Current: High
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:06:19 | 23 miles | 20.88 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/5
Overall: 26/200
Performance: Average
avg hr 156 AP NP170 VI 1.02 IF .79
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: 4 loops of Belle Island which gives you a very strong headwind on one side, and a bitchin' tailwind on the other.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:52:05 | 06.02 miles | 08m 47s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/5
Overall: 72/200
Performance: Good
8:41 162 hr 8;28 164 hr 8:30 165 hr 8:20 168 hr 8:18 169 hr 8:19 171 hr 6:33pace 177 hr
Course: 2 loops ...out of T2, circle the fountain, back to the woods and back to t2. Repeat!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-06-20 9:02 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: Motor City Triathlon - Olympic Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Motor City Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Motor City Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by TrishM
Views: 1288 Posts: 1

2012-09-04 7:27 AM TrishM

Motor City Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by eddievolly
Views: 1241 Posts: 1

2012-06-18 10:25 PM eddievolly

Motor City Triathlon - Olympic Distance

Started by mbaldwi5
Views: 1202 Posts: 3

2007-06-25 2:11 PM kellc09

Started by atl_runner
Views: 1945 Posts: 4

2006-06-28 10:45 AM steamy

Started by expensivehobby22
Views: 1556 Posts: 2

2006-06-26 1:16 PM kimta
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 2, 2010
author : HerveB
comments : 8
I looked at the swim buoys and start thinking, "Man! How am I ever going to swim that? That looks like a very long distance from the bridge. I have never done it in one go." There's no turning back.

date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : December 3, 2007
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : July 11, 2007
author : Amy Kuitse
Discussions on training after adductor tendonitis, swimming drills, training after 3 down base weeks from allergies to get ready for a HIM, hill drills, Computrainer courses vs outside rides and more.

date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
Any good race director will go over the triathlon swim course directions many times.
date : October 24, 2004
author : tri-en
If you are like many runners you may be frustrated at racing 5K distances and never being able to run them faster. Improve your race pace with this flexible 12 week program.

date : September 1, 2004
author : infosteward
Experts agree, doing a “mock,” triathlon on the course you’re racing can aid you in your training; performance and most of all quell some nervous energy.