USM Events
22C / 72F
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 11m 20s
Overall Rank = 191/204
Age Group = 35-44
Age Group Rank = 14/16
Pre-race routine:

Drove from Palm Cove to Port Douglas which was about 35mins, but we were there as registrations opened. Unfortunately it took forever to register and there was no link between the competitors list and Triathlon Aust membership. I had to check my one day membership, but couldn't so had to go to another line....it was very frustrating and I only just checked in when the organisers were calling out for competitors to get a wriggle on and set up transition. This was the fastest I have ever set my stuff up, and I wasn't happy!
In all this rush, I forgot to put sunscreen on.
Event warmup:

The swim leg was changed from 2x 750m loops to a straight 1.5km swim parallel to the beach. This meant that competitors had to walk 1.5ks down the beach to the start. So I guess this was the warm up, as I was already coming last!
I had planned on putting on my wetsuit, but given the lack of time, was not able to. I decided that the walter was pretty flat, and it was quite warm at 25c out of the water and 22-23c in that the wetsuit would have added further complication.
I splashed myself with water to get used to it, and chatted to some other competitors who were equally as nervous.
Swim
  • 30m 30s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 02s / 100 meters
Comments:

I deliberately swam fairly slow as I did not want to push too far, given that I had never done an olympic triathlon before. Although I am a swimmer, and don't find swimming that length too difficult, it is pacing that is an issue. I just got into a rhythm and lost track of time. About half way I thought surely this must be over, but then realised it was probably halfway as I usually get like that on my training sessions.
The beach start was a bit different and getting out beyond the waves more difficult anticipated, despite growing up around surf and doing a fair bit of body bashing in my time. This was different, this was a race, and I could feel it. No leisurely pace out to the back this time.
What would you do differently?:

Go a bit faster, I know I was going too slow. Need to practice at the beach more this summer.
Transition 1
  • 02m
Comments:

I am not so good at getting clipped into the pedals so it takes me about 50m to be secured.

need to practice with shoes attached to bike or at least clipping in and out quicker.
Bike
  • 1h 21m 30s
  • 40 kms
  • 29.50 km/hr
Comments:

Was pleased with the bike, as I really wanted to get under 1.5hrs for the bike and to go around 30km/hr. Some parts I managed to creep up to 35km/hr but couldn't hold it so had to slow down a bit. I found that the rough surface slowed me more than I had anticipated.

Think I need to get aero bars for my bike as I found I had to change positon with my arms frequently.
Really need to have more time in the saddle, as I have not had as much bike training as I should have had.
Transition 2
  • 03m 31s
Comments:

Can't get off the moving bike yet, or leave shoes attached. I don't wear socks in the bike, so have to tkae time to wipe feet and put them on for the run.

Really did ok for my abilty. Need to,practice the feet out of shoes and riding thing.
Run
  • 1h 14m
  • 10 kms
  • 07m 24s  min/km
Comments:

In order to get through it I decided to run the 2.5kms and when I got to the drinks station, walk through those until I reached my family and then run the next loop. The most difficult lap for me was the third, but I was determine to finish by plodding through it.
Throughout the whole thing I was just pushing myself forward, thinking how much I was trying to like it....I really wanted to do the whole thing at least shuffling if I could not run and I was pleased with being able to achieve that, even though my running is probably the same as other peoples jogging.

Not much, It would be good to maintain afaster pace but that will come with more practice.
Post race
Warm down:

Sat around the presentation area and had fruit and cold drinks

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of confidence to try to go faster and training.

Event comments:

The post race refreshment area was away from the finish...about a 50m walk, and there was no access to drinks at the finish, this was a bit annoying, there was limited variety of fruit and electrolytes and water on offer.
Overall I felt I did a fair effort for my first Olympic length triathlon.
I realised how sunburnt I had gotten, and then tried to get out of the sun.

