General Discussion Race Reports! » El Dorado Lake Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

El Dorado Lake Triathlon - Olympic Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
El Dorado, Kansas
United States
Oz Endurance LLC.
80+F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 21m 52s
Overall Rank = 54/63
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 3/3
Pre-race routine:

I woke up at 3:45 AM in order to get in a breakfast (2 bagels with peanut butter and honey, 1 banana) and load the truck. Drove to the race location (takes me about 45 minutes to get there). The place was already humming with activity. I was still able to get a place in transition close to the bike exit. The line to the bathrooms was impressievly long so I was glad to get there early.
Event warmup:

I hung out with two guys in my age group but they were racing the sprint race. It was nice to hear these guys voice the same pre-race jitters I was experiencing. I jogged a little in the parking lot and got in a short swim prior to the race. It was colder out of the water than in it so I mostly stayed in the water once I got wet.
Swim
  • 29m 33s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 58s / 100 meters
Comments:

I felt pretty good through the whole section. The waves were small and I never got stuck in the crowd. I purposely started a few seconds later to avoid the fray since this was going to be my weakest leg of the race. I only had to correct my course a few times. I did experience being swam over. An unusual sensation. I felt like a big hand just pushed me a foot or so deeper in the water. At first I wasn't sure what happened. I looked up and saw feet in my face. Turns out I was being passed by a female who was in second place for your group at that time. I was just glad I didn't get my goggles knocked off. I swam the entire course the week before and I finished 10 minutes faster, so I was thrilled at this point.
What would you do differently?:

Keep working on my stroke and many more miles.
Transition 1
  • 01m 43s
Comments:

I felt good at this point. No wet suit to worry about, just get to the bike. I haven't practiced putting my shoes on while riding so that wasn't an issue and my transition position was close to the bike exit.

I suppose I could practice a jump start but since I'm not a podium contender I'm good with staying safe and steady.
Bike
  • 1h 42m 24s
  • 40 kms
  • 23.37 km/hr
Comments:

I was doing fairly well on my first lap. I had a good average speed (18.5 mph) with my HR in zone 2-3 and breathing steady. I almost wrecked turning into the parking lot and noticed my front tire was low. I went to the aid station for bikes and asked for a pump. I was offered a new tube but thought I must have some kind of slow leak so I declined the offer (mistake!) Started back on the second loop and halfway through I noticed my tire was low again. At this stage, I knew I needed to change the tire which I did. It seemed like it took forever! I didn't time this, of course, but now I was just pissed off, knowing my time was now pointless. I resumed the ride. With about 4 miles left to go, I again notice my tire was low. I used up what was left in my CO2 cartridge and rode like hell just to get off the tire. By the time I arrived in T2, I was riding on the rim of the wheel.

First, when offered a tube, take it! Second, practire changing my tires more often. I've done it before but never under duress. Third, take more than one CO2 cartridge. Fourth, when the flat occurred, I lost focus on staying hydrated and getting calories. I ended up only getting in one liter of fluid and only a bite of an energy bar. Finally, don't waist all your energy on this section. Although I felt I had a really good reason to blast through the last part of this leg, it ruined the run part of the race.
Transition 2
  • 01m 22s
Comments:

No issues here.
Run
  • 1h 06m 54s
  • 10 kms
  • 06m 37s  min/km
Comments:

It was getting brutely hot at this point and my legs were just wasted from the push to get off the bike. My mood was poor too but that's no excuse. I have problems with temperature control in general (I always run too hot) so I really suffered on the second loop. I had to walk parts of the second loop.

Train more in the heat. I con't really comment more than that because I set myself up for failure with the bike leg going the way it did.
Post race
Warm down:

I walked around a little bit and drank more cold fluids.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

See above.

Event comments:

I think this race is well organized and other than needing one more water station I felt it was well layed out and staffed. I learned alot from this race and since it is my first real outdoor triathlon, I don't have much to compare it to. I am definitely disappointed and have spent some time considering what else I could have done differently.

