Bear, Delaware
United States
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 13m 54s
Overall Rank = 254/332
Age Group = Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 14/16
Pre-race routine:

My first tri, so no real routine. I got up early, ate a filing but light breakfast, and got into transition by 5:30. There was no one there, so I was completely done by 6am and wasn't racing until 8:15. I took a 1 hour nap in my care. Helped my energy, and my nerves.
Event warmup:

I walked around listening to music, drank some water, and I ate a protein bar about 1 hour before the race. Wanted enough fluids without overhydrating. I walked and jogged around to loosen up the muscles for a good pre-race stretch.
Swim
  • 11m 32s
  • 400 meters
  • 02m 53s / 100 meters
Comments:

Water was cool enough that wetsuits were allowed, but not necessary. Most people swam with a suit, including myself. However the suit was borrowed from a friend whose frame is smaller than I. Swim started fine, I felt quick and smooth, but once I start running into people I had problems getting going again. The swim was broken down into thirds (out, across, and back) and in the second third I was worried of a DNF. But I used the backstroke to rest, and breathe, and I unzipped my suit to allow for better breathing and movement. In the end I finished, and there was a time I didn't think I would.
What would you do differently?:

I need more time in the pool for my next Tri, I also need either no wetsuit, or one that fits properly.
Transition 1
  • 03m 24s
Comments:

Transition was not very good. Getting out of the wetsuit was no problem. But I was using a lycra compression shirt, not a Tri top or a Cycle top and it stuck to my skin. I was very tired coming out of the water and didn't have a real good order of operations to do things.

Figure out exactly what I will do in transition and PRACTICE. If something does not work (like the lycra shirt) figure something else out.
Bike
  • 40m 46s
  • 10 miles
  • 14.75 mile/hr
Comments:

My worst performing part of the Tri. I ranked lower here than anywhere else. I felt pretty good, and I tried to ride at a good pace. But being my first, I rode on my old hybrid bike. Very heavy, not aerodynamic. It did not feel good to see guys in their 50's, 60's and 70's blow by me like I was standing still.

First off, more time on the bike. But also, I got a new bike the week after this race. It is a lighter, modern road bike, and having that bike alone has cut about 5-7 minutes off of my time. As I said before, I also need more time on the bike. Some longer rides at a slower pace, and shorter sprint rides.
Transition 2
  • 01m 20s
Comments:

This started to turn the whole Tri around for me. I ran in clips with my running shoes, so it was real easy to get my helmet off and rack the bike. The only reason my time wasn't better is cause I took about 30-45 seconds to do a quick stretch. I had the idea in my mind (no idea if it's right or wrong) that the stretch would help make up that much time on the run.

I would run more bricks so I don't have to do the stretch, also just practice the transition, getting in and out quickly.
Run
  • 16m 50s
  • 2 miles
  • 08m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

The first 1/4 mile was the absolute worst. My legs felt numb and jello like coming off the bike. But I quickly gained my legs back and set a good pace, I was able to push through some of the fatigue. I had enough left that I picked up the pace significantly in the final stretch.

Top half finish wasn't too bad. For the next time I would spend more time running, but also spend some time running sprints to get some better conditioning.
Post race
Warm down:

Took the time to stretch the muscles out, then picked up some early lunch provided at the event. Chatted with some other participants.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

1) Lack of Training - The last month especially I was very busy with work and personal things, so my training was not as intense or consistent as it should have been. My cycling and swimming were neglected most, and it shows in the results.
2) Equipment - I didn't want to spend a huge amount of money, so some of my equipment may not have been ideal. Mainly I was held back by my bike.
3) Transitions - I didn't practice them, so I ended up with at least 1-2 minutes in transition time I could have cut out with better efficiency.

Event comments:

This is the Piranha Sports coordinated Tri-It Triathlon and it was an amazing experience. The level of organization, presentation and preparation is very professional and surprising really. The people there are very nice and easy to talk to. It was a very comfortable experience for a first time Tri runner.

Last updated: 2013-06-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:32 | 400 meters | 02m 53s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/16
Overall: 241/332
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:24
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:40:46 | 10 miles | 14.75 mile/hr
Overall: 287/332
Performance: Bad
Wind: Little
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:20
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:16:50 | 02 miles | 08m 08s  min/mile
Overall: 168/332
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-06-27 1:48 PM

Subject: Tri It Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri It Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Southern Saratoga Love to Tri Indoor Triathlon

Started by J-McG
Views: 833 Posts: 2

2006-02-21 2:02 PM Renee

Tri-Peachtree Triathlon

Started by Motivated
Views: 1571 Posts: 11

2005-08-30 2:13 PM velasqu7

Tri-Benbrook Triathlon

Started by indiancrossover
Views: 1433 Posts: 10

2005-05-07 7:28 PM ajax1868

Tri-PTC Triathlon

Started by Motivated
Views: 1544 Posts: 7

2004-08-30 8:59 AM tplauche

Tri Jesus Triathlon

Started by experthome
Views: 1066 Posts: 1

2004-02-22 12:00 AM experthome
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 31, 2011
author : gracetaBitha
comments : 2
What could've gone wrong did not go wrong. Everything that couldn't go right, went right. Result: The most wonderful, perfect, first triathlon for yours truly.

date : February 5, 2008
author : DominiqueL
comments : 1
A product review of the Louis Garneau Tri Air Triathlon Shoe. After nearly two years of testing, see how this shoe performed. Currently being replaced by the Tri Air 2.
date : January 1, 2008
author : agrace
comments : 4
I couldn’t help but feel that the race had beaten me. Perhaps duathlons were more for me? No, I was more determined than ever to succeed. I was determined to get on top of my swimming.

date : October 9, 2007
author : She-Ra
comments : 12
I never imagined that 350 yards broken down into 7 REALLY long lanes would be so big! I gasped out loud and told Grady that maybe I had underestimated the swim.
date : October 9, 2007
author : RaytownPete
comments : 0
”Dang! That water’s cold!” immediately hit me. In these first few seconds, my triathlon goal sunk quicker than my legs and torso had. I now knew this was going to be a lot harder than I imagined.

date : February 7, 2007
author : Angie M
comments : 4
In the past 18 months, I have delivered two babies, had meningitis, broken my pelvis, had two surgeries, worked full time, AND completed my first triathlon!
date : November 27, 2005
author : spetremears
9 weeks after my first bike ride, 5 months after my first swim and 13 months after my surgery I entered the Nelson week Tri a Tri !

date : September 14, 2004
author : tri_again
How to juggle life's demands with triathlon training needs.