Pro
McKinney, TX
Subject: RE: Nice frickin shirt...
Originally posted by switch

Originally posted by bradleyd3
Originally posted by mehaner
Originally posted by lisac957

Someone who's been married to a triathlete, gone to a lot of races as a sherpa, and reads triathlete magazine may think they know a lot about how to race a HIM, and I'll certainly listen to what they say, but will I give it any weight? Nope. Do I think they sound foolish giving triathletes advice? Damn straight. 

Exactly. And this goes on in every area of this site, it's not limited to kids/no kids but for some reason the kids/no kids issue compels people to be huge dbags on both sides.

There are threads EVERY DAY in tri talk where someone will ask a question about something like Ironman. Half of the responses start off "Well I've never done an Ironman but..." - of COURSE their opinion won't carry as much weight as the Kona qualifier. But they may very well still have a valid point. For example you don't have to do an Ironman to know that nutrition is key, or XYZ might help with that long ride issue you've been having. 

hey, at least everyone agrees that weight lifting is important for tri training ;-)

Crossfit....

Shouldn't you guys be in TAN?

Isn't this a thread about shirts?

2013-08-08 10:41 AM
in reply to: bradleyd3

User image

Champion
Chicago

Someone who's been married to a triathlete, gone to a lot of races as a sherpa, and reads triathlete magazine may think they know a lot about how to race a HIM, and I'll certainly listen to what they say, but will I give it any weight? Nope. Do I think they sound foolish giving triathletes advice? Damn straight. 

Exactly. And this goes on in every area of this site, it's not limited to kids/no kids but for some reason the kids/no kids issue compels people to be huge dbags on both sides.

There are threads EVERY DAY in tri talk where someone will ask a question about something like Ironman. Half of the responses start off "Well I've never done an Ironman but..." - of COURSE their opinion won't carry as much weight as the Kona qualifier. But they may very well still have a valid point. For example you don't have to do an Ironman to know that nutrition is key, or XYZ might help with that long ride issue you've been having. 

hey, at least everyone agrees that weight lifting is important for tri training ;-)

Crossfit....

Buckets.
2013-08-08 10:42 AM
in reply to: mr2tony

User image

Pro
Originally posted by mr2tony

Crossfit....
Buckets.

Unlimited.

2013-08-08 10:50 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Left Brain

Well damn.....now I wish I would have PM'd you so I could be like the cool kids instead of just throwing it out on the board. Laughing

ETA - for the purpose of full disclosure, I've never owned a box turtle, but I think they eat lettuce.

Without Googling it, what are 4 signs of turtle distress? 

2013-08-08 10:51 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Well, this thread got derailed from the T-shirt conversation....

Couple comments.  Switch, I agree.  The rules are probably a good thing, but there is always negatives like you mentioned.  Since people are not allowed to say what they might (which isn't always a bad thing).  People resort to snarky, semi hidden, passive aggressive comments instead in attempts to skirt the rules.  I guess under the pretense of "I didn't SAY that or MEAN that" - when they did.  I would rather be called a D-bag to my face, than some random comment that's obviously geared to me in some backhanded way.  It's insulting to think I don't know what they are talking about and cowardly.

I think the kid comment is a running joke (at least for me), that any time a topic gets heated there is SOMEONE bound to say something after they run out of arguments "well, you just don't get it."  Or "you don't have kids, so you don't understand", or "you never did an IM, so you don't know", etc.  Sometimes people DO have valid comments and to dismiss them by dropping the "you just don't get it"?  So I occasionally drop that "I must not get it" thing as a joke since it's bound to come out eventually.  I used to use that crappy "I don't know but I stayed at a holliday inn last night - then spit out a comment"  I can honestly say I have no clue who ever said the "you don't have kids so..." thing.  OR which thread(s).  But I do know it has come up several times, which always makes me chuckle.  Then you get someone's retaliation of "I teach school children but have none of my own so I don't know?" and the like.  Always goes downhill fast when someone feels dismissed or their opinion discounted.

About the cliques?  I guess that always happens.  People with similar ideologies hang out.  Which is FINE by me.  Surround yourself with like minded people, but just don't isolate yourself from others that may have differing opinions.  I like to think that I try to at least understand every side of an argument, even if I disagree with it.  At least try to understand  how they formed that opinion.  The problem with cliques or some of the "d-bags" on any side of an argument as Lisa mentioned is that "if you don't agree with me, I'll dismiss you as 'not getting it'".

