General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Age Group Nationals---anyone else? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2013-07-28 8:13 PM

Subject: Age Group Nationals---anyone else?
I qualified for Age Group Nationals---my first Olympic. I am beginning to freak out. I am horrible in the water and looking at times from previous years, these people are AMAZING! I feel so out of place. I've never done an Olympic and have only done a handful of sprints. I think my training is okay (with the exception of the swim portion is going to be AWFUL). But it was one of those bucket list things. So anyone else doing AG Nationals just to say "you did it!". 180+ in my age group and I fully expect to be around 180/180!!! I hate that I am being so negative---I am normally not like that. Just feel like I don't know what I got myself into!

2013-07-28 9:06 PM
in reply to: ColoradoRunner01

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Subject: RE: Age Group Nationals---anyone else?

:)

I think it's awesome that your first oly is going to be AGN.  Good for you! 

In a way, you have a very enviable position.  There is absolutely no pressure on you to perform, you're going to be racing against some of the best athletes in your sport at the AG level, and it is going to be a lot of fun when you're racing and when you're not racing.

You will learn a ton in this race.

Deep breath.

You got this.

2013-07-28 9:48 PM

User image

New user
Athens, GA
I'm going to race not because I'm an amazing triathlete at the pointy tip of the results. I'm doing it because I am just totally average - when can I expect to be able to qualify again? Could be next year, could be five years, could be never! So we're in this together.
2013-07-28 11:26 PM
in reply to: paxsarah

Thanks! This makes me feel better. I still struggle if I have done enough, but I guess you are right....I can PR no matter what Good luck to the competitors!
2013-07-29 6:04 AM

Richmond
I will be there. I looked at last years numbers and got a little freaked out too! There are some stoooopid fast people out there. There are some average ones too. Don't let it get you too freaked out.

Good luck and I will maybe see you on race day. What is your AG by the way?
2013-10-04 8:27 AM

Just got my postcard in the mail!

2013-10-04 8:30 AM
in reply to: corduroy

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
considering it...

Not sure if I can get down to a 2:02 Oly by then though :/
2013-10-04 9:07 AM
in reply to: Leegoocrap

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by Leegoocrapconsidering it... Not sure if I can get down to a 2:02 Oly by then though :/
Because you'll only go if you can qualify for Worlds?
2013-10-04 9:15 AM

User image

Melbourne, Florida

I, too, qualified. I'm contemplating it a lot. On one hand, we get to visit my wife's family in Wisconsin. On the other hand, it's an Oly in Wisconsin. Cold water and hills. This Floridian isn't ready for that.

Oh, and I've never run an Olympic tri, either. Surprised

2013-10-04 9:17 AM

Roswell
Just got my email last night. I haven't decided if I'm doing it or not, but I am leaning towards it at this point. Milwaukee is long way from Georgia, though.
2013-10-04 9:20 AM
in reply to: switch

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Originally posted by switch

Originally posted by Leegoocrapconsidering it... Not sure if I can get down to a 2:02 Oly by then though :/

If I were to sign up, it would be with the intention of that, yeah. Although with Worlds being held in Chicago in 2015, I doubt anything over 2 hours would have a shot in M30-34

2013-10-04 9:26 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by Leegoocrap
If I were to sign up, it would be with the intention of that, yeah. Although with Worlds being held in Chicago in 2015, I doubt anything over 2 hours would have a shot in M30-34
Yup, I think it will take a sub 2 for your AG for sure. This may be one of the few times I'm pumped to be a 40yo woman
2013-10-04 9:34 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
hah

What do you need? 2:20ish?
2013-10-04 9:37 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Next year I race at 29, so for worlds I have to qualify for M30-34.  I'm eyeing the sprint to try to get a Worlds spot, but I think that will be just as competitive this year.  I'm in for both, and am looking forward to it win, lose, or draw!

