Musselman Triathlon
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 44m 21s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 18/30
Pre-race routine:

Was really nervous for some reason...moreso than usual. Choked down a bagel with PB but couldnt get down the banana. Had some gatorade and a few honey stinger chews.
Event warmup:

Stuffed myself into my wetsuit and tried to stay calm. It wasn't my first half or even my first time at musselman, but nerves were really acting up!
Swim
  • 43m
  • 1931 meters
  • 02m 14s / 100 meters
Comments:

Actually stayed on course and felt good the whole swim. A little side cramping halfway through, as usual, but went away after a few minutes
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. This was a great swim for me. 6 minutes off last year and 2 minutes faster than my HIM PR.
Transition 1
  • 01m 43s
Comments:

Good T1...2nd fastest in my age group so I can't complain

It was a cluster at the mount line. I should have just ran my bike a little further and gotten on instead of trying to weave around everyone fumbling on their bikes
Bike
  • 3h 22m
  • 56 miles
  • 16.63 mile/hr
Comments:

It was heating up a lot....managed to get down almost 2 bottles an hour of infinit and lots of salt. 16 minutes faster than last year! Not biking through thunderstorms helped there.

I could have pushed it a little more...the whole ride felt easy and more like IM pace instead of HIM. I could have definitely done 2 loops....maybe Musselman should start a full IM! That would be fun :)
Transition 2
  • 03m 20s
Comments:

This could have been faster. I didn't take my shoes off on the bike because there were too many people around and I didn't want to wreck. Transition was getting slippery and muddy so I had to stop and take off my shoes and then run with them.

Get feet out of shoes on the bike
Run
  • 2h 33m
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

Focused on surviving the heat. Aid stations were AMAZING...water, salt, heed, gels, chews, pretzels, fruit, coke, ice, sponges at every one. I always took water, coke, ice down the bra, and a sponge and then had some salt and gels when I needed them. There were awesome spectators with hoses to spray us with which was a huge help to keep me cool. No GI distress on a hot day so I consider that a win even though it was about 15 minutes slower than I wanted.

I could have pushed it a little the last 3-4 miles in the home stretch but I was having a great time chatting with other racers and volunteers and still walked away with a 5 minute HIM run PR so I'll take it!
Post race
Warm down:

Sprayed myself off with the hoses and sat in the ice bath for awhile. It was great having the "cool down" tent!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The heat

Event comments:

My favorite race. Can't say enough good things about Jeff Henderson, the RD, and the whole Musselman team. Fantastic!

Last updated: 2012-12-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:43:00 | 1931 meters | 02m 14s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/30
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Full
Course: Counterclockwise through lake and into the channel
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:43
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:22:00 | 56 miles | 16.63 mile/hr
Wind: Little
Course: Beautiful flat course through the country with great views of the lakes. Easy ride except for the 1 hill followed by some headwinds and then the couple miles of rough road through Sampson Park. Overall one of my favorite courses.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:20
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:33:00 | 13.1 miles | 11m 41s  min/mile
HRM wasn't working...said HR was 80-100 for the first 3 miles which was wrong. Had to go by RPE and then threw that out the window and just focused on surviving. It was HOT
Course: 3 miles flat, 3.5 miles net uphill, 3.5 miles net downhill, 3 miles flat. Some tough hills (run up a grass hill or up a flight of stairs at mile 3) and the long gravel hill at mile 7. GREAT spectator support and awesome volunteers
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-07-16 3:36 PM

User image

Regular
Pittsburgh
Subject: Musselman Half-Iron Triathlon

2013-07-16 6:53 PM
in reply to: #4806042

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Musselman Half-Iron Triathlon

Nice race, Sarah!

It was good meeting you!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Musselman Half-Iron Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Musselman Half-Iron Triathlon Pages: 1 2

Started by jazz82482
Views: 7282 Posts: 46

2009-03-23 1:51 AM doctorbob18

Musselman Half-Iron Triathlon

Started by Jachlopecki
Views: 2036 Posts: 1

2008-07-14 2:56 PM Jachlopecki

Started by ds97a
Views: 2646 Posts: 1

2008-07-14 2:30 PM ds97a

Started by billsfan200474
Views: 2526 Posts: 1

2008-07-14 2:10 PM billsfan200474

Started by k_hase
Views: 2763 Posts: 7

2008-07-15 12:19 PM Mimir98
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 28, 2012
author : writingrunner
comments : 0
How my first half iron distance triathlon brought back feelings of high school competition.

date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : July 23, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 2
See the Musselman, Mini-Mussel, the ITU Race and the Mussel Kids race video feeds, race reports and pictures.
date : July 3, 2006
author : mrakes1
Although you can receive all of your vitamins and minerals through foods eaten in the diet, nutritional products used for training may not allow you to meet recommendations on a daily basis.

date : January 29, 2006
author : sl2302
I just had a couple of problems, I could count the number of triathlons I had contested at zero. Secondly, I could count on one hand the number of times I had been swimming in the last 17 years.
date : September 3, 2005
author : chrisandniki
This is not an easy task, especially for the “9-to-5er” with family. But you can do it – all without sacrificing your marriage, job or family.

date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
comments : 40
This half Ironman plan covers many weeks of challenging, but attainable training for someone who has some endurance experience, and ideally some Olympic distance races within the past season.