General Discussion Race Reports! » Life Time Fitness Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Life Time Fitness Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Minneapolis, Minnesota
United States
Life Time Fitness
100F / 38C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 27m 21s
Overall Rank = 727/2700
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 108/158
Pre-race routine:

got my stuff in order the night before... put on my hrm and ltf attire.. yes I got the ugly puke green outfit.. doh!... ate a nutrigrain * 2 bar , a bit of rain gatorade, and a little OJ... headed out. ate a large paste meal night before..
Event warmup:

I swam about 200 meters about 1.5 hours prior to my AG start.. I got in several times just to keep cool... it was pretty hot . laid in the shade under a tree most of the time.. watched the pro and skydivers in the sun but the gated start
Swim
  • 35m 20s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 09s / 100 yards
Comments:

i am really disappointed in this time... I felt like I swam much faster.. so I cant figure out why it was so slow... i could have swore I would have been faster.. I did crawl the whole way and passed at least a dozen or more people... so I dont have a clue what I did wrong... except.. always and except isn't there.. I did zig zag a little bit on my way out (first 1/3) and a bit on the way back in (last 1/3) I did 30:50 last year... (that 1:53/100yds) so I cannot fathom what I did wrong this year.. I felt like I swam great.. ugh.. I think the freaking timers wrong man.. doh!
What would you do differently?:

lookup more.. I keep my head in the water a lot .. I dont know what i did wrong actually... i actually think the f'ed up the time somwhow.. but ti doesn't really matter...
Transition 1
  • 03m 46s
Comments:

I setup my t1 wrong... i put to much crap in my helmet.. I had 5 gu's in there.. and should have put them into a little storage container on my bike... i put on my camel back which I almost forgot about.. so it slowed me down just tad, but with the weather figured i woudl need it... I tried drinking a exterior bottle and it was VERY hot.. the camel back was luke warm.. next time I will put it in a wash basin with water to keep it cooler

put gu on the bike ... get the routine down better... i suck at t1
Bike
  • 1h 15m 58s
  • 21 miles
  • 16.59 mile/hr
Comments:

well , this was it .. I made it to approx. mile 7 when it dawned on me that I was kicking some serious butt on the bike .. but then the speaker sound came and I saw the turn... "SLOW DOWN" i heard when I pulled my arms from aero-position to my right arm on the gear and the other on the aero (a position I nromally use to make sharp turns..). so I slowed down... obviously going too fast to begin with... apparantly .. for this corner.. as corner had a narrow entry between to road division (cement islands) seperating it... I just didn't make the turn and my bike hit the island of cement and I lost my clips and the bike and myself went flying over the island of cemeant onto the road.. with sand and blacktop taking out my kne e and my hand (as I put it out as to avoid head trauma)... I think my thumb hit first as a large spike of pain jolted my arm and knee.. the thumb has had a nice swollen look to it for the last two days... the knee has a trivial scrap in 3 places.. but boy did I bleed.. a lady came rushing and pulled me over to the grass and I just sortah sat .. unable to stand due to dizziness and a darkness in my eyes... mustah have been the total stop from going so fast and a high HR and then suddenly just stopping cold (like gettting out of the sofa or bed too fast .. I dunno)... anyhow the lady got her supplies and a big thing of water and pour over my sand/scraped blood and then wrapped me with a cold packa and some gauze on my knee and gauze on my hand.. I declared that I couldnt go on... and she called me in and said I needed to go to the tent... I waited.... while I wait I witnessed a 3 bike pile up in the same exact spot... the lady told me several crashes occur here today... big surpirse.. they need to revise this part of the race course I think!! anyhow I waited... and about 12-13 minute passed and I decided to keep going...i couldnt let it go.. not now.. I didn't want the dreded DNF on my record.. no sir.. I stood and miraculously I could stand and it didn't hurt too bad... I fixed my chain (which had fallen off) and got back on the bike... woo hooo ... I paced at a much slower rate (3:30 avg per mile versus 2:30) but I made it... the run was pretty brutal.. which I am now thankful was only a 5k...

practice sharp turn going really fast ???? or simply avoid crashing .. doh!.. and push the 23-24 mph that I had prior to the crash.. go all out.. take the corner a bit slower next time.. especially that one corner.. DOH! Train for the heat.. the heat killed most of us I think...
Transition 2
  • 02m 55s
Comments:

i took my time.. obviously.. my slipped on my running shoes while standing.. sitting would have been harder to get back up ... my knee still hurt.. i had esssentially change my strategy to 'finish' from 'finish with awsome time'...