2013-10-04 9:39 AM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
when is the sprint? Next day?
2013-10-04 9:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut

I agree with this - I can't see the point of competing with the best of the best unless you're actually competitive at that level. I feel the same way about Kona - If I were ever to qualify, that would be the accomplishment, but there would be some question about whether or not to go. Travel is pretty damn expensive these days! Btw, I'm not saying I could qualify for Kona. Yet. I got the USAT postcard this morning, too, and while I was happy to get the recognition from a solid season of racing, a few things came to mind quickly
1) I am not a USAT member because I don't care about rankings and don't race enough for the membership cost to be eclipsed by one-day fees
2) I have no desire to spend vacation days in Milwaukee.
3) That's pretty expensive for an Olympic
4) Oh my, what a concentration of d-bags that promises to be.

I'm not calling you a d-bag if you're going, I'm only saying there's going to be a lot there. I have a lot of trouble understanding USAT's mission. If Rev3 got and started renting out insurance like USAT does, I don't know if races being USAT certified would be seen as a statement of anything. For $45 you get a sticker discount on any race you do after your fourth per year, a sticker, a crappy magazine, and the privilege of possibly qualifying to race with other people who qualified. Not much of a value proposition in my estimation.

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by Leegoocraphah What do you need? 2:20ish?
This past year 2:20 would have done it in that AG. I think it may need to be closer to 2:18 because of Chicago.

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by Leegoocrap when is the sprint? Next day?

Yeah.  I have a few months to think about what my strategy is.  I've done well with back to back races for Memphis in May, so maybe go 85-90% for the Oly and 100% for the sprint?  I may actually have to get some coaches' advice for this.  Looking at the times from this year, I could make the sprint happen.  However that's not factoring Chicago hype.

2013-10-04 9:42 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by Leegoocrapwhen is the sprint? Next day?
yeah, the next day. Lots of guys so both. Psychos
2013-10-04 9:43 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by Leegoocrapwhen is the sprint? Next day?
yeah, the next day. Lots of guys so both. Psychos

Ya talkin' to me?!!

2013-10-04 9:51 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
What's the course like? Tough, long/short ?

2013-10-04 10:03 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by Leegoocrap What's the course like? Tough, long/short ?

Apparently the sprint is tougher in that it contains the tough parts of the Olympic bike.  I don't have full intel yet.  I'll be spending a lot of time researching it the next few weeks.

2013-10-04 10:23 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

This D-bag just registered for both!!!  Laughing

I'm actually psyched to spend some vaca time in MKE.  Two words:  They have beer.  Wink

As for USAT?  Meh.  I don't belong so I can go to this race or that race - for me, it's all just part of triathlon.  Because of that, I pay the dues and race.  Kinda like WTC/Rev/Whatever.  As long as I get to work out and eventually pin a number on, I'm good.  Don't really care about which brand or who sanctions or whether the race "counts" or which WC I can continue to not qualify for and on and on...  All just part of the mix.

I can't wait to see these races as a participant.  Whether it's a TOTAL chit-show and D-bag convention or all sunshine and light, it's going to be fun, interesting and two TOUGH races!

Maybe I'll even wear body glitter.  Tongue out

Ahem... 

The M45-49 is gonna be faaaaast, so I'll show up as ready as I can be.  As for qualifying?  Not trying to do that - I always try to win! 

Emmmmmm.... Haven't yet, mind you, but that's what I try to do every time.  The body just doesn't always know the plan.

To the OP:  you qualified, so don't overthink it.  You qualified!  Enjoy it in whatever way you can best enjoy it.

OK, 'nuff rambling, but I'm actually really stoked to have just registered for two 2014 races.  Onward!

See y'all there.

Matt

2013-10-04 10:29 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by Leegoocrap What's the course like? Tough, long/short ?

The course is very, very fair.

Milwaukee is a very "doable" city.  It's easy to navigate, not too expensive, lots of close parking by the event.  In terms of logistics I would give it a 9 out of 10.