Last updated: 2013-06-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:30 | 1500 meters | 02m 02s / 100meters
Age Group: 12/16
Overall: 140/204
Performance: Good
Hr data did not come up on the garmin, but I felt good throughout.
Suit: trisuit only
Course: 1.5km parallel to the beach just outside the surf. The surf was pretty flat, and bouts were regularly placed.
Start type: Dive Plus: Waves
Water temp: 23C / 73F Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:21:30 | 40 kms | 29.50 km/hr
Age Group: 11/16
Overall: 171/204
Performance: Good
Hr sat at around 155-160 which was good. First 20ks faster than the second.
Wind: Little
Course: It was a flat course going out to the country and back. On the way out one lane was blacked to traffic, and all riders were on this one lane. As the pros were commencing their second lap this meant that I was pretty much stuck on the verge. There was a row of witches hats dividing the lane on the verge, and at times there only felt like 1/2 metre of space, but I am sure it was at least a metre. As this was a no drafting race, you have to be careful that you are keeping your space when people overtake you. I had driven the circuit the day before with my husband, so had a pretty good idea of what was install. As this was my first Olympic one of my main areas of inexperience is nutrition and hydration. I can't stand gels so had packed in the little food box a muesli bar in half a small box of m&ms and skittles. I also had some water and gatorade on the bike. At about the 15km mark I had some gatorade and then ate some of the m&ms after halfway mark. I then kept drinking the gatorade only and did not have anymore water throughout the rest of the ride. As I was approaching T2 I felt really good, challenged but not beyond my abilities. I know that I was not the fastest, but my pace was perfect for me. I then began to get nervous about the run. I really do not like running at all, and although I have trained, it is running that I find arduous.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:31
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:14:00 | 10 kms | 07m 24s  min/km
Age Group: 14/16
Overall: 197/204
Performance: Average
Hr creeped up during the laps. There were 4x 2.5km laps. The first one Hr was around 165 then it staring going up although my speed went down.
Course: Flat course on hard sand on the beach. A beautiful view, but 2.5 km laps was difficult for me as I am not a runner. It was quite sunny by this stage, and getting very warm.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2013-06-30 5:19 AM

User image

Regular
NSW
Subject: Coral Coast 5150 Triathlon

2013-07-01 7:13 AM
in reply to: #4791707

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: Coral Coast 5150 Triathlon

Congrats on your first Oly!!!!

Well done.  Smile

The confidence comes with just doing more, so you'll be flying around in no time flat.

Great job!

Matt

2013-07-08 6:34 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Regular
NSW
Subject: RE: Coral Coast 5150 Triathlon
Thanks Matt, its nice to have completed it.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Coral Coast 5150 Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Hy-Vee Triathlon - 5150 U.S. Championship

Started by lrunfit
Views: 1753 Posts: 3

2011-09-12 10:13 AM bscharff

Started by robfornoff
Views: 2099 Posts: 3

2011-09-09 10:37 AM tuwood

Started by markcdaniels
Views: 1878 Posts: 3

2011-09-07 7:39 AM gamecom17

Started by CPT K
Views: 1440 Posts: 2

2011-09-05 1:32 PM tuwood

Coral Coast Olympic Distance Triathlon

Started by Honza
Views: 900 Posts: 1

2008-09-30 5:31 PM Honza
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.

date : January 25, 2012
author : trmat79
comments : 1
The next thing you know it is time for bed and another workout day has passed. This is where the heart comes in.
date : November 29, 2011
author : trmat79
comments : 2
A story about the motivation to overcome everyday challenges

date : October 4, 2011
author : MikeyT1298
comments : 6
First time triathlete conquers swim struggle and finishes at the front of the pack
date : August 8, 2011
author : Gina60
comments : 16
I can't run a seven-minute mile anymore, but that doesn't take away from the joy of finishing

date : June 27, 2011
author : pyroman1_1
comments : 3
Lake Havasu Tri 3/19/2011
date : May 26, 2011
author : gdsemiller
comments : 14
Towards the end of December 2010 both my daughter and son came up to me and said “Daddy we want you to get healthy and not die."

date : April 27, 2011
author : brumby11
comments : 5
An impending baby inspires a father to become fit, along the way discovering world of triathlon