General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike ability vs Running ability Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-07-09 12:48 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Bike ability vs Running ability

Jason - just for fun I looked at a few years of XC times for high schoolers in my state....not exactly a running hotbed. In 2012 over 400 kids ran sub 18:00.......30 ran sub 16:00....over 100 were under 17:00.  Obviously only a few of those kids are at the top of the state....and likely none are near the top of the nation.  I'd also be willing to bet that virtually none of them have been running 50+ miles per week for years.

True runners are born....period.  Yes, a very small percentage can get down in that area as adults with no running background....but even then you are talking about people who could have ran even faster as a kid.

I help work with about a dozen boys who are very good triathletes.....about half of them at the elite level for their age.  Every one of them ran a 5:00 mile (give or take 6-10 seconds in either direction) by the time they were 14.  None of them trained running more then a few days a week to do it.  Most of them were products of swim programs so they did have a pretty big engine to draw on, but not all.  Born runners.

Edited by Left Brain 2013-07-09 12:57 AM

2013-07-09 2:29 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

LB, I think you're probably right that most people who can already run sub 18 are just naturally gifted and don't run that much.

But if we're talking about the average person who is not born with great running genes, it is not unrealistic to attain a sub 18 goal with a lot of running.  It's just that you don't see many amateurs (myself included) willing to put in the hard work required to get there given that you don't have the genes.  That doesn't mean it's not possible though.  The poster asked a question of how to get from a 23 min 5k (a sign of a decent runner, but without great running genes) and get to 18 min.  I was simply advising that poster on what it would take to get there...but again, you're probably right that most of the people running sub 18 don't run that much...but running less isn't the reason why they're fast.

2013-07-09 7:31 AM
in reply to: Jason N

Master
Northern IL
A number of the people I know running 18 or so may not be running 50, but they've been running closer to that than almost 20. And they tend to run it a lot. Not just for a month or so in a build up to a bigger race, but more week in, week out for a long time. They're also not in high school and haven't been for awhile. How fast did they get there? I don't know, it's all over the place. Did they need to run that much to get there? Maybe, maybe not. Depends on the individual. They're more interested in getting what they can out of the time they have to put in anyway.
2013-07-09 8:21 AM
in reply to: yazmaster

User image

Excellent question and excellent answer by yazmaster (which now has me asking more questions!)

So if I train harder there is hope for an old lady who can only run a 27:00 5K right now???

Patti in NJ
2013-07-09 8:25 AM
in reply to: colinphillips

New user
Key West
Originally posted by colinphillips

Originally posted by topolina

Well, I don't know why, but I have the opposite problem. I am at the top of my age group in Tri's and stand alone running races, in the run portion, but my cycling times are terrible and I am always at the back of the pack on the bike. I am a small woman 63" and about 113 lbs and just can't seem to hang. I always assumed in was just different muscle development. Admittedly I don't bike as much as a run, but since I never see much improvement on the bike, I just stopped trying to improve in that arena. I did upgrade my bike, which helped about a mile per hour, but that is all.

Shane is right. Your size is a disadvantage on most bike courses found in triathlons. If you want to shine on the bike, seek out the nastiest, hilliest bike course that you can find

Check out Emma Pooley (UK) - one of the best climbers in cycling, and a pretty useful triathlete too, she recently won the Swissman Extreme Triathlon - she is quite small, and struggles on flatter courses, but kills in the mountains. Same for the riders in the Tour de France. The Colombian kid who got a lot of attention in the Pyrenees on the weekend and is currently leading the best young rider competition will likely get destroyed in Wednesday's time trial stage.

Thanks guys for making me feel better about being so slow. LeftBrain--you are right, I need to ride more, and yes I can swim. It is just the bike that I can't seem to hang on.

I am thinking about doing the Pescara Italy Ironman 70.3 next June, which is definitely a "hilly" course. So maybe that is a good match for me if I add some mileage. Right now training for a marathon and trying to BQ.
2013-07-09 9:40 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Pro

Originally posted by brigby1 A number of the people I know running 18 or so may not be running 50, but they've been running closer to that than almost 20. And they tend to run it a lot. Not just for a month or so in a build up to a bigger race, but more week in, week out for a long time. They're also not in high school and haven't been for awhile. How fast did they get there? I don't know, it's all over the place. Did they need to run that much to get there? Maybe, maybe not. Depends on the individual. They're more interested in getting what they can out of the time they have to put in anyway.