I would wager that a lot of people that are at odds with each other, would probably get along well enough in real life.  The internet brings out the worst in people most of the time.  Not the best of them, unfortunately.

2013-08-08 10:51 AM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas
Originally posted by Aarondb4

I like these two...

Back to the topic.  Those shirts are hilarious and awful at the same time.  I can imagine someone would put that shirt on their own kid - now another person's kid might be funny.  Could you imagine looking at your baby book when you grow up and see a picture of yourself in one of those shirts?

2013-08-08 10:53 AM
in reply to: Hook'em

User image

Sensei
Sin City

A clever T-shirt is always good for a laugh.  I guess in my old fogy ways, profanity or overly crass is just not funny.

Did you see the new one?  It says FBI   -  Female Body Inspector...  bwahahaha

2013-08-08 10:54 AM
in reply to: Hook'em

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
I threw out the comment (in this thread) about not having kids so no opinion in this thread. It was meant as a joke at Tony's expense.
2013-08-08 10:54 AM
in reply to: KateTri1

User image

Pro
Originally posted by KateTri1

Well damn.....now I wish I would have PM'd you so I could be like the cool kids instead of just throwing it out on the board. Laughing

ETA - for the purpose of full disclosure, I've never owned a box turtle, but I think they eat lettuce.

Fine.....so you're a turtle owner....whatever.  Now I guess I can't have an opinion?

2013-08-08 10:57 AM

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

Rapid heart rate; sudden numbness on one side of its face; sharp pain in its left arm; making it to the middle of a 4 lane highway right before rush hour.

2013-08-08 10:58 AM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Regular
Madrid

This is a pretty cool story.

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/07/11/world/internet-trolling/index.html?hpt=hp_c1

And did anyone else see the story about a plane hitting a cow in Indonesia ?

2013-08-08 11:05 AM
in reply to: jford2309

User image

Champion
Chicago
Originally posted by jford2309

I threw out the comment (in this thread) about not having kids so no opinion in this thread. It was meant as a joke at Tony's expense.

This is why nobody likes you. And by `nobody,' I mean `me.'
2013-08-08 11:08 AM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

Originally posted by jford2309 I threw out the comment (in this thread) about not having kids so no opinion in this thread. It was meant as a joke at Tony's expense.
This is why nobody likes you. And by `nobody,' I mean `me.'

Only thing right about that sentence is that you are a nobody!

2013-08-08 11:09 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Expert

But they may very well still have a valid point. 

Personally, the only point I think I've ever made on BT about the whole parents vs non parent advice is this. 

In my own experience, generally, NO ONE cares for unsolicited parenting suggestions. And even when advice is solicited, giving it as a point of shared experience usually helps it digest better. 

Also, there are a number of parents I know that I take with a grain of salt when they start throwing out their un-solicited parenting "expertise". Usually, they are the loudest, and their kids are a mess... 

2013-08-08 11:11 AM

User image

Master
Livonia, MI
Originally posted by Kido

A clever T-shirt is always good for a laugh.  I guess in my old fogy ways, profanity or overly crass is just not funny.

Shirts and hats with FBI on them were very popular in the 90's.  Back then we said it stood for Female Booby Inspectors. Laughing

2013-08-08 11:11 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Expert

Fine.....so you're a turtle owner....whatever.  Now I guess I can't have an opinion?

Like I said before LB, you are a drama queen. Tongue out

2013-08-08 11:13 AM
in reply to: noelle1230

User image

Expert
Originally posted by noelle1230

Shirts and hats with FBI on them were very popular in the 90's.  Back then we said it stood for Female Booby InspectorsLaughing

I like the "female" part. It could carry several subtle innuendoes. 

2013-08-08 11:15 AM

User image

Pro

Like I said before LB, you are a drama queen. Tongue out

Limited

2013-08-08 11:15 AM

User image

Master
Denver

I would wager that a lot of people that are at odds with each other, would probably get along well enough in real life.  The internet brings out the worst in people most of the time.  Not the best of them, unfortunately.

How do I know whether to trust your opinion? Have you ever even used the internets?
2013-08-08 11:27 AM
in reply to: drewb8

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Maybe T-shirts are more powerful than I first imagined?

What a kerfuffle...