The swim for the oly is pretty good.  It's a floating start, which is not my favorite, but it's "fine".  One thing that surprised me, but makes perfect sense, is that almost everyone there is a decent swimmer.  You're gonna have a lot more "washing machine" than you do in a regular race, and it lasts quite a bit longer.  There's a narrowing at one of the first buoys that compounds this problem, and then another narrowing at the bridge, which I think was about 400m or so in.  Other than that, it is sheltered, a nice temp (sleeveless is probably ideal), and incredibly easy to sight.  The swim exit ramp is a faching joke, and I personally think it's dangerous, especially for people who have calf, achilles issues, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed they mellow that out for next year. The oly swim was right on distance; the sprint was long by 100-150m, from what I saw and heard.

Transition is HUGE.  I haven't done a lot of events, so I don't have much to compare it to, but it is really big, and that can make it hard to find your bike.  Count on longish t times, but nothing crazy.

Bike mount can be a bit of a cluster too, as there are  surprising number of athletes that don't have a smooth mount (or dismount), and that area can also be a little congested.  Just be ready for that.

The bike. Hmmm.  The bike for the oly is tough, but fair.  There are some decent long, "slow" climbs.  There's on early before the first turn around, which I didn't think was too bad, but it was definitely there.  The bridge is a bit of a suckfest.  It's deceptively long, and you can get some gusts off the lake while you're on it cause you're so exposed.  Again, it's "fine" but it ain't easy.  Once you get off the bridge, things are pretty straightforward.  A few turns, nothing too technical, a turn around which is "fine" and then back to the bridge.  Coming down the bridge the second time you can really build up some speed and there are some crap spots in the road. I stayed aero for that, but in retrospect that was probably dumb.  It wasn't that fast (36mph) just crap roads.  There's a fairly tight set of turns coming back into transition.  Again, just be ready for a little congestion here.  Didn't see a lot of drafting in the oly, but did see big groups during the sprint as they had a timing snafu and bunched up a few waves.

The run is very straightforward.  True to distance, flat, plenty of aid stations.  I would have liked to see it better marked, but I think I was just out of it, and it wasn't necessarily a failing on their part. 

There are lots of cheap places to stay just outside of the city, if you care about that.  I stayed at a Comfort Suites or something like that and it was only $130/night.  Lots of decent food options.

As for Fisherman's dbag comments, I guess I would just say that there are dbags everywhere.  What I saw at this race were a lot of people just really, really excited to be there.  Everyone seemed really nice and there was a fun vibe in the group.

I think even if you can't qualify for Worlds, but you could have a competitive race, it could be worth the trip.  There's something to be said about toeing the line with that many fast athletes.

2013-10-04 10:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi
Nice review!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Age Group Nationals---anyone else? Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED POSTS

Anyone qualifier for age group nationals?

Started by mdiet22
Views: 689 Posts: 2

2011-09-08 7:38 PM 5stones

USAT Age Group Nationals

Started by grit_nugget
Views: 1402 Posts: 10

2007-08-06 10:58 PM MForger18

2007 USAT age group nationals?

Started by xterratri
Views: 1371 Posts: 5

2006-11-09 5:20 PM markdills38

age group nationals results?

Started by anna banana
Views: 1083 Posts: 4

2006-07-09 8:06 PM Manatee Express

Qualifying for age-group nationals

Started by shadowfax
Views: 1428 Posts: 14

2006-05-17 5:27 AM sappho96
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 18, 2013
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
BT amateurs compete in San Diego race on the world stage.

date : September 16, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
Part Two: On Appreciation and Acceptance. At some point your body will let you down. Then you have to decide whether it is really the enemy.
date : August 19, 2011
comments : 1
Part One: On Speed, Desire and Age. There are some advantages to running slowly. Now, give me a minute here and I'll try to think of one.

date : April 14, 2011
author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
A disappointing start to the season need not set the tone.
date : March 10, 2011
comments : 1
Tinley on triathlon, aging, and the attitude of a masters athlete

date : August 17, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
37-year-old Bill Fults is an age-group triathlete. But by day he's an Air Flight Paramedic. He also spent the better part of a decade as an Army Ranger.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
The start of the race I had the jitters. I was watching the other age groups start as they seeded the swim with over 1000 participants.