Yes, no doubt your point is well made....but I think THOSE are the outliers, not the majority of people who can really run.  For  mostof us, our bodies couldn't take the work that's needed, day in and day out like you and Jason point out, without breaking down.

Most sub 18'ers and surely, as Jason points out, sub 16'ers are not made....they were just genetically born to run easier, and faster.

2013-07-09 9:50 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
For me I a bit depends on the length of race I am doing but for the most part my biking and swimming are FAR above my running.  In a BIG race I will still be top 20-30% on the swim and bike and usualy near DFL on the run. A small race I will be the top 5-10 in my AG on the swim and bike and still near DFL on the run.   Now I have some biomechanical isssues due to a bunch of previous lower extremity surgeries which impacts my run but its just not my genetic makeup I think.  I work REALLY REALLY hard at it but the bottom line is I get injured easliy running and it is what it is. Tried loads of different shoes, gait analyses by multiple people custom orthotics etc etc etc.  My feet suck and I have embraced my inner slowness.
2013-07-09 10:18 AM

Master
Northern IL
Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by brigby1 A number of the people I know running 18 or so may not be running 50, but they've been running closer to that than almost 20. And they tend to run it a lot. Not just for a month or so in a build up to a bigger race, but more week in, week out for a long time. They're also not in high school and haven't been for awhile. How fast did they get there? I don't know, it's all over the place. Did they need to run that much to get there? Maybe, maybe not. Depends on the individual. They're more interested in getting what they can out of the time they have to put in anyway.

Yes, no doubt your point is well made....but I think THOSE are the outliers, not the majority of people who can really run.  For  mostof us, our bodies couldn't take the work that's needed, day in and day out like you and Jason point out, without breaking down.

Most sub 18'ers and surely, as Jason points out, sub 16'ers are not made....they were just genetically born to run easier, and faster.

That's a peculiar view for one of the founders of the 30 Runs In 30 Days challenge.

2013-07-09 10:25 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Pro
Originally posted by brigby1

That's a peculiar view for one of the founders of the 30 Runs In 30 Days challenge.

Not really....running every day has many benefits, and getting faster is certainly one of them.  But getting faster and being able to run16-18 minute 5K's is a different ballgame altogether.

I'll stand by my statements......the overwhelming majority of people will never run a 16-18 minute 5K no matter how much they run.  Likewise, the overwhelming majority of people who CAN run that fast have always been fast, and could always run....genetics plays a much bigger role than anything else when it comes to running fast.  Sure there is work to be done....but I think most people would be shocked at how little some of these fast folks, especially the young ones, actually run.

2013-07-09 10:29 AM

While at the VERY pointy end (like sub17) I'll def agree with you, I patently disagree with you that most people don't have the capacity to run at FOP speeds, or even age-group local race podium speeds.

I'm a very good example of this. In high school, even though I went all-out nearly for every workout, I maxxed at a 21:xx 5k even after 4 years on the x-country team at 30 or under mpw. I pretty much thought that would be my genetic limit, since I couldn't add any more intensity. And even before high school, despite playing several field sports, I was consistently one of the slowest and weakest kids in terms of being a pure athlete. I clearly had no special genetic potential whatsoever.

Fast forward a decade, and after cranking up the run volume to 30, 40, 50, 70, and even 80+ (obviously as a pure runner), that 5k time dropped to low 18s and half marathon dropped to below 6:30/mile. I could probably have dropped just sub-18 if I'd stayed a pure runner for another 2 years at that volume. And this is from someone who clearly has very to no talent. (My build is also not a runners build - I'm densely muscular, with a BMI that is 'near-obese' because of the added muscle weight.)

The average person can absolutely get plenty fast as a pure runner. Not state-champion fast, but local race age-group winner fast likely, and age-group FOP, absolutely.

Contrary to what people think as well, it does NOT take special genetics to train to run 70+mpw. It takes patience, and a slow cumulative approach. Building mileage at easy aerobic paces is much less risky and injury prone than what triathletes often do, which is to try and go hard on 3 runs per week, often one of which is wayyy too long for their ability.