2013-08-08 11:30 AM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
I used to have a t shirt that said "Satan is a Nerd". I loved wearing that around and seeing the reactions I got to it.

2013-08-08 11:32 AM
in reply to: jford2309

User image

Champion
Chicago
Originally posted by jford2309

I used to have a t shirt that said "Satan is a Nerd". I loved wearing that around and seeing the reactions I got to it.

That would upset me because Satan doesn't exist. Nerds do. You can't compare someone who doesn't exist to someone who does. That's like saying `Would Superman beat Batman in a fight?'
2013-08-08 11:34 AM

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL
Originally posted by Pector55

I would agree that's it's pretty classless, but honestly, since when did T-Shirts become the conveyance of enlightened literature or poignant commentary?  It's a T-shirt people.  Go to any souvenir shop or Spencer's Gifts and see a pluthera of tasteless T-shirts.  I guess I take T-shirt quotes a little tongue in cheek and wouldn't associated it with poor parenting or social degradation.

I have never been a fan of the "humorous" T-shirts, however, the tuxedo T-shirt still sort of makes me chuckle.. 

This must be a poke the snake time for you, huh?

A parent buying that shirt for their kid, or a number of other things, like the pants and shorts with words written on the butt, do, indeed, seem like bad parenting choices to me, and, yep, another type of social degradation. 

There are tons of good t-shirts out there...why not buy one for your kid that is just positive all the way around?  I love Tony's "Nerd" shirt.  My kids have "Bookworm" shirts, nature themed t-shirts, t-shirts with (gasp!) no words or logos.  I really think it's OK to use critical thinking when making these choices, especially when it comes to spending money and creating an image with which your kids identify. 

As for humorous shirts, thinkgeek.com has some that I think are pretty funny, but I guess it all depends on your sense of humor.  A t-shirt that portrays a girl as being good at spending money and not at math isn't ever going to seem funny to me.

I'm not familiar with that term.  I'm not trying to poke anything...

I think we can all agree that since T-shirts were made, there have been plenty of tasteless, crass, rude, crude, raunchy, stupid, disgusting, and obnoxious ones printed up.  So NOW is the time to get offended if a kid has one that says they are born to wear diamonds?

I saw some nasty red neck chick wearing a coat embroidered on the back "if you like my mountains, you'll love my bush"...  I threw up in my mouth a bit.  After seeing that?  The "born to wear diamonds" doesn't seem that bad.

Well now.. if you didn't love her mountains, why not just stop there? ;-) I happend to know of an extremely sexy crossfit chick who has a shirt that references "If you love my (something) you'll love my snatch." Now that is clearly just a reference to the exercise but perves may find it offensive simply because they took it the wrong way. Maybe your redneck chick is merely making reference to Busch beer and simply spelled it wrong.
The ones I don't get are simply one cuss word. I swear as much as the next guy but I just don't understand.

A T-shirt they sell, or used to sell, at The Alley on Clark said "F*** you, you F***ing F***". Makes me laugh every time and Beth almost bought it knowing she would never wear it. 

2013-08-08 11:38 AM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

Originally posted by jford2309 I used to have a t shirt that said "Satan is a Nerd". I loved wearing that around and seeing the reactions I got to it.
That would upset me because Satan doesn't exist. Nerds do. You can't compare someone who doesn't exist to someone who does. That's like saying `Would Superman beat Batman in a fight?'

That is the craziest statement you have ever mumbled on this site!!!!!

Everyone knows Batman would totally win!

2013-08-08 12:34 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Soo the other day I'm running with my husband on a rather busy multi use path. I realized his shirt which was a freebie promo for a friend's company says " Beach forecast: Today...Heavy liquid sedation, Tonight... Extended periods of "gettin' it on"

Nice! Glad I could be a part of that. I can't imagine the thoughts of the people biking past us.

It's at least 20 years old and I thought it was long gone.

Thanks for reminding me of it- I'm heading to the closet and then for a trip out to the trash can :-)

ETA the tag line is "Sportswear for the drinking Athlete."

Edited by Moonrocket 2013-08-08 12:35 PM
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Nice frickin shirt... Rss Feed  

of 8

RELATED POSTS

FRICKIN' LIAR! Pages: 1 2

Started by Bigfuzzydoug
Views: 2722 Posts: 35

2009-07-27 7:42 AM Bigfuzzydoug

Holy Frickin Addictive!

Started by ryanlc