General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HIM Nutrition Plan feedback Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-08-10 12:27 PM

User image

Utah
Subject: HIM Nutrition Plan feedback
I am doing my first 70.3 in two weeks. I have been practicing my nutrition with good success on my long bikes and runs, but I am wondering how I might alter it on race day as this race is August 24, and the course is NOT shaded whatsoever, and the temps are supposed to be around 95, as they have typically been in years past.

My plan I have been practicing this summer and in other races that were not that warm is as follows:

A few sips of Perpetuem every 15 minutes
1/2 Bonk Breaker Bar every hour
Salt tab every 30 minutes
Water through out in aerobottle on bars

Powerbar Gel every 2-3 miles on the run and water at all aid stations.

I anticipate a bike time around 3 hours, and a total race time around 6:30

I am 5'8 and 138 pound female if that makes any difference.

If it is that warm that day, other than increasing water, would you adjust anything else? More salt tabs perhaps?

2013-08-10 12:58 PM
in reply to: KatieLimb

User image

Subject: RE: HIM Nutrition Plan feedback

At this point I wouldn't alter any of your nutrition plans if everything has been working for you in training thus far.  You've only got 2 more weeks, I am guessing you don't have sufficient time to test any long term nutrition plan and validate it will work on race day.

The key with any plan is to have plan B and plan C readily available and know what the signs are FOR YOU that the plan needs to be changed.  I've said this many times and it applies to a lot of things regarding long course strategy, but you should never follow a plan (whether it be pacing, nutrition, etc) "no matter what." (Cue Apollo Creed telling Rocky Balboa not to stop the fight against the Russian

You simulate your nutrition plan in training to give you an idea of what you should do on race day, but make no mistake, training is not racing...there are differences...so your 100% fool proof nutrition plan you devised during training may need some tweaking on race day.

2013-08-11 7:01 AM
in reply to: KatieLimb

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: HIM Nutrition Plan feedback
To me that sounds like a lot of gels on the run--it sounds like you'll be having 4 to 6-- but if you have tested in it training it may be okay. I find that by the latter stages of a half marathon or marathon, or by the run of an Oly or longer tri, my GI system has pretty much shut down; at most I can tolerate one gel (at maybe halfway) and water and/or some sports drink. In my HIM I supplemented this with a few orange slices and pretzels that I grabbed from aid stations in the first few miles as I was just tired of gel after two of them (plus an energy bar) on the bike. This is probably pretty minimal compared to many but I had a strong finish and didn't "bonk". I simply couldn't have gotten anything else down; in fact couldn't until more than an hour after the race. I've also found that training and racing here in tropical heat/humidity, I need/desire less food on a long ride than when I'm training or racing in a milder climate. Heat can definitely impact your appetite and ability to get down food, maybe because it forces you to drink more liquids and that takes up room in your stomach.

It's good to have a tested plan, but be prepared to modify it if your body reacts to the fatigue levels or heat differently than you'd anticipated.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HIM Nutrition Plan feedback Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Feedback on plan of overcoming ITBS Pages: 1 2

Started by timf79
Views: 3244 Posts: 27

2012-07-16 9:07 AM timf79

My Olympic distance training plan... feedback please

Started by abreakey
Views: 1093 Posts: 9

2012-06-08 7:39 PM bhctri

AQUA JOGGING-Looking for Feedback,Plans from those who have experience

Started by isis
Views: 1726 Posts: 5

2008-01-03 10:16 AM the bear

Race Day Hydration & Nutrition Plan - for newbie

Started by raytong
Views: 717 Posts: 2

2006-04-15 9:08 AM RafeOsha

My HIM nutrition plan Pages: 1 2

Started by TH3_FRB
Views: 2167 Posts: 38

2005-09-06 11:09 PM TriBodyboarder
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 7, 2009
author : EnduranceFilms
comments : 1
Learn the important aspects of a successful pre-race nutrition plan including carbo-loading and eating the morning of the race.

date : October 22, 2008
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
If I am 'hammering it' the entire time do I need to take any nutrition with me on this sprint race? I know under normal training I wouldn't need any additional nutrition for this distance.
date : October 7, 2008
comments : 3
Learn how to top off your muscles with energy during your race weekend taper! Carbo-load correctly and alleviate the possibility of GI distress by choosing the correct foods and when to eat them.

date : August 20, 2008
author : Nancy Clark
For many athletes and active people, nutrition is their missing link. Here are a few ABC’s to get you started on the path to winning with good nutrition.
date : May 20, 2008
comments : 3
Are your long workouts approaching 3 hours? Can't seem to eat enough or time your nutrition? Use the following calorie recommendations and recipes to create your own meal plan.

date : August 17, 2007
Use this guide as a tool to perfect your nutrition during all three disciplines in a triathlon. Because not everyone requires the same quantity of macronutrients, be sure to practice your plan.
date : February 12, 2007
Now is the time to practice, perfect and master your training and racing nutrition. Especially for the beginner triathlete, this is the time for developing an individualized nutrition plan.

date : June 14, 2005
author : chrisandniki
comments : 4
Solid nutrition principles for those not wanting to put a lot of thought into eating healthy.