Edited by yazmaster 2013-07-09 10:30 AM
2013-07-09 10:33 AM

User image

Pro
Originally posted by yazmaster

While at the VERY pointy end (like sub17) I'll def agree with you, I patently disagree with you that most people don't have the capacity to run at FOP speeds, or even age-group local race podium speeds. I'm a very good example of this. In high school, even though I went all-out nearly for every workout, I maxxed at a 21:xx 5k even after 4 years on the x-country team at 30 or under mpw. I pretty much thought that would be my genetic limit, since I couldn't add any more intensity. And even before high school, despite playing several field sports, I was consistently one of the slowest and weakest kids in terms of being a pure athlete. I clearly had no special genetic potential whatsoever. Fast forward a decade, and after cranking up the run volume to 30, 40, 50, 70, and even 80+ (obviously as a pure runner), that 5k time dropped to low 18s and half marathon dropped to below 6:30/mile. I could probably have dropped just sub-18 if I'd stayed a pure runner for another 2 years at that volume. And this is from someone who clearly has very to no talent. (My build is also not a runners build - I'm densely muscular, with a BMI that is 'near-obese' because of the added muscle weight.) The average person can absolutely get plenty fast as a pure runner. Not state-champion fast, but local race age-group winner fast likely, and age-group FOP, absolutely. Contrary to what people think as well, it does NOT take special genetics to train to run 70+mpw. It takes patience, and a slow cumulative approach. Building mileage at easy aerobic paces is much less risky and injury prone than what triathletes often do, which is to try and go hard on 3 runs per week, often one of which is wayyy too long for their ability.

Great job....and I would certainly call you an outlier and disagree that the AVERAGE person can get to that level.  If they could, an 18:00 5K would be average.....and it's not even in the ballpark of average for a 5K.

You are right....it does not take special genetics to learn to run 70 mpw.....but it takes special genetics to run fast.  I guess we can debate whether or not 18:00 is actually fast....but I think what you'll see it an outcry that 18:00 is smoking fast....because most people can never get there.

ETA - I think your last paragraph is absolutely on the mark.

Edited by Left Brain 2013-07-09 10:44 AM

2013-07-09 11:09 AM

Again, you have to consider:

How many people actually run 70mpw? It's eminently doable by most people in good health but it does take significant dedication. It does NOT require special gifts.

If everyone was running 70mpw and throwing in a speed session in once per week, I believe you'd see a ton of 18-19xx times for males across most age groups short of 50+. As is, the number of people who actually run 70mpw for prolonged periods is small. I've been in quite a few running clubs, and at 70+mpw, I was usually in the top 1-3 guys in terms of mileage per week, even in groups of 50+ runners.

I think my past performance in HS on 30mpw for years, as well as my heavier physique show pretty clearly that I'm not a special outlier.

And while 18:xx is considered fast for most triathletes (and crazy fast for nonathletes), it is not really fast for a 20-50 year old male running 70mpw with a speed session on top, especially if he's been doing it for years. You don't require special leg speed to run 6min/mile pace - nearly anybody can do it for very brief spurts. What's hard is to maintain it for 1 mile, 3 miles, 13 miles, and onwards. That's what that big mileage does, as you know.

If I took 20 random men ages 20-50, and had the opportunity for them to train up to 70mpw with one speedwork session per week over a year or more depending on their background, and then held then at that volume for 1-2 years, I'd expect nearly all of them to be under 20:xx and a huge proportion of them sub-19. I've been on marathon forums where other guys like me trained similarly, and I'm not at all an outlier in my results - almost all the guys who ran my volume were actually faster than me at HM+ distances and similar for 5k-10k.