ummm hustle..
Run
  • 29m 20s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

clearly my run was realitively average .. 87th.. with a 9:40s! wow.. I can do better.. I know I can.. I did the first mile in 8:17.. the 2nd was 10ish and hte last was a 11ish.. I basically boinked after that freaking hot bridge.. last year it was before that ... and I still managed to do a 10k... this year it was the knee that killed me ... I know I can do it.. the 100+ temp didn't help but the additional water stops helped a lot I dunked myself every chance I got.. only one time a kid threw water from a bucket on me and soaked my foot so much that my sneakers started to make squeeshy noices.. lol..

train more bricks with 30+ miles + 10k runs... Heat training isn't likely going to help.. so I have read.. i will stick ot the distance brick method ..
Post race
Warm down:

well... i basically walked around in a daze for awhile .. didn't see anybody I knew.. i laid under a tree for 1/2 hour.. then walked over the massage tent and saw UTTriman (Brett)...

What limited your ability to perform faster:

ummm... my inability to turn correctly and wipe out as a result...

Event comments:

i'd do it again... but I am ready for another oly race honestly.. its pricey.. and I want to try other ones.. I think I can do 3 for the price of this one ..if I stick to local races.. i had some troubles getting around yesterday.. the pain in my right knee/leg was pretty severe.. but today (2 days later) it feels more like a simple scrap with just the skin bothering me... the stairs still bug me.. I will try a swim out tomorrow..

Last updated: 2005-12-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:35:20 | 1640 yards | 02m 09s / 100yards
Age Group: 66/158
Overall: 370/2700
Performance: Below average
Suit: nope
Course: out - across - and back , buoys on the right..
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 83F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:46
Performance:
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:15:58 | 21 miles | 16.59 mile/hr
Age Group: 128/158
Overall: 874/2700
Performance: Bad
see my blog for this.. its in html from my motionbased.com
Wind: Some
Course: up the river and down across minnehaha road, alternate course didn't do the Harriet lake round about (3 miles) so it was just 21-22ish.. not sure on exact distance..
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Bad Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:55
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:29:20 | 03.11 miles | 09m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 87/158
Overall: 620/2700
Performance: Below average
see garmin data on blog summary for the day
Course: around the lake... that bridge really SUCKS.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %8
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-07-17 9:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Blaine, MN
Subject: Life Time Fitness Triathlon - Olympic Distance

2006-07-17 10:04 PM
in reply to: #485624

User image

Regular
Central Minnesota
Subject: RE: Life Time Fitness Triathlon - Olympic Distance
Sorry to hear about that corner and wipeout! I would like to think that I would've gotten up and finished like you did, but I'm not sure (especially in that heat). That is an awesome effort on your part - very inspiring! Once again, congratulations on finishing!
2006-07-18 8:25 AM

User image

Elite
Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea

OUCH!  That sucks, Rodger.  I remember coming within mere inches of that same concrete island.  Definitely a dicey spot on the course.  Good on you for dusting yourself off and finishing the race in the brutal heat.

Cheers!

Tom 

2006-07-18 8:42 AM

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member

Sorry to hear about your fall! Good for you for continuing though. Congratulations on your finish!

I feel the same about the race fee, and I've only done Lifetime once. I did the sprint two years ago and figured I could do three other races for the price of that one, so I haven't done it since. Also it's got the issue of having such a long, long wait to start after transition closes (10:30 a.m. for me); that was hard. So I figure I've been there and had the experience of doing it, but I'm not sure when or if I'll do it again.

Hope your knee feels better today!

2006-07-18 9:01 AM

User image

over a barrier
Way to continue on...I was like a little kid going around the turns..I'm a big chicken, lol.

Nice run in that heat!
2006-07-20 12:46 PM

User image

Expert
Delano, MN
Sorry to hear about the crash! I'm also glad you got back up and finished. You're the man!

2006-07-20 4:40 PM

User image

molto veloce mama
i was looking at your times first thinking 'i KNOW roger goes faster than that on the bike, what the heck happened????' and then i read about the crash. major kudos for wiping off the blood and hoppin' back on the saddle, my boy! that's awesome. no doubt your muscles were in a bit of a daze after the crash too. its amazing what our bodies can do. great race, and great avoiding the DNF!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Life Time Fitness Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed