Run Melbourne
10C / 50F
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 12m 8s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Green smoothie for breakfast. I think a piece of toast or a crumpet might have been beneficial too.
Event warmup:

Brr no chance!
Run
  • 2h 12m 8s
  • 21.1 kms
  • 06m 16s  min/km
Comments:

While it was cold I was so very thankful that it didn't rain like it has the past couple of days.
I started in one of the last waves for the half. On the website they said there would be a 2:10 pacer. I saw the 2:00 but never saw the 2:10. My plan had been to run with them.

As per usual my garmin was out, in the end it was by 300m.

I started off well, had to reign myself in a couple of times early on. Ran relatively comfotably up until 8kms. The doubts started to creep in there. The beeping of kilometers well before the markers was distracting. I'm wondering if next time I just wear a pacing band and a watch.

At 15km things got a little hard. The rises were getting to me. Same again on km 19. By 20 I had very little left in the tank - and I'd had two gels by this stage.

Either way it's my second best half time. Off my pb by about a minute. I didn't have it in me today, but hopefully come October I will.
What would you do differently?:

Speed work. I just didn't do enough, I was focused on endurance.
Know that my garmin is out and/or find some way to fix it! Course measured 21.4 km and was consistent with training pace.
Post race
Warm down:

Lots of walking to support friends running the 5km.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Started to experience quad pain that I usually wouldn't get during or even after training.

Event comments:

Lots of volunteers, race started a touch late, but a better start than I've encountered before. Plenty of entertainment on course with plenty of musical styles to suit almost every taste. Course got crowded at times, but to be expected it's a massive race.

Last updated: 2013-01-08 12:00 AM
Running
02:12:08 | 21.1 kms | 06m 16s  min/km
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-07-21 3:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
Subject: Run Melbourne Half Marathon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Run Melbourne Half Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Melbourne Marathon (Half)

Started by krystyna47
Views: 1565 Posts: 6

2010-10-21 3:19 AM markz

Melbourne Half Marathon

Started by nigelw
Views: 1575 Posts: 7

2010-10-21 3:13 AM markz

Tulsa Route 66 Marathon and Half (Run - Half Marathon)

Started by DMann1
Views: 2204 Posts: 1

2009-11-24 8:59 AM DMann1

Samsung Melbourne Half Marathon

Started by Casie
Views: 1884 Posts: 4

2008-10-14 7:34 AM dragoman

Asics Melbourne Half Marathon

Started by Casie
Views: 1053 Posts: 7

2005-10-11 4:10 AM jmturvey
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?

date : June 15, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
I just ran the Boston Marathon under nine minute miles, can I run eight minute miles for my half Ironman training runs? Or should I go slower?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09

date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.
date : January 29, 2006
author : sl2302
I just had a couple of problems, I could count the number of triathlons I had contested at zero. Secondly, I could count on one hand the number of times I had been swimming in the last 17 years.

date : October 24, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete whose goal is to run a marathon in the 1:30-2:30 range and has a good running base in the past 8-12 weeks.
date : October 2, 2005
author : smeeko
comments : 2
I will assume you have not run consistently more than 6 miles and have never completed a half-marathon. I believe running your first half-marathon is a big task which requires dedication and work.

date : January 10, 2005
author : ewkfit
My training was taking off. I had never felt stronger. I was making bigger strides than I ever had. I was stronger and faster than I had imagined myself ever being.