Basically, triathletes who want to get better at running need to run more. A LOT more in many cases. Doesn't necessarily mean a lot harder - just more.
2013-07-09 11:22 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by yazmaster Again, you have to consider: How many people actually run 70mpw? It's eminently doable by most people in good health but it does take significant dedication. It does NOT require special gifts. If everyone was running 70mpw and throwing in a speed session in once per week, I believe you'd see a ton of 18-19xx times for males across most age groups short of 50+. As is, the number of people who actually run 70mpw for prolonged periods is small. I've been in quite a few running clubs, and at 70+mpw, I was usually in the top 1-3 guys in terms of mileage per week, even in groups of 50+ runners. I think my past performance in HS on 30mpw for years, as well as my heavier physique show pretty clearly that I'm not a special outlier. And while 18:xx is considered fast for most triathletes (and crazy fast for nonathletes), it is not really fast for a 20-50 year old male running 70mpw with a speed session on top, especially if he's been doing it for years. You don't require special leg speed to run 6min/mile pace - nearly anybody can do it for very brief spurts. What's hard is to maintain it for 1 mile, 3 miles, 13 miles, and onwards. That's what that big mileage does, as you know. If I took 20 random men ages 20-50, and had the opportunity for them to train up to 70mpw with one speedwork session per week over a year or more depending on their background, and then held then at that volume for 1-2 years, I'd expect nearly all of them to be under 20:xx and a huge proportion of them sub-19. I've been on marathon forums where other guys like me trained similarly, and I'm not at all an outlier in my results - almost all the guys who ran my volume were actually faster than me at HM+ distances and similar for 5k-10k. Basically, triathletes who want to get better at running need to run more. A LOT more in many cases. Doesn't necessarily mean a lot harder - just more.

Right, not that many really reach 70 mpw, let alone average that for any length of time. Not that many do it for 50 even, which is what was posted before. And (continuing some other items from previous posts) the post that triggered this discussion wanted to get to 18, which I take as 18.xx. Not sub 18, certainly not 16. The point about the 30 days challenge was that was one develops into being able to run a much bigger volume, and how to do so. I honestly don't know if 18-19 would become "average" if that volume was reached by the majority, but that speed would certainly become substantially more common.

2013-07-09 11:31 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by yazmaster Again, you have to consider: How many people actually run 70mpw? It's eminently doable by most people in good health but it does take significant dedication. It does NOT require special gifts. If everyone was running 70mpw and throwing in a speed session in once per week, I believe you'd see a ton of 18-19xx times for males across most age groups short of 50+. As is, the number of people who actually run 70mpw for prolonged periods is small. I've been in quite a few running clubs, and at 70+mpw, I was usually in the top 1-3 guys in terms of mileage per week, even in groups of 50+ runners. I think my past performance in HS on 30mpw for years, as well as my heavier physique show pretty clearly that I'm not a special outlier. And while 18:xx is considered fast for most triathletes (and crazy fast for nonathletes), it is not really fast for a 20-50 year old male running 70mpw with a speed session on top, especially if he's been doing it for years. You don't require special leg speed to run 6min/mile pace - nearly anybody can do it for very brief spurts. What's hard is to maintain it for 1 mile, 3 miles, 13 miles, and onwards. That's what that big mileage does, as you know. If I took 20 random men ages 20-50, and had the opportunity for them to train up to 70mpw with one speedwork session per week over a year or more depending on their background, and then held then at that volume for 1-2 years, I'd expect nearly all of them to be under 20:xx and a huge proportion of them sub-19. I've been on marathon forums where other guys like me trained similarly, and I'm not at all an outlier in my results - almost all the guys who ran my volume were actually faster than me at HM+ distances and similar for 5k-10k. Basically, triathletes who want to get better at running need to run more. A LOT more in many cases. Doesn't necessarily mean a lot harder - just more.

#1 - most of thyem would break down.

#2 - we're talking sub 18.....not 20.

I agree with your last sentence. That's what makes you a better runner.......but most people can't get under 18....including, apparently, you.  I don't mean that to be snarky at all, and I know it probably comes across that way.  I think sub 19 is fantastic and the work you put in for it is beyond a worthy effort.....but you still weren't sub 18, which is what we are talking about.  So even with your stellar work you couldn't get there.

My son lined up for his first 5K at 14 years old....had never ran more than 2 miles in his life, and I doubt he ever ran more than 2 or 3 days a week.  17:40.  At 15 he will break 4:30 in a mile this year and I suspect he'll go under 16 in a stand alone 5K (he's still working on his speed off the bike)....he still doesn't run 20 miles a week.  I'm not holding him up as the top of anything......I spend alot of time with/watching crazy fast kids. Many faster than him.  It's genetics.

The overwhelming majority of people, no matter how much they run, will never run a sub 18 5K.  The majority of the people who can do it can just run.....they were born to it.

2013-07-09 11:40 AM

Ok, sub-18, I'll go with you. I def agree there's a range of talent, and sub-18 (or some similar speed) is around an area where you may very well need talent to go that fast. (I still think I can go sub-18 with enough training - I was 18:05 on a hilly 5k at best.) Still, I don't think many here would argue that for an age-grouper triathlete, 18:xx is plenty fast for most.

And I totally disagree that people would break down. You'll break down if you dive in 70mpw right away, sure, but if you build up slowly and gradually, your odds of injury with this slow buildup are actually very low. Far lower than a triathlete who's running a mere 3x per week but often throwing in a fair amount of intensity in there. This whole "I break down with higher mileage" idea is more often than not a real physical limitation, but an error of impatient training methods that ramp up too fast or too hard.

I totally agree with you on genetics being a big factor, and is more often than not THE limiting factor for elite or regional champion levels, but for age-grouper triathletes, it is almost always NOT a limiting factor to even podium.

Edited by yazmaster 2013-07-09 11:48 AM
2013-07-09 12:17 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by yazmaster Ok, sub-18, I'll go with you. I def agree there's a range of talent, and sub-18 (or some similar speed) is around an area where you may very well need talent to go that fast. (I still think I can go sub-18 with enough training - I was 18:05 on a hilly 5k at best.) Still, I don't think many here would argue that for an age-grouper triathlete, 18:xx is plenty fast for most. And I totally disagree that people would break down. You'll break down if you dive in 70mpw right away, sure, but if you build up slowly and gradually, your odds of injury with this slow buildup are actually very low. Far lower than a triathlete who's running a mere 3x per week but often throwing in a fair amount of intensity in there. This whole "I break down with higher mileage" idea is more often than not a real physical limitation, but an error of impatient training methods that ramp up too fast or too hard. I totally agree with you on genetics being a big factor, and is more often than not THE limiting factor for elite or regional champion levels, but for age-grouper triathletes, it is almost always NOT a limiting factor to even podium.

Agreed 100%.  But a podium in a local triathlon is NOT a sub 18 5K.  In fact, I would absolutely agree than many, many people can get on the podium at a local triathlon if they work hard enough.....genetics be damned. 

That's a whole 'nother bone to pick apart because I can't count the number of people I've seen leave triathlon over the years because they podiumed a local race or two, thought they were headed to the top of the sport, spent crazy amounts of time and money, and then found out what fast really looks like.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike ability vs Running ability Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Spouse as training partner – different ability levels Pages: 1 2

Started by BJC
Views: 2142 Posts: 26

2009-08-06 6:18 AM audiojan

Bike Advice - Climbing Ability?

Started by ninecrushes
Views: 1851 Posts: 10

2009-03-05 4:18 PM BRinSM

Indoor Trainers with ability to record power (watts)

Started by roadrunner1659
Views: 2909 Posts: 8

2008-11-15 6:57 PM keyone

Ability to hold breath longer

Started by TerryW
Views: 1326 Posts: 19

2007-11-21 8:17 PM rstocks3

HIM ability woes

Started by thegomer
Views: 973 Posts: 5

2006-02-28 5:41 PM TriBodyboarder
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 6, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
A Walmart bike, a borrowed road bike or a new carbon fiber bike? You don't need to break the bank for your first triathlon bike.

date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."
date : October 14, 2010
comments : 0
A review of the Shimano 105 vesus SRAM Rival Time Trial component group differences.

date : May 24, 2010
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on preventing over-rotation, free golf, strength and core training, the importance of the kick and high turnover vs low turnover.
date : October 8, 2008
comments : 2
What kind of time difference would one expect in changing from a road bike with aerobars to a tri bike with aerobars over a HIM distance if using the same wheelset?

date : October 9, 2007
author : dr_forbush
comments : 9
The boat was being tossed around. Someone noted that there were whitecaps on the waves. Another guy said, “This is going to be challenging.” I began to wonder what he meant by 'challenging'.
date : May 1, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on periodization, tubular vs clinchers, swimming cadence, 650's vs 700's, plan priority, RAAM after double IM and swim training before race day.

date : December 13, 2004
author : kanoelani
My first experience as a triathlete and my post-season plan.