I think I caused a pinch flat caused by hitting one of the speed bumps too fast. I knew about these since I had practiced the entire course the week before. I must have just gone too fast over one. The second flat was of my own doing when I replaced the tube and that I can improve on. The effort to get through the remaining bike section came at a huge cost on the run. I probably should have coasted the remaining bike section in order to have a better run. I would have likely had a better time too, since the run took so long.

I'm now trying to find another Olympic distance race for the second half of the summer. I don't want my season to end like this. I also now need to change focus somewhat since my second major goal this year was to run a marathon in the fall. We'll have to see how I can manage juggling these to desires. Still, overall I had fun despite my frustrations. Amazingly, I'm not that sure today. I've felt much worse after my running races.

Last updated: 2013-06-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:33 | 1500 meters | 01m 58s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/3
Overall: 41/63
Performance: Good
Suit: Tri-suit bottom
Course: Triangular shaped loop that ended on the beach. You had to get out of the water for a small section and get back in for the second loop.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:43
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:42:24 | 40 kms | 23.37 km/hr
Overall: 45/63
Performance: Bad
Wind: Cross-winds with gusts
Course: I would consider this a fairly level course with a few rolling hills. My wife told me she overhear other racers complaining about the crosswinds but compared to where I train I would say the winds were just average. According to the Weather Channel the winds were gusting between 12-15 mph. Overall, the road surface was smooth but there were two areas with speed bumps and an area were the surface was very bumpy secondary to some heavy equipment leaving distortions in the pacement causing serious vibration at high speeds.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:22
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:06:54 | 10 kms | 06m 37s  min/km
Overall: 54/63
Performance: Bad
Course: The course consisted of two loops that circle around the lake that we swam in for the first part of the race. Most of it was in the sun. My only complaint for the race set up was I felt there should have been another water station of the back half of the loop.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-06-24 5:33 PM

User image

Regular
Wichita, KS
Subject: El Dorado Lake Triathlon - Olympic Course

2013-06-24 9:25 PM
in reply to: #4786305

User image

Master
Central Kansas
Subject: RE: El Dorado Lake Triathlon - Olympic Course

I think I saw you on the bike with your flat. Then I saw you again. I felt really bad for you. I agree those speed bumps were horrible. I really do hate that bike course, the more I think about it. Too many turn arounds; too many speed bumps; too rough.

I think the winds were much worse than you think they were. I really did fear being blown over and could feel it moving my bike.

I agree with you that the run was brutally hot.

You did a great job of racing.

2013-06-24 11:59 PM
in reply to: #4786305

User image

Calgary, AB
Well done Dave.  Shame about the flat tires -- but it sounds like you competed well.  Some things are out of your control -- good on you for persevering!
2013-06-25 4:57 AM
in reply to: Hoos

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Great job on the race and handling adversity with that pesky tire!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » El Dorado Lake Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

El Dorado Lake Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by KansasMom
Views: 2213 Posts: 18

2013-06-25 1:20 PM melbo55

El Dorado Lake Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by KansasMom
Views: 1611 Posts: 7

2012-06-29 4:59 PM Asalzwed

Started by kburk09
Views: 1524 Posts: 2

2011-06-28 10:06 PM KansasMom

Started by KansasMom
Views: 1854 Posts: 5

2011-06-27 10:27 PM KansasMom

El Dorado Lake Tri

Started by Kevin_MS
Views: 1368 Posts: 1

2010-06-29 2:43 PM Kevin_MS
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.

date : August 2, 2010
author : HerveB
comments : 8
I looked at the swim buoys and start thinking, "Man! How am I ever going to swim that? That looks like a very long distance from the bridge. I have never done it in one go." There's no turning back.
date : February 5, 2010
author : CavalloHJ
comments : 5
I found a sprint, the Lake Las Vegas Triathlon, that was happening four months down the road and signed myself up; much to the surprise of friends and family.

date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : December 3, 2007
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?

date : December 31, 2006
author : TriSquirrel
comments : 2
A description of my experiences during my first triathlon. It was a great experience. I’m in better shape than I’ve ever been.